[libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

[libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi.

I have recently joined this mailing list and this awesome community. :)

As i see the list of languages where translation community is present, i found that following language teams are not available [1].

1. Dogri
2. Kashmiri
3. Konkani
4. Manipuri
5. Sanskrit
6. Santali
7. Sindhi
8. Urdu

I would like to create the teams for these languages and start contributing towards translations of LIbre Office. Kindly help / Guide me on this topic.

As i have already written in my previous email, i would also like to contribute to other languages where teams are already present.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language_Teams

Chandrakant Dhutadmal
Senior Technical Officer,
C-DAC, Pune.
Pune, India.
http://www.cdac.in

Chris Leonard Chris Leonard

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Just FYI, This group from C-DAC recently made a big push to submit
numerous TuxPaint L10n files.  It would be in the best interests of
LibreOffice to accomodate their request.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:21 AM, chandrakant dhutadmal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have recently joined this mailing list and this awesome community. :)
>
> As i see the list of languages where translation community is present, i found that following language teams are not available [1].
>
> 1. Dogri
> 2. Kashmiri
> 3. Konkani
> 4. Manipuri
> 5. Sanskrit
> 6. Santali
> 7. Sindhi
> 8. Urdu
>

> I would like to create the teams for these languages and start contributing towards translations of LIbre Office. Kindly help / Guide me on this topic.
>

> As i have already written in my previous email, i would also like to contribute to other languages where teams are already present.
>
> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language_Teams
>

> Chandrakant Dhutadmal
> Senior Technical Officer,
> C-DAC, Pune.
> Pune, India.
> http://www.cdac.in

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Chandrakant,

Sorry to not welcome you earlier, it seems you message took a wrong
direction in my mailer.

So welcome to our team, we are very pleased to have you on board!

Answering between your lines:

Le 02/05/2014 16:40, Chris Leonard a écrit :

> Just FYI, This group from C-DAC recently made a big push to submit
> numerous TuxPaint L10n files.  It would be in the best interests of
> LibreOffice to accomodate their request.
>
> cjl Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator
>
> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:21 AM, chandrakant dhutadmal
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have recently joined this mailing list and this awesome
>> community. :)
>>
>> As i see the list of languages where translation community is
>> present, i found that following language teams are not available
>> [1].
>>
>> 1. Dogri 2. Kashmiri 3. Konkani 4. Manipuri 5. Sanskrit 6. Santali
>> 7. Sindhi 8. Urdu
>>

>> I would like to create the teams for these languages and start
>> contributing towards translations of LIbre Office. Kindly help /
>> Guide me on this topic.

You should find most of the information on our wiki:
See here to begin:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice
The guide to use our Pootle version:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PootleGuide
The guide to translate our .po files
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UI_and_Help_files_Content_Guide
The main page for other localization aspects:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language

>> As i have already written in my previous email, i would also like
>> to contribute to other languages where teams are already present.

Thanks a lot for that. Let me know if you have any question.
Cheers
Sophie

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chandrakant,
>
> Sorry to not welcome you earlier, it seems you message took a wrong
> direction in my mailer.
>
> So welcome to our team, we are very pleased to have you on board!

This is indeed very exciting news. The one request I'd make is to
ensure that the contributors/translators to these languages are
subscribed to this and other relevant lists. These will help put in
place the first group of participants around which a community can
evolve.

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi.

Sorry to come back late on this thread.

Yes, i would definitely ask the translators to subscribe to this and other relevant lists. In this way, we will be able to have different team coordinator's for all the remaining languages and the can coordinate all of the tasks related to localization of LibreOffice for that language.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal.
C-DAC, Pune, India.

Hi
On Monday, May 12, 2014 6:59 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chandrakant,
>
> Sorry to not welcome you earlier, it seems you message took a wrong
> direction in my mailer.
>
> So welcome to our team, we are very pleased to have you on board!

This is indeed very exciting news. The one request I'd make is to
ensure that the contributors/translators to these languages are
subscribed to this and other relevant lists. These will help put in
place the first group of participants around which a community can
evolve.

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Sophie.

I have a very specific question to ask, though it may be very simple for you to answer. :)

How do i create new language translation team for LibreOffice as other language teams on https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language_Teams ?. Is it just a matter of creating an account on wiki.documentfoundation.org and edit the language teams page ?
I wish to start the language team for Santali language and contribute in translations of LIbreOffice with the help of community members. Please guide me on this aspect.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal.
C-DAC, Pune, India.
On Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:03 PM, chandrakant dhutadmal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

Sorry to come back late on this thread.

Yes, i would definitely ask the translators to subscribe to this and other relevant lists. In this way, we will be able to have different team coordinator's for all the remaining languages and the can coordinate all of the tasks related to localization of LibreOffice for that language.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal.
C-DAC, Pune, India.

Hi
On Monday, May 12, 2014 6:59 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chandrakant,
>
> Sorry to not welcome you earlier, it seems you message took a wrong
> direction in my mailer.
>
> So welcome to our team, we are very pleased to have you on board!

This is indeed very exciting news. The one request I'd make is to
ensure that the contributors/translators to these languages are
subscribed to this and other relevant lists. These will help put in
place the first group of participants around which a community can
evolve.

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

Re: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Chandrakant,

In the case of Santali, there is already a team and a partial translation:
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/sat/

It looks like Santali has been dormant for a long time (there's no
contact in the Language Teams list even) so it's probably relatively
easy to request rights for Santali if you wish to take it on board.

Best,

Michael

21/05/2014 10:39, sgrìobh chandrakant dhutadmal:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Michael.

Thanks for the information. Actually i was aware of this thing but since i could not locate information about language teams for 8 languages, i thought of asking in the email.

Any ways that means there is at least a partial translation of LibreOffice available for all Indian languages. The question now remains is how to contact these team(s) or coordinator(s) for contributing further from my side as i dont have any information available.

I would also like to ask how to get the admin rights for Santali and other languages ? Anybody answering this question would be appreciated much.

Thanks and Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal
C-DAC, Pune, India.

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

This list is the right place for all these questions. So let's say
you're interested in Gondi. Your first step would be to check the Team
List and Pootle to see if there's a team. If there's a team listed, you
can contact them. If there's no team in the list but a project on
Pootle, see if there has been any activity recently. In either case,
your next stop is then this list where you can ask either about
contacting the user(s) who were last active and/or about taking on the
locale.

So looking at your original list:

> 1. Dogri
New locale, will have to be set up
> 2. Kashmiri
Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
to take on this locale
> 3. Konkani
Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
to take on this locale
> 4. Manipuri
Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
to take on this locale
> 5. Sanskrit
Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
to take on this locale
> 6. Santali
Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
to take on this locale
> 7. Sindhi
Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
to take on this locale
> 8. Urdu
Locale looks a bit inactive but contact is listed. You should be able to
obtain translator rights (or your team member who will be doing Urdu)
relatively quickly. I think it's then better to show a lot of
translation activity first and to contact the current leader and see
what they say about you taking over. If there's no answer for a long
time, get back to the list.

You may have to prepare some locale data for some of these but I can
help you with that if necessary.

Not sure who handles new locales at the moment, Andras, is it you?

Michael

22/05/2014 05:24, sgrìobh chandrakant dhutadmal:

> Hi Michael.
>
> Thanks for the information. Actually i was aware of this thing but
> since i could not locate information about language teams for 8
> languages, i thought of asking in the email.
>
> Any ways that means there is at least a partial translation of
> LibreOffice available for all Indian languages. The question now
> remains is how to contact these team(s) or coordinator(s) for
> contributing further from my side as i dont have any information
> available.
>
> I would also like to ask how to get the admin rights for Santali and
> other languages ? Anybody answering this question would be appreciated
> much.

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi.

I logged into https://translations.documentfoundation.org and chose Santali language. But i am not able to type or copy /paste any translated strings there. So, how do I contribute?.

Does someone have to grant me permissions for specific language?. As I see last activity for Santali language was done by timar a year ago.

For Dogri language, the project is already available in pootle (https://translations.documentfoundation.org/dgo/).

If anybody in this list is already looking after above mentioned languages, please let me know. Else, I am ready to take them on, one at a time  :)

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:20 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

This list is the right place for all these questions. So let's say you're interested in Gondi. Your first step would be to check the Team List and Pootle to see if there's a team. If there's a team listed, you can contact them. If there's no team in the list but a project on Pootle, see if there has been any activity recently. In either case, your next stop is then this list where you can ask either about contacting the user(s) who were last active and/or about taking on the locale.

So looking at your original list:

1. Dogri

New locale, will have to be set up

2. Kashmiri

Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able to take on this locale

3. Konkani

Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able to take on this locale
4. Manipuri

Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able to take on this locale
5. Sanskrit

Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able to take on this locale
6. Santali

Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able to take on this locale
7. Sindhi

Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able to take on this locale
8. Urdu
Locale looks a bit inactive but contact is listed. You should be able to obtain translator rights (or your team member who will be doing Urdu) relatively quickly. I think it's then better to show a lot of translation activity first and to contact the current leader and see what they say about you taking over. If there's no answer for a long time, get back to the list.

You may have to prepare some locale data for some of these but I can
    help you with that if necessary.

Not sure who handles new locales at the moment, Andras, is it you?

Michael

22/05/2014 05:24, sgrìobh chandrakant dhutadmal:

Hi Michael.

>Thanks for the information. Actually i was aware of this thing but since i could not locate information about language teams for 8 languages, i thought of asking in the email.
>

>Any ways that means there is at least a partial translation of LibreOffice available for all Indian languages. The question now remains is how to contact these team(s) or coordinator(s) for contributing further from my side as i dont have any information available.
>

>I would also like to ask how to get the admin rights for Santali and other languages ? Anybody answering this question would be appreciated much.

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Ah I missed Dogri.

Yes, you need permissions. Just give the admins a little time to
respond, most of us a volunteers so stuff doesn't always happen immediately.

Michael

22/05/2014 11:41, sgrìobh chandrakant dhutadmal:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Andras Timar Andras Timar

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM, chandrakant dhutadmal
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I logged into https://translations.documentfoundation.org and chose Santali
> language. But i am not able to type or copy /paste any translated strings
> there. So, how do I contribute?.

I gave you ("chandrakantd") admin rights to Santali.

> Does someone have to grant me permissions for specific language?. As I see
> last activity for Santali language was done by timar a year ago.

I fixed formatting bugs only. I don't know Santali. :)

Best regards,
Andras

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Thanks Andras.

Appreciate your quick response on this matter.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I logged into https://translations.documentfoundation.org and chose Santali
> language. But i am not able to type or copy /paste any translated strings
> there. So, how do I contribute?.

I gave you ("chandrakantd") admin rights to Santali.

> Does someone have to grant me permissions for specific language?. As I see
> last activity for Santali language was done by timar a year ago.

I fixed formatting bugs only. I don't know Santali. :)

Best regards,

Andras

Re: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Michael, *,

Thanks to bringing it to my attention.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Christian,
>
> Could you look into these requests from Chandra? Maybe it slipped through
> on the list. He's quite active on Mozilla so I think his project(s) are
> bona fide.

He's sending using a yahoo address, and yahoo employs DMARC, and google
mail respects DMARC settings, this is fatal as all mails from yahoo users
that is processed by a mailinglist will be rejected (i.e. I and all other
users whose mail-provider respects dmarc will never get it).

> Are you the main gatekeeper for new translators/locales these days?

I'm the one who deals with extracting the translations from pootle and
putting them into the sourcecode and for updating the templates on pootle
and stuff. I'm not a gatekeeper of some sort regarding pootle
administration. I happen to also have administrative rights on pootle, but
setting up new locales or adding people to languages can be done by other
pootle admins as well.

In this case, Andras already handled the request as far as I can tell:
Andras Timar wrote on May 22nd:
"I gave you ("chandrakantd") admin rights to Santali."

So if there's still a problem, please let me know.

ciao
Christian

> -------- An teachdaireachd thùsail --------  Cuspair: Re:
> [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)  Ceann-là:
> Thu, 22 May 2014 03:41:30 -0700 (PDT)  O: chandrakant dhutadmal
> <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>  Freagairt gu: chandrakant
> dhutadmal <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>  Gu:
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]><[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
>
>  Hi.
>
>  I logged into https://translations.documentfoundation.org and chose
> Santali language. But i am not able to type or copy /paste any translated
> strings there. So, how do I contribute?.
>  [...]

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Fw: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Michael.

I am representing an organization named Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) based in Pune, India. You might want to take a look at   http://www.cdac.in/gist for more information about my organization. C-DAC is an autonomous scientific society under Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Govt. of India.

As i had mentioned in my earlier email, there is a team up here which has been dealing with translation and localization of various free and open source softwares for quite some time now. C-DAC felt that it is better to join the main community by contributing this work of translation which C-DAC team has already done. Hence this request of additing so many Indian languages on to translation platform (pootle). I am ready to coordinate for requested languages untill someone else joins any of these language teams. The moment some one joins these languages, and is confident of taking up these tasks, i will make myself free from those languages and contribute to other aspects of the project. :)

I dont speak all of these languages. I know only from Marathi and Hindi.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal,
C-DAC, Pune, India.

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:10 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

27/05/2014 15:04, sgrìobh Christian Lohmaier:
> Hi Michael, *,
>
> Thanks to bringing it to my attention.
You're welcome!

> He's sending using a yahoo address, and yahoo employs
 DMARC, and
> google mail respects DMARC settings, this is fatal as all mails from
> yahoo users that is processed by a mailinglist will be rejected (i.e.
> I and all other users whose mail-provider respects dmarc will never
> get it).
Ah I wasn't aware of that. Maybe we need a warning on the mailing list page
> I'm the one who deals with extracting the translations from pootle and
> putting them into the sourcecode and for updating the templates on
> pootle and stuff. I'm not a gatekeeper of some sort regarding pootle
> administration. I happen to also have administrative rights on pootle,
> but setting up new locales or adding people to languages can be done
> by other pootle admins as well.
Ok. If I wanted to become a pootle
 admin for LO, who should I talk to do
you reckon?

> In this case, Andras already handled the request as far as I can tell:
For Santali, yes. I believe Chandra is part of a bigger group and asked
for access to quite a lot of dormant locales. I'm pasting my original
response to him so you can see which languages he was asking about. So I
believe Urdu and Santali aside, Chandra's questions haven't been fully
answered.

Chandra, it might help if you tell us a little about your team? Is it a
team or organization you represent? I'm guessing you don't speak all
these yourself?

>> 1. Dogri
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this
 locale

>> 2. Kashmiri
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this locale
>> 3. Konkani
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this locale
>> 4. Manipuri
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this locale
>> 5. Sanskrit
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this locale
>> 6. Santali
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this locale
>> 7. Sindhi
> Locale looks very dormant, no locale
 leader listed, you should be able
> to take on this locale
>> 8. Urdu
> Locale looks a bit inactive but contact is listed. You should be able
> to obtain translator rights (or your team member who will be doing
> Urdu) relatively quickly. I think it's then better to show a lot of
> translation activity first and to contact the current leader and see
> what they say about you taking over. If there's no answer for a long
> time, get back to the list.

Michael

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

Re: Fw: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Chandrakant,

27/05/2014 16:49, sgrìobh chandrakant dhutadmal:

> I am representing an organization named Centre for Development of
> Advanced Computing (C-DAC) based in Pune, India. You might want to
> take a look at http://www.cdac.in/gist for more information about my
> organization. C-DAC is an autonomous scientific society under Ministry
> of Communications and Information Technology, Govt. of India.
[...]

Thanks for that info. I've had my rights upped on Pootle so I can now
handle this for you :)

> >> 1. Dogri
> > Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> > to take on this locale
I've given you most rights for Dogri and added you to the list of teams
as a contact
> >> 2. Kashmiri
> > Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> > to take on this locale
I've given you most rights for Kashmiri and added you to the list of
teams as a contact
> >> 3. Konkani
> > Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> > to take on this locale
I've given you most rights for Konkani and added you to the list of
teams as a contact
> >> 4. Manipuri
> > Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> > to take on this locale
I've given you most rights for Manipuri and added you to the list of
teams as a contact
> >> 5. Sanskrit
> > Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> > to take on this locale
I've given you most rights for Sanskrit and added you to the list of
teams as a contact
> >> 6. Santali

You already have rights to this one
> > to take on this locale
> >> 7. Sindhi
> > Locale looks very dormant, no locale leader listed, you should be able
> > to take on this locale
I've given you most rights for Sindi and added you to the list of teams
as a contact
> >> 8. Urdu
> > Locale looks a bit inactive but contact is listed. You should be able
> > to obtain translator rights (or your team member who will be doing
> > Urdu) relatively quickly. I think it's then better to show a lot of
> > translation activity first and to contact the current leader and see
> > what they say about you taking over. If there's no answer for a long
> > time, get back to the list.
Because there already is a locale leader, you need to contact them
first. But given the inactivity (last Aug 2013) I have given you limited
rights to submit translations (you can see them, download them, upload
new ones) but you cannot admin the locale or overwrite/change existing
translations for now.

Happy translating!

Cheers

Michael

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: Fw: [libreoffice-l10n] New Language teams for Libre Office (Indian languages)

Hi Michael.

Thanks for the rights given for several languages. I will contribute for these languages and will keep you informed.

I have not yet contacted Urdu locale coordinator. Will get in touch with that team as well.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal
C-DAC, Pune, India.