[libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

[libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Pardon my French but the Pootle downtimes are getting ridiculous. Surely
to goodness there must be a way of running upgrades without bringing
down a live system for a month or two at a time...

Michael

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Perhaps we could look at Transifex as an alternative (even though I hate
its UI)?

Belkacem Mohammed Belkacem Mohammed

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Mozilla is using a funny TMS called Pontoon. https://pontoon.mozilla.org/.
We are using it to localize Mozilla content and software (into Kabyle, in
my case).

> Perhaps we could look at Transifex as an alternative (even though I hate
> its UI)?

chandrakant dhutadmal-2 chandrakant dhutadmal-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Funny TMS ? I didnt quite get it. Was it sarcastic comment or you really enjoy using it ?
Regards,Chandrakant Dhutadmal.

    On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:51 PM, Muḥend Belqasem <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Mozilla is using a funny TMS called Pontoon. https://pontoon.mozilla.org/.
We are using it to localize Mozilla content and software (into Kabyle, in
my case).

> Perhaps we could look at Transifex as an alternative (even though I hate
> its UI)?

Sveinn í Felli-2 Sveinn í Felli-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Þann þri 14.feb 2017 04:28, skrifaði Adolfo Jayme Barrientos:
> Perhaps we could look at Transifex as an alternative (even though I hate
> its UI)?

I'm not sure this is right now about switching to another tool, but
rather about maybe changing the setup:
As Michael hinted at, maybe it's better running updates/upgrades on a
parallel system instead of the current live instance. Then switch
IP-addresses or virtual machines once the maintenance is done (and tested).

Sveinn í Felli

Belkacem Mohammed Belkacem Mohammed

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

@ Chandrakant Dhutadmal.

No!!! no sarcasm. Just mean that the new TMS (Pontoon), is very smart,
light, easy to use
:)

> Funny TMS ? I didnt quite get it. Was it sarcastic comment or you really
> enjoy using it ?
>
> Regards,
> Chandrakant Dhutadmal.
>

> On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:51 PM, Muḥend Belqasem <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Mozilla is using a funny TMS called Pontoon. https://pontoon.mozilla.org/.
> We are using it to localize Mozilla content and software (into Kabyle, in
> my case).

> > Perhaps we could look at Transifex as an alternative (even though I hate
> > its UI)?
> >
> > --
> > deleted

*M. BelkacemIngénieur Systèmes informatiques ESI (Ex INI)Consultant
technico-fonctionnel  Odoo-Chef de projet IT /Formateur*
*Opensource Localizer*

*Tel :*  00213555044419
*mail :* [hidden email], [hidden email]
*Skype :*  belkacem.mohammed3

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Hi all

Le 14 févr. 2017 08:59, "Sveinn í Felli" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Þann þri 14.feb 2017 04:28, skrifaði Adolfo Jayme Barrientos:

> Perhaps we could look at Transifex as an alternative (even though I hate
> its UI)?

I'm not sure this is right now about switching to another tool, but rather
about maybe changing the setup:
As Michael hinted at, maybe it's better running updates/upgrades on a
parallel system instead of the current live instance. Then switch
IP-addresses or virtual machines once the maintenance is done (and tested).

Yes this is the lesson learned :( that should not be long now, Dwayne and
his team should be over soon and Cloph will proceed. I'll keep you informed
with the info I get.
Cheers
Sophie

Mihovil Stanić Mihovil Stanić

14.02.2017 u 10:02, Sophie Gautier je napisao/la:

> Yes this is the lesson learned :( that should not be long now, Dwayne and
> his team should be over soon and Cloph will proceed. I'll keep you informed
> with the info I get.
> Cheers
> Sophie

Dwayne is managing Mozilla Pootle also, and their upgrade it done
frequently (every few weeks, sometimes more then once a week) and
usually lasts 5-15 minutes.
Not sure why TDF Pootle upgrade has so much problems since it's
similliar to Mozilla size (massive strings in a lot of languages).

Mihovil

Kevin Suo Kevin Suo

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

I am wondering the server specifications of TDF. What's the CPU and Memery?

Access from China to the TDF servers is too slow, the download speed of
dev-builds.libreoffice.org is less than 20KB/s for me. The pootle is
also slow. While when I download from my own VPS server located in the
U.S. from China, the speed is >500KB/s.

Kevin Suo

在 2017年02月14日 17:18, Mihovil Stanić 写道:

> 14.02.2017 u 10:02, Sophie Gautier je napisao/la:
>>
>> Yes this is the lesson learned :( that should not be long now, Dwayne
>> and
>> his team should be over soon and Cloph will proceed. I'll keep you
>> informed
>> with the info I get.
>> Cheers
>> Sophie
>>

> Dwayne is managing Mozilla Pootle also, and their upgrade it done
> frequently (every few weeks, sometimes more then once a week) and
> usually lasts 5-15 minutes.
> Not sure why TDF Pootle upgrade has so much problems since it's
> similliar to Mozilla size (massive strings in a lot of languages).
>
> Mihovil

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

I wasn't suggesting switching tools either, they all come with their own
annoyances. Transifex doesn't have the greatest UI and adding new
locales can take forever. Pontoon is hardly a TMS, it matches 100%
matches but other than that, I find it highly ineffective as a TM.
There's nothing wrong with Pootle, it's pretty much the best I reckon of
the FOSS TMs out there, it's just the way these updates take place that
is ineffective on LO.

Michael

Sgrìobh Sophie Gautier na leanas 14/02/2017 aig 09:02:

> I'm not sure this is right now about switching to another tool, but rather
> about maybe changing the setup:
> As Michael hinted at, maybe it's better running updates/upgrades on a
> parallel system instead of the current live instance. Then switch
> IP-addresses or virtual machines once the maintenance is done (and tested).
>

> Yes this is the lesson learned:(  that should not be long now, Dwayne and
> his team should be over soon and Cloph will proceed. I'll keep you informed
> with the info I get.
> Cheers
> Sophie

Yaron Shahrabani Yaron Shahrabani

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

I personally think that Weblate surpassed Pootle although I like Pootle
very much.
It is more tightly git integrated and very convenient, the developer is
also hosting the solution so he has financial support for development.

http://weblate.org

Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

sophi sophi

Le 14/02/2017 à 10:18, Mihovil Stanić a écrit :

> 14.02.2017 u 10:02, Sophie Gautier je napisao/la:
>>
>> Yes this is the lesson learned :( that should not be long now, Dwayne and
>> his team should be over soon and Cloph will proceed. I'll keep you
>> informed
>> with the info I get.
>> Cheers
>> Sophie
>>

> Dwayne is managing Mozilla Pootle also, and their upgrade it done
> frequently (every few weeks, sometimes more then once a week) and
> usually lasts 5-15 minutes.
> Not sure why TDF Pootle upgrade has so much problems since it's
> similliar to Mozilla size (massive strings in a lot of languages).

During Fosdem meeting, Dwayne said that we are by far the biggest
database to manage. The fact that we have met a problem on KVM/QEMU was
also not expected. We have learn for the next migration that an isolated
test case on a VM will be the way to go.
For the moment, Dwayne's team has prepared a manual migration, I'm
waiting for their feedback to know for how long we will still have to wait.
Sorry for the inconvenience,
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Takeshi Abe Takeshi Abe

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle downtime

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:45:11 +0100, Sophie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> During Fosdem meeting, Dwayne said that we are by far the biggest
> database to manage. The fact that we have met a problem on KVM/QEMU was
> also not expected. We have learn for the next migration that an isolated
> test case on a VM will be the way to go.
> For the moment, Dwayne's team has prepared a manual migration, I'm
> waiting for their feedback to know for how long we will still have to wait.
I would like to thank Dwayne and co for handling the issue under pressure.
Downtime always reminds me that their effort is significant for us localizers.

At the same time it would be useful to have report from the front line
communicating details in a transparent way. For example, regular e.g. daily
status updates about what's going on may help people understand the situation
better.

Cheers,
-- Takeshi Abe

Dwayne Bailey Dwayne Bailey

On 14 February 2017 at 14:43, Takeshi Abe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:45:11 +0100, Sophie <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > During Fosdem meeting, Dwayne said that we are by far the biggest
> > database to manage. The fact that we have met a problem on KVM/QEMU was
> > also not expected. We have learn for the next migration that an isolated
> > test case on a VM will be the way to go.
> > For the moment, Dwayne's team has prepared a manual migration, I'm
> > waiting for their feedback to know for how long we will still have to
> wait.
> I would like to thank Dwayne and co for handling the issue under pressure.
> Downtime always reminds me that their effort is significant for us
> localizers.
>
> At the same time it would be useful to have report from the front line
> communicating details in a transparent way. For example, regular e.g. daily
> status updates about what's going on may help people understand the
> situation
> better.

As requested some news from the front line.

Firstly, as the people who create Pootle and are passionate about
localisation, our apologies for this downtime.

The TDF server itself is large, certainly the largest instance we have
seen.  This has brought it into a data realm that needed some new
approaches to migrations.

The Pootle team has been working hard to get the LO Pootle server
operational again, working closely with the LO team at both a code and ops
level.

So again we apologise for the downtime.  We expect the new server to be
faster.

Once the dust has cleared we will debrief with the LO ops and work out a
plan that will limit future downtime.

I hope that my next email will point to the live server.

--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)