[libreoffice-l10n] Pootle engagement with Mozilla

12 « Prev
khagaroth khagaroth

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle engagement with Mozilla

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Dwayne Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 04/05/2012 09:55, khagaroth wrote:
>> tag/variable highlighting in the _translation_ not only in the source
>
> Nice, I also want that.  Not sure it is on our scope though.

Yes, this would be really helpful for LO, it is a real pain to
fix/translate the (xml based) help files without syntax highlighting.
Combined with the bad quality of the source xml (causing a lot of
false positives on the checks), I'm actually thinking if it wouldn't
be easier to translate the xml files directly using some xml editor
(and simultaneously fix the source).

>> and some more quality checks (especially consistency checks).
>>
> We already have a lot of quality checks.  By consistency do you mean
> something like check that I have translated X as Y consistently?  We have
> tools for doing that offline, but online in Pootle :(
>
> I'm not sure how many people use the Terminology suggestion feature of
> Pootle? That helps a lot of teams maintain consistency.
>
> But back to checks.  If you have ideas for reducing false positives, new
> checks, or improving checks then please let us know.  They are not that hard
> to write but even if you can express them in a simple pseudo code taking
> source and target text then we can quite easily implement them.

Yes, that's what I mean with consistency checks. The external tool I
use does have two checks, one checking that a particular source has
always the same translation and the other, that one particular
translation is used only for one particular source.

Danylo Korostil Danylo Korostil

On 05/07/2012 03:47 PM, F Wolff wrote:
> Which version of Virtaal are you using? From your comment (2) I guess it
> is before 0.7. With version 0.7, you can go to File ->  Properties to see
> statistics like those (as strings, or as words).
I meant visible somewhere on pane.

> Version 0.7 also improved performance in a few areas. Hopefully an
> upgrade is all you need. If not, feel free to add the file (or a URL) in
> a bug report so that a developer can have a look at why it is slow:
> http://bugs.locamotion.org/
Version is 0.7.1. For example, you may open Evolution po file and try
it. I have time to go to the kitchen for the cup of water till it opens.
:) Probably that's because of my old computer, but gtranslator and
lokalize is fine.

F Wolff F Wolff

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Pootle engagement with Mozilla

Op Ma, 2012-05-07 om 18:21 +0300 skryf Коростіль Данило:
> On 05/07/2012 03:47 PM, F Wolff wrote:
> > Which version of Virtaal are you using? From your comment (2) I guess it
> > is before 0.7. With version 0.7, you can go to File ->  Properties to see
> > statistics like those (as strings, or as words).
> I meant visible somewhere on pane.

Ah, ok. I'd like to hear your ideas of how to present that visually.
People have some very different ideas, so I've not had certainty of what
the best direction is to go in.

> > Version 0.7 also improved performance in a few areas. Hopefully an
> > upgrade is all you need. If not, feel free to add the file (or a URL) in
> > a bug report so that a developer can have a look at why it is slow:
> > http://bugs.locamotion.org/
> Version is 0.7.1. For example, you may open Evolution po file and try
> it. I have time to go to the kitchen for the cup of water till it opens.
> :) Probably that's because of my old computer, but gtranslator and
> lokalize is fine.

On my laptop (more than 3 years old) it opens in seconds. I tried it on
an old netbook, and it took about 18 seconds, which is probably already
frustrating. I'll try to look into this, testing it on the netbook to
see how it can be improved.

Just so that I know what you are dealing with:

 - more or less how long does it take to open the file?
 - what are your hardware specifications?
 - what operating system and version do you use?

I think at this point we should probably take it off this mailing list
as it is a bit off topic here, I guess :-)

Keep well
Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: