[libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Tadele Assefa Tadele Assefa

[libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Dear All,

We are translating the Libreoffice to Sidama (in Ethiopia). Our
problem is this; some of our team members are language experts who do
not know tags etc in the po files AND (computer usage infact). As the
Help po files are so large we proposed to print the po files without
the tags as pure text and then after the language guys finish the
translation on paper, we will type and tag the translations. is there
a tool we can use to accomplish this?

--
Regards,*
___________________________

Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
*Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*

Jānis Jānis

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Citējot Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]>
Sat, 8 Dec 2012 22:27:49 +0300:

> Dear All,
>
> We are translating the Libreoffice to Sidama (in Ethiopia). Our
> problem is this; some of our team members are language experts who do
> not know tags etc in the po files AND (computer usage infact). As the
> Help po files are so large we proposed to print the po files without
> the tags as pure text and then after the language guys finish the
> translation on paper, we will type and tag the translations. is there
> a tool we can use to accomplish this?

if those are classic .po files, you can use Poedit or Virtaal (both
available for Linux and Windows). in case of xml - no idea.

Janis

Yaron Shahrabani Yaron Shahrabani

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Hey guys!
These are great news!
If you need we can probably compose some sort of regex that eliminated the
tags, after accomplishing that task we can use Poedit to produce an HTML
output.

Kind regards,
Yaron Shahrabani.

Yaron Shahrabani

<Hebrew translator>

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are translating the Libreoffice to Sidama (in Ethiopia). Our
> problem is this; some of our team members are language experts who do
> not know tags etc in the po files AND (computer usage infact). As the
> Help po files are so large we proposed to print the po files without
> the tags as pure text and then after the language guys finish the
> translation on paper, we will type and tag the translations. is there
> a tool we can use to accomplish this?
>
> --
> Regards,*
> ___________________________
> Tadele Assefa
> Managing Director*
> *
>
> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
> *Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*

Constantine Mousafiris Constantine Mousafiris

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Hi Yaron and good morning to everyone!
Just let me express my appreciation about this idea!
I am also an enthusiastic translator in my mother tongue (Greek), but as
I am not a really  tech-savvy person, so ...
I quickly get tired and annoyed with the intense and continuous effort I
have to commit, in order to avoid messing up with those tags...
It would be a real blessing for all volunteers like myself, to be
liberated from this business.
If this "regex" thingy can give us a hand, then kudos!

Constantine

On 09/12/2012 10:25 πμ, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:

> Hey guys!
> These are great news!
> If you need we can probably compose some sort of regex that eliminated the
> tags, after accomplishing that task we can use Poedit to produce an HTML
> output.
>
> Kind regards,
> Yaron Shahrabani.
>
> Yaron Shahrabani
>
> <Hebrew translator>
>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> We are translating the Libreoffice to Sidama (in Ethiopia). Our
>> problem is this; some of our team members are language experts who do
>> not know tags etc in the po files AND (computer usage infact). As the
>> Help po files are so large we proposed to print the po files without
>> the tags as pure text and then after the language guys finish the
>> translation on paper, we will type and tag the translations. is there
>> a tool we can use to accomplish this?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,*
>> ___________________________
>> Tadele Assefa
>> Managing Director*
>> *
>>
>> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
>> *Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*

>> deleted

Yaron Shahrabani Yaron Shahrabani

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

This is what I came up with so far.
There are several disadvantages and I would also like to add an option to
extract the "alt" text and put it in parenthesis (instead of removing it).

Any help is appreciated, feel free to comment and fix, after we will come
up with the appropriate solution we can make a nice script out of it for
every platform required:
http://regexpal.com/?flags=g&regex=%3C%5B%2F%5D%3F%5B%5Cw%5Cs%5C%3D%5C%22%5D*%3E&input=%3Cdata%3EThis%20text%3C%2Fdata%3E%0A%0A%3Cjust%20some%20tag%3D%22altt%22%3E

Yaron Shahrabani

<Hebrew translator>

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Kostas Mousafiris <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Yaron and good morning to everyone!
> Just let me express my appreciation about this idea!
> I am also an enthusiastic translator in my mother tongue (Greek), but as
> I am not a really  tech-savvy person, so ...
> I quickly get tired and annoyed with the intense and continuous effort I
> have to commit, in order to avoid messing up with those tags...
> It would be a real blessing for all volunteers like myself, to be
> liberated from this business.
> If this "regex" thingy can give us a hand, then kudos!
>
> Constantine
>

> On 09/12/2012 10:25 πμ, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> > Hey guys!
> > These are great news!
> > If you need we can probably compose some sort of regex that eliminated
> the
> > tags, after accomplishing that task we can use Poedit to produce an HTML
> > output.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Yaron Shahrabani.
> >
> > Yaron Shahrabani
> >
> > <Hebrew translator>
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> We are translating the Libreoffice to Sidama (in Ethiopia). Our
> >> problem is this; some of our team members are language experts who do
> >> not know tags etc in the po files AND (computer usage infact). As the
> >> Help po files are so large we proposed to print the po files without
> >> the tags as pure text and then after the language guys finish the
> >> translation on paper, we will type and tag the translations. is there
> >> a tool we can use to accomplish this?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,*
> >> ___________________________
> >> Tadele Assefa
> >> Managing Director*
> >> *
> >>
> >> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
> >> *Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*
> >>
> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted

Tadele Assefa Tadele Assefa

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Yaron,

If it can be made to cleare the tags, i think your idea of 'regex' is
brilliant. I was thinking of converting the po to csv open them in
text editor and remove similar tags by search and replace, and the
left overs by hand.... which is more of tiresome job for so many
files.

Please expand the regex as much as possible and release it.

Thanks,

___________________________
Tadele Assefa
Managing Director

Cell: +25-911-84-13-84
Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to

Yaron Shahrabani Yaron Shahrabani

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

I still need some info from the translation maintainers:
What type of tags are there in the translation? (I'm not sure about the
type of tags).

And Tadele: could you please show me some types of the tags you want to
eliminate?

(Please type the entire text and what should be the output).

Kind regards,

Yaron Shahrabani

<Hebrew translator>

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yaron,
>
> If it can be made to cleare the tags, i think your idea of 'regex' is
> brilliant. I was thinking of converting the po to csv open them in
> text editor and remove similar tags by search and replace, and the
> left overs by hand.... which is more of tiresome job for so many
> files.
>
> Please expand the regex as much as possible and release it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Yaron Shahrabani <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hey guys!
> > These are great news!
> > If you need we can probably compose some sort of regex that eliminated
> the
> > tags, after accomplishing that task we can use Poedit to produce an HTML
> > output.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Yaron Shahrabani.
> >
> > Yaron Shahrabani
> >
> > <Hebrew translator>
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> We are translating the Libreoffice to Sidama (in Ethiopia). Our
> >> problem is this; some of our team members are language experts who do
> >> not know tags etc in the po files AND (computer usage infact). As the
> >> Help po files are so large we proposed to print the po files without
> >> the tags as pure text and then after the language guys finish the
> >> translation on paper, we will type and tag the translations. is there
> >> a tool we can use to accomplish this?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,*
> >> ___________________________
> >> Tadele Assefa
> >> Managing Director*
> >> *
> >>
> >> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
> >> *Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*
> >>
> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted
> >>

> --
> Regards,
> ___________________________
> Tadele Assefa
> Managing Director
>

> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84
> Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to

Tadele Assefa Tadele Assefa

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Hi Everybody,

Lately, I returned to the 'tag elimination' idea because some of our
translators cannot cop up with the tags they see in Virtaal. (We are doing
translation offline). And with a little regex from stackoverflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/a/8784436/1993440> ,
i produced a python script below and got 'clean' text. Here is my entire
'process':

1) po2csv -i x.po -o y.csv => Get CSV
2) Open y.csv in LO and Delete columns A and C
3) run clear-tags.py => get y-clean.csv
4) Open y-clean.csv in LO, run =MOD(ROW(L2),2) on separate column, Filter
the empty row created by po2csv and delete those.
Here<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1xCocIHKT5jS3FELXhCdVJ6Mm8/edit>
is
a sample file i did this way.

As you see this is heavy to do for so many po files. But if this is found
to be good and correct, I think we can make it into a bigger script that
can do this repeatedly for a given directory.

"clear-tags.py"
import re
f = open('y.csv')
text = f.read()
f.close()

clean = re.sub('<[^>]+>', ' ', text)

f = open('y-clean.csv', 'w')
f.write(clean)
f.close()

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Yaron Shahrabani <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I still need some info from the translation maintainers:
> What type of tags are there in the translation? (I'm not sure about the
> type of tags).
>
> And Tadele: could you please show me some types of the tags you want to
> eliminate?
>
> (Please type the entire text and what should be the output).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Yaron Shahrabani
>
> <Hebrew translator>
>

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Yaron,
>>
>> If it can be made to cleare the tags, i think your idea of 'regex' is
>> brilliant. I was thinking of converting the po to csv open them in
>> text editor and remove similar tags by search and replace, and the
>> left overs by hand.... which is more of tiresome job for so many
>> files.
>>
>> Please expand the regex as much as possible and release it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Yaron Shahrabani <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hey guys!
>> > These are great news!
>> > If you need we can probably compose some sort of regex that eliminated
>> the
>> > tags, after accomplishing that task we can use Poedit to produce an HTML
>> > output.
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> > Yaron Shahrabani.
>> >
>> > Yaron Shahrabani
>> >
>> > <Hebrew translator>

>> to*

>> --
>> Regards,
>> ___________________________
>> Tadele Assefa
>> Managing Director
>>

>> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84
>> Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to

--
Regards,*
___________________________
Tadele Assefa
Managing Director*
*

Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
*Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*

Chris Leonard Chris Leonard

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

Tadele,

I'm wondering if pocommentclean from the Translate Toolkit is the
droid you are looking for.

http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/translate-toolkit/en/latest/commands/pocommentclean.html

cjl

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Tadele Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> files.
>>>
>>> Please expand the regex as much as possible and release it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>> the

>>> to*

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> ___________________________
>>> Tadele Assefa
>>> Managing Director
>>>

>>> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84
>>> Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to
>>>

> --
> Regards,*
> ___________________________
> Tadele Assefa
> Managing Director*
> *
>
> Cell: +25-911-84-13-84*
> *Think Green – Please do not print this email unless you really need to*

Zeki Bildirici Zeki Bildirici

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Printing PO file without tag

I do not recommend this type of work. XML tags are not that hard and
translating it in pootle is easy.

Also re-placing the tags could be a nightmare, strings with wrong tags are
not implemented in translations.

Regards,
Zeki