[libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

jihui.choi jihui.choi

[libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

Hello.

I'm translating LibO UI master from pootle.
I faced a sentence which I couldn't understand at all.
Is anyone helps me?

UI master - sc - source - ui - src -
1451 line : "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded,
else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

I guess this is about rounding or ceiling numbers. but that's all. no idea.
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/6767/2/sc/source/ui/src/scfuncs.src,cm

please help me.
thank you.

Jihui Choi

Andras Timar Andras Timar

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Jihui Choi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm translating LibO UI master from pootle.
> I faced a sentence which I couldn't understand at all.
> Is anyone helps me?
>
> UI master - sc - source - ui - src -
> 1451 line : "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded,
> else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."
>
> I guess this is about rounding or ceiling numbers. but that's all. no idea.
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/6767/2/sc/source/ui/src/scfuncs.src,cm

You can read the standard, maybe it is clearer:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part2.html#__RefHeading__1018606_715980110
Some examples:
=CEILING(23.2,1) is 24
=CEILING(23.2,5) is 25
=CEILING(23.2,9) is 27

Regards,
Andras

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

Hi :)
Blimey!  The OASIS description does make it a lot easier to understand.
It's still difficult to wrap my head around!  I can see why it was tricky
trying to get that down to such a short summary!  Could that original
queried summary be expanded easily?  I'd guess not but jic my guess is
wrong i think it's worth asking.  I take it that space there is seriously
limited (otherwise the original summary would have been longer, i'm sure)?

Andras' examples make it MUCH clearer, to me, than either of the
descriptions.  I think they are the only thing that could improve the Oasis
description.  Thanks Andras, that was brilliant! :)

There is another native English-speaker who joined this mailing list a
couple of years ago specifically to try to help with questions like this.
So, please don't be afraid to ask :)  This one was possibly tooo technical
but in the past we had a whole spate of ones that were much easier to
answer.  I'm not sure if it's possible to simplify the Oasis description
but if it's needed i'm sure Anne or others would be happy to help.

Good luck and many regards from
Tom :)

On 27 October 2015 at 08:38, Andras Timar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Jihui Choi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm translating LibO UI master from pootle.
> > I faced a sentence which I couldn't understand at all.
> > Is anyone helps me?
> >
> > UI master - sc - source - ui - src -
> > 1451 line : "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded,
> > else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."
> >
> > I guess this is about rounding or ceiling numbers. but that's all. no
> idea.
> >
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/6767/2/sc/source/ui/src/scfuncs.src,cm
> >

> You can read the standard, maybe it is clearer:
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part2.html#__RefHeading__1018606_715980110
> Some examples:
> =CEILING(23.2,1) is 24
> =CEILING(23.2,5) is 25
> =CEILING(23.2,9) is 27
>
> Regards,
> Andras

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Jihui Choi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm translating LibO UI master from pootle.

General note: Please always give the unit-link - makes stuff much easier.

> I faced a sentence which I couldn't understand at all.
> Is anyone helps me?
>
> UI master - sc - source - ui - src -
> 1451 line : "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded,
> else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

The parameter is the steps to use when rounding up. So when you
specify 5, it is rounded to the next multiple of 5, if you specify 20,
it is rounded to the next multiple of 20. If it is missing, it is the
next whole number (a multiple of 1)

ciao
Christian

dinar qurbanov dinar qurbanov

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

(i had written this only to one address (email) , i did not see they
are several, and now i copy to all including mailing list.)

i think there are missing commas, and different words used for one
thing. it should be:

If given, the number to whose multiple the Value is rounded, else -1
or 1 depending on sign of the Value.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending on sign of Number."

       Still a non-sensical sentence;
          reminds me ... [well, see my previous e-mail  -;)  ]

From: dinar qurbanov <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [Q] What does this sentense mean? "If given
the number to whose multiple the value is rounded, else -1 or 1 depending
on sign of Number."
To: Tom Davies <[hidden email]>
Cc: Andras Timar <[hidden email]>, Jihui Choi <[hidden email]>,
l10n <[hidden email]>