[libreoffice-l10n] [QA] Missing space in Pootle entry

Christian Kühl Christian Kühl

[libreoffice-l10n] [QA] Missing space in Pootle entry

Hi,

we (the german translators) found further typos in two (old) Pootle entries.

In

https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702461

and

https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702296

are missing spaces between "Printer" respectively "file" and the
following "-".

Furthermore the double tags are irritating.

Regards
Christian.

Andras Timar Andras Timar

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [QA] Missing space in Pootle entry

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Christian Kühl
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we (the german translators) found further typos in two (old) Pootle entries.
>
> In
>
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702461
>
> and
>
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702296
>
> are missing spaces between "Printer" respectively "file" and the
> following "-".
>
> Furthermore the double tags are irritating.

Thanks, fixed in Pootle and in git.

Andras

Mihovil Stanic Mihovil Stanic

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [QA] Missing space in Pootle entry

Should this 2 strings be "Border settings" instead of "Border setting"?
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/translate.html#unit=29759963
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/translate.html#unit=29759853

Dana 15.6.2013. 8:58, Andras Timar je napisao:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Christian Kühl
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we (the german translators) found further typos in two (old) Pootle entries.
>>
>> In
>>
>> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702461
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702296
>>
>> are missing spaces between "Printer" respectively "file" and the
>> following "-".
>>
>> Furthermore the double tags are irritating.
> Thanks, fixed in Pootle and in git.
>
> Andras

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [QA] Missing space in Pootle entry

I see a lot of new strings for 4.1 release have now translators
reporting mistakes etc. In previous releases this was not the case.

What is going on? Is there an influx of non-English developers?

Maybe we would need an English native speaker volunteer or two
checking all the freshly checked-in strings for their form so that
volunteers have more time translating and not reporting errors in
original strings. Could this be done?

In the end it is possible that a localized version of LO will have a
stylistically better UI and help because of errors in English strings.

Lp, m.

Sérgio Marques Sérgio Marques

2013/6/15 Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]>

> I see a lot of new strings for 4.1 release have now translators
> reporting mistakes etc. In previous releases this was not the case.
>
> What is going on? Is there an influx of non-English developers?

Even if they are non English native, they should write propper English
strings. Some mistakes are lack of attention.

> Maybe we would need an English native speaker volunteer or two
> checking all the freshly checked-in strings for their form so that
> volunteers have more time translating and not reporting errors in
> original strings. Could this be done?

Agreed. This problem is to have someone up to it.

> In the end it is possible that a localized version of LO will have a
> stylistically better UI and help because of errors in English strings.

This could happen.

> Lp, m.
>
> 2013/6/15 Mihovil Stanić <[hidden email]>:
> > Should this 2 strings be "Border settings" instead of "Border setting"?
> >
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/translate.html#unit=29759963
> >
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/hr/libo_ui/translate.html#unit=29759853
> >
> > Dana 15.6.2013. 8:58, Andras Timar je napisao:

> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702461

> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=28702296

> >> Thanks, fixed in Pootle and in git.
> >>
> >> Andras
> >>

> > --
> > deleted

Sérgio Marques

Fitoschido Fitoschido

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM, Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is going on? Is there an influx of non-English developers?

A bunch of dialogs were rewritten into the new .ui format. Typos
happen, don't be so harsh.

--
Adolfo

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [QA] Missing space in Pootle entry

Hi all,
On 15/06/2013 13:36, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM, Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is going on? Is there an influx of non-English developers?
>
> A bunch of dialogs were rewritten into the new .ui format. Typos
> happen, don't be so harsh.

I think the question is valuable. There is obviously a need for more
checks when submitting new strings for the en_US version, or it will
become a less qualitative version.
The idea to find a reviewer before submitting the patch is a good one,
even if it's not a native English speaker, but somebody with good
English skills (more than code skills ;). And an overall review of the
English version is necessary even if the l10n team could help here, I'm
not sure it's enough. There is an inflation of some terms used for the
same functions/actions that should be standardized for example.
This is something I've already on my todo list and will talk about at
the next LOCon.

Kind regards
Sophie

--