[libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

Dimitris Spingos Dimitris Spingos

[libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

High,
The questions are:
a) The string ? in (String 29043393
<https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/source/ui/misc.po#unit=29043393>)
(glossary.src STR_QUERY_DELETE_GROUP2 string.text) is used as the simple
question mark or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?
b) The Semicolons in (String 29044489
<https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui.po#unit=29044489>
) (converttexttable.ui semicolons label string.text) is used as the simple
semicolon or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?
c) The . in (String 40059917
<https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui.po#unit=40059917>)
(insertcaption.ui num_separator_edit text string.text) is used as the
simple full stop or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?
d) The . in (String 48071054
<https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui.po#unit=48071054>)
(optcaptionpage.ui numseparator text string.text) is used as the simple
full stop or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?
e) There are, too, two-three cases - I don't recall now - for the separator
of thousounds and decimals, where in French it is used the same symbol as
in English (, .) and in German (. ,). What is the right?
f) I think that those cases should be more clear.

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

Hello,
Le 11/12/2014 13:50, ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ Σ a écrit :
> High,
> The questions are:

Could you allow to see your project, otherwise we can't see your links :)
Thanks
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
Tel:+33683901545

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

Le 11/12/2014 13:50, ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ Σ a écrit :
[...]

> e) There are, too, two-three cases - I don't recall now - for the separator
> of thousounds and decimals, where in French it is used the same symbol as
> in English (, .) and in German (. ,). What is the right?

Separators depends on your language, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Examples_of_use
for examples

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
Tel:+33683901545
Co-founder - Release coordinator
The Document Foundation

Jesper Hertel Jesper Hertel

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

I believe the strings can be found by everybody using a search in the
Comments field for the codes given below. Check "Comments" and "Exact
match" when searching. The search is very fast when Exact match is checked.

But yes, it would be easier if everybody just had access to the greek
translation at https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/  :-)

> High,

Hi Δημητρησ (Dimitrio, right?),

> The questions are:

a) The string ? in (String 29043393
> <
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/source/ui/misc.po#unit=29043393
> >)
> (glossary.src STR_QUERY_DELETE_GROUP2 string.text)

is used as the simple
> question mark or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?

This is code 8aDAD

b) The Semicolons in (String 29044489
> <
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui.po#unit=29044489
> >
> ) (converttexttable.ui semicolons label string.text) is used as the simple
> semicolon or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?

This is code D4FLM

> c) The . in (String 40059917
> <
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui.po#unit=40059917
> >)
> (insertcaption.ui num_separator_edit text string.text) is used as the
> simple full stop or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?

This is code 8aDAD

> d) The . in (String 48071054
> <
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/libo_ui/translate/sw/uiconfig/swriter/ui.po#unit=48071054
> >)
> (optcaptionpage.ui numseparator text string.text) is used as the simple
> full stop or for another purpose and should be stay as it is?

This is code cAQbj

> e) There are, too, two-three cases - I don't recall now - for the separator
> of thousounds and decimals, where in French it is used the same symbol as
> in English (, .) and in German (. ,). What is the right?

As Sophie already mentioned,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Examples_of_use mentions the use
in different countries. Note that several different notations can be valid
for the same country.

According to that source, it seems like the French version of the SI style
is valid in both Germany and France:

1 234 567,89

But this is also valid in Germany:

1.234.567,89

f) I think that those cases should be more clear.

I think it would be easier to do something about with if you could mention
the specific cases when you see them again. :-) Searching for either "." or
"," would give too many results.

> Regards

Regards,
Jesper

Dimitris Spingos Dimitris Spingos

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

Thanks for the answers, but the problem remains, it is not the code, but
the use.
For example
a) I can't know if the ; is used in enumerations (e.g. in help) or in a
plain text, because I have to use a diffrent symbol in Greek.
b) I can't know if the . or , (in numbers or in text?) has to be used in
local or in English.

> [...]
> use in different countries. Note that several different notations can be
> valid for the same country.
>
> According to that source, it seems like the French version of the SI style
> is valid in both Germany and France:
>
> 1 234 567,89
>
> But this is also valid in Germany:
>
> 1.234.567,89
>
> f) I think that those cases should be more clear.
>>

> I think it would be easier to do something about with if you could mention
> the specific cases when you see them again. :-) Searching for either "." or
> "," would give too many results.
>

>> Regards
>>

> Regards,
> Jesper

Jesper Hertel Jesper Hertel

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Questions about strings

> Thanks for the answers, but the problem remains,

Yes, most of your questions were not answered. This is probably because
your links were not usable because none of us have access to even view the
Greek translation, as both Sophie and I already told you. You did not
answer to that or do something about that – and therefore, it is difficult
for anyone to help you. The ball is on your side.

You need to give all of us read access to
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/el/ in Pootle. We just get
"Access denied" right now.

The more easy you make it for the rest of us to help you, the more likely
you are to get answers.

it is not the code, but the use.

I stated the codes to make it a little bit easier for people to find the
places, but it is still a lot more trouble than giving us direct and
functional links, so you still need to give all of us *read access* to the
Greek translation.

For example
> a) I can't know if the ; is used in enumerations (e.g. in help) or in a
> plain text, because I have to use a diffrent symbol in Greek.
> b) I can't know if the . or , (in numbers or in text?) has to be used in
> local or in English.

Give all of us read access to the Greek translation, then perhaps someone
can help you.

Regards,
Jesper