[libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] LibreOffice WikiHelp

sophi sophi

[libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] LibreOffice WikiHelp

Hi,
On 07/12/2010 02:03, Michael Wheatland wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM, Jan Holesovsky<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am sorry - I promised the LibO online help (WikiHelp) already the last
>> week, but it haven't happened; it needed more work than anticipated :-(
>>
>> Either way, the good news is that I am currently uploading the files,
>> and I'll make the site online as soon as it finishes, and I do few
>> trivial checks; it should be later today (ETA 5 more hours, I am
>> populating the database through the Mediawiki API, not directly).  So
>> far I am uploading only the English version.
>>
>> It will be read-only until RC2, so that it is easy to report bugs
>> against the tooling that converts the help from the format that is used
>> in the source code.  After RC2, I plan to open it for your edits&
>> improvements :-)
>
> Jan,
> I am looking forward to seeing this in action. As this was discussed
> in the documentation conference call, the documentation team can't
> wait to sink their teeth into this one.
>
> Maybe a localisation team representative can join us on the next
> documentation call to discuss their needs and you can explain how the
> system will be implemented.
> Clearly there can't be a different system for every language, however
> as we discussed, if this were to be transitioned to the Drupal site
> under development some time in the future I am sure that editorial
> quality and localisation teams would be very happy with the outcome.

We have already our system working well since years, why do you want to
change this, and even without a notice to those doing the work?

> I would love to be able to try out some of the editing systems sooner
> rather than later as we are quickly approaching launch of 3.3 with an
> RC out already. Could some people on the documentation team get access
> to write?

Please, contribute to our work, may be you will understand better our needs?

> Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
>> Have these things been discussed and approved by the lang-teams? Or is
>> this the same pattern as with OOo - the big guns decide what will
>> happen and the lang-teams must do it their way? No matter how
>> inappropriate that decision is for the localizers?
>
> There are no 'big guns' in the LibreOffice project as has been
> discussed within the Steering Committee and on many other conference
> calls. However there are too many localisation teams to discuss and
> decide with every one regarding infrastructure, which would likely
> result in duplication and un-coordinated systems.

Please, let us decide of how we are working. Again, we are not newcomers
here. We take care to provide a product of very good quality since
years. If you don't want to speak with us, please, do not try to provide
tools and systems we don't need and want at all.

> AFAIK there is an understanding that if people are interested in 'how'
> something is implemented such as documentation, websites, marketing,
> etc. they join the appropriate team who makes an informed decision
> while requesting input from stakeholders. It is a simple flat
> structure which with collaboration between groups should work very
> well, as is happening with the Drupal website that is being developed.
> I can't see this being any different.
>
> The Drupal team is working hard to ensure that no matter what language
> you will be able to contribute to these core infrastructure teams when
> the site is launched early next year.

You will end by having people using other tools to fit their needs,
that's all, I'm not sure this is what you want. Clearly, if you don't
want to understand how it works, how we work, you're going to loose your
time because the language groups will use their own CMS and tools and
will go away from the main site.

Kind regards
Sophie

Wheatbix Wheatbix

[libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] LibreOffice WikiHelp

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Sophie Gautier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please, let us decide of how we are working. Again, we are not newcomers
> here. We take care to provide a product of very good quality since years. If
> you don't want to speak with us, please, do not try to provide tools and
> systems we don't need and want at all.

I am slightly confused by this statement. Clearly there is a dialogue
going on in each functional team to achieve the best outcome possible.
This discussion is case in point.
Sophie, It seems you are feeling left out of the decision making
process. How are we able to resolve this?

Idea: The i10n team currently does not have wiki page. Could I suggest
that if the i10n team create their own page so the requirements for
native language teams can be coordinated and other projects can meet
those requirements.

> You will end by having people using other tools to fit their needs, that's
> all, I'm not sure this is what you want. Clearly, if you don't want to
> understand how it works, how we work, you're going to loose your time
> because the language groups will use their own CMS and tools and will go
> away from the main site.

Sophie, it might be good for you to contribute here in a positive way
to ensure your needs are met by this fantastic new tool that Kendy has
built.
Kendy, you might be able to comment on this. But as I understand it
there is not going to be the option for language groups to break off
and create their own help wiki?

Great work so far Kendy, I can't wait to see the system working to
export the help files into the LibreOffice help. Great work!