[libreoffice-l10n] Some questions about XML tag / placeholder warnings

Mihail Balabanov Mihail Balabanov

[libreoffice-l10n] Some questions about XML tag / placeholder warnings

Hello again with some more questions :)

I have worked on the Bulgarian l10n of OpenOffice.org and then LibreOffice
for quite some time and I have always assumed some things but in the light
of the new warning system I decided to ask. :)

* Is it OK to rearrange named placeholders because of different word order
in the translation language, for example (like '$type$ library "$name$"' ->
'library "$name$" of type $type$')? Is it always safe to mute the
corresponding warnings?

* Is it OK to skip tag pairs and placeholders? In Bulgarian, repeating the
name of something in several sequential sentences is often considered
awkward style so I sometimes replace it with pronouns, skipping things like
%PRODUCTNAME and <emph>(control name)</emph>.

* Is it OK to add tag pairs? In some contexts, it appears that the original
misses a tag pair, for example the names of three of the four parameters of
a function are boldfaced in the explanation but the last one is not. I have
sometimes added <emph> tags for them, now I find these units due to the
warnings and wander whether to mute or to remove the tags and wait until
someone fixes the original.

Also, in <bookmark_value> blocks sometimes the number of items differs
because in English there are two names for something which in Bulgarian is
a single term or vice versa. Is it OK to mute the warning or I should come
up with exactly the same number of items?

And last but not least: how do I proceed to report shortcomings in the
original strings, e.g. superfluous tags like
problem with thia string' link for that?

TIA,
Mihail

Mihovil Stanić Mihovil Stanić

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Some questions about XML tag / placeholder warnings

21.06.2015 u 14:17, Mikhail Balabanov je napisao/la:
> Hello again with some more questions :)
>
> I have worked on the Bulgarian l10n of OpenOffice.org and then LibreOffice
> for quite some time and I have always assumed some things but in the light
> of the new warning system I decided to ask. :)
>
> * Is it OK to rearrange named placeholders because of different word order
> in the translation language, for example (like '$type$ library "$name$"' ->
> 'library "$name$" of type $type$')?
Yes

> Is it always safe to mute the
> corresponding warnings?
Yes
> * Is it OK to skip tag pairs and placeholders? In Bulgarian, repeating the
> name of something in several sequential sentences is often considered
> awkward style so I sometimes replace it with pronouns, skipping things like
> %PRODUCTNAME and <emph>(control name)</emph>.
Probably yes
> * Is it OK to add tag pairs? In some contexts, it appears that the original
> misses a tag pair, for example the names of three of the four parameters of
> a function are boldfaced in the explanation but the last one is not. I have
> sometimes added <emph> tags for them, now I find these units due to the
> warnings and wander whether to mute or to remove the tags and wait until
> someone fixes the original.
Don't know

Andras Timar Andras Timar

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Mihovil Stanić <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 21.06.2015 u 14:17, Mikhail Balabanov je napisao/la:
>> * Is it OK to skip tag pairs and placeholders? In Bulgarian, repeating the
>> name of something in several sequential sentences is often considered
>> awkward style so I sometimes replace it with pronouns, skipping things
>> like
>> %PRODUCTNAME and <emph>(control name)</emph>.
>
> Probably yes

Yes.

>> * Is it OK to add tag pairs? In some contexts, it appears that the
>> original
>> misses a tag pair, for example the names of three of the four parameters
>> of
>> a function are boldfaced in the explanation but the last one is not. I
>> have
>> sometimes added <emph> tags for them, now I find these units due to the
>> warnings and wander whether to mute or to remove the tags and wait until
>> someone fixes the original.
>
> Don't know

Yes, you can add tag pairs.

Regards,