[libreoffice-l10n] The WordForge Localization Editor

javiersola javiersola

[libreoffice-l10n] The WordForge Localization Editor

Dear Friends,

I would like to announce that we have just released version 0.8beta of
the WordForge localization editor.

The WordForge Editor is specially prepared for working with either XLIFF
or PO OpenOffice files.

If XLIFF files are used, then the number of features is much bigger, as
it is possible to keep much more information in the files.

Some of its most important features are:

1) Immediate testing of quality of translation

-It recognizes OpenOffice variables, XML structures, and other
constructions that must be replicated identically in the target, and
gives an error if they are not present.
- It recognizes OpenOffice accelerator keys, and ignores them in
glossary and TM use.
- It can also test the most usual problems in strings, such as extra or
missing spaces, punctuation (it can check punctuation in scripts other
than English).
- It can test correct use of glossary, if glossary is available.
- It can test correct replication of functions, URLs, e-mail addresses
and many other types of objects in the target.

 Errors can be overidden by the user, but they are recorded in XLIFF
files (not the case in POs).
 Files and full projects can be tested, and the strings that have errors
will be marked for analysis.
 Which tests to run in real time can be easily parametrized by user.

 A file that is translated in the WordForge Editor with the testing
feature enabled should always pass GSICHECK without any problems.

2) Glossary support.

- Glossaries are entered in the system, and then glossary words are
indicated in the source string, and translation is given in a separate
window.

3) Translation memory.

- Translation memory can be applied to files in a very flexible way, in
some cases putting suggestions in the target (if the user wants to) and
in some other cases it is stored in XLIFF files (or as temporary
suggestions if working with PO).

4) Use of reference (third) languages

5) Embedding of glossary and Translation memories in XLIFF files.

- A translation manager can take all the files of a project, and embed
in them the relevant glossary and translation memory. Only the glossary
terms that are relevant to a file are embedded in the file (a subset of
the complete glossary), and only TM suggestions that the translation
manager choses to embed are embedded (percentage of match, etc.).
- Using this, the translation manager can send out files for translation
to the team without needing them to have either the glossary or the TM,
as everything is in the file.

6) Spell-checking of target.

7) Thesaurus for both source and target.

8) Filters for OpenOffice and other formats are accessed through the
graphic user interface.

   - Fully functional filters for OpenOffice SDF  to/from XLIFF format
are available, as well as an XLIFF upgrade filter

9) Files are packed into projects

  - Batch operation on glossary and TM can be done on all the files of a
project at the same time.

Linux and Windows version of the editor are available in:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wordforge2/

Regards,

Javier

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] The WordForge Localization Editor

Hi Javier,

> Linux and Windows version of the editor are available in:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/wordforge2/
>
> Regards,
>
> Javier

Nothing for Mac ?

Alex

sophi sophi

On 11/12/2010 10:58, Javier Sola wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I would like to announce that we have just released version 0.8beta of
> the WordForge localization editor.
>
> The WordForge Editor is specially prepared for working with either XLIFF
> or PO OpenOffice files.
>
> If XLIFF files are used, then the number of features is much bigger, as
> it is possible to keep much more information in the files.

So no excuse any more now to not use xliff files ;-) I'm downloading it
right now and will use it today for xliff LO file.
Thanks a lot for your work

Kind regards
Sophie

Cheng-Chia Tseng Cheng-Chia Tseng

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] The WordForge Localization Editor

How can this editor be translated into our languages?
It will be great to have a translated one for local teams, more ease to use
without wasting time to try understanding all the strings are talking about.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Sophie Gautier <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> On 11/12/2010 10:58, Javier Sola wrote:
>
>> Dear Friends,
>>
>> I would like to announce that we have just released version 0.8beta of
>> the WordForge localization editor.
>>
>> The WordForge Editor is specially prepared for working with either XLIFF
>> or PO OpenOffice files.
>>
>> If XLIFF files are used, then the number of features is much bigger, as
>> it is possible to keep much more information in the files.
>>

> So no excuse any more now to not use xliff files ;-) I'm downloading it
> right now and will use it today for xliff LO file.
> Thanks a lot for your work
>
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Sincerely,
by Cheng-Chia Tseng

sophi sophi

On 12/12/2010 11:58, Tseng, Cheng-Chia wrote:
> How can this editor be translated into our languages?
> It will be great to have a translated one for local teams, more ease to use
> without wasting time to try understanding

  all the strings are talking about.

Yes, great idea :) I volunteer for French!

I find a very nice tool, still I need to play more with it but currently
working with the FR OOo files, it's great.
I really like how the file tree is presented in the project manager. I
also like the Instant Message TM :)

Kind regards
Sophie

javiersola javiersola

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] The WordForge Localization Editor

We will provide XLIFF files as soon as we finish the last bugs and
release the RC1, sometimes this month.

It would be great to know how well it works with Chinese. We have not
been able to test it. We develop and test in Cambodia, Bangladesh and
Spain, so we have done extensive testing for complex layout scripts, but
not for CJK.

We have tried to take as far as possible the value of XLIFF for
translator aids.

In the next version we will have several different interfaces for
different parts of the localization process (translate, review,
approve), tracking messages in each stage in the XLIFF files.

Or philosophy is to facilitate the work by force quality and
homogeneity, even from unexperienced translators. Also, to solve issues
as soon as they appear, and not wait until the translator has sent the
files to the translation manager.

Also, we came out of OooConf with a lot of new ideas from Rafaella,
Andre and other people, and we will also implement them soon.

Cheers,

Javier

Valter Mura (Google Drive) Valter Mura (Google Drive)

In data domenica 12 dicembre 2010 09:28:38, Sophie Gautier ha scritto:

> Hi Javier,
>
> On 11/12/2010 10:58, Javier Sola wrote:
> > Dear Friends,
> >
> > I would like to announce that we have just released version 0.8beta of
> > the WordForge localization editor.
> >
> > The WordForge Editor is specially prepared for working with either XLIFF
> > or PO OpenOffice files.
> >
> > If XLIFF files are used, then the number of features is much bigger, as
> > it is possible to keep much more information in the files.
>
> So no excuse any more now to not use xliff files ;-) I'm downloading it
> right now and will use it today for xliff LO file.
> Thanks a lot for your work

I'm using Lokalize for _UI po files_ and, usually, OmegaT for help files and
other stuff.

I'll give a look to Wordforge, anyway.

--
Valter