[libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

sophi sophi

[libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

Hi all,

Christian has ran/updated the auto-translation script, so you can work
on Pootle now for the next version.

For the translation of the Android viewer description, I'm waiting for
the text from Italo and will let you know when it's available.

Last news about the upgrade to Pootle 2.7, the migration is over, but
there is still a displaying issue remaining which is a blocker, so for
the moment, the translation will go on on the previous version. I'll
keep you updated about that too.

Cheers
Sophie
--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Mihovil Stanić Mihovil Stanić

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

Should we wait for 5.0 project in Pootle or?
Split from master should be in 7 days, so that's how long we have to
work on master?

Best regards,
Mihovil

11.5.2015. u 17:17, Sophie je napisao/la:

> Hi all,
>
> Christian has ran/updated the auto-translation script, so you can work
> on Pootle now for the next version.
>
> For the translation of the Android viewer description, I'm waiting for
> the text from Italo and will let you know when it's available.
>
> Last news about the upgrade to Pootle 2.7, the migration is over, but
> there is still a displaying issue remaining which is a blocker, so for
> the moment, the translation will go on on the previous version. I'll
> keep you updated about that too.
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

Hi *,

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Mihovil Stanic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Should we wait for 5.0 project in Pootle or?
> Split from master should be in 7 days, so that's how long we have to work on
> master?

If you have everything translated for 4.4 already / have time to spend
to translate for 5.0, you acn start on master.
The 5.0 files will be taken from the master ones, so if you start now,
that gives you a week where you can already do stuff.

Right now, there's another update-against templates running, so pootle
might be a little sluggish, so avoid if you need to search a lot/don't
jump around, but rather focus on one file at a time - that should give
a better experience.

So again: Master will be copied to 50 project. feel free to start
translating now. After that master will be kept for 5.1 (and later),
and you'll have separate 50 projects. (and by that time hopefully on
the new version/server)

ciao
Christian

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

Hi Mihovil,
Le 11/05/2015 17:20, Mihovil Stanic a écrit :
> Should we wait for 5.0 project in Pootle or?
> Split from master should be in 7 days, so that's how long we have to
> work on master?

It's as you prefer, as Christian explained, when the branch will be
created in the code, he will copy the file to the 5.0 UI and help and
master will be for 5.1.
And as you said, we are not far from branching :)
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Co-founder - Release coordinator
The Document Foundation

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

Hi Sérgio, *,

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Sérgio Marques <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you please explain me if we (PT team) don´t work on master, will strings
> translated in 5.0 branch land on master afterwards or not?

There is no server-side migration of 5.0 strings to master.

If you decide not to work on master, you'll have to sync files for 5.1
with local tools or on special request. There won't be automatic
merges back to master.

ciao
Christian

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Sérgio, *,
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Sérgio Marques <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Can you please explain me if we (PT team) don´t work on master, will strings
>> translated in 5.0 branch land on master afterwards or not?
>
> There is no server-side migration of 5.0 strings to master.
>
> If you decide not to work on master, you'll have to sync files for 5.1
> with local tools or on special request. There won't be automatic
> merges back to master.

I suppose it means that master is the preferred way - and that's
really different from what was promised in discussion about master:

"→ for those languages who chose not to make use of master, shortly
before the branch-off of 4-5 the translations of 4-4 will be copied to
master (override current master translation) and updated against
templates." [1]

Could you please give us clear information what workflow should be
followed if we want/don't want use master? Maybe the wiki page [2]
should be updated accordingly...

Best regards,
Stanislav

[1] http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/msg08451.html
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation for 5.0, Android and Pootle version

Hi Stanislav, *,

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Stanislav Horáček
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> <[hidden email]>:
>> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Sérgio Marques <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you please explain me if we (PT team) don´t work on master, will strings
>>> translated in 5.0 branch land on master afterwards or not?
>>
>> There is no server-side migration of 5.0 strings to master.
>>
>> If you decide not to work on master, you'll have to sync files for 5.1
>> with local tools or on special request. There won't be automatic
>> merges back to master.
>
> I suppose it means that master is the preferred way -

Yes, it is. As if you're up-to-date on master you'll have less work to
to when a release is branched off.
Sure, for the transition period it is more work, and if your
completion rate is low, it also might not be worth bothering, but:

> and that's
> really different from what was promised in discussion about master:

Not really.

> "→ for those languages who chose not to make use of master, shortly
> before the branch-off of 4-5 the translations of 4-4 will be copied to
> master (override current master translation) and updated against
> templates." [1]

How is that different? "On special request". That's still the same.

The main point is this what follows that quote:
"Changes you do on master will be overridden when you request copying
from 4-4. So either do any merges yourself, or don't complain
afterwards."

If you don't want to use master, don't use master. If you request a
merge to be done by pootle-admins, they won't bother to merge changes
that happened on master, but just overwrite everything with whatever
source you request.

ciao
Christian