[libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Next » 123
sophie sophie

[libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Hi all,

We have deployed a Weblate instance for testing purpose here:
https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/

You can login with your Pootle account. Cloph has updated it with the
last strings from master.

*NOTE*: *it is for testing purpose only*, the test will go-on until end
of LibOCon and we will make a decision about migration from Pootle to
Weblate after this test.

Anonymous making suggestions are not reflected here, only those
belonging to a group are able to test.

Your feedback is very welcome of course, we will take it into account
before making a decision.

Don't hesitate if you have question.
Happy testing :)
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Yaron Shahrabani Yaron Shahrabani

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Lol, Hebrew looks pretty German from here:

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019, 17:39 sophi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have deployed a Weblate instance for testing purpose here:
> https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/
>
> You can login with your Pootle account. Cloph has updated it with the
> last strings from master.
>
> *NOTE*: *it is for testing purpose only*, the test will go-on until end
> of LibOCon and we will make a decision about migration from Pootle to
> Weblate after this test.
>
> Anonymous making suggestions are not reflected here, only those
> belonging to a group are able to test.
>
> Your feedback is very welcome of course, we will take it into account
> before making a decision.
>
> Don't hesitate if you have question.
> Happy testing :)
> Cheers
> Sophie
>
> --
> Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
> GSM: +33683901545
> IRC: sophi
> Release coordinator
> The Document Foundation

sophie sophie

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Hi Yaron,
Le 27/08/2019 à 16:45, Yaron Shahrabani a écrit :
> Lol, Hebrew looks pretty German from here:

Could you give me the exact path to the file, I can't see it in your
screenshot. Thanks
Cheers
Sophie

Cheng-Chia Tseng Cheng-Chia Tseng

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

sophi <[hidden email]> 於 2019年8月27日 週二 下午10:38寫道:

> Hi all,
>
> We have deployed a Weblate instance for testing purpose here:
> https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/
>
> You can login with your Pootle account. Cloph has updated it with the
> last strings from master.
>
> *NOTE*: *it is for testing purpose only*, the test will go-on until end
> of LibOCon and we will make a decision about migration from Pootle to
> Weblate after this test.
>
> Anonymous making suggestions are not reflected here, only those
> belonging to a group are able to test.
>
> Your feedback is very welcome of course, we will take it into account
> before making a decision.

There are too many files and paths. Finding the right one I would like to
translate is so painful.
It will definitely better to use folder-like display as Pootle.

by Cheng-Chia Tseng

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Hi
You can restrict to disply your language only in your profile in
"translated languages". Then save the setting.

regards

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator

Michael Wolf Michael Wolf

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Why are there untranslated strings for Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian
on Weblate? All master strings are translated on Pootle for both languages.

And, will Weblate the translation platform in future, note more Pootle?

Michael

Cheng-Chia Tseng Cheng-Chia Tseng

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Olivier Hallot <[hidden email]> 於 2019年8月27日 週二 下午11:45寫道:

> Hi
> You can restrict to disply your language only in your profile in
> "translated languages". Then save the setting.

Yeah, I have done that already.
I'm talking about Weblate lists one file by one file instead of folder view
display as Pootle does.
That is the problem for me to choose the right project (better to see UI
/Help / Online in group).

kees538-2 kees538-2

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

I agree with Cheng.
All the different small parts of items makes it uncomfortable to see
what to translate.
Better is to have one folder of untranslated items (like Pootle)
And saving a change and skip to the next item seems a bit slow to me.

Kind regards, Kees

Cheng-Chia Tseng schreef op 27.08.2019 19:07:

> Olivier Hallot <[hidden email]> 於 2019年8月27日 週二
> 下午11:45寫道:
>
>> Hi
>> You can restrict to disply your language only in your profile in
>> "translated languages". Then save the setting.
>>

> Yeah, I have done that already.
> I'm talking about Weblate lists one file by one file instead of folder
> view
> display as Pootle does.
> That is the problem for me to choose the right project (better to see
> UI
> /Help / Online in group).

sophie sophie

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Hi Michael,

Le 27/08/2019 à 18:07, Michael Wolf a écrit :
> Why are there untranslated strings for Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian
> on Weblate? All master strings are translated on Pootle for both languages.

The template has been updated

> And, will Weblate the translation platform in future, note more Pootle?

This is what we have to decide. Pootle is no more developed and
maintained so we have to find another tool for the future. Weblate seems
the best tool to suite our needs (off line/on line translation). This is
why we are testing it at the moment.
Cheers
Sophie

sophie sophie

Le 28/08/2019 à 08:14, [hidden email] a écrit :
> I agree with Cheng.
> All the different small parts of items makes it uncomfortable to see
> what to translate.
> Better is to have one folder of untranslated items (like Pootle)
> And saving a change and skip to the next item seems a bit slow to me.

This is not possible currently on Weblate and I agree this is not the
best, but Weblate has many other nice features :)
Cheers
Sophie

Ilmari Lauhakangas Ilmari Lauhakangas

On 28.08.2019 11:42, sophi wrote:
> Le 28/08/2019 à 08:14, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> I agree with Cheng.
>> All the different small parts of items makes it uncomfortable to see
>> what to translate.
>> Better is to have one folder of untranslated items (like Pootle)
>> And saving a change and skip to the next item seems a bit slow to me.
>
> This is not possible currently on Weblate and I agree this is not the
> best, but Weblate has many other nice features :)

Who volunteers to create a feature request?
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues

I was unable to find an existing request.

Ilmari

sophie sophie

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Hi Ilmari,

Le 28/08/2019 à 11:04, Ilmari Lauhakangas a écrit :

> On 28.08.2019 11:42, sophi wrote:
>> Le 28/08/2019 à 08:14, [hidden email] a écrit :
>>> I agree with Cheng.
>>> All the different small parts of items makes it uncomfortable to see
>>> what to translate.
>>> Better is to have one folder of untranslated items (like Pootle)
>>> And saving a change and skip to the next item seems a bit slow to me.
>>
>> This is not possible currently on Weblate and I agree this is not the
>> best, but Weblate has many other nice features :)
>
> Who volunteers to create a feature request?
> https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues
>
> I was unable to find an existing request.

It's somewhere on the site, maybe documentation, it's said it will not
be done at the moment unless there is a strong reason. If we adopt it,
that could become a strong reason ;)
Cheers
Sophie
--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Release coordinator
The Document Foundation

Michael Bauer Michael Bauer

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Very first impression is "Not sure I trust them to do the job properly".
They list ga-IE as Irish (fine) but gd-GB as "Gaelic" rather than the
much clearer "Scots Gaelic" or "Scottish Gaelic". Given the huge amount
of confusion people have over Irish Gaelic, Manx Gaelic and Scots
Gaelic, that suggests a lack of thought/research when language issues
are concerned. We're going to have endless people ... ok not endless, a
number of people signing up for the wrong language. Not fun for any
locale manager either way.

I may have missed this but what's wrong with Pootle? It has worked for a
long time? If you asked me to name ONE thing I'd like where I'd like to
see major change, it would be to unpick Source Locale from en-US so that
every time en-US plays with caps or typos, it doesn't affect all other
locales. Moving to a new tool, however sexy their pitch, will just mean
an entirely new set of headaches instead of the old set of headaches in
my experience and I have accounts on most of them. Doesn't matter if
it's Crowdin, Poole, Pontoon, DDG, WordPress, Launchpad etc etc, they
all drive you nuts as a translator at some level.

Michael

Sgrìobh sophi na leanas 27/08/2019 aig 15:37:

On 28.08.2019 12:17, Michael Bauer wrote:

> Sgrìobh sophi na leanas 27/08/2019 aig 15:37:
>> Your feedback is very welcome of course, we will take it into account
>> before making a decision.
> Very first impression is "Not sure I trust them to do the job
> properly". They list ga-IE as Irish (fine) but gd-GB as "Gaelic"
> rather than the much clearer "Scots Gaelic" or "Scottish Gaelic".
> Given the huge amount of confusion people have over Irish Gaelic, Manx
> Gaelic and Scots Gaelic, that suggests a lack of thought/research when
> language issues are concerned. We're going to have endless people ...
> ok not endless, a number of people signing up for the wrong language.
> Not fun for any locale manager either way.

Here are the language definitions:
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/language-data

Ilmari

sophie sophie

Le 28/08/2019 à 11:17, Michael Bauer a écrit :
> Very first impression is "Not sure I trust them to do the job properly".
> They list ga-IE as Irish (fine) but gd-GB as "Gaelic" rather than the
> much clearer "Scots Gaelic" or "Scottish Gaelic". Given the huge amount
> of confusion people have over Irish Gaelic, Manx Gaelic and Scots
> Gaelic, that suggests a lack of thought/research when language issues
> are concerned. We're going to have endless people ... ok not endless, a
> number of people signing up for the wrong language. Not fun for any
> locale manager either way.

See Ilmari's answer, this is something that should be corrected. I noted
it in the list here: https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2691

> I may have missed this but what's wrong with Pootle?

As said, Pootle is no more developed nor maintained, we need to find
alternatives for the future.

Cheers
Sophie
--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Release coordinator
The Document Foundation

Yaron Shahrabani Yaron Shahrabani

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/dbaccessmessages/he/?type=todo&offset=2

This is the exact path, sorry.
Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

sophie sophie

Le 28/08/2019 à 12:11, Yaron Shahrabani a écrit :
> https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/dbaccessmessages/he/?type=todo&offset=2
>
> This is the exact path, sorry.

Thanks, I reported it to Christian.
Cheers,
Sophie

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Weblate instance for testing purposes

Hi *,

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:38 PM sophi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have deployed a Weblate instance for testing purpose here:
> https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/
>
> *NOTE*: *it is for testing purpose only*, the test will go-on until end
> of LibOCon and we will make a decision about migration from Pootle to
> Weblate after this test.

To clarify: while the instance is for evaluating whether we want to
switch to weblate or not (and/or gather what's important to the l10n
community if we want to take a closer look to another solution), the
translations done in that instance are meant to be kept and not thrown
away.
So don't just write "blablabla" as translation, as those will show up
eventually in master builds :-)

ciao
Christian

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:13 PM Yaron Shahrabani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://vm137.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/dbaccessmessages/he/?type=todo&offset=2
>
> This is the exact path, sorry.

Hint: similar to poolte, weblate has direct/permalink functionality
that is better to use than offset/todo links, as those might change -
and in this case the string that shows up is in Hebrew (but I see the
German strings in the "nearby strings" view)
This is not a bug in weblate or in the migration path, but rather a
problem that already exists in the files on pootle:
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/he/libo_ui/translate/dbaccess/messages.po#unit=137591116
And given the history of the string (or rather the translation memory
entry) it's an old issue, at least since 5.3..
No idea when or how those strings were turned to German...

tldr; no issue with weblate, was already having German stings in the
files from pootle used for the import to weblate

ciao
Christian

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 5:34 PM Cheng-Chia Tseng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> sophi <[hidden email]> 於 2019年8月27日 週二 下午10:38寫道:
> >

> There are too many files and paths. Finding the right one I would like to
> translate is so painful.

That unfortunately is one of the fundamental design differences in
weblate and nothing we'd be able to change or customize without huge
efforts.
But just imagine we would still be in pre-gettext migration where we
still had 140 files more...

> It will definitely better to use folder-like display as Pootle.

Weblate on the other hand allows you to hide completely translated
components (files) - so maybe that is already enough to make it more
usable for you?

ciao
Christian

Next » 123