[libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Jan Holesovsky Jan Holesovsky

[libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hi all,

Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:

en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi

Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
to see it in wikihelp :-)

>From now on, the pages have the language choice at the top; if not, it
is necessary to clear the wiki's cache using action=purge for that page,
like:

http://help.libreoffice.org/index.php5?title=Chart/Charts_in&action=purge

[where Charts/Charts_in is the name of the page where you don't see the
language choice].

Unfortunately, I did not find a way to clear the cache for the entire
wiki at one go, sorry for that.  If anybody of you knows, ideas
appreciated :-)

The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.

Regards,
Kendy

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hello, Jan,

2011/1/21 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>

> Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
>
> en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
>
> Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
> to see it in wikihelp :-)

Great, it looks it is working for sl.

But - "ah there's the rub" (to quote the Prince of Denmark) - the page
around it is in English even when English is not selected (the title/logo of
the page remains "LibreOffice Help" - it is rendered so it should be
rendered in all help languages, the navigation links are all English (Main
Page, Community Portal,  etc.).

I guess the direct link to that language version should open the page also
in the same wiki-language, i.e. Hungarian help in the wiki should be
displayed with the Hungarian wiki-interface etc. Could this be done?
I guess this should be default actions for all the wiki top page links to
same pages translated in other languages (why would one want to see the page
in one's native language and have all the wiki navigation links and the logo
in English?).

> From now on, the pages have the language choice at the top; if not, it
> is necessary to clear the wiki's cache using action=purge for that page,
> like:
>
> http://help.libreoffice.org/index.php5?title=Chart/Charts_in&action=purge
>
> [where Charts/Charts_in is the name of the page where you don't see the
> language choice].
>
> Unfortunately, I did not find a way to clear the cache for the entire
> wiki at one go, sorry for that.  If anybody of you knows, ideas
> appreciated :-)
>
> The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
> issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.

Well that is the main "rub" - hope to see it implemented!

And now some observations with this online help implementation:
It is not as useful as the installed help yet - there is no tree of pages to
browse through (you cannot know if there is a subpage to this help page or a
page above it in the hierarchy etc.), the search results are hardly
human-readable and informative. If you want users to prefer this help, the
help content structure should be presented in some way and search should be
better or at least as in the installed help.

Also, once you have a help page opened, you are not interested in other
language versions of the same page, but of the main help page of your
language, of similar help pages / topics in your language - the help frame
around the help page should be more same-language-help informative and not
same-page-in-other-languages informative.

And one should have a feeling that one arrived at the heart of LO help
offering - the place to be when in need of help with LO. So there should be
some references automatically added to the documentation pages in that same
language, to the mailing lists etc.

To make it short - the frame in which this page content is displayed should
be more - helpful to the user. And fully localizable.

Just my 2 cents,
m.

Mikel Pascual Mikel Pascual

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Jan,
>
> 2011/1/21 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>
>
> > Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
> > http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
> >
> > en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
> >
> > Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
> > to see it in wikihelp :-)

If I'm wright, this refers to the translations done for Ooo.
If that's so, *eu *help is already translated, and I guess it would be great
to put it online.
You can just take it from Ooo and put it in help.libreoffice.org , wright?

> [...]
> help content structure should be presented in some way and search should be
> better or at least as in the installed help.
>
> Also, once you have a help page opened, you are not interested in other
> language versions of the same page, but of the main help page of your
> language, of similar help pages / topics in your language - the help frame
> around the help page should be more same-language-help informative and not
> same-page-in-other-languages informative.
>
> And one should have a feeling that one arrived at the heart of LO help
> offering - the place to be when in need of help with LO. So there should be
> some references automatically added to the documentation pages in that same
> language, to the mailing lists etc.
>
> To make it short - the frame in which this page content is displayed should
> be more - helpful to the user. And fully localizable.

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hi Kendy,

Jan Holesovsky wrote (21-01-11 18:33)

> Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
>
> en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
>
> Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
> to see it in wikihelp :-)

AFAIK, Dutch (nl) is translated too. So would love to see it on the wiki.

>> From now on, the pages have the language choice at the top; if not, it
> is necessary to clear the wiki's cache using action=purge for that page,
> like:
>
> http://help.libreoffice.org/index.php5?title=Chart/Charts_in&action=purge
>
> [where Charts/Charts_in is the name of the page where you don't see the
> language choice].
>
> Unfortunately, I did not find a way to clear the cache for the entire
> wiki at one go, sorry for that.  If anybody of you knows, ideas
> appreciated :-)
>
> The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
> issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.

thanks for the explanation and your work on it :-)

Cor

Marek Laane Marek Laane

2011/1/22 Cor Nouws <[hidden email]>

> Hi Kendy,
>
> Jan Holesovsky wrote (21-01-11 18:33)
>
>  Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
>> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
>>
>> en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
>>
>> Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
>> to see it in wikihelp :-)
>>

> AFAIK, Dutch (nl) is translated too. So would love to see it on the wiki.
>
>  From now on, the pages have the language choice at the top; if not, it
>>>
>> is necessary to clear the wiki's cache using action=purge for that page,
>> like:
>>
>> http://help.libreoffice.org/index.php5?title=Chart/Charts_in&action=purge
>>
>> [where Charts/Charts_in is the name of the page where you don't see the
>> language choice].
>>
>> Unfortunately, I did not find a way to clear the cache for the entire
>> wiki at one go, sorry for that.  If anybody of you knows, ideas
>> appreciated :-)
>>
>> The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
>> issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.
>>

> thanks for the explanation and your work on it :-)
>
> Cor
>
> --
>  - giving openoffice.org its foundation :: The Document Foundation -

AFAIK, Estonian help was almost 100% translated in OOo, so it'd be nice to
see it her, too.

Marek Laane

Harri Pitkänen Harri Pitkänen

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hi!

On Friday 21 January 2011, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
>
> en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
>
> Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
> to see it in wikihelp :-)

Finnish (fi) help is 100% translated, it would be nice to have it there too.

Harri

Andras Timar Andras Timar

2011/1/22 Harri Pitkänen <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> On Friday 21 January 2011, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>> Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
>> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
>>
>> en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
>>
>> Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
>> to see it in wikihelp :-)
>
> Finnish (fi) help is 100% translated, it would be nice to have it there too.

As a rule of thumb, all languages should be there which have
significant amount of the help translated.
These are above 50%: bg, bn, bo, ca, ca-XV, cs, da, de, dz, el, eo,
es, et, eu, fi, fr, gl, hu, it, ja, km, ko, mk, nb, ne, nl, om, pl,
pt, pt-BR, ru, sk, sl, sv, tg, tr, vi, zh-CN, zh-TW.

Best regards,
Andras

Jan Holesovsky Jan Holesovsky

[libreoffice-l10n] Re: [Libreoffice] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

On 2011-01-21 at 18:33 +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:

> I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
[...]
> The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
> issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.

Done now, please test.  I did not upload any additional languages yet,
unfortunately, so you have to be use one of the languages mentioned in
the previous mail.

Enjoy,
Kendy

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [Libreoffice] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hi Kendy,

Jan Holesovsky wrote (25-01-11 01:58)
> On 2011-01-21 at 18:33 +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>
>> I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
>> http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
> [...]
>> The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
>> issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.
>
> Done now, please test.

Clicking the HELP button indeed leads to the correct page wrt content..

> I did not upload any additional languages yet, unfortunately,

Hmm, when may we expect those, maybe running atm?

Thanks,
Cor

Miklos Vajna Miklos Vajna

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 01:58:24AM +0100, Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Done now, please test.  I did not upload any additional languages yet,
> unfortunately, so you have to be use one of the languages mentioned in
> the previous mail.

The Hungarian one looks fine (based on a quick click-through test). :)

Miklos Vajna Miklos Vajna

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:57:00PM +0100, Miklos Vajna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 01:58:24AM +0100, Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Done now, please test.  I did not upload any additional languages yet,
> > unfortunately, so you have to be use one of the languages mentioned in
> > the previous mail.
>
> The Hungarian one looks fine (based on a quick click-through test). :)

Oops, I spoke too soon. As Andras pointed out in fdo#33258, If I test it
from LO (and not from a browser), then even a Hungarian one opens URLs
like:

http://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/52821?Language=en&System=UNIX#bm_id3147244

So the user has to select the language manually. Does that work for you
in Czech?

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [Libreoffice] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Jan,

2011/1/25 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> On 2011-01-21 at 18:33 +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
>
> > I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
> > http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:
> [...]
> > The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
> > issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.
>
> Done now, please test.  I did not upload any additional languages yet,
> unfortunately, so you have to be use one of the languages mentioned in
> the previous mail.

I just tested the final release of LO33 in Slovenian - the links for help
have "en" string and open English help pages. Since you were not successful
in fixing this the Slovenian team cannot approve this release and we will
not encourage LO33 to be downloaded and used by Slovenian users as we do not
see it fit the basic localization standards of the team, performing the
localization.

Too bad.

LP, m.

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikihelp: Uploaded translations

Hi Kendy,

Cor Nouws wrote (22-01-11 00:23)

> Jan Holesovsky wrote (21-01-11 18:33)
>
>> Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
>> http://help.libreoffice.org , so far for the following languages:
>>
>> en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi
>>
>> Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
>> to see it in wikihelp :-)
>
> AFAIK, Dutch (nl) is translated too. So would love to see it on the wiki.

Are there plans to put Dutch (and others) on the wiki.
I know you are busy, but would love to see it happen and so it would be
a pity of you forgot it ;-)

Best,
Cor