[libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

[libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Hi,

in LO Help for data analysis functions, a few of paragraphs are copied
from English Wikipedia. Since there is no citation of the source, I
doubt it is a correct reuse. I'm not even sure if it is possible to
reuse Wikipedia texts without changes of license of the derived work.
Does someone of you know any details about this?

Best regards,
Stanislav

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Hi Stanislav,
Le 08/02/2015 22:16, Stanislav Horáček a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in LO Help for data analysis functions, a few of paragraphs are copied
> from English Wikipedia. Since there is no citation of the source, I
> doubt it is a correct reuse. I'm not even sure if it is possible to
> reuse Wikipedia texts without changes of license of the derived work.
> Does someone of you know any details about this?

Thanks for the head up, you're right, UI and Help are under LGPLv3+MPL.
Do you know the commit of this changes? Did you open an issue?
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Hi,

> Thanks for the head up, you're right, UI and Help are under LGPLv3+MPL.
> Do you know the commit of this changes? Did you open an issue?

I think all of them were added in the Olivier's description of data
analysis functions:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/help/commit/?id=ba90edc72a3eedc95f2a2bd2c6923b860cc3e4d8

I can open an issue, but I still don't know how to solve this - if
citation notices are sufficient, I can add them directly to the Help.

Best regards,
Stanislav

sophi sophi

Le 09/02/2015 18:04, Stanislav Horáček a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>> Thanks for the head up, you're right, UI and Help are under LGPLv3+MPL.
>> Do you know the commit of this changes? Did you open an issue?
>
> I think all of them were added in the Olivier's description of data
> analysis functions:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/help/commit/?id=ba90edc72a3eedc95f2a2bd2c6923b860cc3e4d8
>

> I can open an issue, but I still don't know how to solve this - if
> citation notices are sufficient, I can add them directly to the Help.

So reading the patch there is the link to Wikipedia citing the source in
it. But I'll check if it could be a problem or not and will keep you
informed.

Cheers
Sophie

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

On 10/02/2015 06:58, Sophie wrote:

> Le 09/02/2015 18:04, Stanislav Horáček a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Thanks for the head up, you're right, UI and Help are under LGPLv3+MPL.
>>> Do you know the commit of this changes? Did you open an issue?
>>
>> I think all of them were added in the Olivier's description of data
>> analysis functions:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/help/commit/?id=ba90edc72a3eedc95f2a2bd2c6923b860cc3e4d8
>>

>> I can open an issue, but I still don't know how to solve this - if
>> citation notices are sufficient, I can add them directly to the Help.
>
> So reading the patch there is the link to Wikipedia citing the source in
> it. But I'll check if it could be a problem or not and will keep you
> informed.
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

The patch also says:

"This is a text to get a mimnimum help for Calc Data Statistics. It can
be improved with better english and better maths."

Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://ask.libreoffice.org/pt-br

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Hi :)
There's a minor typo.  "mimnimum" should, of course, be "minimum".

I think most English speakers have done that sort of typo quite often
so i think we are mostly familiar with ignoring such typos and reading
the word as if the typo wasn't there.

So i am not sure if it's even worth changing this time around because
it actually clarifies how better English might improve things.  Err,
the E on English should probably be upper-case too but that is even
less worth changing if it is non-trivial to edit! ;)

On 10 February 2015 at 12:19, Olivier Hallot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/02/2015 06:58, Sophie wrote:
>> Le 09/02/2015 18:04, Stanislav Horáček a écrit :
>>> Hi,

>>> I think all of them were added in the Olivier's description of data
>>> analysis functions:
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/help/commit/?id=ba90edc72a3eedc95f2a2bd2c6923b860cc3e4d8
>>>

>>> I can open an issue, but I still don't know how to solve this - if
>>> citation notices are sufficient, I can add them directly to the Help.
>>
>> So reading the patch there is the link to Wikipedia citing the source in
>> it. But I'll check if it could be a problem or not and will keep you
>> informed.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Sophie
>>
> The patch also says:
>
> "This is a text to get a mimnimum help for Calc Data Statistics. It can
> be improved with better english and better maths."
>
> Regards,
> --
> Olivier Hallot
> Comunidade LibreOffice
> http://ask.libreoffice.org/pt-br

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Hi all,
Le 08/02/2015 22:16, Stanislav Horáček a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in LO Help for data analysis functions, a few of paragraphs are copied
> from English Wikipedia. Since there is no citation of the source, I
> doubt it is a correct reuse. I'm not even sure if it is possible to
> reuse Wikipedia texts without changes of license of the derived work.
> Does someone of you know any details about this?

So an update on this. The help content as well as the UI files are under
LGPLv2 and MPLv3 licenses, like the rest of the code. The MPLv3 doesn't
allow to embed parties under CC licenses, parts have to be under MPLv3 too.
The concerned parts will be removed and for the future, have to be
written from scratch.
However, it's still possible to add a link to external parts in the
help, even if it's not the best for those with no Internet access or
costly bandwith.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Co-founder - Release coordinator
The Document Foundation

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Wikipedia content in LO Help

Hi, resending as the list address was wrong