[libreoffice-l10n] change names for Writer and other components?

Clio-2 Clio-2

[libreoffice-l10n] change names for Writer and other components?

What about changing names for Writer, Calc ... ? If you are going to
change them, then maybe take a name more easily pronouncable for
"Writer", such as Mot or Literato?

Lior Kaplan Lior Kaplan

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] change names for Writer and other components?

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM, fyva <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about changing names for Writer, Calc ... ? If you are going to change
> them, then maybe take a name more easily pronouncable for "Writer", such as
> Mot or Literato?

I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think there's
enough confusion and we don't need to add more.

my 2 cents...

Kaplan

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

2010.10.15 13:08, Lior Kaplan rašė:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM, fyva<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> What about changing names for Writer, Calc ... ? If you are going to change
>> them, then maybe take a name more easily pronouncable for "Writer", such as
>> Mot or Literato?
>>
> I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think there's
> enough confusion and we don't need to add more.
>
> my 2 cents...

agreed.

Rimas

dooteo dooteo

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] change names for Writer and other components?

Jatorrizko mezua: or., 2010-10-15 13:39 +0300, egilea: Rimas Kudelis

> 2010.10.15 13:08, Lior Kaplan rašė:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM, fyva<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >
> >> What about changing names for Writer, Calc ... ? If you are going to change
> >> them, then maybe take a name more easily pronouncable for "Writer", such as
> >> Mot or Literato?
> >>
> > I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think there's
> > enough confusion and we don't need to add more.
> >
> > my 2 cents...
>
> agreed.

Keep apps names as they are it's the best way for me, so + 1

Dooteo

de-jourdain de-jourdain

2010/10/15 dooteo <[hidden email]>

> Jatorrizko mezua: or., 2010-10-15 13:39 +0300, egilea: Rimas Kudelis
> > 2010.10.15 13:08, Lior Kaplan rašė:

> change
> such as
> > >>
> > > I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think
> there's
> > > enough confusion and we don't need to add more.
> > >
> > > my 2 cents...
> >
> > agreed.
>
> Keep apps names as they are it's the best way for me, so + 1

I think the same. Keep the names as they are.
IMHO, we have another issues, that are really importants.

David

--
E-mail to [hidden email] <l10n%[hidden email]> for

Milton Gallegos Milton Gallegos

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] change names for Writer and other components?

Hi.

Writer, Cal and others names are trademarks, aren't?
Are you sure there wouldn't be any legal issue?

Regards,

Milton

2010.10.15 21:20, Milton Gallegos rašė:
> Writer, Cal and others names are trademarks, aren't?
> Are you sure there wouldn't be any legal issue?

I don't think component names are trademarked.

Rimas

mak-2 mak-2

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Rimas Kudelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010.10.15 21:20, Milton Gallegos rašė:
> > Writer, Cal and others names are trademarks, aren't?
> > Are you sure there wouldn't be any legal issue?
>
> I don't think component names are trademarked.

... they are not going to do it now; and they are not legitimate to do so ?!
correct me.

regards
mak_

Clio-2 Clio-2

15.10.2010 06:08, Lior Kaplan пишет:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM, fyva<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> What about changing names for Writer, Calc ... ? If you are going to change
>> them, then maybe take a name more easily pronouncable for "Writer", such as
>> Mot or Literato?
>>

> I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think there's
> enough confusion and we don't need to add more.
>
> my 2 cents...
>
> Kaplan

If LibreOffice is going to be different from OpenOffice.org by Oracle
(=a complete fork, as LotusSimphony), the same names can cause more
confusion in the future, too. (As well as the same version naming scheme.)

Valter Mura (Google Drive) Valter Mura (Google Drive)

In data sabato 16 ottobre 2010 10:24:10, fyva ha scritto:

> 15.10.2010 06:08, Lior Kaplan пишет:
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM, fyva<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> What about changing names for Writer, Calc ... ? If you are going to
> >> change them, then maybe take a name more easily pronouncable for
> >> "Writer", such as Mot or Literato?
> >
> > I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think
> > there's enough confusion and we don't need to add more.
> >
> > my 2 cents...
> >
> > Kaplan
>
> If LibreOffice is going to be different from OpenOffice.org by Oracle
> (=a complete fork, as LotusSimphony), the same names can cause more
> confusion in the future, too. (As well as the same version naming scheme.)

+1, this could be a possibility.

--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410  http://counter.li.org

Lior Kaplan Lior Kaplan

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Valter Mura <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In data sabato 16 ottobre 2010 10:24:10, fyva ha scritto:

> > > I'm not sure it a good idea to change the programs' names. I think
> > > there's enough confusion and we don't need to add more.
> > >
> > > my 2 cents...
> > >
> > > Kaplan
> >
> > If LibreOffice is going to be different from OpenOffice.org by Oracle
> > (=a complete fork, as LotusSimphony), the same names can cause more
> > confusion in the future, too. (As well as the same version naming
> scheme.)
>
> +1, this could be a possibility.

In the future we might change both (application names and version numbering
scheme),
but for now, we need to get things started and having a release done.

Doing such changes could hurt us now.

In any case, I don't think this is something for the l10n list, but for the
discuss list.

Kaplan

Per Eriksson Per Eriksson

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] change names for Writer and other components?

  Hi,

Lior Kaplan skrev 2010-10-16 10:40:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Valter Mura<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> In data sabato 16 ottobre 2010 10:24:10, fyva ha scritto:
>>> 15.10.2010 06:08, Lior Kaplan пишет:
>>> If LibreOffice is going to be different from OpenOffice.org by Oracle
>>> (=a complete fork, as LotusSimphony), the same names can cause more
>>> confusion in the future, too. (As well as the same version naming

This is usually the case with products that continue with strong
development. When that is the situation I am sure the product names'
will change.

Right now they are way to similar. :-)

Best

Per

In data sabato 16 ottobre 2010 11:18:57, Per Eriksson ha scritto:

> This is usually the case with products that continue with strong
> development. When that is the situation I am sure the product names'
> will change.

Yes, the *only reason* I see for that change is the case Oracle decides to
keep supporting the OpenOffice.org project with the same names, so if this fork
will become reality, it will be necessary, in my humble opinion, to better
differenciate the LibO project and gain more personality :-)