[libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

[libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Hi,

could anyone explain meaning of this new string in 5.1?

"Hit apply to update"
ID: rEEs5
Link:
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cs/libo_ui/translate/cui/uiconfig/ui.po#unit=101046413

I suppose it is a placeholder text for user agent information (Tools -
Options - LibreOffice - Online updates) which appears when the user
agent is changed (although I don't know how it can be changed) - but
there is no "apply" to be hit...

Thanks,
Stanislav

Sylvia Sylvia

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Good question!  I've seen something similar in previous versions and
never understood its meaning.

Cheers,
Sylvia

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

       Well, whoever typed this must have meant to type whatever would send
the message  ;-)

       If this typist had edited his message before posting, then he could
have corrected the error;
          but, alas, editing seems to be an out-dated idea in this world of
ever increasing speed to accomplish whatever even though oftentimes taking
the time to edit saves time in the long-run by avoiding having to redo the
project to correct the errors.

From: Stanislav Horáček <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM
Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string
To: L10n <[hidden email]>

Hi,

could anyone explain meaning of this new string in 5.1?

"Hit apply to update"
ID: rEEs5
Link:
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cs/libo_ui/translate/cui/uiconfig/ui.po#unit=101046413

I suppose it is a placeholder text for user agent information (Tools -
Options - LibreOffice - Online updates) which appears when the user agent
is changed (although I don't know how it can be changed) - but there is no
"apply" to be hit...

Thanks,
Stanislav

This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Yury Yury

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Your explanation, while lingually flawless,
would confuse the askers, too, I guess. :)

The string means that for updates to take effect
one must press/click something (button?)
labelled 'Apply'.

-Yury

On 01/18/2016 07:43 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>         Well, whoever typed this must have meant to type whatever would send
> the message  ;-)

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

I see my question should have been clearer - so: is the string
incorrect because there is no "apply" to be hit (and the string should
be modified), or am I missing anything?

Sorry for bothering the list with such a marginal string (which is
maybe even not shown in UI), but I don't like any blind translation.

Stanislav

> Your explanation, while lingually flawless, would confuse the askers, too, I
> guess. :)
>
> The string means that for updates to take effect one must press/click
> something (button?) labelled 'Apply'.
>
> -Yury
>
> On 01/18/2016 07:43 PM, anne-ology wrote:
>>
>>         Well, whoever typed this must have meant to type whatever would
>> send
>> the message  ;-)

Yury Yury

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

There are (still) lots of artifacts of a string
kind in LO, I believe.

However, if you do not know the string is
actually displayed, how do you know there is
nothing appropriate to click?

Generally -- is there any way to mark the
actually unused strings, so as to waste not the
effort? Some script processing the sources?..

-Yury

Dne 19.1.2016 v 15:16 Yury Tarasievich napsal(a):
> There are (still) lots of artifacts of a string kind in LO, I believe.
>
> However, if you do not know the string is actually displayed, how do you
> know there is nothing appropriate to click?

because the string is on the Online update page and it can be seen by
displaying the file cui/uiconfig/ui/optonlineupdatepage.ui in Glade.

> Generally -- is there any way to mark the actually unused strings, so as
> to waste not the effort? Some script processing the sources?..

I suppose the best way is to fix the problem directly in the source code
(or to file a bugzilla report if I am not able to do so myself).

Best regards,
Stanislav

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Hello Anne-ology,

I'm top-posting on this thread with purpose. You are on the localization
(l10n) mailing list. Do you even understand the conversation you have
jumped into? It is a technical exchange, not people who do not know what
they type.

Besides that, people on mailing lists and elsewhere on the Internet rely
on a common set of rules and customs that are considered useful and even
polite since about the late seventies. It's called the Netiquette:
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php  Top posting, not
replying inline of the messages like you do are things that confuse or
bother posters. Do you think you could make an effort in following these
standards, at least when posting on our mailing lists?

Thank you,

Charles.

Le 18.01.2016 17:43, anne-ology a écrit :

> Well, whoever typed this must have meant to type whatever would send
> the message  ;-)
>
>        If this typist had edited his message before posting, then he
> could
> have corrected the error;
>           but, alas, editing seems to be an out-dated idea in this
> world of
> ever increasing speed to accomplish whatever even though oftentimes
> taking
> the time to edit saves time in the long-run by avoiding having to redo
> the
> project to correct the errors.
>

> From: Stanislav Horáček <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM
> Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string
> To: L10n <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi,
>
> could anyone explain meaning of this new string in 5.1?
>
> "Hit apply to update"
> ID: rEEs5
> Link:
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cs/libo_ui/translate/cui/uiconfig/ui.po#unit=101046413
>
> I suppose it is a placeholder text for user agent information (Tools -
> Options - LibreOffice - Online updates) which appears when the user
> agent
> is changed (although I don't know how it can be changed) - but there is
> no
> "apply" to be hit...
>
> Thanks,
> Stanislav

> This
> email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
> <#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Charles,
Please refrain from such off-topic posts.  Top-posting is the only way
almost all new and potential users have any knowledge of or experience
with so they tend to assume that any non-top-posts are empty, either
deliberately or accidentally.  The nettiqutte link is so out-dated
that it pre-dates hand-helds (phones, tablets and slates) which
allegedly now accounts for around 80% of computer usage and none of
which allow for anything other than top-posting.  Until you are able
to convince the majority of the makers of hand-helds to allow people
to do things the old ways it seems unfair to exclude people from such
a large potential (yet untapped) market.  It might be easier to just
return us to three decades before the end of the last century, and
there is a LOT of appeal in that - except that we would then have to
live through the 80's again!

Anyway, Charles' post is going off-topic into some ancient fantasy.

On 20 January 2016 at 16:04, Charles-H. Schulz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Anne-ology,
>
> I'm top-posting on this thread with purpose. You are on the localization
> (l10n) mailing list. Do you even understand the conversation you have jumped
> into? It is a technical exchange, not people who do not know what they type.
>
> Besides that, people on mailing lists and elsewhere on the Internet rely on
> a common set of rules and customs that are considered useful and even polite
> since about the late seventies. It's called the Netiquette:
> http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php  Top posting, not replying
> inline of the messages like you do are things that confuse or bother
> posters. Do you think you could make an effort in following these standards,
> at least when posting on our mailing lists?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Charles.
>

> Le 18.01.2016 17:43, anne-ology a écrit :
>>
>> Well, whoever typed this must have meant to type whatever would send
>> the message  ;-)
>>
>>        If this typist had edited his message before posting, then he could
>> have corrected the error;
>>           but, alas, editing seems to be an out-dated idea in this world
>> of
>> ever increasing speed to accomplish whatever even though oftentimes taking
>> the time to edit saves time in the long-run by avoiding having to redo the
>> project to correct the errors.
>>

>> From: Stanislav Horáček <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM
>> Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string
>> To: L10n <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> could anyone explain meaning of this new string in 5.1?
>>
>> "Hit apply to update"
>> ID: rEEs5
>> Link:
>>
>> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cs/libo_ui/translate/cui/uiconfig/ui.po#unit=101046413
>>
>> I suppose it is a placeholder text for user agent information (Tools -
>> Options - LibreOffice - Online updates) which appears when the user agent
>> is changed (although I don't know how it can be changed) - but there is no
>> "apply" to be hit...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stanislav

>> This
>> email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.

>> <#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

Tom,

Interesting reaction but I am afraid we are bothing peope doing real work here.
Anne-ology, you and I are the ONLY three people top posting in this thread. The others seem to follow the netiquette. Are they out-dated? Are the majority of posters posting correctly on the LibreOffice mailing lists outdated and irrelevant? I do not think so. On top of that, Anne-ology's replies are always visually odd with random line breaks and indents that are simply bothersome and hickack entire threads. She is the only person who does that to my knowledge.

Last but not least this list is not the users list Tom. Please don't tell me about ne users . This mailing list is not a place for new users, it is the l10n list.

As for my post being off topic: of course it was, since Anne-ology post was clearly off topic itself and that was my first comment on it.

Charles.

Le 20 janvier 2016 22:48:23 GMT+01:00, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
>>>
>>> "Hit apply to update"
>>> ID: rEEs5
>>> Link:
>>>

>https://translations.documentfoundation.org/cs/libo_ui/translate/cui/uiconfig/ui.po#unit=101046413
>>>
>>> I suppose it is a placeholder text for user agent information (Tools
>-
>>> Options - LibreOffice - Online updates) which appears when the user
>agent
>>> is changed (although I don't know how it can be changed) - but there
>is no
>>> "apply" to be hit...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Stanislav

>>> This
>>> email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.

>>> <#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot

Sylvia Sylvia

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

This is getting confused...
Yes, I'm top posting, I'm using a phone right now.
Whatever, it would be nice to get back to the original question. I think.

Cheers,
Sylvia

Yury Yury

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Hit apply to update" string

My apologies, but I'd like to offer some
corrections to this -- assuredly off-topic --
thread.

On 01/21/2016 01:15 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> Interesting reaction but I am afraid we are bothing peope doing real work here.
> Anne-ology, you and I are the ONLY three people top posting in this thread. The others seem to follow the netiquette. Are they out-dated? Are the majority of posters

It's not the top-posting that's the problem, the
problem is the top-posting dragging the complete
preceding thread with it.

The bottom-posting (or whatever it's called) can
be bothersome just as well, if the quoter (or
quoter's software) can't make the right choices
about how to and what to... well, quote. In the
winded discussions, always.

And may I remind you, that the breaks and
indents (as well as the person's letteredness)
aren't the netiquette topics?

-Yury