[libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

[libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

Hi

I am occasional contributor to Polish (pl) translation of LibreOffice.
Recently I stumbled upon awkwardness in our translation and was asked
by our coordinator to send message to this list. If this is not most
appropriate place to raise such issues, please point me at right
direction.

Particular label for input box in Polish is translated in ambiguous
way. I could make it clear for Polish users, but in a way that cuts
relationship with English string. Our coordinator says I should not,
because in few years someone might review current translation and -
unaware of context - change it back to literal translation from English
(which is not good).

So, I would like to propose change of English string. In this way
Polish translation will be clearer for users and closer to "upstream".
I believe that English will not loose any value with this change.

Where:
LibreOffice Calc, main pivot table window (Data → Pivot table →
Create... with at least two cells selected; skip first window), in
expandable part of window ("More" button) .

What:
Label for very first input box - "Selection from".

Change to:
"Source" or "Data source"
It directly relates to purpose of input box labeled - which provides a
way for user to manually enter/change range of cells that will be used
to create pivot table.

Please let me know what do you think of this change and what should I
done in similar cases in future.

(I am subscribed to the list, so no need to CC me.)
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Yury Tarasievich Yury Tarasievich

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

Make it "Source cells", better.

-Yury

On 09/02/2013 12:41 AM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
> LibreOffice Calc, main pivot table window (Data → Pivot table →
> Create... with at least two cells selected; skip first window), in
> expandable part of window ("More" button) .
>
> What:
> Label for very first input box - "Selection from".
>
> Change to:
> "Source" or "Data source"

Mihovil Stanic Mihovil Stanic

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

I agree with both. Croatian translation is kinda bad also, but it's
direct translation.

Best regards,
Mihovil

Dana 2.9.2013. 5:53, Yury Tarasievich je napisao:

> Make it "Source cells", better.
>
> -Yury
>
> On 09/02/2013 12:41 AM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
>> LibreOffice Calc, main pivot table window (Data → Pivot table →
>> Create... with at least two cells selected; skip first window), in
>> expandable part of window ("More" button) .
>>
>> What:
>> Label for very first input box - "Selection from".
>>
>> Change to:
>> "Source" or "Data source"

Zeki Bildirici Zeki Bildirici

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

You may use Pootle's comment box to notify future reviewers.

Btw, Pivot table is build by a selection right? Data source or source might
sound calling a database, which is another option and may confuse users.

We have translated it in Turkish something like 'Selected Area' instead of
'selection from'. But Selection is just fine too. Selection from is not
very bad i think.

Best regards
Zeki

Sérgio Marques Sérgio Marques

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

I agree with Zeki. "Selected Area" is a good choice.

Regards

2013/9/2 Zeki Bildirici <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> You may use Pootle's comment box to notify future reviewers.
>
> Btw, Pivot table is build by a selection right? Data source or source might
> sound calling a database, which is another option and may confuse users.
>
> We have translated it in Turkish something like 'Selected Area' instead of
> 'selection from'. But Selection is just fine too. Selection from is not
> very bad i think.
>
> Best regards
> Zeki

Sérgio Marques

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "Selection from" in Pivot table - propose of changing English string

Dnia 2013-09-02, o godz. 17:57:39
Zeki Bildirici <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> You may use Pootle's comment box to notify future reviewers.

I can, but will anybody guarantee that comments will survive any future
changes and will be still accessible in, say, 10 years from now?
If not, we would rather not introduce changes that are not word-by-word
translation of English strings.

> Btw, Pivot table is build by a selection right? Data source or source
> might sound calling a database, which is another option and may
> confuse users.

OK, registered databases are often called "Data Sources", so "data
source" may indeed ring a bell that it is about external database. Fair
point.

But I do not believe that the same applies to "Source". After all "data
source" and "source" are different things, in the same way we do not
confuse "Master slide" and "slide" in Impress.

> We have translated it in Turkish something like 'Selected Area'
> instead of 'selection from'. But Selection is just fine too.
> Selection from is not very bad i think.

I do not agree. Simple use-case:
You receive spreadsheet from someone else. It does contain pivot table.
For whatever reason you decide to look at pivot table properties.
It mentions "Selection" that is, in fact, nowhere to be found in the
file (selections are not stored on save, after all).
Only after looking at input box content, it is clear to you that it
accepts range of cells.
But then you think: "why the hell did they label it in a way that does
not make it immediately obvious what you can put into this input box?".

Moreover, selection disappears in a moment you create pivot table. So
it references past, not present.

"Source" directly relates to purpose of input box in question and
should clear these issues.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski