[libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Jesper Hertel Jesper Hertel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?

This English string looks weird:

"You can define your own gradients and modify existing gradients, as well
as save and load a list of gradient files." (
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/da/libo_help/translate/sdraw/guide.po#unit=28581530
)

"[S]ave and load a list of gradient files"? Save and load a list of files?

Shouldn't that be "save and load files with lists of gradients" or
something similar?


Jesper

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
anne-ology anne-ology
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?

       I agree with you, Jesper;
           manual after manual these computer guys have used convoluted
language which makes it next to impossible to understand what's what - I
gave up years ago reading these manuals learning instead by sitting down,
opening up whatever program & checking all those menu options along the top.



From: Jesper Hertel <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?
To: LibreOffice Localization Mailing List <[hidden email]>


This English string looks weird:

"You can define your own gradients and modify existing gradients, as well
as save and load a list of gradient files." (
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/da/libo_help/translate/sdraw/guide.po#unit=28581530
)

"[S]ave and load a list of gradient files"? Save and load a list of files?

Shouldn't that be "save and load files with lists of gradients" or
something similar?

Jesper

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Donald Rogers Donald Rogers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[libreoffice-l10n] New(?) colors in UI svx

In the UI: svx/source/dialog.po there are some colors to be translated:
Tango green, Tango red and others with Tango in the name. What is the
significance of the word Tango? Is it part of the color name or is it
software or something else?

What colors are Sunburst, Brownie, Sunset and Clay?

I have searched the web for these colors. They are not in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors. Any clues?

Regards
Donaldo

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Yury Yury
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New(?) colors in UI svx


On 12/01/2014 07:07 AM, Donald wrote:
> In the UI: svx/source/dialog.po there are some colors to be translated:
> Tango green, Tango red and others with Tango in the name. What is the
> significance of the word Tango? Is it part of the color name or is it
> software or something else?

Tango scheme.

> What colors are Sunburst, Brownie, Sunset and Clay?

Why not look on those in the LibO itself? These
are artist descriptive names anyway.

Yury

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
TomD TomD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New(?) colors in UI svx

Hi :)
They sound like themes or collections of colours rather than individual
colours.  Kinda "dumbing things down" to make it easier for 'normal user'
to understand.

If you look at a "sunset" there is usual a huge range of different shades
of several different colours.  So i think the "sunset" theme is trying to
evoke the general feeling of a sunset by using a range of colours that you
might associate with sunsets.  I'd be expecting lots of reds, yellows,
maybe orange, purples.  With Brownie i'd expect earthy colours, like Ubuntu
themes - so there would be some overlap with sunset.  With clay i'd think
of greys tending towards earthy colours but none of the fiery colours.  I
think it's just to give 'normal users' an idea of what kind of colours to
expecting and to have an idea of what the designers were aiming for.

Regards from
Tom :)






On 1 December 2014 at 04:59, Yury Tarasievich <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
> On 12/01/2014 07:07 AM, Donald wrote:
>
>> In the UI: svx/source/dialog.po there are some colors to be translated:
>> Tango green, Tango red and others with Tango in the name. What is the
>> significance of the word Tango? Is it part of the color name or is it
>> software or something else?
>>
>
> Tango scheme.
>
>  What colors are Sunburst, Brownie, Sunset and Clay?
>>
>
> Why not look on those in the LibO itself? These are artist descriptive
> names anyway.
>
> Yury
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-
> unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New(?) colors in UI svx

In reply to this post by Donald Rogers
> What colors are Sunburst, Brownie, Sunset and Clay?
>
> I have searched the web for these colors. They are not in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors. Any clues?

They are not colors, but color gradients. You can see them if you e.g.
draw a rectangle, choose Area in context menu of the rectangle and go to
the Gradient tab.

Best regards,
Stanislav

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
anne-ology anne-ology
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?

In reply to this post by Jesper Hertel
       Commendations to you, Jesper.

       Now, I've just 'searched' for the definition of 'gradient files'
only to find
           site after site dealing with color imaging  ???
          but nary a site dealing with defining this concept  ;-(

       Therefore, I would suggest that LO's page first define this concept
          then re-word this convoluted sentence to one which the layman can
readily understand  ;-)

       Here's hoping that someone will define this concept ...
           and here's sending you, Jesper, all the best in your many
endeavours,



From: Jesper Hertel <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?
To: anne-ology <[hidden email]>


2014-11-29 23:36 GMT+01:00 anne-ology <[hidden email]>:

       I agree with you, Jesper;
>            manual after manual these computer guys have used convoluted
> language which makes it next to impossible to understand what's what - I
> gave up years ago reading these manuals learning instead by sitting down,
> opening up whatever program & checking all those menu options along the
> top.
>
>

Well, that is also the way I learn new programs. :-)

But now I decided to be a translator, and part of it is translating the
help file, so I am trying to do my best with that. But then I need to be
sure I understand the original English text.

Jesper

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Jesper Hertel Jesper Hertel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] "save and load a list of gradient files"?

2014-12-01 22:02 GMT+01:00 anne-ology <[hidden email]>:

>        Commendations to you, Jesper.
>
>        Now, I've just 'searched' for the definition of 'gradient files'
> only to find
>            site after site dealing with color imaging  ???
>           but nary a site dealing with defining this concept  ;-(
>
>        Therefore, I would suggest that LO's page first define this concept
>           then re-word this convoluted sentence to one which the layman can
> readily understand  ;-)
>

I would suggest that too!

Or, that they correct the sentence, in case the sentence is actually badly
written and that what we are talking about is actually a file with a list
of gradients. I do suspect the latter is the case, but I need confirmation
on that.


>
>        Here's hoping that someone will define this concept ...
>

Thank you!


>            and here's sending you, Jesper, all the best in your many
> endeavours,
>

:-D

Thank you so much, anne-ology! All the best to you too! And to the rest
that are reading this. :-)


Jesper

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Donald Rogers Donald Rogers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] New(?) colors in UI svx

In reply to this post by Stanislav Horáček
Thanks to those who replied. I take it that Tango is part of the name of
a set of colors, and the others are color gradients.

Donald


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted