[libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

[libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi *,

you might have noticed that there are new strings in your projects -
the templates have been updated to the latest ones for 5.0

The bulk of changed strings in UI is from the added emoji autocorrect
file (1395 "words").

There were some change in casing or typography, for which the update
should have kept your original string, but has flagged it as fuzzy.
That should keep the amount of actual re-translating needed quite low.

As this has been the first time the update has been performed on the
new server, please report any irregularities.

ciao
Christian

Serg Bormant Serg Bormant

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi, all.

<[hidden email]>:

> The bulk of changed strings in UI is from the added emoji autocorrect
> file (1395 "words").

"emoji autocorrect file", what is it exactly? Do we need to translate
these "words"? Are there any hints about using space character in
emoji names?

Thanks.

--
wbr, sb

Mihkel Tõnnov Mihkel Tõnnov

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

> Hi, all.

> <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > The bulk of changed strings in UI is from the added emoji autocorrect
> > file (1395 "words").
> >

> "emoji autocorrect file", what is it exactly? Do we need to translate
> these "words"? Are there any hints about using space character in
> emoji names?

See here ;) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji

Br, Mihkel

Yury Yury

On 06/29/2015 11:53 AM, Mihkel Tõnnov wrote:
>> "emoji autocorrect file", what is it exactly? Do we need to translate
> See here ;) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji

Regardless of non-trivial effort and commendable
result, I'm aghast, guys.

So that's how manpower is spent these days in
text-processing projects of LO calibre?
Serving the transition from language to
pictograms? Pointing and grunting next, I
suppose (oh, it's there already, androids).

Sorry for that rant, I'm envisioning doing the
1,5k of these.

-Yury

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi Mihkel, *,

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Mihkel Tõnnov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <[hidden email]>:

>> As this has been the first time the update has been performed on the
>> new server, please report any irregularities.
>

> Not an irregularity as such, but downloading .pot-s from the projects at
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/templates/ is disabled again.

What do you mean with "again"?

"nobody" (aka even unregistered/not-logged in) as well as "default"
(i.e. everyone logged in) have the permission to download archives of
the project.

But I see that in the not-logged-in case there is no "sidebar" with the link.

however, using https://translations.documentfoundation.org/export/?path=/templates/libo_ui/
works even when not logged-in, same for libo_help

So for anonymous/non-logged in users it is a matter of knowing the
link - but when logged in, you should see (or be able to expand) the
sidebar with the links.

ciao
Christian

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi Serg, *,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Serg Bormant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, all.

> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> The bulk of changed strings in UI is from the added emoji autocorrect
>> file (1395 "words").
>
> "emoji autocorrect file", what is it exactly?

The file has pretty good comments, and also lists the target-character
(of course you need a font that contains the character to display it),
other than that you need to imagine by the string-identifier and the
autocorrect sequence.

> Do we need to translate
> these "words"?

No, if you think it is a waste of time, don't translate.

And for some it doesn't really make sense to translate, for example
the double-exclamation mark character using two !! is a good way to
represent it, or the ellipsis (three-dots-character) using ... for it
is pretty straightforward.

But of course for the other symbols, using a localized trigger might make sense.

> Are there any hints about using space character in
> emoji names?

Space is OK - some of the English strings already make use of it. For
example "do not litter" or "potable water" signs/triggers.

But just noticed a bug in pootle. It doesn't display the developer
comments for the higher unicode samples...
e.g.  for the cent symbol:
¢ (U+000A2), see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji
6xmho

Must be unicode related bug in the DB....

ciao
Christian

Serg Bormant Serg Bormant

<[hidden email]>:

> But just noticed a bug in pootle. It doesn't display the developer
> comments for the higher unicode samples...
> e.g.  for the cent symbol:
> ¢ (U+000A2), see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji
> 6xmho
>
> Must be unicode related bug in the DB....

Some of them has comments for high range too, for ex:

† (U+02020), 6juUB
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/ru/libo_ui/translate/extras/source/autocorr/emoji.po#filter=all&unit=93423985

ffl (U+0FB04), LcntK
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/ru/libo_ui/translate/extras/source/autocorr/emoji.po#filter=all&unit=93425497

but some has not:

https://translations.documentfoundation.org/ru/libo_ui/translate/extras/source/autocorr/emoji.po#filter=all&unit=93425565
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/ru/libo_ui/translate/extras/source/autocorr/emoji.po#filter=all&unit=93425569

and further...

These comments have no codepoint numbers, so we have no chance to find
corresponding image in Unicode reference without mistakes.

--
wbr, sb

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi Serg,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Serg Bormant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> But just noticed a bug in pootle. It doesn't display the developer
>> comments for the higher unicode samples...
>> e.g.  for the cent symbol:
>> ¢ (U+000A2), see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji
>> 6xmho
>>
>> Must be unicode related bug in the DB....
>
> Some of them has comments for high range too, for ex:
>
> † (U+02020), 6juUB

Those are not "high" :-)

> ffl (U+0FB04), LcntK

There the first one still is zero :-)

> but some has not:
>
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/ru/libo_ui/translate/extras/source/autocorr/emoji.po#filter=all&unit=93425565

#. 𝄞 (U+1D11E), see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji
#. 6CVtL
#: emoji.ulf

 https://translations.documentfoundation.org/ru/libo_ui/translate/extras/source/autocorr/emoji.po#filter=all&unit=93425569

#. 𝄪 (U+1D12A), see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji
#. FJAMw
#: emoji.ulf

> and further...
>
> These comments have no codepoint numbers, so we have no chance to find
> corresponding image in Unicode reference without mistakes.

Yes, that is what I meant with them missing the  developer comment
(actual symbol, unicode-codepoint, link to the wikipage (and  keyid)

ciao
Christian

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi Yury, *,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Yury Tarasievich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/29/2015 11:53 AM, Mihkel Tõnnov wrote:
>>> "emoji autocorrect file", what is it exactly? Do we need to translate
>>
>> See here ;) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Emoji
>
> Regardless of non-trivial effort and commendable result,

I think trivial effort :-)

> I'm aghast, guys.
>
> So that's how manpower is spent these days in text-processing projects of LO
> calibre?

Don't understand what you mean with that.

A volunteer provided a list of characters and a corresponding
replacement table -  that is not rocket science...

> Serving the transition from language to pictograms? Pointing and grunting
> next, I suppose (oh, it's there already, androids).

People like their emojis. I myself also wouldn't necessarily enter
them using autocorrect codes, but offering that easy way doesn't hurt,
does it?

As a user, you're not restricted to those emojis, but can instead use
the autocorrect-shortcodes to insert other characters or sequences of
your choice. The biggest change about this is that the
emoji-autocorrect way doesn't require a space before and after to
trigger the replacement.

> Sorry for that rant, I'm envisioning doing the 1,5k of these.

If you think it is stupid to translate, just don't translate and reuse
the english one.
Or ignore altogether if the count of untranslated words doesn't bother you.

ciao
Christian

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

On 29/06/2015 09:37, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> > Do we need to translate
>> > these "words"?
> No, if you think it is a waste of time, don't translate.

The actual question I have is "when in my life am I going to use some of
the 1500 different emojis in a document"?.

Just a practical use, if I want to use an emoji with a vertical bar and
a horizontal bar (roughly making it a cross), how can I find it among
the 1500 translated words?

I tell you what I'll do: I go to one of the UTF-8 reference web pages
and visually pick one of the symbol that fits my need and find a way to
insert it into my doc, likely noting its codenumber... so for me
:U_1234: is quiker than any other name I did not memorize.

Yet another useless resource in LibreOffice.

--
Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice

Stanislav Horáček Stanislav Horáček

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

Hi,

> I tell you what I'll do: I go to one of the UTF-8 reference web pages
> and visually pick one of the symbol that fits my need and find a way to
> insert it into my doc, likely noting its codenumber... so for me
> :U_1234: is quiker than any other name I did not memorize.
>
> Yet another useless resource in LibreOffice.

I'm used to enter some characters as Unicode numbers (Ctrl+Shift+U1234
in Linux) and I'm not able to remember more than a few very often used
codes. So I appreciate a lot that I can type ":degree:" instead of
typing few bad trials followed by searching on web or in the special
characters table...

Best regards,
Stanislav

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

> Some of them has comments for high range too
> [...]
> but some has not [...]
> These comments have no codepoint numbers, so we have no chance to find
> corresponding image in Unicode reference without mistakes.

Yes, you have a chance. Just use a search engine such as Google or
Yandex, search for the Unicode character names that appear in the
string comment (such as MUSICAL_SYMBOL_DOUBLE_SHARP ), and the search
engine will show you the emoji in question (there are websites such as
“Emojipedia” that will tell you the codepoint and other data).

Adolfo

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Mihkel Tõnnov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <[hidden email]>:

>> The bulk of changed strings in UI is from the added emoji autocorrect
>> file (1395 "words").
>> As this has been the first time the update has been performed on the
>> new server, please report any irregularities.
>

> Just noticed that "autocorr/emoji.po" is missing from
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/templates/libo_ui/extras/source/
> and "scanner.po" is missing from
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/templates/libo_ui/extensions/source/.

D'oh, seems I forgot to actually commit the files to the templates
repo (this version of pootle doesn't do the update against templates
itself, this now has to be done outside pootle)

Fixed.

ciao
Christian

Yury Yury

On 06/29/2015 04:13 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Yury Tarasievich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Regardless of non-trivial effort and commendable result,
>
> I think trivial effort :-)

Not that trivial, surely.

>> I'm aghast, guys.
>>
>> So that's how manpower is spent these days in text-processing projects of LO
>> calibre?
>
> Don't understand what you mean with that.
>
> A volunteer provided a list of characters and a corresponding
> replacement table -  that is not rocket science...
>
>> Serving the transition from language to pictograms? Pointing and grunting
>> next, I suppose (oh, it's there already, androids).
>
> People like their emojis. I myself also wouldn't necessarily enter
> them using autocorrect codes, but offering that easy way doesn't hurt,
> does it?

God forbid me telling noble selfless volunteers
what to do with their time :) (however, I do
share the irony of Bruce Sterling,
open-source-wise).

However, I'd like to see the manpower spent more
wisely -- as there are industry-grade
mis-functions in LO yet.

This is my personal opinion to which I, too, am
entitled, I believe. If not as a muck-common
user, then as a (very very minor) contributor.

>> Sorry for that rant, I'm envisioning doing the 1,5k of these.
>
> If you think it is stupid to translate, just don't translate and reuse
> the english one.

Not stupid as such. But surely it could be,
well, postponed indefinitely, or something.

> Or ignore altogether if the count of untranslated words doesn't bother you.

Oh, but it does. It sets me back 5% in UI
strings. I'm maintaining a certain translation
(such as it is) for 10 years now, virtually alone.

-Yury

Khaled Hosny Khaled Hosny

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] templates updated in master projects (for 5.0 release)

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.