[libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés

[libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Dear Andras and all,
   In the Aragonese (an, an_ES) localization team, we have been testing
the use of "pology/pomtrans.py" with Apertium machine translation from
Spanish to Aragonese. Although the resulting strings must be very
carefully checked, the overall quality is good (they are close
languages), and we are sure that it will save us (a small team) much
time in arriving to a complete translation with respect to the
fully-manual option.
   So, I have now a .zip with a tree of Aragonese .po files with machine
translations on it, and all marked with the fuzzy flag.  I'd like to
upload them to Pootle, to review them and work there from now on.  I see
that I can upload them one-file-at-a-time at
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/an/libo35x_ui/edit.html but,
to avoid uploading them one by one, is it possible that I upload all
files bunched together in a .zip file?,  or must I send the file to one
of you so that you can do it?
   Thank you in advance!
  Best,
Juan Pablo

Andras Timar Andras Timar

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Hi Juan Pablo,

2012/1/4 Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Andras and all,
>  In the Aragonese (an, an_ES) localization team, we have been testing the
> use of "pology/pomtrans.py" with Apertium machine translation from Spanish
> to Aragonese. Although the resulting strings must be very carefully checked,
> the overall quality is good (they are close languages), and we are sure that
> it will save us (a small team) much time in arriving to a complete
> translation with respect to the fully-manual option.
>  So, I have now a .zip with a tree of Aragonese .po files with machine
> translations on it, and all marked with the fuzzy flag.  I'd like to upload
> them to Pootle, to review them and work there from now on.  I see that I can
> upload them one-file-at-a-time at
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/an/libo35x_ui/edit.html but, to
> avoid uploading them one by one, is it possible that I upload all files
> bunched together in a .zip file?,  or must I send the file to one of you so
> that you can do it?

Yes, you can upload a zip file, too, just make sure that internal
folder and file structure is the same as in Pootle.

Best regards,
Andras

Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Thanks Andras, it worked!
> Yes, you can upload a zip file, too, just make sure that internal
> folder and file structure is the same as in Pootle.
>
> Best regards,
> Andras

F Wolff F Wolff

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Op Wo, 2012-01-04 om 16:39 +0100 skryf Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés:

> Dear Andras and all,
>    In the Aragonese (an, an_ES) localization team, we have been testing
> the use of "pology/pomtrans.py" with Apertium machine translation from
> Spanish to Aragonese. Although the resulting strings must be very
> carefully checked, the overall quality is good (they are close
> languages), and we are sure that it will save us (a small team) much
> time in arriving to a complete translation with respect to the
> fully-manual option.
>    So, I have now a .zip with a tree of Aragonese .po files with machine
> translations on it, and all marked with the fuzzy flag.  I'd like to
> upload them to Pootle, to review them and work there from now on.  I see
> that I can upload them one-file-at-a-time at
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/an/libo35x_ui/edit.html but,
> to avoid uploading them one by one, is it possible that I upload all
> files bunched together in a .zip file?,  or must I send the file to one
> of you so that you can do it?

Is Apertium enabled on the Pootle server? I think it would be best for
people to use Apertium and immediately review, rather than leaving the
translations fuzzy in the files. If the English changes for some reason,
or TM matching provides fuzzy suggestions in other places, later on
reviewers might not know why something is fuzzy.

Just an idea :-)

(Apertium is also usable from inside Virtaal for the users who prefer
offline work.)

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/firefox-maybe-now-most-popular-africa

Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Hi Friedel,
  Thanks your your ideas! You are completely right that it is not the optimal solution in most cases, and I don't recommend it in general (except perhaps for other languages where Apertium works well, and with small translating communities prefering online translation, if any other language matches this conditions).
  In our case:
a) Apertium is not enabled just now on the Pootle server (I think it was till some weeks ago).
b) In the case of Aragonese, I am coincidentally the main developer of the Apertium es-an pair.  I took profit of the .po files to include new terms in Apertium dictionaries, commiting changes to the Apertium svn, but those changes will not be available immediately in the Apertium web service, so I can take profit to improve the translator and use the most recent version to improve the total translation, letting it available for the comunity.
c) My idea to overcome problems with changes in English strings is to repeat periodically the process: 1-download the .zip files from pootle, 2-retranslate fuzzy and unstranslated strings with the very last version of apertium mt and 3 -upload the files with the new translations (which affect all fuzzy strings regardless of the cause for its fuzzyness), repeating this process periodically, especially when big changes in English strings or big improvement in Apertium occurs.

I think this can work in our case, but I may be forgotting something.

   thanks!
Juan Pablo

> Is Apertium enabled on the Pootle server? I think it would be best for
> people to use Apertium and immediately review, rather than leaving the
> translations fuzzy in the files. If the English changes for some reason,
> or TM matching provides fuzzy suggestions in other places, later on
> reviewers might not know why something is fuzzy.
>
> Just an idea :-)
>
> (Apertium is also usable from inside Virtaal for the users who prefer
> offline work.)
>
> Friedel

F Wolff F Wolff

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] uploading files for Aragonese (an) localization

Op Do, 2012-01-05 om 10:31 +0100 skryf Juan Pablo Martínez Cortés:

> Hi Friedel,
>   Thanks your your ideas! You are completely right that it is not the
> optimal solution in most cases, and I don't recommend it in general
> (except perhaps for other languages where Apertium works well, and
> with small translating communities prefering online translation, if
> any other language matches this conditions).
>   In our case:
> a) Apertium is not enabled just now on the Pootle server (I think it
> was till some weeks ago).
> b) In the case of Aragonese, I am coincidentally the main developer of
> the Apertium es-an pair.  I took profit of the .po files to include
> new terms in Apertium dictionaries, commiting changes to the Apertium
> svn, but those changes will not be available immediately in the
> Apertium web service, so I can take profit to improve the translator
> and use the most recent version to improve the total translation,
> letting it available for the comunity.
> c) My idea to overcome problems with changes in English strings is to
> repeat periodically the process: 1-download the .zip files from
> pootle, 2-retranslate fuzzy and unstranslated strings with the very
> last version of apertium mt and 3 -upload the files with the new
> translations (which affect all fuzzy strings regardless of the cause
> for its fuzzyness), repeating this process periodically, especially
> when big changes in English strings or big improvement in Apertium
> occurs.

Ok, it looks like a good workflow for your circumstances. The only issue
I see is that you will always loose fuzzy strings when you retranslate
using Apertium. As long as people on your team know that nothing
important must be left as fuzzy, it can probably work well for your
team.

Good luck with the work!

Friedel