[libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

jphilipz jphilipz

[libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Hi All,

I have been translating LibO's arabic help file with a friend and we had
notice a number of things that we thought could make it easier for
translators and wondered who to speak to about this.

--
Jay Philips

dennisroczek dennisroczek

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Hi Jay,

well you are already at the correct location. ;-)

Regards,

Dennis Roczek

Am 07.05.2014 17:15, schrieb Jay Philips:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been translating LibO's arabic help file with a friend and we had
> notice a number of things that we thought could make it easier for
> translators and wondered who to speak to about this.

jphilipz jphilipz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Hi Dennis and Sophie,

Well the first thing was that some browsers, like chromium and firefox,
aren't showing "similar translations" in pootle. The other suggestions
was to improve "similar translations" to appear when it isnt and also
that "similar translations".

Jay Philips

On 05/07/2014 07:26 PM, Dennis Roczek wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> well you are already at the correct location. ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dennis Roczek
>
> Am 07.05.2014 17:15, schrieb Jay Philips:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been translating LibO's arabic help file with a friend and we had
>> notice a number of things that we thought could make it easier for
>> translators and wondered who to speak to about this.

Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Den 07.05.2014 20:40, skreiv Jay Philips:
> Hi Dennis and Sophie,
>
> Well the first thing was that some browsers, like chromium and
> firefox, aren't showing "similar translations" in pootle. The other
> suggestions was to improve "similar translations" to appear when it
> isnt and also that "similar translations".
>
> Jay Philips
I wasn't aware of this as I at the moment am translating areas with no
similar translations at all, but you are right. "Similar translations"
appears in Opera but not in Firefox (version 29.0). Not tried in other
Browsers.
Something to do with the browser settings, or an error/bug in Pootle?
Kolbjoern

sophi sophi

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Hi Jay,

Sorry, hit the wrong key
Le 07/05/2014 20:40, Jay Philips a écrit :
> Hi Dennis and Sophie,
>
> Well the first thing was that some browsers, like chromium and firefox,
> aren't showing "similar translations" in pootle. The other suggestions
> was to improve "similar translations" to appear when it isnt and also
> that "similar translations".

You can activate the suggestions in Chromium by allowing non authorized
scripts in the settings or in the navigation bar, one of the icons on
the right, I think it's the same in Firefox. I've already added it to
the wiki page for translations.

Cheers
Sophie

Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Den 07.05.2014 21:05, skreiv Kolbjørn Stuestøl:

> Den 07.05.2014 20:40, skreiv Jay Philips:
>> Hi Dennis and Sophie,
>>
>> Well the first thing was that some browsers, like chromium and
>> firefox, aren't showing "similar translations" in pootle. The other
>> suggestions was to improve "similar translations" to appear when it
>> isnt and also that "similar translations".
>>
>> Jay Philips
> I wasn't aware of this as I at the moment am translating areas with no
> similar translations at all, but you are right. "Similar translations"
> appears in Opera but not in Firefox (version 29.0). Not tried in other
> Browsers.
> Something to do with the browser settings, or an error/bug in Pootle?
> Kolbjoern
Works in Internet Explorer version 11 too.
Kolbjoern

jphilipz jphilipz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

I wouldnt have even known the option was even there if it wasnt for me
using Opera, but its sad that i only discovered it after a full days
translation work on chrome.

Jay Philips

On 05/07/2014 11:05 PM, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:

> Den 07.05.2014 20:40, skreiv Jay Philips:
>> Hi Dennis and Sophie,
>>
>> Well the first thing was that some browsers, like chromium and
>> firefox, aren't showing "similar translations" in pootle. The other
>> suggestions was to improve "similar translations" to appear when it
>> isnt and also that "similar translations".
>>
>> Jay Philips
> I wasn't aware of this as I at the moment am translating areas with no
> similar translations at all, but you are right. "Similar translations"
> appears in Opera but not in Firefox (version 29.0). Not tried in other
> Browsers.
> Something to do with the browser settings, or an error/bug in Pootle?
> Kolbjoern
>

>> On 05/07/2014 07:26 PM, Dennis Roczek wrote:
>>> Hi Jay,
>>>
>>> well you are already at the correct location. ;-)
>>>
>>> Regards,

jphilipz jphilipz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Hi Sophie,

You seem to be everywhere i look. :)

Yes i got it to work on chromium with the clicking the button in the
navigation bar, but couldnt get firefox to work. Why wiki is it on as i
went to < https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/PootleGuide#Translate >
and there wasnt info for firefox. I think it would be good to add images
of it in the wiki as well.

But ultimately i think if this is an issue with chrome/chromium and
firefox, that some type of notification should be shown to a user who
may not know to go to the wiki, as it didnt seem that something was
missing from the experience when me and my friend did it.

Jay Philips

On 05/07/2014 11:26 PM, Sophie wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> Sorry, hit the wrong key
> Le 07/05/2014 20:40, Jay Philips a écrit :
>> Hi Dennis and Sophie,
>>
>> Well the first thing was that some browsers, like chromium and firefox,
>> aren't showing "similar translations" in pootle. The other suggestions
>> was to improve "similar translations" to appear when it isnt and also
>> that "similar translations".
> You can activate the suggestions in Chromium by allowing non authorized
> scripts in the settings or in the navigation bar, one of the icons on
> the right, I think it's the same in Firefox. I've already added it to
> the wiki page for translations.
>
> Cheers
> Sophie

Mihovil Stanic Mihovil Stanic

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

It's problem because Libreoffice pootle is hosted on https page and pulling
translation suggestions from http page. When that changes it will work
automatically.
Dana 7. 5. 2014. 21:59 osoba "Jay Philips" <[hidden email]> napisala
je:

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Jay Philips <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But ultimately i think if this is an issue with chrome/chromium and firefox,
> that some type of notification should be shown to a user

Your browser already shows you a notification. In Chrome it is a
shield at the right-hand side of the location bar, in firefox it's the
icon on the left of the bar.

(and this has been discussed and mentioned multiple times on the list
already :-))

ciao
Christian

jphilipz jphilipz

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] wanted to suggestion improvements to pootle

Hi Stanic,

Look forward to when this is done. :)

Jay Philips