libreoffice wiki account creation ...

Michael Meeks Michael Meeks

libreoffice wiki account creation ...

Hi Manuel,

        Rumour has it that you're helping out with the LibreOffice wiki - which
is wonderful. I hear that (due to wiki spam, and E-mail verification
being inadequate) new account creation has been shut down.

        Unfortunately, a key part of our new developer flow - of picking an
claiming an Easy Hack is therefore not working, and/or requires a
painful round-trip to a real person to ask for an account. We can't
really afford to be putting off new developers with that.

        That is quite concerning to me; do you have any info on how we can fix
this ? presuambly there are a dozen captcha plugins for MediaWiki any
one of which we could use ? and/or we could put some simple arithmetic
problem on page changes (as freedesktop does).

        Anyhow - thoughts / advice much appreciated, and thanks for your help
with the wiki setup / admin.

        Thanks,

                Michael.

Manuel Schneider Manuel Schneider

Re: libreoffice wiki account creation ...

Hi Michael,

On 17.02.2011 13:09, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Unfortunately, a key part of our new developer flow - of picking an
> claiming an Easy Hack is therefore not working, and/or requires a
> painful round-trip to a real person to ask for an account. We can't
> really afford to be putting off new developers with that.

my last status is that Florian has enabled user account registration
today(?).

/Manuel

Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch
Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: libreoffice wiki account creation ...

I haven't worked with the wiki software that LO is using, but would it
be possible to add captcha's to signups? that makes it a lot harder for
bots to spam a site.
sophi sophi

On 17/02/2011 15:17, Manuel Schneider wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 17.02.2011 13:09, Michael Meeks wrote:
>> Unfortunately, a key part of our new developer flow - of picking an
>> claiming an Easy Hack is therefore not working, and/or requires a
>> painful round-trip to a real person to ask for an account. We can't
>> really afford to be putting off new developers with that.
>
> my last status is that Florian has enabled user account registration
> today(?).

Yes, being back now, I can take care of the spam, so I've asked Flo
yesterday and he activated account creation again. It's really important
that anybody can participate to the wiki.

Kind regards
Sophie
Florian Effenberger-4 Florian Effenberger-4

Re: libreoffice wiki account creation ...

Sorry for confusion. Yes, I enabled it again, as Sophie returned from vacation and asked for it. ;)

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Friedrichswalder Str. 20, 87600 Kaufbeuren, DE

*** Message sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse the possible briefness.

-- Urspr. Mitt. --
Betreff: Re: libreoffice wiki account creation ...
Von: Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>
Datum: 17.02.2011 13:23