locked in other OS

Tom Tom

locked in other OS

Hi :)

When i save a file onto my company's network and then reopen it (still in Ubuntu) it all works fine.  When my boss opens the file in Windows an error-message pops-up saying that he can only open a copy or in Read-Only mode.  It's closed on my machine but his one claims it's still open.  Then my boss changes the name, edits the document, saves and closes.  Then when i open the new version of the document it tells me i can only open in Read Only (or a copy)!

It does have a slight advantage in that it forces my boss to effectively make backups and i am gradually encouraging a standard versioning system other than
filename-draft.doc
filename-final.doc
filename-FINAL.doc
filename-revised.doc
filename-final.doc
in roughly random order and sometimes without the filename part so folders end up full of documents that could be about anything.  Draft does not always come first and may even be the final and revised might be a revised draft or just be a draft.  Hence frequent shouts of "so which one am i supposed to open?".  It's slow going but at least we seem to make occasional steps forwards.

So, i am not sure i really want to fix the problem but it's one of the excuses some of my colleagues use to revert to inferior products instead of going with LO.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: locked in other OS

On 2012-11-08 00:57, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> When i save a file onto my company's network and then reopen it (still in Ubuntu) it all works fine.  When my boss opens the file in Windows an error-message pops-up saying that he can only open a copy or in Read-Only mode.  It's closed on my machine but his one claims it's still open.  Then my boss changes the name, edits the document, saves and closes.  Then when i open the new version of the document it tells me i can only open in Read Only (or a copy)!
>

> It does have a slight advantage in that it forces my boss to effectively make backups and i am gradually encouraging a standard versioning system other than
> filename-draft.doc
> filename-final.doc
> filename-FINAL.doc
> filename-revised.doc
> filename-final.doc
> in roughly random order and sometimes without the filename part so folders end up full of documents that could be about anything.  Draft does not always come first and may even be the final and revised might be a revised draft or just be a draft.  Hence frequent shouts of "so which one am i supposed to open?".  It's slow going but at least we seem to make occasional steps forwards.
>
> So, i am not sure i really want to fix the problem but it's one of the excuses some of my colleagues use to revert to inferior products instead of going with LO.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Hi.
Are lock files left behind in the folder with the files you edit. I
noticed yesterday that after working on a file on the server the lock
file remained after I closed the file I was editing.
.~lock.shearBeamDescription.odt#
Steve

nabbler nabbler

Re: locked in other OS

On 07/11/2012, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It does have a slight advantage in that it forces my boss to effectively
> make backups and i am gradually encouraging a standard versioning system
> other than
> filename-draft.doc
> filename-final.doc
> filename-FINAL.doc
> filename-revised.doc
> filename-final.doc
> in roughly random order and sometimes without the filename part so folders
> end up full of documents that could be about anything.  Draft does not
> always come first and may even be the final and revised might be a revised
> draft or just be a draft.  Hence frequent shouts of "so which one am i
> supposed to open?".  It's slow going but at least we seem to make occasional
> steps forwards.

For proper version control, either use m$ sharepoint, or use LO fodt
option (i.e. flat xml output) with subversion (ultravnc client or
command terminal).

Tom Tom

Re: locked in other OS

Hi E-letter :)
Hmmm, version control is not the problem i was writing in about.

Why should and how could i encourage my boss to use MS crap when he has enough difficulty adding a 1 to a name that ends with v2, v3 or draft2, draft3 or whatever??

Any chance of trying to answer the question or at least be less unhelpful?

>________________________________

Tom Tom

Re: locked in other OS

Ahah, just found this message!  Thank you Steve :)

No the weird thing is that if i stay on the same computer and try to reopen the file using the same OS then it opens fine and allows me to edit.  It's only when a different OS is used that the file only opens as Read-Only

I can't see a lock-file in the folder that the document is in and i can't remember the other place lock-files get stored.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

Luuk Luuk

Re: locked in other OS

On 07-11-2012 12:57, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> When i save a file onto my company's network and then reopen it (still in Ubuntu) it all works fine.  When my boss opens the file in Windows an error-message pops-up saying that he can only open a copy or in Read-Only mode.  It's closed on my machine but his one claims it's still open.  Then my boss changes the name, edits the document, saves and closes.  Then when i open the new version of the document it tells me i can only open in Read Only (or a copy)!
>

> It does have a slight advantage in that it forces my boss to effectively make backups and i am gradually encouraging a standard versioning system other than
> filename-draft.doc
> filename-final.doc
> filename-FINAL.doc
> filename-revised.doc
> filename-final.doc
> in roughly random order and sometimes without the filename part so folders end up full of documents that could be about anything.  Draft does not always come first and may even be the final and revised might be a revised draft or just be a draft.  Hence frequent shouts of "so which one am i supposed to open?".  It's slow going but at least we seem to make occasional steps forwards.
>
> So, i am not sure i really want to fix the problem but it's one of the excuses some of my colleagues use to revert to inferior products instead of going with LO.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Make sure permissions are set correctly.....

If i create a document on my shared drive (a linux system) from my
Windows computer, its created like this:

(from the command-prompt on linux:)
luuk@opensuse:~/tmp> ls -l test.odt
-rwxr--r-- 1 luuk users 8949 Nov  8 20:53 test.odt

You, of course, notice the '-rwxr--r--' ath the start?
The first 'rws' means the owner ('luuk') can read and write
The second 'r--' means the group ('users') can read
The third 'r--' meand the world can read

If your boss opens, and saves under a different name, the owner of this
new file will be your boss....  ;)

Learn about unix rights, and your problems will solve itself.....
( read:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i-set-permissions-to-samba-shares.html
)

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Tom Tom

Re: locked in other OS

Hi :)
Ahh, thanks.  I'm not sure why it doesn't happen with other programs but i think you are onto the answer there.  I'll read your link later.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

>________________________________

Is it a windows file server or a linux file server.
Lock files are hidden, you need to turn on show hidden files to see them.
steve

On 2012-11-09 10:30, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Ahh, thanks.  I'm not sure why it doesn't happen with other programs but i think you are onto the answer there.  I'll read your link later.
> Thanks and regards from
> Tom :)
>

>> ________________________________

>>> filename-final.doc
>>> filename-FINAL.doc
>>> filename-revised.doc
>>> filename-final.doc
>>> in roughly random order and sometimes without the filename part so folders end up full of documents that could be about anything.  Draft does not always come first and may even be the final and revised might be a revised draft or just be a draft.  Hence frequent shouts of "so which one am i supposed to open?".  It's slow going but at least we seem to make occasional steps forwards.
>>>
>>> So, i am not sure i really want to fix the problem but it's one of the excuses some of my colleagues use to revert to inferior products instead of going with LO.
>>>
>>> Regards from
>>> Tom :)
>>>
>> Make sure permissions are set correctly.....
>>
>> If i create a document on my shared drive (a linux system) from my
>> Windows computer, its created like this:
>>
>> (from the command-prompt on linux:)
>> luuk@opensuse:~/tmp> ls -l test.odt
>> -rwxr--r-- 1 luuk users 8949 Nov  8 20:53 test.odt
>>
>> You, of course, notice the '-rwxr--r--' ath the start?
>> The first 'rws' means the owner ('luuk') can read and write
>> The second 'r--' means the group ('users') can read
>> The third 'r--' meand the world can read
>>
>> If your boss opens, and saves under a different name, the owner of this
>> new file will be your boss....  ;)
>>
>> Learn about unix rights, and your problems will solve itself.....
>> ( read:
>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i-set-permissions-to-samba-shares.html
>> )

Tom Tom

Re: locked in other OS

Hi :)
The file-server runs on Debian.  My network admin tried explaining file-permissions but it went right over my head.  It's nice to have the link so i can try re-reading it until i understand it.

I do see hidden files but no ~lock file.

So, i think you are onto something with the permissions even though other programs don't seem to have the same problem.  Although if Word or other MSO stuff does i wouldn't have noticed of course.  I might test that later.

Do you have access (other than file sharing) to the debian server. If
not you may need to ask your admin for the owner, group and permissions
for 2 specific files (one you can edit and your boss can't, one he can
edit and you can't) to compare.

I force permissions so that the owner on the server differs from the
user and is not seen by the user.
steve