low system resources - how low can you really go?

krackedpress krackedpress

low system resources - how low can you really go?

Is there anything I can do to reduce some of the system requirements?

I have a P-III tablet, running Win2000/pro, that has less than 256 MB
ram and only 4 GB drive with 2 gig free.  I would love to have
LibreOffice on it, but OOo 1.x is on it now and I just installed Word 97
on it for the .doc files.  I would rather have LibreOffice on it instead
of OOo 1.x and Word 97, but I will not use it much for office work,
except faxes, since it is the only machine I now have that can send
[print] faxes.  Seems like Vista does not have it for the non-business
versions, and I cannot get Ubuntu [9.x or 10.x] to use any of my
fax/modem cards.

I also use 800 by 600 for the tablet, since that is the smallest icon
and system/menu font size I can use on it and its touch pad on screen
keyboard.

IF I could get the fax/modem to work, along with the touch features
needed, I could switch to Linux.  I do have to find out if it is
"faster" than Win2000 for this P-III 400MHz tablet.

---------------

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing LibreOffice on a
Windows system are as follows:

     * Microsoft Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or higher), XP, Vista, or
Windows 7;
     * Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent system
recommended);
     * 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
     * Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
     * 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at
least 256 colors.

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: low system resources - how low can you really go?

"webmaster for Kracked Press Productions" <[hidden email]> wrote
in message news:[hidden email]...

>Is there anything I can do to reduce some of the system requirements?
>
>I have a P-III tablet, running Win2000/pro, that has less than 256 MB ram
>and only 4 GB drive with 2 gig free.  I would love to have LibreOffice on
>it, but OOo 1.x is on it now and I just installed Word 97 on it for the
>.doc files.  I would rather have LibreOffice on it instead of OOo 1.x and
>Word 97, but I will not use it much for office work, except faxes, since it
>is the only machine I now have that can send [print] faxes.  Seems like
>Vista does not have it for the non-business versions, and I cannot get
>Ubuntu [9.x or 10.x] to use any of my fax/modem cards.
>
>I also use 800 by 600 for the tablet, since that is the smallest icon and
>system/menu font size I can use on it and its touch pad on screen keyboard.
>
>IF I could get the fax/modem to work, along with the touch features needed,
>I could switch to Linux.  I do have to find out if it is "faster" than
>Win2000 for this P-III 400MHz tablet.
>
>---------------
>
>The software and hardware prerequisites for installing LibreOffice on a
>Windows system are as follows:
>
>     * Microsoft Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or higher), XP, Vista, or
> Windows 7;
>     * Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent system
> recommended);
>     * 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
>     * Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
>     * 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least
> 256 colors.

<snipped>

How about the PortableApps version that installs on a USB key or external
hard drive without touching your hard disk? See www.portableapps.com

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

On 04/05/2011 08:15 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "webmaster for Kracked Press Productions" <[hidden email]>
> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
>
>> Is there anything I can do to reduce some of the system requirements?
>>
>> I have a P-III tablet, running Win2000/pro, that has less than 256 MB
>> ram and only 4 GB drive with 2 gig free.  I would love to have
>> LibreOffice on it, but OOo 1.x is on it now and I just installed Word
>> 97 on it for the .doc files.  I would rather have LibreOffice on it
>> instead of OOo 1.x and Word 97, but I will not use it much for office
>> work, except faxes, since it is the only machine I now have that can
>> send [print] faxes.  Seems like Vista does not have it for the
>> non-business versions, and I cannot get Ubuntu [9.x or 10.x] to use
>> any of my fax/modem cards.
>>
>> I also use 800 by 600 for the tablet, since that is the smallest icon
>> and system/menu font size I can use on it and its touch pad on screen
>> keyboard.
>>
>> IF I could get the fax/modem to work, along with the touch features
>> needed, I could switch to Linux.  I do have to find out if it is
>> "faster" than Win2000 for this P-III 400MHz tablet.
>>
>> ---------------
>>
>> The software and hardware prerequisites for installing LibreOffice on
>> a Windows system are as follows:
>>
>>     * Microsoft Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or higher), XP, Vista,
>> or Windows 7;
>>     * Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent
>> system recommended);
>>     * 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
>>     * Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
>>     * 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at
>> least 256 colors.
>>
> <snipped>
>
> How about the PortableApps version that installs on a USB key or
> external hard drive without touching your hard disk? See
> www.portableapps.com

I have half the ram needed [128MB] and run a P-III at 400 MHz.  The
Portable App version takes almost 3 minutes to load up on a 2GHz laptop,
so it could take 5 or 10 to load on a 400MHz one.  USB thumb drive [for
data] is hit or miss.  I have one that is used for something else, but
works with the tablet, but my other that uses removable
SD/MiniSD/MicroSD cards does not.  Will have to try some other types of
thumb drives later.

The big reason I want this system working is using it as an e-reader, a
fax "sender", and a few other things that a tablet can do that my
desktop and larger laptop cannot anymore.

Also, when did this type of software need 1 gig of hard drive space?