m$ and munich

message message

m$ and munich

Is there a trail of money between m$ and munich?

https://diasp.eu/posts/5166693

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: m$ and munich

> Is there a trail of money between m$ and munich?
>
> https://diasp.eu/posts/5166693

​I know of no evidence, but if one is adept at avoiding taxes, money can be
saved to use for other purposes :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/10/how-microsoft-avoided-billions-in-taxes-and-what-the-gop-says-theyll-do-about-it/..
..

Henri

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: m$ and munich

Well, from what I know, Microsoft moved offices from the area outside
Munich into the town.
Whether this had an influence on the decision of the city council? God
only knows;-)...

--
Gruesse aus Fuerstenbrunn

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: m$ and munich

If they pay more taxes to the city, then there might be a deal to not
ask for a "tax discount" if the city uses M$ products.

In my city and county [in USA] a big reason we get business is due to
the governments involved will give then some reduced taxes, or tax free,
for a number of years.  They do this to help the area employ more people
who need the type of work offered.  Now we have an arena that needs a
new owner or we loose a lot of events along with our hockey teem.  The
new buyer wants the city and county to replace the "ice plant" at a cost
of 1.5 million dollars or it is no deal.

So if M$ moves into the city, there has to be some advantage to M$,
since I bet that the property taxes are higher than the old location.

On 02/17/2017 09:43 AM, H. Stoellinger wrote:

> Well, from what I know, Microsoft moved offices from the area outside
> Munich into the town.
> Whether this had an influence on the decision of the city council? God
> only knows;-)...
>
> Am 2017-02-17 um 15:25 schrieb M Henri Day:
>>
>>> Is there a trail of money between m$ and munich?
>>>
>>> https://diasp.eu/posts/5166693
>>
>> ​I know of no evidence, but if one is adept at avoiding taxes, money
>> can be
>> saved to use for other purposes :
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/10/how-microsoft-avoided-billions-in-taxes-and-what-the-gop-says-theyll-do-about-it/..
>>
>> ..
>>
>> Henri

Tom Cloyd Tom Cloyd

Re: m$ and munich

You guys are missing something here. I don't have the link, but I read a
news report on this (in The Guardian perhaps) which said that what had
happened was that has been a group of conservatives in city government who
have been opposed to the switch to opensource from the start have assumed
leadership in the government. This change appears to be happening because
they are now calling the shots.

Tom

Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make
sense of
what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.
And
however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and
succeed
at. It matters that you don't just give up. ~ Steven Hawking

Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
<< [hidden email] >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: m$ and munich

> You guys are missing something here. I don't have the link, but I read a
> news report on this (in The Guardian perhaps) which said that what had
> happened was that has been a group of conservatives in city government who
> have been opposed to the switch to opensource from the start have assumed
> leadership in the government. This change appears to be happening because
> they are now calling the shots.
>
> Tom
> Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
>

> > If they pay more taxes to the city, then there might be a deal to not ask
> > for a "tax discount" if the city uses M$ products.
> >
> > In my city and county [in USA] a big reason we get business is due to the
> > governments involved will give then some reduced taxes, or tax free, for
> > number of years.  They do this to help the area employ more people who
> need
> > the type of work offered.  Now we have an arena that needs a new owner or
> > we loose a lot of events along with our hockey teem.  The new buyer wants
> > the city and county to replace the "ice plant" at a cost of 1.5 million
> > dollars or it is no deal.
> >
> > So if M$ moves into the city, there has to be some advantage to M$, since
> > I bet that the property taxes are higher than the old location.
> >

> > On 02/17/2017 09:43 AM, H. Stoellinger wrote:
> >
> >> Well, from what I know, Microsoft moved offices from the area outside
> >> Munich into the town.
> >> Whether this had an influence on the decision of the city council? God
> >> only knows;-)...

> can

​Tom, there have been a plethora of articles on München's decision to
switch back to Microsoft, and one of the important factors seems indeed to
have been a change in the municipal administration. But from what I
understand it was not a new «conservative» ​
-
​ i e, CSU​
-
​ majyr that pushed for this change, but a Social Democrat​
​ (SPD), Dieter Reiter (
https://www.techworm.net/2017/02/first-linux-flag-bearer-munich-dumps-linux-windows-10.html)
:

«All Munich city computers were running on Linux. However, the 2014 arrival
of a new lord mayor, Dieter Reiter of the Social Democratic Party (SPD),
spelled trouble for the flagship scheme. Reiter wanted the city to move
back to Windows and commissioned a report from consultants, including
Microsoft partner Accenture, which said
<http://www.techrepublic.com/article/open-source-pioneer-munich-debates-report-that-suggests-abandoning-linux-for-windows-10/>
staff should be given the option of using Windows 10 and Microsoft Office.

Now the administration’s Windows move will be put to vote and if approved,
Munich’s desktops will be running on Windows 10 all the way. In the
interim, the committee suggested, city workers should still be able to run
Windows or LiMux as they choose.

“The mayor was against free software from the beginning,” said Matthias
Kirschner, the president of Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE). “When
he was elected, he took pride in getting Microsoft to move their office to
Munich [a move that took place last September]. He even gave this study to
Accenture, which is a Microsoft partner.”»

Our friends at the Foundation will no doubt have (some of) the details....

Henri

Dave Stevens Dave Stevens

Re: m$ and munich

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:17:38 -0800
Tom Cloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You guys are missing something here. I don't have the link, but I
> read a news report on this (in The Guardian perhaps) which said that
> what had happened was that has been a group of conservatives in city
> government who have been opposed to the switch to opensource from the
> start have assumed leadership in the government. This change appears
> to be happening because they are now calling the shots.
>
> Tom

yes and the register says there's a faction claiming the cost issues
are just from bad IT management and this is an ass-covering exercise.

--
In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are

----- Ursula Le Guin

Tom Cloyd Tom Cloyd

Re: m$ and munich

Excellent! Thanks for the correction. Sometimes, because I read so much
every day, I get things wrong. It sure appears that I did so in this case.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:41 AM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> <http://www.techrepublic.com/article/open-source-pioneer-munich-debates-report-that-suggests-abandoning-linux-for-windows-10/>
> staff should be given the option of using Windows 10 and Microsoft Office.
>
> Now the administration’s Windows move will be put to vote and if approved,
> Munich’s desktops will be running on Windows 10 all the way. In the
> interim, the committee suggested, city workers should still be able to run
> Windows or LiMux as they choose.
>
> “The mayor was against free software from the beginning,” said Matthias
> Kirschner, the president of Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE). “When
> he was elected, he took pride in getting Microsoft to move their office to
> Munich [a move that took place last September]. He even gave this study to
> Accenture, which is a Microsoft partner.”»
>
> Our friends at the Foundation will no doubt have (some of) the details....

Just for completeness...
The major of Munich is a social democrat (SPD), his first deputy (CSU -
i.e. conservative), second deputy SPD. This is not to contradict what Tom
says, because the "top notches" don't necessarily call the game - at least
not in THIS part of the world. On the other hand, M$ located WITHIN the
city does mean more tax income and additional jobs, an argument that is
hard to ignore...
Don't misunderstand me: I am by no means a fan of M$ (having worked for
IBM and thus experiencing Bill Gates at his best!!), and having been a
loyal,
very satisfied user of Linux, LibreOffice, etc., etc., for lots of years...
H. Stoellinger, Salzburg, Austria

--
Gruesse aus Fuerstenbrunn

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: m$ and munich

Well in the USA are new president and the federal government are
Republicans in charge.

We are in charge so we tell you and the world this is what we are going
to do, even if it causing a lot of havoc.

But to be realistic, a lot of what "they" want to do cannot happen or
could if you force people to accept reduction of many of the regulations
that help keep people healthy and other things.

The same goes on with all countries that are ruled by one party, or by a
government that is to the far left or far right.  This goes on at all
levels of the governments.  We are in power now, finally, and everything
we could not do before now will be done, whether is is for the best for
the people they serve.