[michael.meeks@suse.com: minutes of ESC call ...]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[michael.meeks@suse.com: minutes of ESC call ...]

----- Forwarded message from Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:41:46 +0100
From: Michael Meeks <[hidden email]>
To: libreoffice-dev <[hidden email]>, Libreoffice-qa <[hidden email]>
Subject: minutes of ESC call ...
X-Mailer: Evolution 3.2.1

* Present:
        + Norbert, Stephan, Caolan, Eike, Thorsten, Markus,
          Kohei, Cedric, Andras, Bjoern, Tor, Kendy, Ellie,
          Rainer, Michael S, Michael M, Petr, Lubos, Mitch

* Completed Action Items
        + poke RedHat security guy wrt. keys (Caolan)
        + investigate ChromeOS fonts (Caolan)
                + Google purchased liberation, and added more glyphs
                  best solution is to merge glyphs into Liberation,
                  for now, wait on Liberation guys to get it sorted.
AA: re-visit ChromeOS fonts in 2 weeks (Caolan)
        + investigate Liberation Narrow (Bjoern)
                + it is included, no problem / action required
        + firewall issues for new linux tinderbox (Thorsten)
                + Norbert getting it setup

* Pending Action Items
        + add encryption default UI option in 3.6 (Thorsten)
        + rename VCL API to make it GetBeamerFoo & fix (Michael)
        + [pending] pull up misc. internal versions for 3.6 (Fridrich)
        + get headers to allow rtl:: namespace omitted in soon (Lubos)
                + but not do the big seds yet

* Action Items review

* Release Engineering update (Petr)
        + 3.5.3 status
                + builds for rc2 are being pushed to mirrors, to be
                  announced tomorrow - on track for release next week.
                + thanks for help tripple reviewing patches etc.
        + 3.5.4 - two weeks free before May 14th freeze.
        + 3.6 status
                + nothing new; June 4th feature-freeze in five weeks.

* GSOC update (Cedric)
        + community bonding period started
                + to help people feel at home, get them on IRC etc.
                + get them commit access, setup etc.
                + please CC me on freedesktop account bugs - with details.
        + 10x accepted students:
          Andrzej Hunt - Smartphone remote control for Impress
          ArturoPL - Tooling - More and better tests
          Brennan Vincent - Implementing a Microsoft Publisher import filter
          Daniel Bankston - Calc Performance Improvements
          Daniel Korostil - Lightproof improvements
          Gökcen Eraslan - Signed PDF export
          iainb - Java GUI for Libre-Office Based Android App(s)
          Marco Cecchetti - Enhanced Impress svg export filter
          Matúš Kukan - Telepathy for collaboration
          Rafael - New templates picking UI

* configure.in options (Caolan/Lubos)
        + should configure auto-detect libs on system
        + pro:
                + makes it easier for new people to build
        + con:
                + problems with unexpected changes hurting
                  packagers / release engineers.
        + requirement (Bjoern)
                + have a mode where explicit enable/disable
                  states are hard-tested to avoid new &
                  interesting bugs. an --[no]-auto-magic ideal
        + longer term issue of not enabling components we
          bundle by default.
        + already have an option to force using system libs
          have another one to force internal libs for
          everything (Petr)
                + default state prefers system libraries
                + many distros prefer system libraries already
        + desire to move to more -system packages for modern
          Linux / unix systems eg. zlib (Caolan)
                + icu updates can cause behavioural changes with
                  the unicode std. so the internal version is
                  recommended - bit of a mine-field.
                + this is not shown anywhere (Lubos!)
                + ergo should not default to system icu (Caolan)
                        + at users' own risk.
        + always a grey zone of old vs. new versions (Stephan)
        + why not use distro-configs still (Norbert)
                + makes things worse
        + implement the auto-magic feature if enable by an option (Lubos)
                + without feature enabled - behaves as today
                + needs to be tested on 3x platforms and produce an
                  identical config_host.mk vs. previous setup
                  before merge.
                + beef up summary at end of configure
                  safe/dangerous/not recommended etc. eg. ICU

* stripping binaries or not (Petr)
        + don't strip solver, nor during make install
        + we have a make install-strip
                + which saves 80 megabytes in the system
                + RPM does this later automatically

* Noel's nice repeated format re-work (Eike)
        + looks good, need another attribute in the style section of ODF
AA: + propose a new attribute to the ODF/TC (Eike / Thorsten)

* tinderboxen / status (Norbert)
        + bytemark - re-booting/rdesktop issues still pending
        + new linux build-box coming
        + tinbuild2 - added some gerrit integration
                + ultimately needs some central co-ordination
                  of platforms in future.

* MSI / packaging work (Ellie)
        + best to work on master (Norbert)
        + currently have a SEGV during build lngconvex
AA: + help Ellie interactively with mingw crash (Tor)
        + some perl patches to come
        + examining custom actions for equivalent build
        + problems with 'env' changing location (send patch to list)

* QA update (Rainer/Bjoern/Petr)
        + Rainer distracted by the real world.
        + MingW build / question
                + any maintenance on these builds ? stopped testing
                + latest bug report from March
                + working on it currently (Ellie)
                + Stephan not in love / responsible
                + Tor - not so useful to add too many
                + happy with nightly MSVC snapshots of master, using them
                  for daily work (nearly perfect) (Rainer)
                        + thus optimistic wrt. 3.6 release already.
        + German S/W migration manual for authorities
                + ODF concerns wrt. impress, some validation runs planned
                  and bug filing in the next weeks.
AA: + getting Rainer's blog to the planet (Bjoern)

        + new Bugzilla components (mst)
        + change assignee for NEEDINFO, VERIFICATION, ... ? (Bjorn/Rainer/Petr)
                + both topics punted to next week: lack of time

* Use gerrit ! test it / give it a hard time (Bjoern)
        + the repo there will never get merged back,
          so play and try to do evil stuff.
        + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/
        + Norbert to merge change-id tweak to git-hooks

* 3.5 most annoying bugs ...
        + 71 open (of 205) older 68/199 74/201 73/193 66/183 58/168 57/157 58/153 52/145 49/140
             35%                   34%    37%    38%   36%    35%    36%    37%    36%    35%
        + https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=37361&hide_resolved=1

* 3.5 bugs tagged with 'regression'
        + 150(+0) bugs open of 497(+12) total

        * Component    count net *
        + Writer       - 52 (-2)
        + Presentation - 23 (+0)
        + LibreOffice  - 17 (-1)
        + Writer / RTF - 12 (-1)
        + Drawing      - 10 (+1)
        + Database     - 8  (+0)
        + Spreadsheet  - 9  (+2)
        + Basic        - 2  (+0)

        + https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=regression%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&resolution=---&query_format=advanced&product=LibreOffice&list_id=36764

--
[hidden email]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot


_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice


----- End forwarded message -----

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted