minutes of ESC call ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Michael Meeks-5 Michael Meeks-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

minutes of ESC call ...

* Present:
         + Stephan, JanI, Michael, Heiko, Lionel, norbert, Eike, Cloph,
           Xisco, Kendy, Miklos, Sophie, Andras, Olivier, Thorsten, Jan-Marek
 
* Completed Action Items:
    + add F-droid maintenance to the TDF priorities sheet (Michael)
    + simplify & cleanup broken Windows build instructions & test (JanI)
        [ done, need to check a couple of bits with Norbert tomorrow.
          asked experience devs to refrain from nit-picking:
          Done https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/lode ]
    + enable linux / system library checker on CI (Norbert)
        [ not sure how to debug the heisenbugs, a simple script,
          parallelised it - claiming some internal library not there.
          script is run after the build - trying to look at the deps. ]
    + tweak UI and get LiveConnect API key / build case for board (Christian)
        [ done - sent keys to Norbert from the Mac build - question if it works.
          building Alpha now with it (Norbert) ]
 
* Pending Action Items:
    + align release dates and issues, patch merging (Caolan, Cloph)
        [ waiting on AOO decision ]
    + poke at MSDN licenses (Michael)
        [ update - an ongoing issue here. ]
    + Ask beta-co-working for a couple of days before FOSDEM (Sophie)
        [ will poke next week ].
 
* hangout issues (Michael)
    + tried to sign up for a Google Apps account.
        + don't want my money apparently - or it would be far easier.
    + E-mail on the dev-list (JanI)
        + Kobo - been testing Jitsi for a while.
        + there is one setup; QA is using it ?
            + used in the past for QA meetings (Xisco)
AI: + send some instructions out for next time (Michael)
 
* Release Engineering update (Cloph)
    + 5.1 → 5.1.6 rc2 update done, announcing today.
        + last release of 5.1.x announcement due next week
    + 5.2.3 RC2 (janI)
        + tag due Tuesday - 25th.
    + 5.3.0 alpha 1 Oct 18th
        + tag done before the call, libreoffice-5.3.0.0.alpha1
        + Nov 21st: branch-off & beta1 (Cloph)
    + Android & iOS Remote (Cloph)
        + still pending an update.
    + separated pootle projects but - still syncing
        + created the libreoffice-5-2 project, but copying
          in the background until Sunday.
             + apparently much faster up-stream; not updated yet.
 
* Signing Certificate /StartCom fuzz (Cloph)
    + our extended validation certificate used for signing the windows builds was
    + issued 2015-06-01 and is valid until 2018-05-31 (so isreali standards)
 
* Website certs (Cloph)
    + issued in March 2016, valid until March 2019
    + Mozilla to block certs issued after October 2016
      https://blog.gerv.net/2016/10/wosign-and-startcom/
 
* BitDefender false-positives (Michael)
    + tested on Window 8.1 and 10 - no issue (JanI)
       + seems like a local issue so far.
 
* Documentation (Olivier)
    + http://documentation.libreoffice.org 99% done,
       + awating NL support,
       + 2 pages remaining to fill.
    + Support for Fabio Biocchetti - student, with Kendy and Osvaldo
       + Working now in a new help system (XHP + XSL + JS)
       + Need to have him involved into dev IRC and lists and meet JanI too.
    + Patch on documentation help entry finaly in (thanks to bubli, Samuel, Thorsten, Youssuf), tdf#96015
       + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=e91a1abe4c53ea3a1ac59e3c1d5dddf98141a4ee
    + some of NLP teams - interested in books on LibreOffice
       + particularly the starting guide.
       + want to continue updating them for now.
 
* UX Update (Heiko)
  * Total number needsUXEval  472 (-2)
    + Base                      1
    + Calc                     34 (-2)
    + Draw                     67
    + Extensions                0
    + filters and storage       1
    + framework                 1
    + Impress                  24
    + Installation              0
    + LibreOffice             250
    + Localization              0
    + Printing and PDF export   1
    + UI                       16
    + Writer                   77
  * Hot topics
    + Notebookbar configuration with contextual groups
      + Ticket https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103170)
      + GDoc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vabkHLibXBXY8SSDJ6aa17VOoVYoCNZdPBttrv9aOFU/
    + Font substitution blog post (publish or perish?)
      + Meta ticket https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103342
      + GDoc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mbs-NW_w8lczMyMwUl5Uc0GYuhFK_KE6g7NASZBnIM0/
  * Tepid topics
    + Looking for junior dev to finalize area style dialog
      + already in 5.3 - but randomly crashes Heiko's system.
          + not just Heiko (Miklos)
      + Meta ticket https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103223
      + GDoc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ggZQgx55y0X_WAmO9mnoauB6ABRQX_uCvzsT8uK4oBI/
      + may have a student if Bubli can help mentor (JanI)
      + is there a necessity to use Google Docs for that ? (Thorsten)
          + experience shows no-one commented in the pad (Heiko)
          + hope to solve in next months with LOOL (Michael)
    + New landing page to better Get Involved in preparation
      + https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yPJG_4kbs2COkCPZpzOMWLJZScDsMMFmnlIaSwF6b9M/
      + existing page 2+ years old - time to update it.
    + any glade tweaks ? (Michael)
      + some notebookbar tweaks with Jay (Heiko)
AI:      + can we get a small tweak of some sort in (Michael)
 
* Crashtest update (Caolan)
    + tragic lack of Caolan.
    + ? import failure, ? export failures
    + ? coverity.
 
* Hackfests (Bjoern)
    + tragic lack of Bjoern.
    + next venues / suggestions
    + FOSDEM - confirmed dev-room (Michael)
        + collect talks at some stage.
    + Ladies-only event in Berlin, 29th October (Bubli)
        + "Ladies who FOSS" (https://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS)
        + Bubli will be there, and so is Heiko
        + now included into the list of projects: https://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS/Projects
        + built a list of non-code easy-hacks; eg. palette issue.
    + 33c3 CfP open: https://events.ccc.de/2016/09/01/call-for-participation-33rd-chaos-communication-congress-en/ (Bjoern)
        + FSFE will be there, we can meet up with them.
        + opportunity to do workshops there
        + poke Bjoern if you want to show up.
    + Hackfest Granada (Xisco/janI)
        + in the early idea phase, but to be in Autumn
        + meeting with a University next week - for a decision.
    + Hackfest Turin, Italy (janI)
        + LibreItalia conference is saturday 5th November
          In the afternoon, there will be a presentation for developers followed by a hackfest.
          Invited by LibreItalia
 
* Mentoring / easyhack update (janI)
   + legend: contributors are not-yet-committers, numbers in () are +/- compared to last week
   + openhub statistics based on analysis from 2016-09-28
             totals:   1573(0) people did 440976(0) commits in 8110794(0) lines of code
             12 month: 282(0) people did 16464(0) commits
   + gerrit statistics
     committer   open,    reviews,       merged,     abandoned
       1 year     77(-3),  17560(-9451),  8054(153),  651(4),  
       3 month    77(-3),   4328(-2498),  2029(118),  132(5),  
       1 month    73(-4),   1445(-850),    797(109),   48(-5),  
       1 week     53(-1),   538(-6),       266(105),   10(0),  
     contributor open,   reviews,      merged,    abandoned
       1 year     49(9),  16676(-280),  1209(21),  435(3),  
       3 month    49(9),   4251(76),     330(1),    71(-11),  
       1 month    49(9),   1717(224),    106(22),   17(4),  
       1 week     35(20),   724(331),     41(31),    7(2),  
   + git statistics:
                    1 year,        3 month,       1 month,      1 week
     committer     46794(30548)   11100(7787)    4921(3592)    577(189)
     contributor    5527(1311)     1280(217)      428(87)       97(24)
   + easyHack statistics:
         needsDevEval, needsUXEval, cleanup_comments, total,     assigned,  open
           29(-1)        4(0)        209(-4)           252(-4)     14(0)      206(-1)
   + top 5 contributors:
         Gabor Kelemen made 72 patches in 1 month, and 90 patches in 1 year
         Zdenek Crhonek made 31 patches in 1 month, and 272 patches in 1 year
         Francisco Adrián Sánchez made 17 patches in 1 month, and 17 patches in 1 year
         Aleksander Machniak made 12 patches in 1 month, and 12 patches in 1 year
         Andrea Gelmini made 11 patches in 1 month, and 45 patches in 1 year
 
   + top 9 reviewers:
         jan iversen made 189 review comments in 1 month, and 1533 in 1 year
         Eike Rathke made 174 review comments in 1 month, and 1262 in 1 year
         Noel Grandin made 150 review comments in 1 month, and 1159 in 1 year
         Markus Mohrhard made 148 review comments in 1 month, and 1539 in 1 year
         Miklos Vajna made 91 review comments in 1 month, and 1314 in 1 year
         Caolán McNamara made 87 review comments in 1 month, and 1464 in 1 year
         Michael Stahl made 86 review comments in 1 month, and 1276 in 1 year
         Andras Timar made 80 review comments in 1 month, and 322 in 1 year
         Stephan Bergmann made 57 review comments in 1 month, and 750 in 1 year
 
  + corrected esc-mentoring with ESC suggestions,
    thanks to Miklos for pointing at the obvious
  + Working to make 5.2 (and master) compile and work with OS-X Sierra
    and update build instructions
  + Busy helping new contributors after the development community week
  + Longer discussions on Easyhack tickets and how to act, when work is
    done or in progress
     + Remark we do not have a similar problem on Gerrit (which I do not understand)
  + A "survey" among new contributors shows that:
     + the biggest deficit is the lack of a development IDE
         + clearly the top request.
         + vi/emacs/make are for old people (includes me)
     + gdb is next to impossible to use
     + opengrok is super
  + would help to make gbuild -> IDE more complete for Visual Studio
     + how many windows developers ? (Michael) (talked to 5)
        + 2 only windows, 3 Linux + Windows.
        + like to edit on Windows.
        + would love a larger sample (Michael)
     + (Bjoern: ongoing, but Windows is such a PITA ...)
  + Contributors and licenses, since I do the "welcome" mail,
    should I expand esc-mentoring to watch out for missing licenses ?
     + is it good to watch for non-licensed submission.
AI:     + dig out some tooling for janI (Michael)
  + The new Acknowledgemnt pdf (signed by our chair woman) will be sent to 3 people
  + Got a suggestion to make a page for new committers, advice etc.
  + Can we please close some of the easyhacks convert foo style to xfoo style,
    they cost a lot of time and seems to bring more problems ?
     + Along with cosmetic changes like typos in comments.
     + UNO service constructor changes (Stephan)
   + <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74608>
        + easy ones already covered
    => remove the easy hack flag (Stephan)
 
* Commit Access
 
* Developer Certification (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy/Thorsten)
    + sleeping 8 weeks.
 
* Jenkins / CI update (Norbert)
    from:Thu Oct 13 15:43:55 2016
    master linux rel  jobs: 222 ok: 194 ko:  27 fail ratio: 12.16 % break:   8 broken duration: 8.59%
    master linux dbg  jobs: 161 ok: 149 ko:  12 fail ratio:  7.45 % break:  10 broken duration: 4.27%
    master mac rel    jobs: 153 ok: 152 ko:   1 fail ratio:  0.65 % break:   1 broken duration: 0.48%
    master mac dbg    jobs: 148 ok: 147 ko:   1 fail ratio:  0.68 % break:   1 broken duration: 0.61%
    master win rel    jobs: 126 ok: 122 ko:   4 fail ratio:  3.17 % break:   3 broken duration: 2.67%
    master win dbg    jobs: 120 ok: 118 ko:   2 fail ratio:  1.67 % break:   2 broken duration: 0.66%
    master win64 dbg  jobs: 121 ok: 118 ko:   2 fail ratio:  1.65 % break:   2 broken duration: 0.76%
    lo-5.2 mac        jobs:  15 ok:  15 ko:   0 fail ratio:  0.00 % break:   0 broken duration: 0.00%
    lo-5.1 mac        jobs:   4 ok:   4 ko:   0 fail ratio:  0.00 % break:   0 broken duration: 0.00%
    branch gerrit all jobs:  30 ok:  26 ko:   4 fail ratio:13.33%
    master gerrit lin jobs: 470 ok: 400 ko:  69 fail ratio:14.68%
    master gerrit plg jobs: 470 ok: 330 ko: 139 fail ratio:29.57%
    master gerrit win jobs: 466 ok: 229 ko: 234 fail ratio:50.21%
    master gerrit mac jobs: 465 ok: 419 ko:  45 fail ratio: 9.68%
    master gerrit all jobs: 466 ok: 181 ko: 280 fail ratio:60.09%
     + python failure on windows - reverted already (Miklos)
         + a windows / gbuild-self-test.
         + FWIW, not really a python issue, rather a GNU make jobserver b0rkage on Windows (Bjoern)
         + (also: a Heisenbug)
 
* l10n (Sophie)
    + lots of updates on pootle.
    + working on a new set of embedded templates to make them localisable
    + want a good preview of templates
    + ideal if we don't duplicate the file lots of times (Michael)
    + suggestion to do localisation free templates with Latin (Heiko)
 
* QA update (Xisco)
 
    + Bug Hunting Session 5.3.0 Alpha1 -> Tomorrow October 21
      https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugHuntingSession/5.3.0Alpha
 
    + New wiki page created for regressions:
        https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Regression_categories
 
    + Meta-bug GTK3 created one week ago.
      Almost all bugs are already fixed:
        https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=103182&hide_resolved=0
          nice work done by Caolán
 
    + UNCONFIRMED: 561 (-30)
        + enhancements: 45 (+5)
        + needsUXEval: 4 (+4)
        + haveBackTrace: 18 (-1)
        + needsDevAdvice at 36 (0)
 
    + Most Pressing Bugs: http://tdf.io/mostressingbugs
        + Calc crashes adding text to a chart:
                + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103178
        + Chart sidebar properties no longer functional
                + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101402
        + tdf#94225 - Writer crashes on undo
                + a very old logic bug - inherited from OpenOffice
                => ancient, remove for next time.
        + tdf#100994 - Color-space / display issue on OSX Sierra
                + sounds very much like a core Apple memory corruption.
                        + affects many other apps too.
                + Recompiling with current SDK/Xcode should fix it
                  https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100994#c75 ?
                       + My Mac tinderbox on Sierra (Cloph)
                           + can test from Mac/TDF tinderbox to see if that fixes.
                             + Sierra with XCode 8 (Build version 8A218a)
               + Tor intrigued - may poke at it.
               + exception handling a pain here (Norbert)
 
    + Mail merge regressions: http://tdf.io/mmregressions
        + 3 open; 2 open last meeting
 
* QA stats
 
  + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html
    +181    -163        (+18 overall)
    many thanks to the top bug squashers:
        Xisco Faulí           24
        Yousuf Philips (jay)  22
        Caolán McNamara       16
        Regina Henschel       13
        Buovjaga              10
        Winfried Donkers       7
        Timur                  5
        Cor Nouws              4
        Maxim Monastirsky      4
        Gabor Kelemen          4
        Aron Budea             4
        Eike Rathke            4
        Markus Mohrhard        3
        jan iversen            3
        Heiko Tietze           3
 
* Highest-Priority bugs (aka "MABs"):
        5.2: 2/19   - 10%
        5.1: 2/30   -  6%
        5.0: 6/56   - 10%
        4.4: 7/74   -  9%
        4.3: 4/69   -  5%
        4.2: 6/132  -  4%
        4.1: 4/79   -  5%
        4.0: 7/82   -  8%
        old: 31/247 - 12%
 
        + http://bit.ly/2dp3mwC
 
* Bisected bugs open: keyword 'bisected'
    + more accurate - down to a single commit.
        + can we add this stat generation to esc-commit-stats.pl ?
Xisco: I'll do it
    + 245/891 251/886
       + http://bit.ly/2dyIfDy
 
* Bibisected bugs open: keyword 'bibisected'
    + 345/1516 346/1503 337/1477 349/1463 349/1445 347/1431 338/1407
        + http://bit.ly/2cSCXlS
 
* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
    + 649(+2) bugs open of 5261(+20) total 9(+1) high prio.
 
        * ~Component   count net * high severity regressions
                  Calc -  4 (+0)
           LibreOffice -  2 (+0)
                 Chart -  1 (+1)
               Impress -  1 (+0)
                  Base -  1 (+0)
                + http://bit.ly/1HWHb3E
 
        * ~Component   count net * all regressions
          Writer: other - 119 (-2)
                   Calc - 111 (-4)
                Impress - 51 (+2)
           Writer: docx - 47 (+1)
         graphics stack - 40 (+0)
            LibreOffice - 39 (+1)
                     UI - 37 (-1)
                   Base - 29 (+0)
                   Draw - 28 (+0)
            Writer: doc - 27 (+0)
                Crashes - 26 (+1)
                Borders - 26 (+0)
       filter / storage - 17 (+1)
     print / PDF export - 14 (+1)
                  Chart - 15 (+1)
           Writer: perf - 10 (-2)
                  BASIC - 10 (+0)
         Writer: filter -  8 (+0)
         Formula Editor -  3 (+0)
              framework -  3 (+0)
             Extensions -  3 (+0)
                    sdk -  1 (+0)
                + http://bit.ly/1BUdI8i


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted