minutes of ESC call ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Michael Meeks-5 Michael Meeks-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

minutes of ESC call ...

* Present:
         + Stephan, Sophie, Andras, Caolan, JanI, Olivier, Michael M, Eike,
           Christian, Miklos, Robinson, Jan-Marek, Bjoern, Norbert, Michael S,
           Xisco, Bubli
 
* Completed Action Items:
    + dig out tooling on license verification for JanI (Michael)
         [ Script now controls last month gerrit patches daily against list of licenses
             Primary result 140 emails without license
             Checked names against Wiki Developers
             Result 42 emails, where I cannot find the licese, will email those (JanI )
           Can you run it for say the last 2 years ? (Michael)
             Need to have private legal@ pieces included ]
             yes just setting a different deltatime, private legal@ can be added
             without problems, if I know the email (janI)
    + get a small UX tweak code-change committed (Heiko)
       [ this was already 2016-10-06, see core_b15fef02c9311e0c160906769abbf96a96e56c73 (jani) ]
    + bisected keyword added to esc-commit-stats.pl (Xisco)
    + Jitsi - send some instructions out for next time (Michael)
        [ not done, requires telephone bridge setup etc.
          Tried to create a Google G-suite account - failed horribly
           - costs 2x+ what was advertised, forces domain-name registration.
          We have a Jitsi server - but no phone bridge. ]
    + align release dates and issues, patch merging (Caolan, Cloph)
        [ narrowed down to mid January now, no impact on us. ]
    + Ask beta-co-working for a couple of days before FOSDEM (Sophie)
        [ Betacowork available on 6-7 February - after FOSDEM, but not before.
          Prefer before, but not enough to do anything (Eike).
          AI: will book later today (Sophie); Friday is too busy. ]
 
* Pending Action Items:
    + poke at MSDN licenses (Michael)
        [ update - an ongoing issue here. ]
 
* Release Engineering update (Cloph)
    + 5.1.6 - end of line: any retrospectives ?
        + announced as final today
        + too early for a retrospective yet.
    + 5.2.3 RC2 status (janI)
        + on servers right now.
        + uploaded and announced for testing today
        + messup in Slovenian / sl translation (overridden by accident)
            + need to do an RC3 just to fix this.
        + an RC3 is prolly easier to manage on the mirrors.
        + much appreciated (Sophie)
        + need to figure out what needs to be undone / reverted etc.
        + expect tag today/tomorrow.
    + 5.3.0 alpha 1
        + announced for testing - available from mirrors.
        + build issue when signing them on Windows
        + a race - signing when file are still in-use
            + had to re-run make
        + need to isolate the root cause.
        + has the onedrive keys - but they don't work anymore.
            + apparently onedrive changed the API; needs investigating.
    + 5.3.0 Beta1 & branch - Nov 21st
    + Android & iOS Remote (Cloph)
        + finished building Android remotes, did review of pending patches.
        + same for Android viewer, will publish to beta channel & await feedback.
        + looking into the F-droid thing too.
 
* Documentation (Olivier)
    * New contributors Dr. Geepan on Help contents
       + (NET)WORKDAYS.INTL functions
          + Contents by Dr. Geepan
          + Help page creation by Olivier
       + More to come
    * Progress in new help system (with browser) by Fabio Biocchetti
       + First patch in gerrit
          + Creation of a micro xhp-page server in javascript
          + Support from Olivier and Eike
    * New author for LibeOffice books, updating Getting Started (Dave Koelmeyer)
          + revised by Olivier
          + Proofread by Hazel Hussman
 
* UX Update (Heiko)
  + Total num. of needsUXEval 470 (-2)
    + Base                      1
    + Calc                     35 (+1)
    + Draw                     65
    + Extensions                0
    + filters and storage       1
    + framework                 1
    + Impress                  24
    + Installation              0
    + LibreOffice             248 (-2)
    + Localization              0
    + Printing and PDF export   2 (+1)
    + UI                       16
    + Writer                   77
  + Silent week, organization with meta tickets ongoing
    http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Better-organization-of-bugs-with-meta-bugs-tp4198286.html
  + New more welcoming landing page at the wiki; next step is to update subsidiary sites
      + only one easy-hack with skill design currently.
  + how to get feedback ?
      + reddit - ranting; positive feedback on facebook.
  + font-management: more discussion of details.
  + Q: How to build & communicate statistics?
      + Xisco - has a nice script to parse JSON bugzilla dumps
      + can Usability re-use this script and run on VM 174 ?
      + discussed with Jan this week: no clear decision.
      + running it locally currently (Xisco)
          + what do you want to track ?
          + if only for needs-ux-advise - can use BZ queries.
      + can't follow changes in the status: keyword replacement eg.
      + eg. download big file via webservice
      + will send a weekly report (Xisco)
          + can see the changes done in needs ux-advice.
      + goals ?
          + better numbers for ESC meeting.
          + +10 and -10 -> looks like nothing happened.
          + so report will be useful (Xisco)
          + want to know what team did over the whole year.
      + AI: provide ssh key for access to vm174 (Heiko)
         + Access configured (janI)
      + AI: tweak the script into some form (Heiko)
      + re-visit next week -> how to put it into the wiki.
 
* Crashtest update (Caolan)
    + 1 import failure, 3 export failures
        + fairly stable, spike last-week due to some text bits in VCL
            + under control again.
    + 48 coverity.
        + up temporarily - due to exception specifications.
 
* VCL resources (Caolan)
    + finally removed the last windows & dialog bits for 5.3
        + a few places widgets were described - not top-level dialogs
        + just portions of things.
            + eg. conditional formatting dialog
    + now resource compiler does strings, string-lists, and a few other bits.
    + culmination of years of work.
 
* Bitmap fonts on Windows (Michael)
    + no good physical font API on Windows
       + DirectWrite provides one.
       + doesn't work with Bitmap Fonts.
    + Office 2013 dropped bitmap / Type1 fonts and more long ago.
    + Biting us with Harfbuzz in some cases.
    + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103514
    + an issue for the WinXP support (Cloph)
       + Harfbuzz doesn't support that.
         (and will not support Type1 fonts)
       + 5.3 will be the last with current rendering
       + see no point in also support bitmap fonts in 5.4
       + thought Khaled pushed a patch to make it work on WinXP (Caolan)
           + but happy to loose bitmap fonts.
       + we get a fallback font anyway (Michael)
    => abandoning bitmap / Type 1 fonts etc. if not DirectWrite supported in future.
 
* Hackfests (Bjoern)
    + next venues / suggestions
    + FOSDEM - confirmed dev-room (Michael)
        + collect talks nearer the event.
    + Ladies-only event in Berlin, 29th October (Bubli)
        + "Ladies who FOSS" (https://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS)
        + Bubli will be there, talk was accepted, Heiko present too.
        + now included into the list of projects: https://wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS/Projects
        + built a list of non-code easy-hacks; eg. palette issue.
    + 33c3 CfP open: https://events.ccc.de/2016/09/01/call-for-participation-33rd-chaos-communication-congress-en/ (Bjoern)
        + FSFE will be there, we can meet up with them.
        + opportunity to do workshops there
        + poke Bjoern if you want to show up.
    + Hackfest Granada (Xisco/janI)
        + had meeting with UNI, postponed until Q1 2017 (JanI)
        + Got in contact with the University's Open Source Office ( Xisco )
           + They proposed an event at the Open Document Day (march 2017)
           + Anyway, I'll try to meet them in order to organize something before end of year
    + Hackfest Turin, Italy (janI)
        + LibreItalia conference is saturday 5th November
          In the afternoon, there will be a presentation for developers followed by a hackfest.
          Invited by LibreItalia
           + According to Marina, 25 people will participate
 
* Mentoring / easyhack update (janI)
   + legend: contributors are not-yet-committers, numbers in () are +/- compared to last week
   + openhub statistics based on analysis from 2016-09-28
             totals:   1573(0) people did 440976(0) commits in 8110794(0) lines of code
             12 month:  282(0) people did  16464(0) commits
   + gerrit/git statistics
     committer   open,    reviews,      merged,     abandoned,  git_commits
      1year       77(0)    17504(-56)    8090(36)    643(-8)     37156(-9638)  
      3month      77(0)     4057(-271)   1989(-40)   132(0)       8530(-2570)  
      1month      73(0)     1387(-58)     764(-33)    45(-3)      3252(-1669)  
      1week       43(-10)    366(-172)    198(-68)    13(3)        330(-247)  
     contributor open,    reviews,      merged,     abandoned,  git_commits
      1year       45(-4)   16769(93)     1257(48)    436(1)      15006(9479)  
      3month      45(-4)    4191(-60)     368(38)     68(-3)      3736(2456)  
      1month      45(-4)    1712(-5)      144(38)     16(-1)       940(512)  
      1week       21(-14)    449(-275)     20(-21)     5(-2)        85(-12)  
   + easyHack statistics:
      needsDevEval, needsUXEval, cleanup_comments, total,    assigned, open
       18(-11)       2(-2)        192(-17)          235(-17)  14(0)     200(-6)  
   + received patches from 42 emails the last month without licesense statement
   + top 5 contributors:
         Gabor Kelemen made 70 patches in 1 month, and 90 patches in 1 year
         Zdenek Crhonek made 22 patches in 1 month, and 272 patches in 1 year
         Francisco Adrián Sánchez made 17 patches in 1 month, and 17 patches in 1 year
         Aleksander Machniak made 12 patches in 1 month, and 12 patches in 1 year
         Andrea Gelmini made 12 patches in 1 month, and 46 patches in 1 year
   + top 5 reviewers:
         jan iversen made 191 review comments in 1 month, and 1567 in 1 year
         Eike Rathke made 155 review comments in 1 month, and 1247 in 1 year
         Noel Grandin made 127 review comments in 1 month, and 1155 in 1 year
         Markus Mohrhard made 124 review comments in 1 month, and 1526 in 1 year
         Miklos Vajna made 91 review comments in 1 month, and 1314 in 1 year
   + big CONGRATULATIONS to contributors who have at least got 1 patch merged, since last report:
         Filippo giacchè
         Jookia
         Mirco Rondini
         Federico Bassini
         Chandanathil P. Geevan
         Francisco Adrián Sánchez
         Andrea Mussap
         Heiko Tietze
         Jacek Frączek
         Aleksander Machniak
         Fabio Bioccetti
         Dilek Üzülmez
         Sudarshan K
         Ilya Ponamarev
         Jean-Tiare Le Bigot
         Fabio Biocchetti
 
   + Added list of new contributors, to extend a welcome from ESC as well
   + Received a request to do more advanced metrics of contributors, should I spent time on that ?
     Numbers do not tell a lot more than we already know, but can be quite costly to obtain.
      + how many hits on wiki / get-involved page.
      + vs. how many send license statement.
      + most people find Jan and he sends them there
      + new people from blogs, leads etc.
      + major problem is keeping people after their 2nd / 3rd patch.
      + can we find out how many clones of git repo / week ? (JanI)
          + unclear if we can see clones (Norbert)
          + AI: perhaps can find-out, multiple mirrors (Norbert)
              + some instructions use freedesktop, some gerrit (Eike)
          + if autogen is too complicated - in for a shock when seeing the code (Norbert)
          + Linux instructions point to freedesktop (Miklos)
      + on the back-burner for now (JanI)
   + Working on 2 presentations (for Turin and later a blog post)
      + How can (nearly) anybody help make LibreOffice even better than it already is
      + Walk through of development tools, and when to use them
   + Multiple discussion (again) on easyHack and why not to have negative comments
     new incident: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101442#c29
     "The whole rationale behind this change is ridiculous." same as "contributor, the work you did is ridiculous"
     + this issue carries on giving.
     + encouraging people to be kind (Heiko)
         + wording on our bug-tracker is already more positive than others.
     + keep highlighting these
 
* Commit Access
 
* Developer Certification (Stephan/Bjoern/Kendy/Thorsten)
    + sleeping 7 weeks.
 
* Jenkins / CI update (Norbert)
    from:Thu Oct 20 15:42:26 2016
    master linux rel  jobs: 181 ok: 177 ko:   4 fail ratio:  2.21 % break:   2 broken duration: 0.25%
    master linux dbg  jobs: 147 ok: 138 ko:   9 fail ratio:  6.12 % break:   8 broken duration: 5.73%
    master mac rel    jobs: 144 ok: 133 ko:  11 fail ratio:  7.64 % break:   3 broken duration: 2.36%
    master mac dbg    jobs: 155 ok: 146 ko:   9 fail ratio:  5.81 % break:   1 broken duration: 2.07%
    master win rel    jobs: 129 ok: 126 ko:   3 fail ratio:  2.33 % break:   1 broken duration: 1.31%
    master win dbg    jobs: 125 ok: 122 ko:   3 fail ratio:  2.40 % break:   1 broken duration: 1.22%
    master win64 dbg  jobs: 127 ok: 120 ko:   7 fail ratio:  5.51 % break:   4 broken duration: 3.38%
    lo-5.2 mac        jobs:  11 ok:  11 ko:   0 fail ratio:  0.00 % break:   0 broken duration: 0.00%
    lo-5.1 mac        jobs:   0 ok:   0 ko:   0 fail ratio:  0.00 % break:   0 broken duration: 0.00%
    branch gerrit all jobs:  28 ok:  27 ko:   1 fail ratio: 3.57%
    master gerrit lin jobs: 299 ok: 259 ko:  40 fail ratio:13.38%
    master gerrit plg jobs: 297 ok: 227 ko:  69 fail ratio:23.23%
    master gerrit win jobs: 297 ok: 177 ko: 118 fail ratio:39.73%
    master gerrit mac jobs: 292 ok: 254 ko:  37 fail ratio:12.67%
    master gerrit all jobs: 295 ok: 135 ko: 156 fail ratio:52.88%
       + numbers good for master; all sub 2.5% except Linux debug.
       + gerrit higher than normal; failures on different platforms overall.
       + some breakage with gbuildtoide (Bjoern)
           + not completely reproducible
           + can't reproduce it locally, even on CI - only on some.
           + fails sometiems python copying one directory to another.
           + calling cygwin from python - sometimes fails.
       + can we add a make -d to get bigger logs ? (Michael)
           + trying from python -> shell-utils tonight (Bjoern)
           + feel free to disable 'PythonTest_solenv_python' if it fails.
       + perhaps use the convoluted indirect build system from slaves (Norbert)
           + already using lode (Bjoern)
           + but a tb-slave-server / etc. listen to port etc. (Norbert)
               + couple of other layers of oddness.
               + oddly quoted output can be the same (Bjoern)
 
* Screen flashing during build (Michael)
    + is that expected ?
    + screenshotting stuff (Jmux)
    + happens since screenshot feature was integrated (Miklos)
        + gave it a short debugging attempt.
        + the VCL_HIDE_WINDOWS is properly set; not something obvious.
    + didn't find another way yet to do it hidden on Bubli.
    + it's an EMF+ test in the cppcanvas module - why is the env. not respected.
 
* l10n (Sophie)
    + work ongoing.
 
* New VCL scheduler (JMux)
    + now happy with it, changes a lot of stuff in VCL.
    + replaces vcl scheduler with something more normal.
        + no special handling of idles
        + primary idea - everything is now scheduled by priority
            + default idles are now 2nd lowest priority.
    + it fixes mail-merge for JMux
    + everything >300 documents, crawls libreoffice
    + with this - mail-merge runs fine leaving LibreOffice usable.
    + scheduler is assumed thread-safe by AutoRecovery & Base (Michael)
        + neither impl. was ever multi-threaded safe (Jmux)
    + where is the branch ?
        + feature/new-vcl-scheduler
        + tested on Linux, Windows
        + pushed to Gerrit multiple times - all build succeeded, except Windows Java unit test
            + every time a different Java test fails on Windows
    + will take a look at the backlog of issues (JMux)
        + now scheduling is more understandable
AI: + create a meta-bug for idle handling issues (Michael)
 
* Bug hunting update (Xisco)
    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugHuntingSession/5.3.0Alpha
    + Stats from OCtober 21th: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Libreoffice-qa-Libreoffice-5-3-alpha1-BHS-stats-tt4197895.html
       + 4/5 new people showed up in IRC.
    + lots of verifying the results of bugs.
    + Next one for LibreOffice 5.3.0 beta1
 
* QA update (Xisco)
 
   + New page for stats created: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Stats
 
   + QA Weekly Report
      + http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Libreoffice-qa-QA-Weekly-Report-W42-2016-tc4198070.html
      + Could be useful to send it to the dev list too ?
          + concern it gets sent to people twice (JanI)
      + could we put data into BI thing to filter on the fly ? (Heiko)
          + bitergia - hopefully should help here (Bjoern)
            http://vm167.documentfoundation.org/ demo/eval setup
      + expensive building BI frontends (Michael)
      => send it for now, re-visit later if it annoys people.
 
    + UNCONFIRMED: 577 (+16)
        + enhancements: 46 (+1)
        + needsUXEval: 5 (+1)
        + haveBackTrace: 17 (-1)
        + needsDevAdvice at 38 (+2)
 
    + Most Pressing Bugs: http://tdf.io/mostressingbugs
        + Calc crashes adding text to a chart:
                + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103178
                [ fixed: thanks to Maxim ]
        + Chart sidebar properties no longer functional
                + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101402
                + likely a duplicate of tdf#100180, fixed by Bubli
+ Better now, should be removed from here.
                + New comment by moggi: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101402#c13
        + tdf#100994 - Color-space / display issue on OSX Sierra
                [ thanks to Tor for poking - Apple issue; NOTOURBUG after next Sierra release ]
        + tdf#102503 - FILESAVE: Impress sporadically hangs at end of save operation
                 + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102503
                   Could someone look at the logs attached?
 
    + Mail merge regressions: http://tdf.io/mmregressions
        + 4 open; 3 open last meeting
 
* QA stats
 
  + https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/page.cgi?id=weekly-bug-summary.html
    +188    -135        (+53 overall)
    many thanks to the top bug squashers:
        Yousuf Philips (jay)  18
        Buovjaga              11
        Xisco Faulí            8
        Julien Nabet           6
        Maxim Monastirsky      6
        Regina Henschel        6
        Joel Madero            6
        Eike Rathke            5
        Cor Nouws              5
        V Stuart Foote         4
        Caolán McNamara        3
        Khaled Hosny           3
        Alex Thurgood          3
        Kevin Suo              3
        m.a.riosv              2
 
* Highest-Priority bugs (aka "MABs"):
        5.2: 1/19   -  5%
        5.1: 2/30   -  6%
        5.0: 6/57   - 10%
        4.4: 7/74   -  9%
        4.3: 4/69   -  5%
        4.2: 6/132  -  4%
        4.1: 4/79   -  5%
        4.0: 7/82   -  8%
        old: 31/247 - 12%
 
        + http://bit.ly/2dp3mwC
 
* Bisected bugs open: keyword 'bisected'
    + more accurate - down to a single commit.
    + 259/988 245/891 251/886
       + http://bit.ly/2dyIfDy
 
* Bibisected bugs open: keyword 'bibisected'
    + 351/1530 345/1516 346/1503 337/1477 349/1463 349/1445 347/1431
        + http://bit.ly/2cSCXlS
 
* all bugs tagged with 'regression'
    + 660(+11) bugs open of 5289(+28) total 6(-3) high prio.
 
        * ~Component   count net * high severity regressions
           LibreOffice -  2 (+0)
                  Calc -  2 (-2)
               Impress -  1 (+0)
                  Base -  1 (+0)
                 Chart -  0 (-1)
                + http://bit.ly/1HWHb3E
 
        * ~Component   count net * all regressions
          Writer: other - 120 (+1)
                   Calc - 108 (-3)
                Impress - 59 (+8)
           Writer: docx - 46 (-1)
            LibreOffice - 44 (+5)
         graphics stack - 41 (+1)
                     UI - 37 (+0)
                   Base - 31 (+2)
                   Draw - 28 (+0)
            Writer: doc - 26 (-1)
                Borders - 25 (-1)
                Crashes - 24 (-2)
       filter / storage - 17 (+0)
     print / PDF export - 15 (+1)
                  Chart - 14 (-1)
                  BASIC - 10 (+0)
           Writer: perf -  9 (-1)
         Writer: filter -  8 (+0)
         Formula Editor -  3 (+0)
              framework -  3 (+0)
             Extensions -  3 (+0)
                    sdk -  1 (+0)
                + http://bit.ly/1BUdI8i

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/projects/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted