minutes of ESC call ...

David Ostrovsky-3 David Ostrovsky-3

minutes of ESC call ...

On Thu Jan 26 15:49:52 UTC 2017, Michael Meeks wrote:

[...]
>* Gerrit feedback for David (Michael)
>    + going to the gerrit conf. on our behalf.

Thanks!

>    + annoying behavior – automatic lost of comments when not logged
in (Miklos)
>        + if reply needs re-login, comment is lost.

Yes. This is very annoying. I think the problem still exists even on
master. What could help, is increasing the session expiration timeout
in gerrit configuration:

cache.web_sessions.maxAge 1 week

(default is 12 hours)

And also increase the cache size limit:

cache.web_sessions.memoryLimit 4096

(default is 1024)

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-gerrit.html

>    + love a queue that auto-merged when CI succeeds (Michael)

The missing bits for that feature were finalized and merged during
recent Gerrit hackathon and will be included in the upcoming release
2.14. ETA is June 2017.

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/79760/

>    + one button migration of github pull requests ? (Bjoern)

There is a plugin for that: guthub-plugin from Luca Milanesio. I looked
into it years ago and it was very impressive, one button click and PR
was imported into gerrit as change for review.

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/admin/projects/plugins/github

I have another topic, updating our gerrit instance to 2.13.5,
from 2.11.8. There are a lot of improvements. For example submodule
subscriptions seems to work very reliably, so you never need to update
the reference to submodule again manually, after it was updated. Gerrit
does it for you, e.g. this commit upstream:

https://github.com/GerritCodeReview/gerrit/commit/c3c271b892a54f3e93346
d6de713a0c18b229940

It would be also cool, if you could look into new and shiny gerrit UI,
based on JavaScript Polymer framework, and provide feedback. You can
see the new UI in action upstream by switching in footer to new UI.
Only change screen is implemented for now. All diffs on one page is
already implemented:

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/

Jan-Marek Glogowski Jan-Marek Glogowski

Re: minutes of ESC call ...

Am 27.01.2017 um 07:07 schrieb David Ostrovsky:
> It would be also cool, if you could look into new and shiny gerrit UI,
> based on JavaScript Polymer framework, and provide feedback. You can
> see the new UI in action upstream by switching in footer to new UI.
> Only change screen is implemented for now. All diffs on one page is
> already implemented:
>
> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/

Generally I like the new UI - if just for the - per file expandable -
inline diff :-) But switching the "info" and "commit message" frames
produces a lot of unused / white area on the right, and uses more
precious vertical space.
Especially since the left "info" frame doesn't expand much horizontally,
so can't / won't display multiple reviewers in one row, but instead the
commit message expands, which almost ever has a fixed maximum width.

I first had a look at

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/95455/?polygerrit=1

but it's probably event better to see, if you check

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/94813/?polygerrit=1

Now there is some of the white space used by the relation chain.
Just decrease the browser horizontally.

To save some vertical space it would also help to merge Reviewers,
Code-Review and Verified into a table, so this won't duplicate name
lists, like:

Reviewer | Verified | Code
Me       |   +1     |  +1
You      |          |  -1

Michael Meeks-5 Michael Meeks-5

Re: minutes of ESC call ...

Hi David,

On 27/01/17 06:07, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Thu Jan 26 15:49:52 UTC 2017, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>    + love a queue that auto-merged when CI succeeds (Michael)
>
> The missing bits for that feature were finalized and merged during
> recent Gerrit hackathon and will be included in the upcoming release
> 2.14. ETA is June 2017.
>
> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/79760/

        Awesome =)

> I have another topic, updating our gerrit instance to 2.13.5,
> from 2.11.8. There are a lot of improvements.

        Sounds like we should discuss that at FOSDEM =)

        Thanks !

                Michael.

--
[hidden email] <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
sberg sberg

Gerrit wish list (was: minutes of ESC call ...)

On 01/27/2017 07:07 AM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Thu Jan 26 15:49:52 UTC 2017, Michael Meeks wrote:
>
> [...]
>> * Gerrit feedback for David (Michael)
>>    + going to the gerrit conf. on our behalf.

That reminds me of another thing I'm occasionally missing with Gerrit:
URLs for individual comments to a change.

For example, the mail
<https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2017-February/076802.html>
"Re: What is the best way to pass a flag from a unit test?" contains

> (That may be a better option compared to the one in the comment of
> <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/33775>.)

But which of the (six, for now) items in that Gerrit change's "History"
section is meant?  Would be more useful if there were URLs like
<<a href="https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/33775#comment6">https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/33775#comment6>.

Christian Lohmaier-3 Christian Lohmaier-3

Re: Gerrit wish list (was: minutes of ESC call ...)

Hi David, *,

(hijacking sberg's post for the easier to remember subject :-))
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/27/2017 07:07 AM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
>> On Thu Jan 26 15:49:52 UTC 2017, Michael Meeks wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> * Gerrit feedback for David (Michael)
>>>    + going to the gerrit conf. on our behalf.

Wondering whethere allowing images in comments might be useful.
(before and after screenshots, mockups/for chagne-requests) - there'd
be some overlap with bugzilla (but not every change starts with a
bug/has a bug, and also getting the timeline correct is manual effort
;-)

ciao
Christian
Michael Stahl-2 Michael Stahl-2

Re: Gerrit wish list

On 08.02.2017 14:19, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi David, *,
>
> (hijacking sberg's post for the easier to remember subject :-))
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Stephan Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 01/27/2017 07:07 AM, David Ostrovsky wrote:
>>> On Thu Jan 26 15:49:52 UTC 2017, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>> [...]
>
> Wondering whethere allowing images in comments might be useful.
> (before and after screenshots, mockups/for chagne-requests) - there'd
> be some overlap with bugzilla (but not every change starts with a
> bug/has a bug, and also getting the timeline correct is manual effort
> ;-)

if you add an image feature then please don't ship it without an
auto-detection of the most popular animated meme gifs that immediately
disables the offending user account.