multiple file import

nabbler nabbler

multiple file import

Readers,

Is there a way to import multiple files into a new document? The
existing function only allows multiples files to be imported
successively, which is inefficient. If a directory contains

file1
file2
file3

it would be beneficial to be able to select all files in the import
dialogue window for automatic successive import into the new document.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: multiple file import

At 19:13 18/12/2013 +0000, Nobody Noname wrote:
>Is there a way to import multiple files into a new document? The
>existing function only allows multiples files to be imported
>successively, which is inefficient. If a directory contains
>file1
>file2
>file3
>it would be beneficial to be able to select all files in the import
>dialogue window for automatic successive import into the new document.

One obvious problem would be the necessity to indicate the order in
which multiple files should be incorporated.  It would be easy if you
had files with carefully organised names, but in general you wouldn't
have that.  In any case, would file10 become positioned after file9
or between file1 and file2?  Would that apply in all operating systems?

If you needed either to list the files in the order in which you
wanted them incorporated, or else to readjust everything after
assembly, you would be better off (and achieve a more reliable
result) by simply importing one at a time.

Brian Barker

TomD TomD

Re: multiple file import

I've not tried this either but in a similar case i often find it's
more efficient to drag the last one in first and then it's easier to
drag in  earlier and earlier ones into the same place each time
without having to scroll through

On 18 December 2013 20:32, Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 19:13 18/12/2013 +0000, Nobody Noname wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to import multiple files into a new document? The existing
>> function only allows multiples files to be imported successively, which is
>> inefficient. If a directory contains
>> file1
>> file2
>> file3
>> it would be beneficial to be able to select all files in the import
>> dialogue window for automatic successive import into the new document.
>

> One obvious problem would be the necessity to indicate the order in which
> multiple files should be incorporated.  It would be easy if you had files
> with carefully organised names, but in general you wouldn't have that.  In
> any case, would file10 become positioned after file9 or between file1 and
> file2?  Would that apply in all operating systems?
>
> If you needed either to list the files in the order in which you wanted them
> incorporated, or else to readjust everything after assembly, you would be
> better off (and achieve a more reliable result) by simply importing one at a
> time.
>
> Brian Barker

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: multiple file import

I would love this feature, but with one thing added.
Imported files would automatically take the name of the original files.
     Offending characters would be stripped or substituted.
     Duplicate file names would have an increment adder.

On 12/18/2013 3:32 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 19:13 18/12/2013 +0000, Nobody Noname wrote:
>> Is there a way to import multiple files into a new document? The
>> existing function only allows multiples files to be imported
>> successively, which is inefficient. If a directory contains
>> file1
>> file2
>> file3
>> it would be beneficial to be able to select all files in the import
>> dialogue window for automatic successive import into the new document.
>
> One obvious problem would be the necessity to indicate the order in
> which multiple files should be incorporated.  It would be easy if you
> had files with carefully organised names, but in general you wouldn't
> have that.  In any case, would file10 become positioned after file9 or
> between file1 and file2?  Would that apply in all operating systems?
>
> If you needed either to list the files in the order in which you
> wanted them incorporated, or else to readjust everything after
> assembly, you would be better off (and achieve a more reliable result)
> by simply importing one at a time.
>
> Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: multiple file import

At 09:26 19/12/2013 -0500, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:

>At 19:13 18/12/2013 +0000, Nobody Noname wrote:
>>Is there a way to import multiple files into a new document? The
>>existing function only allows multiples files to be imported
>>successively, which is inefficient. If a directory contains
>>file1
>>file2
>>file3
>>it would be beneficial to be able to select all files in the import
>>dialogue window for automatic successive import into the new document.
>
>I would love this feature, but with one thing added.  Imported files
>would automatically take the name of the original files.

We must be at cross-purposes here!  The original request is for
multiple files to be imported into a fresh, single file.  There would
be no plurality of files to take on a plurality of names: just a
single name for the single file made up of the contents of the many
component files.  You'd name the composite file when you saved it -
and you'd very likely put it in the same folder, so you wouldn't want
it to have the same name as any of its components.

>Offending characters would be stripped or substituted.

Since the component files already exist, they can have no "offending
characters" - either within their text or in their file names.

>Duplicate file names would have an increment adder.

You cannot have duplicate file names in the single source directory
of course - unless you are extending the idea to importing, say, a
combination of .odt and .doc files into one document in one process!

Brian Barker

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: multiple file import

I see what you say.

I had Calc in mind and pre-defined Tab names and not Writer.

Although Writer might follow similar logic with a Sections Import
function in a Document

Imported Sections would automatically take the name of the original files.
Offending characters would be stripped or substituted.
     Duplicate file names would have an increment adder. (this checks
existing Section Names before allowing Import File Name and modifies if
it already         exists. Don't really care what the incoming file name
is, just don't duplicate it as a Section Name)
         It would need check box for Keep-as-linked --- unchecked =
import file --- checked = link to original file.

On 12/19/2013 11:05 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 09:26 19/12/2013 -0500, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
>> At 19:13 18/12/2013 +0000, Nobody Noname wrote:
>>> Is there a way to import multiple files into a new document? The
>>> existing function only allows multiples files to be imported
>>> successively, which is inefficient. If a directory contains
>>> file1
>>> file2