name for the mailing list archives

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

name for the mailing list archives

Hi,

as you all may know, we have to move the mailing list archives away from
www/iso.libreoffice.org/lists to some other host, in order to not
intervene with the CMS installation.

So, right now, I'm looking for a good new name to use. :-)
lists.documentfoundation.org is already taken by the internal Mailman
instance.

I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later on
for software archives. I also have listarchives.tdf in mind, which is a
bit long, however.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

Re: name for the mailing list archives

2010.11.23 12:02, Florian Effenberger rašė:
> Hi,
>
> as you all may know, we have to move the mailing list archives away
> from www/iso.libreoffice.org/lists to some other host, in order to not
> intervene with the CMS installation.
>
> So, right now, I'm looking for a good new name to use. :-)
> lists.documentfoundation.org is already taken by the internal Mailman
> instance.

what's that?

> I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later
> on for software archives. I also have listarchives.tdf in mind, which
> is a bit long, however.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions?

lists.lo ?

Rimas

James Wilde-2 James Wilde-2

On Nov 23, 2010, at 11:02 , Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as you all may know, we have to move the mailing list archives away from www/iso.libreoffice.org/lists to some other host, in order to not intervene with the CMS installation.
>
> So, right now, I'm looking for a good new name to use. :-) lists.documentfoundation.org is already taken by the internal Mailman instance.
>
> I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later on for software archives. I also have listarchives.tdf in mind, which is a bit long, however.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions?

forum.documentfoundation.org?

I know the "real" forum (i.e. for users) will be at libreoffice.org, but the nature of the archives can be that they are displayed in the form of a forum, as they are now at LibO.org.  Why not be consistent?

//James

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: name for the mailing list archives

I guess this will be confusing to users

Rimas Kudelis wrote on 2010-11-23 11.06:

>> So, right now, I'm looking for a good new name to use. :-)
>> lists.documentfoundation.org is already taken by the internal Mailman
>> instance.
>
> what's that?

a Mailman setup for internal stuff that we need and cannot move.

>> I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later
>> on for software archives. I also have listarchives.tdf in mind, which
>> is a bit long, however.
>>
>> Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> lists.lo ?

The problem is: the subdomain must be available within libo and tdf
(forgot to mention that). lists.libo would work, but lists.tdf is taken
already...

Florian

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol klaus-jürgen weghorn ol

Am 23.11.2010 11:02, schrieb Florian Effenberger:
> I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later on
> for software archives.
The software is libreoffice then we maybe call the software-archive
archives.libo? If it is so you can call the list-archives archives.tdf.

--
Greetings
k-j

bedipp bedipp

klaus-jürgen weghorn ol schrieb:
> Hi,
> Am 23.11.2010 11:02, schrieb Florian Effenberger:
>> I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later on
>> for software archives.
> The software is libreoffice then we maybe call the software-archive
> archives.libo? If it is so you can call the list-archives archives.tdf.

ml_archives.tdf  or ml.archives.tdf ?

This would allow other archives to be structured similarly:

libo_archives.tdf or libo.archives.tdf
wiki_archives.tdf or wiki.archives.tdf
iso_archives.tdf or iso.archives.tdf

only depending on what we want to be archived (even another software
under the TDF umbrella would be possible: sw-name.archives.tdf)

Best regards

Bernhard

camargo camargo

Re: name for the mailing list archives

Whath about  libolist.doc.org.
Carlos Martinez

Florian Effenberger skrev 2010-11-23 11:02:

> Hi,
>
> as you all may know, we have to move the mailing list archives away
> from www/iso.libreoffice.org/lists to some other host, in order to not
> intervene with the CMS installation.
>
> So, right now, I'm looking for a good new name to use. :-)
> lists.documentfoundation.org is already taken by the internal Mailman
> instance.
>
> I was thinking about archives.tdf, however, we might need that later
> on for software archives. I also have listarchives.tdf in mind, which
> is a bit long, however.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: name for the mailing list archives

Hi Bernhard, Florian, *,

Bernhard Dippold schrieb:

>ml_archives.tdf  or ml.archives.tdf ?

>This would allow other archives to be structured similarly:

>libo_archives.tdf or libo.archives.tdf
>wiki_archives.tdf or wiki.archives.tdf
>iso_archives.tdf or iso.archives.tdf

>only depending on what we want to be archived (even another software
>under the TDF umbrella would be possible: sw-name.archives.tdf)

That's my favorite too. sub.archives.tdf gives the possibility to have a
full featured archives.tdf for detailed browsing the several archives
even if for reason of space located on another/different machine(s).

Btw. There is a simple .htaccess trick to keep /lists on the CMS host.
Only drawback: CMS site "lists" must not exist or won't work if so. I
realized that on http://devel.libreofficebox.org/static/

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

Friedrich Strohmaier wrote on 2010-11-24 20.04:
> That's my favorite too. sub.archives.tdf gives the possibility to have a
> full featured archives.tdf for detailed browsing the several archives
> even if for reason of space located on another/different machine(s).

I'm also in favor of that - the problem is, that then the link will be
too long for the footer. Example:

http://list.archives.documentfoundation.org/de.libreoffice.org/announce/

This looks terribly ugly. :-(

We could also do

http://list.archives.libreoffice.org/de/announce/

but then, how to link the "website" list?

http://list.archives.libreoffice.org/www/website?

I'm still a bit undetermined. :-(

> Btw. There is a simple .htaccess trick to keep /lists on the CMS host.
> Only drawback: CMS site "lists" must not exist or won't work if so. I
> realized that onhttp://devel.libreofficebox.org/static/

Maybe I should indeed look into that, so we could keep the current URLs.
Christian already sent me some nice code snippet. The only drawback then
is that all list archives request would first reach the web server, and
then redirects to the archive+mail server, which means double traffic.

Anyone else has a creative idea?

Florian