new features page ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
123 « Prev
Narayan Aras Narayan Aras
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: New website conf call agenda (was: Re: new features page ...)


Hi Nino!

What you are suggesting is equivalent to an internal review amongst the team-members.

Our aim is to establish the long-term vision, and then derive the short/mid term action-plan to achieve that goal.

Regards,
Narayan


     
--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

bedipp bedipp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New website conf call agenda

Hi Narayan,

Narayan Aras schrieb:
>
> Hi Nino!
>
> What you are suggesting is equivalent to an internal review amongst
> the team-members.

It's just a proposal for an updated agenda that allows to start working
for the final release before the long-term vision has been established.

And as you already stated, the agenda seems not to be realistic for a
single confcall.

So we - the website team - need to find a solution. And I think Nino's
proposal is a good one. Of course we need an internal review - internal
by the website team. If you prefer an alternative approach, please
provide your proposal.

> > Our aim is to establish the long-term vision, and then derive the
> short/mid term action-plan to achieve that goal.

Please define who is "we"?

I can only describe what I personally think: At this very moment the
main task for the website team should be the present website being ready
for our release.

Reading Michaels comment he seems to support this approach, David has
done a tremendous work on this goal. Christian, Ivan and Christoph spent
their time and effort on this task too.

So I think the general approach at the moment seems to support more what
Nino wrote.

The long-term plans have to be discussed in detail - no question.

But this is not the task I (can't speak for the entire team, but what I
read here seems to support my opinion) want to work on *now*.

So the idea of prioritizing the agenda items is reasonable IMHO.

Let's start working - we have discussed way too long without working on
the short-term tasks.

Discussion can and should go on - but let's have the work in the most
important position.

The website team will be evaluated by the *work* it manages to handle.

It's our chance to show the community that we are not a group of
individuals spending our time on discussions, while the work is not done
or left over to just a handful. We want to be a team - let's show the
community that we are one!

Best regards

Bernhard

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: New website conf call agenda (was: Re: new features page ...)

In reply to this post by Narayan Aras
Hi Naryan, hi Nino!

As Bernhard already said, I also think the proposal by Nino to focus on
the very next steps is a very sensible one.


Am Freitag, den 21.01.2011, 16:29 +0530 schrieb Narayan Aras:
> Hi Nino!
>
> What you are suggesting is equivalent to an internal review amongst
> the team-members.
>
> Our aim is to establish the long-term vision, and then derive the
> short/mid term action-plan to achieve that goal.

The long-term vision for the website is important, that's true. But when
looking at one of the decision criteria proposed by project management,
both importance and urgency can be considered. From my point-of-view,
the work on the current website (making it perfect for the release) is
both important and urgent.

What I'd like to bring in is, that the current website / infrastructure
is the "window to the world" so it is required that many people have to
be happy with it. If not, then there are less users, missing external
support, and thus, no need for any long time planning :-)

David, Ivan and Christian still do a tremendous job to make the website
- so I'd like to ask them, if they feel that discussing the current
issues / requests for help will help them. So please speak up (thanks!).

Narayan, one kind request - please keep the essential part of the
message you reply to. This makes it easier to keep track without having
to look at the older messages.

Cheers,
Christoph


Am Freitag, den 21.01.2011, 11:42 +0100 schrieb Nino Novak:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday 21 January 2011 02:23, Michael Wheatland wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Bernhard Dippold
> >
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Please let us keep focused on the work at the moment. When the
> > > present site is in a final state, the team has shown how it works
> > > and Drupal has lost it's "red rag" meaning to some community
> > > members, we can consider all of these possibilities. To keep the
> > > proposals in mind, they should be added to the wiki.
> > >
> > > Does this sound reasonable?
> >
> > I fully agree with your statement. [...]
>
> Then please drop Agenda items 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 and replace them
> by (e.g.)
>
[... Proposals ...]
>
> Thereby you all can show that you are realists and not dreamers.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New website conf call agenda (was: Re: new features page ...)

Hi guys, :-)

It's worth remembering that the confcall is not limited strictly to
one hour. It can end when the participants feel we've talked enough.
If ever we don't cover *everything*, then we'll simply carry on at the
next confcall - because I think we should hold them regularly, in any
case.

I think it's important that everyone should feel free to add the items
to the agenda that they feel need to be discussed, and we'll simply
see how to cover it all.

In any case, the most important thing is that we should all do our
best to be there, and we should all do our best to come with an open
mind. ;-)

But I don't think we need to worry. Personally, I'm certain that we're
going to clear the air and sort a lot of the questions out.

I'm busy preparing a review of the work currently done on the site,
with a list of what I suggest needs to be finished, reviewed,
augmented, etc, so that people can start jumping in and working.

Obviously, we'll also be seeing how the team wants to further develop
the content during the confcall and via a wiki page.

However, I'm very keen to see people actually getting involved in the
work as soon as possible.

So I'll be posting my review in just a few hours, after a little
sleep, and I will be online on IRC and on Skype all weekend.

People without accounts and permissions on the site and who want to
work on the content will be able to get them immediately during the
weekend, and any time from now, and will be welcomed to start working
on the pages ASAP so we get them in good initial state for the 3.3
release. ;-)

I'll be posting further details to the list in a few hours, therefore. ;-)

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Off topic (was: Re: [libreoffice-website] New website conf call agenda (was: Re: new features page ...))

Hi David!

Am Samstag, den 22.01.2011, 02:30 +0800 schrieb David Nelson:
> So I'll be posting my review in just a few hours, after a little
> sleep, and I will be online on IRC and on Skype all weekend.

Thanks! And enjoy your sleep ... it sounds like a hard weekend job :-)

Cheers,
Christoph


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Narayan Aras Narayan Aras
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: New website conf call agenda (was: Re: new features page ...)

In reply to this post by davidnelson

Hi! :)

Looking back at my reply I realized that I could not explain my point fully.

While the agenda at the web conference is for long-term planning, it is NOT a substitute for the short-term planning.
With barely a few days (or even hours) left for the D-day, I only expect furious single-minded activity.

In fact, my original proposal was "people can join after 3.3 is released".
But when this call was planned between David and Mike, I thought maybe there is enough time.

So if the team-members feel that the short-term goal should be dealt with first, naturally I agree.

Just postpone the call till the 3.3 and support system are deal with.

Do I still see some "us vs. them" attitude under the surface? :)


Regards,
Narayan


     
--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New website conf call agenda

In reply to this post by bedipp
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Bernhard Dippold
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Narayan,
>
> Narayan Aras schrieb:
>>
>> Hi Nino!
>>
>> What you are suggesting is equivalent to an internal review amongst
>> the team-members.
>
> It's just a proposal for an updated agenda that allows to start working for
> the final release before the long-term vision has been established.
>
> And as you already stated, the agenda seems not to be realistic for a single
> confcall.
>
> So we - the website team - need to find a solution. And I think Nino's
> proposal is a good one. Of course we need an internal review - internal by
> the website team. If you prefer an alternative approach, please provide your
> proposal.
>
>> > Our aim is to establish the long-term vision, and then derive the
>> short/mid term action-plan to achieve that goal.
>
> Please define who is "we"?
>
> I can only describe what I personally think: At this very moment the main
> task for the website team should be the present website being ready for our
> release.
>
> Reading Michaels comment he seems to support this approach, David has done a
> tremendous work on this goal. Christian, Ivan and Christoph spent their time
> and effort on this task too.
>
> So I think the general approach at the moment seems to support more what
> Nino wrote.
>
> The long-term plans have to be discussed in detail - no question.
>
> But this is not the task I (can't speak for the entire team, but what I read
> here seems to support my opinion) want to work on *now*.
>
> So the idea of prioritizing the agenda items is reasonable IMHO.
>
> Let's start working - we have discussed way too long without working on the
> short-term tasks.
>
> Discussion can and should go on - but let's have the work in the most
> important position.
>
> The website team will be evaluated by the *work* it manages to handle.
>
> It's our chance to show the community that we are not a group of individuals
> spending our time on discussions, while the work is not done or left over to
> just a handful. We want to be a team - let's show the community that we are
> one!
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard


One thing we need to keep in mind, is that we have quite a few
under-utilised resources who have been working on the Drupal project
due to the misunderstanding that the Silverstripe site already had
developers.

I fully support prioritizing the agenda in order to draw focus on the
topics which need attention now, however the other agenda items
will/should be a simple discussion as to whether we should be
exploring the options in the medium term and who should report back on
the items. As it is the first conference call, structuring,
prioritizing and volunteering is going to be the outcome.

In order for everyone to get on board with the team we must have a
clear picture about where we are going and who is able to help with
the required tasks.

Without defining where we wish to end up, I believe we risk continuing
to proceed with development without community coordination and
collaboration as we have seen over the past few months on
Silverstripe.

It -will- be a short conversation which will clear up many of the
concerns about immediate and longer term goals.

Have confidence.

Mike

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Off topic (was: Re: [libreoffice-website] New website conf call agenda (was: Re: new features page ...))

In reply to this post by Christoph Noack
Hi Christoph, :-)

I'm online on IRC now and busy finishing the review... I'll be posting
it in a while. ;-)

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

123 « Prev