[newbie/Calc] How to mix relative/absolute cells in formula?

Gilles Gilles

[newbie/Calc] How to mix relative/absolute cells in formula?

Hello,

Another newbie question: I need to show percentages in columns.

This involves using a relative cell as numerator, and an absolute cell as
denominator.

https://postimg.cc/G9tccRmV

I tried adding $…
1. in the first cell: NOK.
2. in the second cell: NOK.

How can I apply the formula to all cells downward?

Thank you.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [newbie/Calc] How to mix relative/absolute cells in formula?

At 16:00 02/10/2019 -0700, Gilles Noname wrote:
>Another newbie question: I need to show
>percentages in columns. This involves using a
>relative cell as numerator, and an absolute cell
>as denominator. [...] I tried adding $… 1. in
>the first cell: NOK. 2. in the second cell: NOK.
>How can I apply the formula to all cells downward?

You have the denominator in your formula as $E2,
which doesn't quite do what you want. That $
holds the column indicator, E, fixed, so that it
would not be automatically changed to another
column (F2, G2, ...) if you filled or copied the
formula to other *columns*. What you need here is
just to keep the row indicator, 2, fixed, so you
need E$2 instead. (If you needed to keep both
fixed, you would need $E$2.) Use =E3/E$2. I'm
assuming that you know how to fill this down the column.

Incidentally, I don't want to be dismissive, but
you cannot really expect to learn the basics of
spreadsheets by asking questions of hundreds,
perhaps a thousand or two, of fellow user around
the world. You may want to find a book, get
advice from a friend, take a course (at
school/college? at work? in a library? or
elsewhere?), search the web, or perhaps join a
club. But don't let me put you off asking.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: [newbie/Calc] How to mix relative/absolute cells in formula?

=A3/$B$2 and copy down. Denominator in B2

Pressing F4 while clicked on B2 (in the formula) will cycle through the
$ options. I think of the $ as "freeze" or "lock".
Freeze column at B, freeze row at 2

On 03/10/2019 12:00, Gilles wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Another newbie question: I need to show percentages in columns.
>
> This involves using a relative cell as numerator, and an absolute cell as
> denominator.
>
> https://postimg.cc/G9tccRmV
>
> I tried adding $…
> 1. in the first cell: NOK.
> 2. in the second cell: NOK.
>
> How can I apply the formula to all cells downward?
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

Gilles Gilles

Re: [newbie/Calc] How to mix relative/absolute cells in formula?

Brian Barker wrote
> That $ holds the column indicator, E, fixed, so that it would not be
> automatically changed to another column (F2, G2, ...) if you filled or
> copied the formula to other *columns*. What you need here is just to keep
> the row indicator, 2, fixed, so you need E$2 instead.

Thank you!