[newbie/Calc] Why does SUM() not compute?

Gilles Gilles

[newbie/Calc] Why does SUM() not compute?

Hello,

I made sure the column is set to Number.

For some reason, SUM() doesn't work. It only displays the formula:

https://postimg.cc/k29XkyJs

Any idea why?

Thank you.

Mauricio Baeza-4 Mauricio Baeza-4

Re: [newbie/Calc] Why does SUM() not compute?

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:55:58 -0700 (MST), Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I made sure the column is set to Number.
>
> For some reason, SUM() doesn't work. It only displays the formula:
>
> https://postimg.cc/k29XkyJs
>
> Any idea why?

Try

menu View -> Show formula
Gilles Gilles

Re: [newbie/Calc] Why does SUM() not compute?

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Den ons 2 okt. 2019 kl 19:58 skrev Gilles <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I made sure the column is set to Number.
>
> For some reason, SUM() doesn't work. It only displays the formula:
>
> https://postimg.cc/k29XkyJs
>
> Any idea why?

If your cell was formatted as text, then whatever you type into that cell
will be displayed as pure text.
The funny thing is that changing the format doesn't help. You must first
empty the cell, then format it as a number, then type your formula again.
You can also first format the cell to a number format, then empty it and
finally enter your formula again.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Gilles Gilles

Re: [newbie/Calc] Why does SUM() not compute?

Johnny Rosenberg wrote
> If your cell was formatted as text, then whatever you type into that cell
> will be displayed as pure text. The funny thing is that changing the
> format doesn't help. You must first empty the cell, then format it as a
> number, then type your formula again. You can also first format the cell
> to a number format, then empty it and
> finally enter your formula again.

Makes sense. Thank you (and to someone off-band)!

steveedmonds steveedmonds

On 03/10/2019 11:55, Gilles wrote:
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote
>> If your cell was formatted as text, then whatever you type into that cell
>> will be displayed as pure text. The funny thing is that changing the
>> format doesn't help. You must first empty the cell, then format it as a
>> number, then type your formula again. You can also first format the cell
>> to a number format, then empty it and
>> finally enter your formula again.
> Makes sense. Thank you (and to someone off-band)!

You do not even need to empty the cell, after making sure the cell is
formatted number just edit the formula [like remove the last ) and
retype it] and then press enter. =SUM(B4:B8) > =SUM(B4:B8 > =SUM(B4:B8)
and enter. Just out of interest, there is no difference in the number of
actions required,.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: [newbie/Calc] Why does SUM() not compute?

Den tors 3 okt. 2019 kl 01:32 skrev Steve Edmonds <
[hidden email]>:

> On 03/10/2019 11:55, Gilles wrote:
> > Johnny Rosenberg wrote
> >> If your cell was formatted as text, then whatever you type into that
> cell
> >> will be displayed as pure text. The funny thing is that changing the
> >> format doesn't help. You must first empty the cell, then format it as a
> >> number, then type your formula again. You can also first format the cell
> >> to a number format, then empty it and
> >> finally enter your formula again.
> > Makes sense. Thank you (and to someone off-band)!
> >
> You do not even need to empty the cell, after making sure the cell is
> formatted number just edit the formula [like remove the last ) and
> retype it] and then press enter. =SUM(B4:B8) > =SUM(B4:B8 > =SUM(B4:B8)
> and enter. Just out of interest, there is no difference in the number of
> actions required,.

Oh, that's good to know. I didn't try that. Thanks!

Johnny Rosenberg