no middle dots

Ann Must Ann Must

no middle dots

hi!

i'm a (very) new macbook user & as such ignorant. also, i've to complete a
book of mine before handing it over to publisher. in TextEdit, there seems
not to be a shorter-than-paragraph highlighting possibility (confirmed by
lots of comments), so i downloaded .DMG file from
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-x/ site. now i can
highlight whatever i want, but i can't activate the so-called 'middle
dots'--empty-spaces-marker between words and other units. but i badly need
to see them because the book will be published from the manuscript-file and
i wouldn't count on editor to do such fine work. when i press the icon that
i know to be for that purpose, it only displays the enter-marks.
i've been using LibreOffice for years while on my old Linux-based laptop
(and was in this list too, now subscribed anew), and that manuscript was
written in LibreOffice Writer. i mention it to illustrate i know a thing or
two about LOWriter.
i trust it's something easy that just doesn't leap to mind!

regards
😎

Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: no middle dots

I guess the button you pressed is the mirrored P one.

In this case it looks really a weird behavior.

What version of LO are you using?

Sometimes I had such problems too, but with Tab symbol...

Another thing you could try to check is on the settings (CMD + ,): there is
a section where you can specify what to see and what not when you activate
the "non printable symbols" functionality.

Il 19 feb 2017 12:58 PM, "Ann Must" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

deleted

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: no middle dots

Ann Must wrote:

> hi!
>
> i'm a (very) new macbook user & as such ignorant. also, i've to
> complete a book of mine before handing it over to publisher. in
> TextEdit, there seems not to be a shorter-than-paragraph highlighting
> possibility (confirmed by lots of comments), so i downloaded .DMG
> file from https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-x/
> site. now i can highlight whatever i want, but i can't activate the
> so-called 'middle dots'--empty-spaces-marker between words and other
> units. but i badly need to see them because the book will be
> published from the manuscript-file and i wouldn't count on editor to
> do such fine work. when i press the icon that i know to be for that
> purpose, it only displays the enter-marks.

I assume this is View > Formatting Marks? Which marks are shown can be
configured at Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer > Formatting Aids -
make sure "Spaces" is ticked under "Display of".

--
Mark.

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

Re: no middle dots

Interesting. I didn't know about the option of turning off the display
of some of the non-printing characters. Thanks. I found it under Tools

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, Gabriele Ponzo wrote:

> I guess the button you pressed is the mirrored P one.
>
> In this case it looks really a weird behavior.
>
> What version of LO are you using?
>
> Sometimes I had such problems too, but with Tab symbol...
>
> Another thing you could try to check is on the settings (CMD + ,): there is
> a section where you can specify what to see and what not when you activate
> the "non printable symbols" functionality.
>
> Il 19 feb 2017 12:58 PM, "Ann Must" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> hi!
>
> i'm a (very) new macbook user & as such ignorant. also, i've to complete a
> book of mine before handing it over to publisher. in TextEdit, there seems
> not to be a shorter-than-paragraph highlighting possibility (confirmed by
> lots of comments), so i downloaded .DMG file from
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-x/ site. now i can
> highlight whatever i want, but i can't activate the so-called 'middle
> dots'--empty-spaces-marker between words and other units. but i badly need
> to see them because the book will be published from the manuscript-file and
> i wouldn't count on editor to do such fine work. when i press the icon that
> i know to be for that purpose, it only displays the enter-marks.
> i've been using LibreOffice for years while on my old Linux-based laptop
> (and was in this list too, now subscribed anew), and that manuscript was
> written in LibreOffice Writer. i mention it to illustrate i know a thing or
> two about LOWriter.
> i trust it's something easy that just doesn't leap to mind!
>
> regards
> 😎

Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: no middle dots

That's what I was meaning, but I'm on mobile phone and just have to rely in
my memory ;)

Il 19 feb 2017 2:41 PM, "Robert Funnell" <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Interesting. I didn't know about the option of turning off the display of
> some of the non-printing characters. Thanks. I found it under Tools
>
>> Options > LibreOffice Writer > Formatting Aids > Display of.
>>

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, Gabriele Ponzo wrote:
>
> I guess the button you pressed is the mirrored P one.
>>
>> In this case it looks really a weird behavior.
>>
>> What version of LO are you using?
>>
>> Sometimes I had such problems too, but with Tab symbol...
>>
>> Another thing you could try to check is on the settings (CMD + ,): there
>> is
>> a section where you can specify what to see and what not when you activate
>> the "non printable symbols" functionality.
>>
>> Il 19 feb 2017 12:58 PM, "Ann Must" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> hi!
>>
>> i'm a (very) new macbook user & as such ignorant. also, i've to complete a
>> book of mine before handing it over to publisher. in TextEdit, there seems
>> not to be a shorter-than-paragraph highlighting possibility (confirmed by
>> lots of comments), so i downloaded .DMG file from
>> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-x/ site. now i can
>> highlight whatever i want, but i can't activate the so-called 'middle
>> dots'--empty-spaces-marker between words and other units. but i badly need
>> to see them because the book will be published from the manuscript-file
>> and
>> i wouldn't count on editor to do such fine work. when i press the icon
>> that
>> i know to be for that purpose, it only displays the enter-marks.
>> i've been using LibreOffice for years while on my old Linux-based laptop
>> (and was in this list too, now subscribed anew), and that manuscript was
>> written in LibreOffice Writer. i mention it to illustrate i know a thing
>> or
>> two about LOWriter.
>> i trust it's something easy that just doesn't leap to mind!
>>
>> regards
>> 😎

Ann Must Ann Must

Re: no middle dots

just repeating on general address:

it's LibreOffice_5.3.0_MacOS_x86-64.dmg , so it claims on the file.
downloaded it from https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-x/ and
did everything it instructed. if i open a page, i don't see anything that
says Tools. just pictures--well markings of the function. i'm so new i
can't make a screenshot here, what a pity. there r lot of those functions,
one fancier than other--i think i don't need 4/5 of them. yes, the
function-marker looks like P in mirror--the same it was in Linux-LO,
Windows and everywhere else.

annmust.com

On 19 February 2017 at 21:13, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:

> it's LibreOffice_5.3.0_MacOS_x86-64.dmg , so it claims on the file.
> downloaded it from https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-
> x/ and did everything it instructed. if i open a page, i don't see
> anything that says Tools. just pictures--well markings of the function. i'm
> so new i can't make a screenshot here, what a pity. there r lot of those
> functions, one fancier than other--i think i don't need 4/5 of them. yes,
> the function-marker looks like P in mirror--the same it was in Linux-LO,
> Windows and everywhere else.
>

> annmust.com
>
> On 19 February 2017 at 15:47, Gabriele Ponzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's what I was meaning, but I'm on mobile phone and just have to rely
>> in
>> my memory ;)
>>
>> Il 19 feb 2017 2:41 PM, "Robert Funnell" <[hidden email]> ha
>> scritto:
>>
>> > Interesting. I didn't know about the option of turning off the display
>> of
>> > some of the non-printing characters. Thanks. I found it under Tools

>> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, Gabriele Ponzo wrote:
>> >
>> > I guess the button you pressed is the mirrored P one.

>> there
>> activate

>> complete a
>> seems
>> by
>> can
>> need
>> laptop
>> was
>> thing

>> > --
>> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>> > deleted

>> deleted

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: no middle dots

At 21:16 19/02/2017 +0200, Ann Must wrote:
>if i open a page, i don't see anything that says Tools.

Macs are different! For Tools | Options..., read LibreOffice | Preferences.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Il 19 feb 2017 8:17 PM, "Ann Must" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

  if i open a page, i don't see anything that
says Tools.

As said by the other user, preferences are under LibreOffice menu, close to
the Apple symbol. I suppose you know that in MacOs the menu bar is on the
very first line on the top of the screen, detached from the program window.
I also suggested shortcut CMD + , to get there quickly and check what's
selected to be visible.

just pictures--well markings of the function. i'm so new i
can't make a screenshot here, what a pity.

The shortcut for screenshot is SHIFT + CMD + 4 (if I'm not wrong, I'm still
on mobile phone :)

there r lot of those functions,
one fancier than other--i think i don't need 4/5 of them. yes, the
function-marker looks like P in mirror--the same it was in Linux-LO,
Windows and everywhere else.

Well, it was just to understand if we were talking about the same thing.

annmust.com

On 19 February 2017 at 21:13, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:

> it's LibreOffice_5.3.0_MacOS_x86-64.dmg , so it claims on the file.
> downloaded it from https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/os-
> x/ and did everything it instructed. if i open a page, i don't see
> anything that says Tools. just pictures--well markings of the function.
i'm

> so new i can't make a screenshot here, what a pity. there r lot of those
> functions, one fancier than other--i think i don't need 4/5 of them. yes,
> the function-marker looks like P in mirror--the same it was in Linux-LO,
> Windows and everywhere else.
>

> annmust.com
>
> On 19 February 2017 at 15:47, Gabriele Ponzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's what I was meaning, but I'm on mobile phone and just have to rely
>> in
>> my memory ;)
>>
>> Il 19 feb 2017 2:41 PM, "Robert Funnell" <[hidden email]> ha
>> scritto:
>>
>> > Interesting. I didn't know about the option of turning off the display
>> of
>> > some of the non-printing characters. Thanks. I found it under Tools

>> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, Gabriele Ponzo wrote:
>> >
>> > I guess the button you pressed is the mirrored P one.

>> there
>> activate

>> complete a
>> seems
>> by
>> can
>> need
manuscript-file

>> laptop
>> was
>> thing

>> > --
>> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>> > deleted

>> deleted

deleted

Khaled Hosny Khaled Hosny

Re: no middle dots

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Ann Must Ann Must

Re: no middle dots

new development: there was LibreOffice in the top bar when my work was up
open! jeez, it comes and goes, i may swear it wasn't there B4. sadly, it
doesn't solve my problem, as in the Preferences -- Formatting Aid the Space
dot was already checked. i unchecked it, then checked again--no change!

On 19 February 2017 at 22:45, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i was notified of a new message but can't find it! managed to make a
> screenshot:
>

> annmust.com
>
> On 19 February 2017 at 22:20, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> there are System Preferences under Mac, but no LibreOffice there.
>>

>> annmust.com
>>
>> On 19 February 2017 at 22:16, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> no, it's not there. no LibreOffice there.
>>>

>>> annmust.com

Ann Must Ann Must

Re: no middle dots

it begins to seem like something serious  now

annmust.com

On 19 February 2017 at 23:09, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:

> new development: there was LibreOffice in the top bar when my work was up
> open! jeez, it comes and goes, i may swear it wasn't there B4. sadly, it
> doesn't solve my problem, as in the Preferences -- Formatting Aid the Space
> dot was already checked. i unchecked it, then checked again--no change!
>

> On 19 February 2017 at 22:45, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i was notified of a new message but can't find it! managed to make a
>> screenshot:
>>

>> annmust.com
>>
>> On 19 February 2017 at 22:20, Ann Must <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> there are System Preferences under Mac, but no LibreOffice there.
>>>

>>> annmust.com

Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: no middle dots

By the way, the menu bar changes upon the window selected ;)