outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

edmund.laugasson edmund.laugasson

outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Dear all,

Would like to mention that by going to
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/ there is still
v6.1.0 but already second version 6.1.2 is out. Does anyone have an
information - will be there newer versions for portable MS Windows version?
At the same time I would like to say big thanks of allowing us to use
up-to-date AppImage version in Linux.
----
Thank you,
Edmund Laugasson

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Hello,

Edmund Laugasson <[hidden email]> wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2018
18:12:02 +0300:

> Would like to mention that by going to
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/  there is still
> v6.1.0 but already second version 6.1.2 is out. Does anyone have an
> information - will be there newer versions for portable MS Windows version?
> At the same time I would like to say big thanks of allowing us to use
> up-to-date AppImage version in Linux.

thanks for pointing out! John from PortableApps has created 6.1.2 and it
will be available on our mirrors soon. :-)

Florian

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Hi *,
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 10:02 AM Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Edmund Laugasson <[hidden email]> wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2018
> 18:12:02 +0300:
> […]
> thanks for pointing out! John from PortableApps has created 6.1.2 and it
> will be available on our mirrors soon. :-)

And now is :-)
Skipping 6.1.1 should have been a one-time thing, I think you can
assume to have portable versions for all versions - not having one is
exception.

ciao
Christian

edmund.laugasson edmund.laugasson

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Great, what about 6.1.3? Linux version of portable (AppImage) is already
out.
---
Edmund

18.10.18 16:32 Christian Lohmaier:

Edmund Laugasson-2 Edmund Laugasson-2

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Dear all,

Sounds like MS Windows version of LibreOffice Portable is not maintained
(or very slowly...)? Currently seems to be 6.1.4 but 6.1.5 is almost 2
months out from 6.1 series and from 6.2 series already second 6.2.2 is
out. In case of Linux AppImage at least during couple of days after
original release comes out next version but not for MS Windows. It's sad
as many of users do not have installation permission under MS Windows
(e.g. computers in companies, lecturers in visiting organizations) and
would like to use the portable version. As we know - the MS Windows is
widely used - so spreading LibreOffice would mean especially spreading
it under MS Windows and especially in the situation where there is no
administrative rights to install software.
What can we do to improve this situation?
---
Kind Regards,
Edmund

15.11.18 22:28 Edmund Laugasson:

Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5

On 25/03/2019 07:08, Edmund Laugasson wrote:

> What can we do to improve this situation?

There is an alternative developed in Italy:

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php

They provide both LibreOffice 6.2.1:

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1384

And LibreOffice 6.1.5:

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1354

They usually release just a few days after TDF.

They have many positive reviews.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Hello,

instead of the winpenpack project the portableapps project has links to
the TDF infrastructure. They have a download link to:
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/portable/

I think the downloads from that URL will be counted in the TDF stats. I
don't know, if TDF got also the stats from the other download URL of
portableapps. Maybe the TDF admin team could ask John T. Haller about
such stats, if they are not already in TDF's hands.

And for the question about current versions: it needs always voluteers
that do the work and get some positive feedback and support in return.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Am 25.03.19 um 11:21 schrieb Italo Vignoli:

> On 25/03/2019 07:08, Edmund Laugasson wrote:
>
>> What can we do to improve this situation?
> There is an alternative developed in Italy:
>
> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php
>
> They provide both LibreOffice 6.2.1:
>
> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1384
>
> And LibreOffice 6.1.5:
>
> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1354
>
> They usually release just a few days after TDF.
>
> They have many positive reviews.

Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

WinPenPack is open source, and - according to many users - is better
than Portable Apps. It is also maintained by volunteers, who seem to be
more active and more caring about LibreOffice than John Haller as they
have not missed a single release since we launched in 2011. I do not
think that it would be a problem to host it on LibreOffice servers to be
included in the stats. I would be happy to get in touch with them, and I
suppose they would be happy to be considered by TDF (something which has
not happened in the past).

On 25/03/2019 12:11, Andreas Mantke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> instead of the winpenpack project the portableapps project has links to
> the TDF infrastructure. They have a download link to:
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/portable/
>
> I think the downloads from that URL will be counted in the TDF stats. I
> don't know, if TDF got also the stats from the other download URL of
> portableapps. Maybe the TDF admin team could ask John T. Haller about
> such stats, if they are not already in TDF's hands.
>
> And for the question about current versions: it needs always voluteers
> that do the work and get some positive feedback and support in return.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> Am 25.03.19 um 11:21 schrieb Italo Vignoli:
>> On 25/03/2019 07:08, Edmund Laugasson wrote:
>>
>>> What can we do to improve this situation?
>> There is an alternative developed in Italy:
>>
>> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php
>>
>> They provide both LibreOffice 6.2.1:
>>
>> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1384
>>
>> And LibreOffice 6.1.5:
>>
>> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1354
>>
>> They usually release just a few days after TDF.
>>
>> They have many positive reviews.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
hangout/jabber [hidden email]
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Hello,

and if you look for the source code of their portable LibreOffice
version (6.2.1), you are directed to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/files/X-LibreOffice/program_sources/.
And the latest source code published there is: 5.3.3. And nothing about
LibreOffice 5.4, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2.

And if you download the release file in an obscure zip-file-format, you
are not able with the usual tools to extract it and look into it.
Maybe there is an issue with the license regulations.

Regards,
Andreas

Am 25.03.19 um 13:44 schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hello,
>
> and if you look for the source code of their portable LibreOffice
> version (6.2.1), you are directed to
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/files/X-LibreOffice/program_sources/.
> And the latest source code published there is: 5.3.3. And nothing about
> LibreOffice 5.4, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2.
>
> And if you download the release file in an obscure zip-file-format, you
> are not able with the usual tools to extract it and look into it.

Seemed this is caused by an issue with the download. The 6.1.4 release
could be opened with the usual tools.

Kind regards,

Andreas

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

I had a further and closer look onto the portableapps website and had to
amend: both download links go to the TDF infrastructure.

And the webpage contains a prominent link to the TDF donation page.

I don't see something similar on the winpenpack website.

Regards,
Andreas

Am 25.03.19 um 12:11 schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hello,
>
> instead of the winpenpack project the portableapps project has links to
> the TDF infrastructure. They have a download link to:
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/portable/
>
> I think the downloads from that URL will be counted in the TDF stats. I
> don't know, if TDF got also the stats from the other download URL of
> portableapps. Maybe the TDF admin team could ask John T. Haller about
> such stats, if they are not already in TDF's hands.
>
> And for the question about current versions: it needs always voluteers
> that do the work and get some positive feedback and support in return.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> Am 25.03.19 um 11:21 schrieb Italo Vignoli:
>> On 25/03/2019 07:08, Edmund Laugasson wrote:
>>
>>> What can we do to improve this situation?
>> There is an alternative developed in Italy:
>>
>> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/index.php
>>
>> They provide both LibreOffice 6.2.1:
>>
>> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1384
>>
>> And LibreOffice 6.1.5:
>>
>> http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1354
>>
>> They usually release just a few days after TDF.
>>
>> They have many positive reviews.

Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

When in the past it was suggested by several people to get in touch with
them to explore a closer collaboration, this was always refused because
it would have "offended" John Haller (and they were linked only by the
Italian community).

So, I do not see why they should link to our infrastructure when they
have been ignored (if not considered as second class citizens because of
their geographical origins). In fact, they are doing a better job than
John Haller, who is clearly not able of keeping up with our release
schedule, and they do this without our help.

I think that people can judge by themselves who is doing a better job of
supporting LibreOffice with the regular availability of the last version
of the software, and download what is more useful for their needs.

Am 25.03.19 um 14:48 schrieb Italo Vignoli:
> When in the past it was suggested by several people to get in touch with
> them to explore a closer collaboration, this was always refused because
> it would have "offended" John Haller (and they were linked only by the
> Italian community).
>
> So, I do not see why they should link to our infrastructure when they
> have been ignored (if not considered as second class citizens because of
> their geographical origins). In fact, they are doing a better job than

to sum up and make it short and clear:

a) the accusation goes into the direction of TDF's board of directors in
this case;

b) it incorporates the accusation of a discrimination because of
someones geological origin (national origin).
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination)

It's surprising to read such text and belief from the main contact
person of TDF and staff member for marketing and PR.

Regards,
Andreas

Am 25.03.19 um 16:28 schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hello,
>
> Am 25.03.19 um 14:48 schrieb Italo Vignoli:
>> When in the past it was suggested by several people to get in touch with
>> them to explore a closer collaboration, this was always refused because
>> it would have "offended" John Haller (and they were linked only by the
>> Italian community).
>>
>> So, I do not see why they should link to our infrastructure when they
>> have been ignored (if not considered as second class citizens because of
>> their geographical origins). In fact, they are doing a better job than
> to sum up and make it short and clear:
>
> a) the accusation goes into the direction of TDF's board of directors in
> this case;
>
> b) it incorporates the accusation of a discrimination because of
> someones geological origin (national origin).
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination)
>
> It's surprising to read such text and belief from the main contact
> person of TDF and staff member for marketing and PR.

seemed the current board has no issue with this statement and
accusation, because there is no reply from any of its members yet.

If the board accepts the statement, that could have some impact on the
status of the foundation.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Hello Andreas,

Andreas Mantke @ 2019-04-06 12:36 CEST:

> Hello,
>
> Am 25.03.19 um 16:28 schrieb Andreas Mantke:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am 25.03.19 um 14:48 schrieb Italo Vignoli:
>>> When in the past it was suggested by several people to get in touch with
>>> them to explore a closer collaboration, this was always refused because
>>> it would have "offended" John Haller (and they were linked only by the
>>> Italian community).
>>>
>>> So, I do not see why they should link to our infrastructure when they
>>> have been ignored (if not considered as second class citizens because of
>>> their geographical origins). In fact, they are doing a better job than
>> to sum up and make it short and clear:
>>
>> a) the accusation goes into the direction of TDF's board of directors in
>> this case;
>>
>> b) it incorporates the accusation of a discrimination because of
>> someones geological origin (national origin).
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination)
>>
>> It's surprising to read such text and belief from the main contact
>> person of TDF and staff member for marketing and PR.
>
> seemed the current board has no issue with this statement and
> accusation, because there is no reply from any of its members yet.
>
> If the board accepts the statement, that could have some impact on the
> status of the foundation.

I had not followed this thread actively since its beginning, as I don't have
the use for a portable version of LibreOffice and never really had one in the past.

I will say however that you seem to be asking the questions and making the
answers yourself. Your a) does not make sense. Italo is alluding to issues I
myself heard many years ago concerning the different portable LibreOffice
projects, one of them who seemed to have a problem with TDF. I'm not sure
what this meant or what this means today.
But it does not go into the direction of TDF's board, it's a thread on
@discuss. As to your point b): are you even serious?

So there's no accusation coming from anyone but you in this case. I note your last
statement however, and I'm a bit concerned about what you meant: how does
this discussion have an impact on the status of the foundation? Why do you
want to involve the board on such matter? What's your turf?

--
Charles-H. Schulz Co-founder, The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

Hi Edmund, *,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:36 AM Edmund Laugasson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds like MS Windows version of LibreOffice Portable is not maintained
> (or very slowly...)?   […]

Portable windows version is still maintained by John Haller from
portableapps - he made 6.2.2 available to TDF last week and it has
since been added to the download pages.

ciao
Christian

Edmund Laugasson-2 Edmund Laugasson-2

Re: outdated LibreOffice Portable (MS Windows)

...forgot to add...
>> Portable windows version is still maintained by John Haller from
>> portableapps - he made 6.2.2 available to TDF last week and it has
>> since been added to the download pages.
>
> Well - if to compare dates of portable and installable versions then
> we see huge delay and some stable versions will not even be released
> as portable.

There is yet another issue - the
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/ website update
is also delayed and there should be checked directly the download folder
instead of website in order to get information of latest version - most
people do not know that and for them there is still no new version.

Would also bring out that portable MS Windows version is an easy and
quick way to introduce/use LibreOffice without installing it and we even
do not have enough permissions for that.
---
Thank you,
Edmund