overlap(?) objects in draw

Oszkó Albert Oszkó Albert

overlap(?) objects in draw

Hi all,

I've never used Draw up to now, but I got a task and thought I could do
it with that. I am reading and viewing tutorials but did not find the
method for the following: how to overlap, combine, or be it called
something else, two objects.

I mean for example: how can I draw a tube that is pushed into a ring.
Ok, I could do it by drawing two tubes, one is above, the other is below
the ring, but can it be done in a simpler and cleverer way?

Thanks: Albert

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw

Hi Albert,

Albert Oszkó schrieb am 22.05.2018 um 18:43:
> Hi all,
>
> I've never used Draw up to now, but I got a task and thought I could do
> it with that. I am reading and viewing tutorials but did not find the
> method for the following: how to overlap, combine, or be it called
> something else, two objects.
>
> I mean for example: how can I draw a tube that is pushed into a ring.

That would be possible in 3D and Draw is able to have true 3D objects.
But the UI is so bad, that I do not recommend it for beginners in Draw.

You will likely need to make a "fake" 2D drawing.

> Ok, I could do it by drawing two tubes, one is above, the other is below
> the ring, but can it be done in a simpler and cleverer way?

I would draw one tube and do not use a closed ring, but an open one,
which touches the tube at its open part and lays in front of the tube at
the opposite side.

Of cause you can build union, combination, or group of objects. But it
will not be possible, that one part of an object is in front and one
part is behind another object in 2D.

Kind regards
Regina

Oszkó Albert Oszkó Albert

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw

> Hi Albert,
>
> Albert Oszkó schrieb am 22.05.2018 um 18:43:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've never used Draw up to now, but I got a task and thought I could do
>> it with that. I am reading and viewing tutorials but did not find the
>> method for the following: how to overlap, combine, or be it called
>> something else, two objects.
>>
>> I mean for example: how can I draw a tube that is pushed into a ring.
>
> That would be possible in 3D and Draw is able to have true 3D objects.
> But the UI is so bad, that I do not recommend it for beginners in Draw.
>
> You will likely need to make a "fake" 2D drawing.
>
>> Ok, I could do it by drawing two tubes, one is above, the other is below
>> the ring, but can it be done in a simpler and cleverer way?
>
> I would draw one tube and do not use a closed ring, but an open one,
> which touches the tube at its open part and lays in front of the tube
> at the opposite side.
>
> Of cause you can build union, combination, or group of objects. But it
> will not be possible, that one part of an object is in front and one
> part is behind another object in 2D.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Thank you, Regina! I am experimenting. In the meantime I found freeCAD
but it is not meant to my level of knowledge.

Regards, Albert

Albert Oszkó schrieb am 22.05.2018 um 20:01:
> Thank you, Regina! I am experimenting.

Draw has a lot of features. In case you get stuck, simple ask. Here are
lot of users with ideas.

  In the meantime I found freeCAD
> but it is not meant to my level of knowledge.

Here an idea: Draw a ring. That is in Basis Shapes. Draw a rectangle as
"tube" in the desired length. Bring it in front of the ring and move it
so, that is covers only one side of the ring, but does not reach to the
opposite side of the ring. Copy the rectangle to clipboard. Select
rectangle and ring together, right-click. From this context menu use
item Shapes > Subtract. Now you have cut a part of the ring, so that the
gap nicely fits to the "tube"-rectangle. Paste clipboard to draw the
"tube"-rectangle again. Move the rectangle so that it covers both sides
of the ring. Send rectangle behind the ring. Mark both and group it. Now
you can rotate and move the drawing.

Kind regard
Regina

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw

       The best method can't be done with these computers - I've tried LOs,
as well as others, only to be disappointed yet again;
          so my suggestion would be to draw what you have in mind,
             then scan this into your machine;
                 you'll then have what you've imagined.

       BTW - even expert cartoonists, as Disney's, have not been able to
find a machine to make drawings better than the artist;
          for proof, just compare Disney's animated films - the hand-drawn
ones are so superior to the computer robotic movements.

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw

Hi anne-ology,

anne-ology schrieb am 27.05.2018 um 19:45:

>        The best method can't be done with these computers - I've tried LOs,
> as well as others, only to be disappointed yet again;
>           so my suggestion would be to draw what you have in mind,
>              then scan this into your machine;
>                  you'll then have what you've imagined.
>
>        BTW - even expert cartoonists, as Disney's, have not been able to
> find a machine to make drawings better than the artist;
>           for proof, just compare Disney's animated films - the hand-drawn
> ones are so superior to the computer robotic movements.

You disregard the point, that Draw is a tool for construction of vector
graphics. It is not a tool for painting. So do not blame Draw for not
been able to do, for which it is not designed.

Kind regards
Regina

TomD TomD

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw

Hi :)
I had a good run with Inkscape for a while.  Again it's vector graphics
rather than 3d modelling.  It was a bit mind-warping at first because it's
so different from Gimp/Photoshop.

For 3d how about "Sketch-up";
https://www.sketchup.com/

It's not OpenSource afaik but the free version is pretty good and kinda
intuitive(ish).  I suspect the paid vedsion is better but the free one did
everything needed.
Regards from
a Tom :)

On 27 May 2018 19:16, "Regina Henschel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi anne-ology,

anne-ology schrieb am 27.05.2018 um 19:45:
>        The best method can't be done with these computers - I've tried
LOs,
> as well as others, only to be disappointed yet again;
>           so my suggestion would be to draw what you have in mind,
>              then scan this into your machine;
>                  you'll then have what you've imagined.
>
>        BTW - even expert cartoonists, as Disney's, have not been able to
> find a machine to make drawings better than the artist;
>           for proof, just compare Disney's animated films - the hand-drawn
> ones are so superior to the computer robotic movements.

You disregard the point, that Draw is a tool for construction of vector
graphics. It is not a tool for painting. So do not blame Draw for not
been able to do, for which it is not designed.

Kind regards

Regina

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw

       curiously wondering why you deleted the message to which I was
replying???;
          to make what point???

       The initial messager was interested in knowing how to create a 3D
drawing of interlocking tubes;
          that can be easily be done by hand; even if it's done to
architectural scale.

From: Regina Henschel <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, May 27, 2018 at 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] overlap(?) objects in draw
To: [hidden email]

Hi anne-ology,

anne-ology schrieb am 27.05.2018 um 19:45:

       The best method can't be done with these computers - I've tried LOs,

> as well as others, only to be disappointed yet again;
>           so my suggestion would be to draw what you have in mind,
>              then scan this into your machine;
>                  you'll then have what you've imagined.
>
>        BTW - even expert cartoonists, as Disney's, have not been able to
> find a machine to make drawings better than the artist;
>           for proof, just compare Disney's animated films - the hand-drawn
> ones are so superior to the computer robotic movements

You disregard the point, that Draw is a tool for construction of vector
graphics. It is not a tool for painting. So do not blame Draw for not been
able to do, for which it is not designed.

Kind regards
Regina

TomD TomD

Re: overlap(?) objects in draw