passing filter options with the --convert-to CLI switch to soffice?

Bill Janssen Bill Janssen

passing filter options with the --convert-to CLI switch to soffice?

I'd like to be able to use the convenient --convert-to CLI switch on
soffice to convert from Word to PDF.  However, I'd like that conversion
to create tagged PDFs, and the default for UseTaggedPDF is false.

A number of PDF export options are listed at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/API/Tutorials/PDF_export, and after
reading that I tried,

 $ soffice --convert-to pdf:writer_pdf_Export:UseTaggedPDF=true --outdir /tmp myfile.docx

But still got untagged PDF in the output file.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: passing filter options with the --convert-to CLI switch to soffice?

       Maybe I understand what you're attempting; I'm confused about
whatever CLI switch is though.

       I've only converted PDFs to Word and all appears fine,
          so unless there's a bug in your program version, I don't see why
reversing the process should be a problem.

       Have you checked to see if others have reported a bug?; if not, then
maybe doing so, as a query, might bring someone to offer help,

From: Bill Janssen <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:08 PM
Subject: [libreoffice-users] passing filter options with the --convert-to
CLI switch to soffice?
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]

Bill Janssen Bill Janssen

anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

>        Maybe I understand what you're attempting; I'm confused about
> whatever CLI switch is though.

A "CLI switch" is an sub-command or option that can be specified on the
command line as part of the command-line interface (CLI).

>        I've only converted PDFs to Word and all appears fine,

But perhaps you are not using "filter data" options?

>           so unless there's a bug in your program version, I don't see why
> reversing the process should be a problem.

No, what I'm wondering about is how I specify that I want the generated
PDF to be tagged (a modern-day requirement for compliance with
accessibility regulations).

Running "soffice --help" on the command line gives me this (plus much
other information):

--convert-to output_file_extension[:output_filter_name[:output_filter_options]] [--outdir output_dir] files
      Batch convert files (implies --headless).
      If --outdir is not specified then current working dir is used as output_dir.
      Eg. --convert-to pdf *.doc
          --convert-to pdf:writer_pdf_Export --outdir /home/user *.doc
          --convert-to "html:XHTML Writer File:UTF8" *.doc
          --convert-to "txt:Text (encoded):UTF8" *.doc

In the last couple of examples, I think "UTF8" is a filter option.  But
it doesn't have the name=value form.  So I'm wondering how it's supposed
to work.  And where it's documented.

Bill