please help ...

Next » 12
anne-ology anne-ology

please help ...

       ... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an answer;
             nary a soul has responded yet.

       Hoping all is well with all of you,

From: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM
Subject: query re. LO 5 ...
To: [hidden email]

       ... this new version seems to be lacking a great feature which I
enjoyed in the LO 3;
             back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was able to
make PPs, saving each version then I would place each of these together to
save only the best parts.

       But this feature seems to be lacking now - if it still exists, could
someone please let me know how to access. Yes, I can see how to insert
images, ... but not how to insert PPs.

       Maybe changing to a Mac wasn't a good idea after all; I sure wish I
knew how to get it to quit attempting to change the spelling of words & how
it only pretends to remember passwords part of the time.

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: please help ...

Hi,

some feature have moved. Do you remember, in which menu the feature has
been and how it was called in LO 3?

Kind regards
Regina

anne-ology schrieb am 31.03.2018 um 21:46:

>        ... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an answer;
>              nary a soul has responded yet.
>
>        Hoping all is well with all of you,
>

> From: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM
> Subject: query re. LO 5 ...
> To: [hidden email]
>

>        ... this new version seems to be lacking a great feature which I
> enjoyed in the LO 3;
>              back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was able to
> make PPs, saving each version then I would place each of these together to
> save only the best parts.
>
>        But this feature seems to be lacking now - if it still exists, could
> someone please let me know how to access. Yes, I can see how to insert
> images, ... but not how to insert PPs.
>
>        Maybe changing to a Mac wasn't a good idea after all; I sure wish I
> knew how to get it to quit attempting to change the spelling of words & how
> it only pretends to remember passwords part of the time.

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: please help ...

Hi,
Would this be the Slide... Insert Slide from file?
I hope this helps.
Rémy Gauthier.PS: Not sure my last message went through (mixup of
sender address). Sorry if it came twice.
Le samedi 31 mars 2018 à 22:04 +0200, Regina Henschel a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> some feature have moved. Do you remember, in which menu the feature
> has
> been and how it was called in LO 3?
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
>
> anne-ology schrieb am 31.03.2018 um 21:46:
> >        ... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an
> > answer;
> >              nary a soul has responded yet.
> >
> >        Hoping all is well with all of you,
> >

> > From: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM
> > Subject: query re. LO 5 ...
> > To: [hidden email]
> >

> >        ... this new version seems to be lacking a great feature
> > which I
> > enjoyed in the LO 3;
> >              back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was
> > able to
> > make PPs, saving each version then I would place each of these
> > together to
> > save only the best parts.
> >
> >        But this feature seems to be lacking now - if it still
> > exists, could
> > someone please let me know how to access. Yes, I can see how to
> > insert
> > images, ... but not how to insert PPs.
> >
> >        Maybe changing to a Mac wasn't a good idea after all; I sure
> > wish I
> > knew how to get it to quit attempting to change the spelling of
> > words & how
> > it only pretends to remember passwords part of the time.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: please help ...

       Thank you for responding.

       yes, this was right next to the image one ... in fact, one could
insert an image, sound, or PPs.

From: Regina Henschel <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] please help ...
To: [hidden email]

Hi,

some feature have moved. Do you remember, in which menu the feature has
been and how it was called in LO 3?

Kind regards
Regina

anne-ology schrieb am 31.03.2018 um 21:46:

       ... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an answer;

>              nary a soul has responded yet.
>
>        Hoping all is well with all of you,
>

> From: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM
> Subject: query re. LO 5 ...
> To: [hidden email]
>

>        ... this new version seems to be lacking a great feature which I
> enjoyed in the LO 3;
>              back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was able to
> make PPs, saving each version then I would place each of these together to
> save only the best parts.
>
>        But this feature seems to be lacking now - if it still exists, could
> someone please let me know how to access. Yes, I can see how to insert
> images, ... but not how to insert PPs.
>
>        Maybe changing to a Mac wasn't a good idea after all; I sure wish I
> knew how to get it to quit attempting to change the spelling of words & how
> it only pretends to remember passwords part of the time.

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: please help ...

       Thank you for responding,
          but I'm still confused, still inserted below my continued reply,

From: Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 4:30 PM

At 14:46 31/03/2018 -0500, you wrote:

... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an answer; nary a soul
> has responded yet.

I'm frankly not surprised.

   [I don't understand]

back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was able to make PPs, ...

Er, what's a "PP", please? If you get no replies, wouldn't it be sensible
to wonder if people did not understand your request? Do you perhaps mean a
presentation (Impress) document? Or something else?

   [sorry, I thought everyone used 'PP' for Power Point presentation or
Impress]

... saving each version then I would place each of these together to save
> only the best parts.

Why would you create any parts that were not "best"?!

   [for the same reason, when writing anything; first, I get the idea down
as quickly as possible, then I add flourish to it, then after a few days, I
return to the piece to edit]

Do you mean that you could edit slides from different presentations into a
single presentation? Surely you can simply copy slides from the Slides
panel in one document and paste them into the Slides panel of the other
document? Doesn't that still work for you?

   [yes, it allowed me to insert each PP into one; in fact, that's one of
the main reasons I preferred LO to any of these others.
   ok, How can I see the slide panel of the other PP when only the one PP
is open?; are you saying, it's possible to somehow open LO more than once?;
wow, I can't image what this screen would even look like if I had 1/2 dozen
LOs open at one time.]

But this feature seems to be lacking now ...

If you explained how you did it before, someone may be able to comment on
whether your method is still available.

   [hopefully - thank you.]

Yes, I can see how to insert images, ... but not how to insert PPs.

Hold on: if a "PP" is a presentation document, you cannot insert an entire
document into something else. Indeed, what other sort of document would you
be trying to insert it into? So a "PP" cannot be a presentation and no-one
will know what you are talking about.

   [ah, but it was quite possible in the LO 3:]

If no-one answers your question, surely a good start would be to consider
that you might not have expressed it clearly?

Maybe changing to a Mac wasn't a good idea after all; ...

Oh, you may well be right! Ho, ho!

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - *privately*

Dave Stevens Dave Stevens

Re: please help ...

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 18:48:19 -0500
anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian Barker - *privately*

not very

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: please help ...

At 16:52 03/04/2018 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 18:48:19 -0500
>anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Brian Barker - *privately*
>
>not very

Indeed! But I did send my message privately in an attempt to help the
questioner to express her query better - to improve the likelihood of
help - without embarrassing her in public. I couldn't myself help
without more details, but what I said might help her to express her
needs so that others could. She has been asked by Important People
(not me) not to forward private messages to the list ("Disclosing
private emails makes list subscribers very uncomfortable, no matter
how you feel about this"), but she persists in ignoring that advice.
In fact, I have no problem with this material becoming public.

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

At 18:48 03/04/2018 -0500, Anne Noname wrote:
>Thank you for responding, ...

No probs!

>... but I'm still confused, still inserted below my continued reply,
>>From: Brian Barker
>>Date: Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 4:30 PM
>>At 14:46 31/03/2018 -0500, you wrote:
>>>... am re-sending because I really would appreciate an answer;
>>>nary a soul has responded yet.
>>
>>I'm frankly not surprised.
>
>[I don't understand]

I meant simply that, as I explained later, your question was
insufficiently clear to encourage or even allow people to offer any help.

>>>back then, & on the MsFt-compatible computer, I was able to make PPs, ...
>>
>>Er, what's a "PP", please? If you get no replies, wouldn't it be
>>sensible to wonder if people did not understand your request? Do
>>you perhaps mean a presentation (Impress) document? Or something else?
>
>[sorry, I thought everyone used 'PP' for Power Point presentation or Impress]

In fact not: it's only you. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PP . In
any case, it is unhelpful to anyone trying to help you to confuse the
name of a quite different application (Powerpoint) with a document
that may have been created using LibreOffice (Impress). No-one can
know whether you mean that your problem is related to presentation
documents in general or a particular problem with one created in
Microsoft Powerpoint itself.

>>>  ... saving each version then I would place each of these
>>> together to save only the best parts.
>>
>>Why would you create any parts that were not "best"?!
>
>[for the same reason, when writing anything; first, I get the idea
>down as quickly as possible, then I add flourish to it, then after a
>few days, I return to the piece to edit]

Oh, indeed so!

>>Do you mean that you could edit slides from different presentations
>>into a single presentation? Surely you can simply copy slides from
>>the Slides panel in one document and paste them into the Slides
>>panel of the other document? Doesn't that still work for you?
>
>[yes, it allowed me to insert each PP into one; in fact, that's one
>of the main reasons I preferred LO to any of these others.

I still think it is unhelpful to talk of installing an entire
presentation document (your definition of "PP") into another. So I
think you do mean combining slides from one presentation document
into another. And you are far away from the truth if you think this
is (was?) possible only in LibreOffice: it is certainly possible in
Apache OpenOffice and presumably also in Microsoft Powerpoint. It
would be a poor presentation program that did not allow this. And you
don't have to copy them piecemeal: you can select, copy, and paste
multiple slides - perhaps all the slides in a document.

>ok, How can I see the slide panel of the other PP when only the one
>PP is open?; are you saying, it's possible to somehow open LO more than once?

Generally no, but you don't need to: you need just to have two
documents open at once. You have two windows open in the same
instance of LibreOffice. That is certainly possible, and is part of
the purpose of windowing operating systems - as all modern systems are.

>wow, I can't image what this screen would even look like if I had
>1/2 dozen LOs open at one time.]

For the present problem, you need one instance of LibreOffice and two
separate document windows - not half a dozen of anything. Don't you
do this sort of thing all the time? I currently happen to have open
my browser, my office suite, a plain text editor, the Windows
Settings panel, and my mail client. The limitation of one program
(and perhaps one document) surely went out with DOS?

>>>But this feature seems to be lacking now ...
>>
>>If you explained how you did it before, someone may be able to
>>comment on whether your method is still available.
>
>[hopefully - thank you.]

Er, but you haven't responded to this point: you *still* haven't said
exactly what you did before that you believe is no longer available.
Which menu? What menu item? What process?

>>>Yes, I can see how to insert images, ... but not how to insert PPs.
>>
>>Hold on: if a "PP" is a presentation document, you cannot insert an
>>entire document into something else. Indeed, what other sort of
>>document would you be trying to insert it into? So a "PP" cannot be
>>a presentation and no-one will know what you are talking about.
>
>[ah, but it was quite possible in the LO 3:]

As I keep saying, I think it is unhelpful to think of inserting one
document into another. What I am still guessing you mean is inserting
some or all of the slides from one presentation document into
another. Whatever was possible before, surely you can open both
documents at the same time (one instance of LibreOffice; two separate
document windows) and copy and paste slides from one document to the
other? (Yes, you can!)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

I'm confused as to the flow of the discussion, and I'm not at all sure I
know what the issue is, but I have no problem inserting an entire
Impress presentation into another Impress presentation.

Here's how I do it with LO 5.1.6 on my Linux Mint machine:

First, I open one Impress presentation file. I then make sure that the
"Slide Panel" is visible by clicking on the menu "View", "Slide Panel"

I then click on the slide in the Slide Panel where I want to insert
another Impress presentation, keeping in mind that the inserted
presentation will appear *after* the slide I click on in the Slide
Panel. From my experience, inserting a second presentation only works if
my cursor focus is in the Slide Panel.

Then, on the menu, I click "Insert", "File...", which on my machine is
down toward the bottom of the Insert menu list. From the resulting
dialog box, I select the Impress presentation I want to insert and then
I am presented with another dialog box from which I can select certain
slides from the inserting file. If I want the entire presentation, I
simply click on "Ok," and the file is inserted into the original
presentation file after the slide I had selected in my Slide Panel.

Virgil

On 04/04/2018 03:13 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> [...]
> exactly what you did before that you believe is no longer available.
> Which menu? What menu item? What process?

>>> Hold on: if a "PP" is a presentation document, you cannot insert an
>>> entire document into something else. Indeed, what other sort of
>>> document would you be trying to insert it into? So a "PP" cannot be
>>> a presentation and no-one will know what you are talking about.
>>
>> [ah, but it was quite possible in the LO 3:]
>
> As I keep saying, I think it is unhelpful to think of inserting one
> document into another. What I am still guessing you mean is inserting
> some or all of the slides from one presentation document into another.
> Whatever was possible before, surely you can open both documents at
> the same time (one instance of LibreOffice; two separate document
> windows) and copy and paste slides from one document to the other?

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

       yes, Thank You so much for verifying what I was attempting to
express.

       What you're able to do on your machine is what I was able to do, but
for some reason am no longer able to so do.

       I don't know why this no longer works, & am still hoping that
someone on this list can explain where it went or if it somehow was removed
for some reason.

From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
another]
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Luuk Luuk

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

> From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 7:08 AM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
> another]
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>

> I'm confused as to the flow of the discussion, and I'm not at all sure I
> know what the issue is, but I have no problem inserting an entire
> Impress presentation into another Impress presentation.
>
> Here's how I do it with LO 5.1.6 on my Linux Mint machine:
>
> First, I open one Impress presentation file. I then make sure that the
> "Slide Panel" is visible by clicking on the menu "View", "Slide Panel"
>
> I then click on the slide in the Slide Panel where I want to insert
> another Impress presentation, keeping in mind that the inserted
> presentation will appear *after* the slide I click on in the Slide
> Panel. From my experience, inserting a second presentation only works if
> my cursor focus is in the Slide Panel.
>
> Then, on the menu, I click "Insert", "File...", which on my machine is
> down toward the bottom of the Insert menu list. From the resulting
> dialog box, I select the Impress presentation I want to insert and then
> I am presented with another dialog box from which I can select certain
> slides from the inserting file. If I want the entire presentation, I
> simply click on "Ok," and the file is inserted into the original
> presentation file after the slide I had selected in my Slide Panel.
>
> Virgil

The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

Hi Luuk and all:

         Why not only select the slides that you want to input into the
other presentation and copy-paste ?

         I did it in Impress - LibreOffice version: 4.2.8.2 Ubuntu 14.04
LTS and went well.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

On 07/04/18 16:30, Luuk wrote:
> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)

I have a Windows 10 box with LO 6.0.0.3 and it also does not have the
"insert > file" option.

However, it does have "Slide > Insert slide from file".

Could this do what you require ?

Philip

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

       Thank you for this information;

          so sad that it was removed, & now hoping that you might know
which LO edition last had this option so I might change to that one.

       And for all those in programming - will LO be putting this option
back into their program?

From: Luuk <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:30 AM
another]
To: [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5

On 08/04/2018 20:59, anne-ology wrote:

> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)

Menu Slide > Insert Slide from File

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]

On 04/08/2018 03:48 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> On 08/04/2018 20:59, anne-ology wrote:
>
>> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)
> Menu Slide > Insert Slide from File

That may work for inserting only one slide, but what Anne wants is to
insert an entire Impress presentation, not just a slide or two. This can
be done with LO 5.1.6.3 (which is what I use), but it apparently is
missing in later versions. I can understand and appreciate Anne's
frustration that a former functionality seems to have been deliberately
removed from the program (unless it has just been moved to another
location on the menu, which nobody seems to have been able to find).

Yes, a person can copy and paste select slides, but that is hardly a
satisfactory answer when she used to be able to insert an entire file
and can no longer do so.

On 08/04/2018 22:15, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> That may work for inserting only one slide, but what Anne wants is to
> insert an entire Impress presentation, not just a slide or two.

You can select one or all the slides from a presentation. It is the
feature which was available until LibreOffice 5.2 under Insert > File
which has been moved to the Slide menu since LibreOffice 5.3.

As an alternative you can Select All slides in the Slide Sorter view,
Copy them (Ctrl+C) and Paste them in the other presentation (Ctrl+V) in
the Slide Sorter view. They will be inserted after the selected slide.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
hangout/jabber [hidden email]
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

       yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so do.

       There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
appears rather than a new version.

       And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to download
the newest version.

         PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
versions will no longer have this option available.

From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 3:15 PM
another]
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On 04/08/2018 03:48 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> On 08/04/2018 20:59, anne-ology wrote:
>
>> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)
> Menu Slide > Insert Slide from File

That may work for inserting only one slide, but what Anne wants is to
insert an entire Impress presentation, not just a slide or two. This can
be done with LO 5.1.6.3 (which is what I use), but it apparently is
missing in later versions. I can understand and appreciate Anne's
frustration that a former functionality seems to have been deliberately
removed from the program (unless it has just been moved to another
location on the menu, which nobody seems to have been able to find).

Yes, a person can copy and paste select slides, but that is hardly a
satisfactory answer when she used to be able to insert an entire file
and can no longer do so.

Virgil

Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

With the latest versions of LibreOffice you have two different options
for inserting slides from one presentation into another one, both tested
and working on every platform.

A. You can open two different LibreOffice presentations at the same
time, and switch between them using the Window menu.

When you have two presentations open you can copy and paste slides
between them from the Slide Sorter view:

1. Select multiple slides with the mouse while keeping the Ctrl key pressed
2. Copying them by selecting Edit > Copy or by hitting Crtr+C
3. Switch to the other presentation from Window > Presentation Name
4. Past the slides after the selected slide from Edit > Paste or by
hitting Ctrl+V

B. You can insert multiple slides from another presentation into the
open presentation from Slide > Insert Slide from File...

1. Search and open the source presentation
2. Select any number of slides or the entire presentation
3. Click OK and wait for the process to complete

I have just copied/pasted according to option A and inserted according
to option B 60 slides of an 82 slide presentation into another 142 slide
presentation without any issue.

Although I don't see the need of reverting to an old LibreOffice version
to do the same thing in a different way, you can find old LibreOffice
releases here:

https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

On 12/04/2018 21:29, anne-ology wrote:

>        yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so do.
>
>        There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
> appears rather than a new version.
>
>        And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to download
> the newest version.
>
>          PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
> versions will no longer have this option available.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
hangout/jabber [hidden email]
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

Hi Anne and all:

     As  I understood you are working with one Presentation file that is
in cloud and the other that you need copy too.

     Why not try to use two tabs in web browser to open each
Presentation file, or use two different web browser to open each file,
supposed that you can't download them and then upload them again. I
don't know if these suggestions work but nothing to lose trying.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El 12/04/2018 a las 13:29, anne-ology escribió:

>         yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so do.
>
>         There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
> appears rather than a new version.
>
>         And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to download
> the newest version.
>
>           PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
> versions will no longer have this option available.
>

> From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 3:15 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
> another]
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>

> On 04/08/2018 03:48 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
>> On 08/04/2018 20:59, anne-ology wrote:
>>
>>> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)
>> Menu Slide > Insert Slide from File
>>

> That may work for inserting only one slide, but what Anne wants is to
> insert an entire Impress presentation, not just a slide or two. This can
> be done with LO 5.1.6.3 (which is what I use), but it apparently is
> missing in later versions. I can understand and appreciate Anne's
> frustration that a former functionality seems to have been deliberately
> removed from the program (unless it has just been moved to another
> location on the menu, which nobody seems to have been able to find).
>
> Yes, a person can copy and paste select slides, but that is hardly a
> satisfactory answer when she used to be able to insert an entire file
> and can no longer do so.
>
> Virgil

Next » 12