please help ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
12 « Prev
anne-ology anne-ology
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

       Curiously wondering why it's easier to open - if that's even
possible - more than 1 version of LO
          then going through all these steps ... when previously all could
be done within 1 opened LO with a mere click from the Menu line ... ... ...

       Reminds me of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."




From: Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
another]
To: [hidden email]


With the latest versions of LibreOffice you have two different options
for inserting slides from one presentation into another one, both tested
and working on every platform.

A. You can open two different LibreOffice presentations at the same
time, and switch between them using the Window menu.

When you have two presentations open you can copy and paste slides
between them from the Slide Sorter view:

1. Select multiple slides with the mouse while keeping the Ctrl key pressed
2. Copying them by selecting Edit > Copy or by hitting Crtr+C
3. Switch to the other presentation from Window > Presentation Name
4. Past the slides after the selected slide from Edit > Paste or by
hitting Ctrl+V

B. You can insert multiple slides from another presentation into the
open presentation from Slide > Insert Slide from File...

1. Search and open the source presentation
2. Select any number of slides or the entire presentation
3. Click OK and wait for the process to complete

I have just copied/pasted according to option A and inserted according
to option B 60 slides of an 82 slide presentation into another 142 slide
presentation without any issue.

Although I don't see the need of reverting to an old LibreOffice version
to do the same thing in a different way, you can find old LibreOffice
releases here:

https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/



On 12/04/2018 21:29, anne-ology wrote:

>        yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so
do.
>
>        There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
> appears rather than a new version.
>
>        And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to
download
> the newest version.
>
>          PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
> versions will no longer have this option available.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
anne-ology anne-ology
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

In reply to this post by Brian Barker
       Thanks for responding.

       But I have my data & programs on this computer;
         these clouds are dangerous if one wishes to retain ones data, what
if someone, managing these clouds, thinks he has the right to delete
everything for some reason.




From: jorge Rodríguez <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
another]
To: anne-ology <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]


Hi Anne and all:

    As  I understood you are working with one Presentation file that is in
cloud and the other that you need copy too.

    Why not try to use two tabs in web browser to open each Presentation
file, or use two different web browser to open each file, supposed that you
can't download them and then upload them again. I don't know if these
suggestions work but nothing to lose trying.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez



El 12/04/2018 a las 13:29, anne-ology escribió:

        yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so

> do.
>
>         There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
> appears rather than a new version.
>
>         And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to download
> the newest version.
>
>           PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
> versions will no longer have this option available.
>
>
>
>
> From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 3:15 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
> another]
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>
>
>
> On 04/08/2018 03:48 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2018 20:59, anne-ology wrote:
>>
>> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)
>>>
>> Menu Slide > Insert Slide from File
>>
>>
> That may work for inserting only one slide, but what Anne wants is to
> insert an entire Impress presentation, not just a slide or two. This can
> be done with LO 5.1.6.3 (which is what I use), but it apparently is
> missing in later versions. I can understand and appreciate Anne's
> frustration that a former functionality seems to have been deliberately
> removed from the program (unless it has just been moved to another
> location on the menu, which nobody seems to have been able to find).
>
> Yes, a person can copy and paste select slides, but that is hardly a
> satisfactory answer when she used to be able to insert an entire file
> and can no longer do so.
>
> Virgil
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

In reply to this post by anne-ology
So, what I tried to explain is that the feature has not changed, it has just been moved from one menu to another menu, and that there is an alternative to that feature.


Il 17 aprile 2018 17:11:44 CEST, anne-ology <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>       Curiously wondering why it's easier to open - if that's even
>possible - more than 1 version of LO
>       then going through all these steps ... when previously all could
>be done within 1 opened LO with a mere click from the Menu line ... ...
>...
>
>       Reminds me of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
>
>
>
>From: Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]>
>Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM
>Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation
>to
>another]
>To: [hidden email]
>
>
>With the latest versions of LibreOffice you have two different options
>for inserting slides from one presentation into another one, both
>tested
>and working on every platform.
>
>A. You can open two different LibreOffice presentations at the same
>time, and switch between them using the Window menu.
>
>When you have two presentations open you can copy and paste slides
>between them from the Slide Sorter view:
>
>1. Select multiple slides with the mouse while keeping the Ctrl key
>pressed
>2. Copying them by selecting Edit > Copy or by hitting Crtr+C
>3. Switch to the other presentation from Window > Presentation Name
>4. Past the slides after the selected slide from Edit > Paste or by
>hitting Ctrl+V
>
>B. You can insert multiple slides from another presentation into the
>open presentation from Slide > Insert Slide from File...
>
>1. Search and open the source presentation
>2. Select any number of slides or the entire presentation
>3. Click OK and wait for the process to complete
>
>I have just copied/pasted according to option A and inserted according
>to option B 60 slides of an 82 slide presentation into another 142
>slide
>presentation without any issue.
>
>Although I don't see the need of reverting to an old LibreOffice
>version
>to do the same thing in a different way, you can find old LibreOffice
>releases here:
>
>https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
>
>
>
>On 12/04/2018 21:29, anne-ology wrote:
>
>>        yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to
>so
>do.
>>
>>        There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion,
>since
>> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one
>time,
>> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
>> appears rather than a new version.
>>
>>        And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download
>the
>> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to
>download
>> the newest version.
>>
>>          PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the
>latest
>> versions will no longer have this option available.
>
>--
>To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
>Problems?
>https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
>Posting guidelines + more:
>https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
>All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>deleted

--
Italo Vignoli
+393485653829
[hidden email]
Sent from Mobile

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

In reply to this post by anne-ology
Anne,

In my curiosity to understand what Italo has been saying, I installed LO
6.0.3 to my Puppy Linux partition, and I now understand it.

All the LO developers have done is move the function from the "Insert >
File..." menu selection to the "Slide > Insert Slides from File..." menu
selection.

Once you click on the new menu option from the Slide menu, you'll be
prompted to select an .odp file, just as we did when we did it through
"Insert > File...". Once you select the file, you'll have the option to
select as many or as few of the slides from the file as you want.

The functionality has not changed. The only change is that it has been
moved from "Insert > File..." to "Slides > Insert Slides from File..."

Like you, I question why such a change was needed, but you can still
obtain the same results with the same number of mouse clicks.

Virgil


On 04/17/2018 11:11 AM, anne-ology wrote:

>         Curiously wondering why it's easier to open - if that's even
> possible - more than 1 version of LO
>            then going through all these steps ... when previously all could
> be done within 1 opened LO with a mere click from the Menu line ... ... ...
>
>         Reminds me of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
>
>
>
> From: Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
> another]
> To: [hidden email]
>
>
> With the latest versions of LibreOffice you have two different options
> for inserting slides from one presentation into another one, both tested
> and working on every platform.
>
> A. You can open two different LibreOffice presentations at the same
> time, and switch between them using the Window menu.
>
> When you have two presentations open you can copy and paste slides
> between them from the Slide Sorter view:
>
> 1. Select multiple slides with the mouse while keeping the Ctrl key pressed
> 2. Copying them by selecting Edit > Copy or by hitting Crtr+C
> 3. Switch to the other presentation from Window > Presentation Name
> 4. Past the slides after the selected slide from Edit > Paste or by
> hitting Ctrl+V
>
> B. You can insert multiple slides from another presentation into the
> open presentation from Slide > Insert Slide from File...
>
> 1. Search and open the source presentation
> 2. Select any number of slides or the entire presentation
> 3. Click OK and wait for the process to complete
>
> I have just copied/pasted according to option A and inserted according
> to option B 60 slides of an 82 slide presentation into another 142 slide
> presentation without any issue.
>
> Although I don't see the need of reverting to an old LibreOffice version
> to do the same thing in a different way, you can find old LibreOffice
> releases here:
>
> https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
>
>
>
> On 12/04/2018 21:29, anne-ology wrote:
>
>>         yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so
> do.
>>         There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
>> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
>> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
>> appears rather than a new version.
>>
>>         And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
>> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to
> download
>> the newest version.
>>
>>           PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
>> versions will no longer have this option available.


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

In reply to this post by anne-ology
Hi Anne and all:

     Well, if you are using GNU / Linux and open each Presentation From
the file browser I'm almost sure that you can keep both open and then
select the slides from one Presentation to the other (Selecting all that
you want to into the other with copy-paste). I know that it is better
using an option insert from the own program but if it isn't able or
finding, this other would be solve your problem (If it exist yet).

     I think that using windows the process is the same, I guess.

I hope this help,

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez


El 17/04/2018 a las 09:19, anne-ology escribió:

>         Thanks for responding.
>
>         But I have my data & programs on this computer;
>           these clouds are dangerous if one wishes to retain ones data, what
> if someone, managing these clouds, thinks he has the right to delete
> everything for some reason.
>
>
>
>
> From: jorge Rodríguez <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
> another]
> To: anne-ology <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>
>
> Hi Anne and all:
>
>      As  I understood you are working with one Presentation file that is in
> cloud and the other that you need copy too.
>
>      Why not try to use two tabs in web browser to open each Presentation
> file, or use two different web browser to open each file, supposed that you
> can't download them and then upload them again. I don't know if these
> suggestions work but nothing to lose trying.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>
>
>
> El 12/04/2018 a las 13:29, anne-ology escribió:
>
>          yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so
>> do.
>>
>>          There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
>> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
>> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
>> appears rather than a new version.
>>
>>          And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
>> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to download
>> the newest version.
>>
>>            PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the latest
>> versions will no longer have this option available.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 3:15 PM
>> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
>> another]
>> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 04/08/2018 03:48 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/04/2018 20:59, anne-ology wrote:
>>>
>>> The 'file'option is missing in LO 6.0.2.1 (at least on Windows)
>>> Menu Slide > Insert Slide from File
>>>
>>>
>> That may work for inserting only one slide, but what Anne wants is to
>> insert an entire Impress presentation, not just a slide or two. This can
>> be done with LO 5.1.6.3 (which is what I use), but it apparently is
>> missing in later versions. I can understand and appreciate Anne's
>> frustration that a former functionality seems to have been deliberately
>> removed from the program (unless it has just been moved to another
>> location on the menu, which nobody seems to have been able to find).
>>
>> Yes, a person can copy and paste select slides, but that is hardly a
>> satisfactory answer when she used to be able to insert an entire file
>> and can no longer do so.
>>
>> Virgil
>>
>>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
anne-ology anne-ology
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

In reply to this post by Brian Barker
       Thank you for responding; maybe you've figured this out for me.

       I'll be attempting this soon,




From: Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
another]
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>


Anne,

In my curiosity to understand what Italo has been saying, I installed LO
6.0.3 to my Puppy Linux partition, and I now understand it.

All the LO developers have done is move the function from the "Insert >
File..." menu selection to the "Slide > Insert Slides from File..." menu
selection.

Once you click on the new menu option from the Slide menu, you'll be
prompted to select an .odp file, just as we did when we did it through
"Insert > File...". Once you select the file, you'll have the option to
select as many or as few of the slides from the file as you want.

The functionality has not changed. The only change is that it has been
moved from "Insert > File..." to "Slides > Insert Slides from File..."

Like you, I question why such a change was needed, but you can still
obtain the same results with the same number of mouse clicks.

Virgil



On 04/17/2018 11:11 AM, anne-ology wrote:

>         Curiously wondering why it's easier to open - if that's even
> possible - more than 1 version of LO
>            then going through all these steps ... when previously all
could
> be done within 1 opened LO with a mere click from the Menu line ... ...
...

>
>         Reminds me of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
>
>
>
> From: Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
> another]
> To: [hidden email]
>
>
> With the latest versions of LibreOffice you have two different options
> for inserting slides from one presentation into another one, both tested
> and working on every platform.
>
> A. You can open two different LibreOffice presentations at the same
> time, and switch between them using the Window menu.
>
> When you have two presentations open you can copy and paste slides
> between them from the Slide Sorter view:
>
> 1. Select multiple slides with the mouse while keeping the Ctrl key
pressed

> 2. Copying them by selecting Edit > Copy or by hitting Crtr+C
> 3. Switch to the other presentation from Window > Presentation Name
> 4. Past the slides after the selected slide from Edit > Paste or by
> hitting Ctrl+V
>
> B. You can insert multiple slides from another presentation into the
> open presentation from Slide > Insert Slide from File...
>
> 1. Search and open the source presentation
> 2. Select any number of slides or the entire presentation
> 3. Click OK and wait for the process to complete
>
> I have just copied/pasted according to option A and inserted according
> to option B 60 slides of an 82 slide presentation into another 142 slide
> presentation without any issue.
>
> Although I don't see the need of reverting to an old LibreOffice version
> to do the same thing in a different way, you can find old LibreOffice
> releases here:
>
> https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
>
>
>
> On 12/04/2018 21:29, anne-ology wrote:
>
>>         yes, & thank you for expressing what obviously I was unable to so
> do.
>>         There's also a problem with their copy & paste suggestion, since
>> that surely requires having more than one copy of LO open at one time,
>> which seems impossible since when I click on LO again, the opened one
>> appears rather than a new version.
>>
>>         And when I've gone to the LO archives to attempt to download the
>> previous versions, it merely sends me back to the download page to
> download
>> the newest version.
>>
>>           PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW to download a previous version, if the
latest
>> versions will no longer have this option available.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Copying slides from one presentation to another]

In reply to this post by Virgil Arrington
On 17/04/2018 19:41, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> The functionality has not changed. The only change is that it has been
> moved from "Insert > File..." to "Slides > Insert Slides from File..."

Maybe, trusting people is not a bad idea, especially when they try to
solve your problem providing the right answer.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
hangout/jabber [hidden email]
The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, DE
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
aguador aguador
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Changes in menus, WAS Copying slides from . . .]

In reply to this post by anne-ology
> Enviar: martes 17 de abril de 2018 a las 22:44
> De: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
> Para: [hidden email]
> Asunto: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to another]
>
>        Thank you for responding; maybe you've figured this out for me.
>
>        I'll be attempting this soon,
Anne,

Do you have the help files installed? I don't generally use Impress, but I know from changes in Writer that I have had to look for things (including the Insert Document function from 5.x). I just opened Impress (6.0.3.2) and a) (based on Virgil's reply), found the insert file function slide function (oddly to me, under Slide rather than Insert) and b) checked the help file which in an sub-entry for insert has instructions for inserting either a whole file or selected slides.

This is similar to changes in Writer, although, actually, more accessible in the Impress help file than the Writer one. Actually, I cannot find equivalent help in Writer at the moment as the Insert document is now handled by Insert text from document which I do not see documented or at least clearly indexed (at least in my Spanish-language help files), neither do I see the possibility of selecting only part of the text before insertion (which makes the label for the command misleading).

Anne and Virgil,

I am not sure why some menus have changed, but I think that we have to recognize that LO faces two issues. First, some of the menus are exceedingly long at this point (at least in Writer) and so subject to reorganization. Second, some functions may be redone rather than completely lost, and redoing should, perhaps be our first assumption leading us to either hunt around, check the help files, or, later, resort to the forum.

In addition, since we are using the bleeding edge version of LO, we have to expect not only changes, but perhaps some flaws in those changes and be prepared to give feedback. I have discovered one problem with resizing related to Gtk3 in 6.0. I find one change in Word annoying (where one could formerly create columns by marking the text and clicking "columns" and now must insert a section and then the text in the section). There feedback is the crucial thing. The column command change may be related to changing and expanding functionality or simply a lack of understanding of good workflow for the users (although I will give the benefit of the doubt here). In this case I am foregoing feedback at the moment because, while I find the prior organization more flexible and reasonable in terms of workflow, I cannot say it impedes my work. It simply changes the order in which I do things.

Best,
Roy

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Changes in menus, WAS Copying slides from . . .]

Roy,

Thank you for your thoughts on menu-redesign.

My comment about not knowing why this particular change was needed was
not intended as a complaint, although I can see how it could have been
taken that way.

I am *extremely* grateful to the LO developers for their overall
consistency in user interface from one release to the next. I'm
especially grateful that they have never followed Microsoft's lead with
the ribbon, a total redesign that did nothing other than take up screen
real estate.

I can understand why some things may make more sense in a different
place on the menu. For example, "Insert > File..." may give the
impression that the only thing that can be inserted is an entire Impress
file rather than select slides from that file, or a user might think it
refers to files other than other Impress files. By moving the function
to "Slide > Insert Slides from File..." a user may more clearly
understand what the function provides.

I consider a change like this to be extremely minor, and once learned, I
will quickly forget that there used to be a different way.

And, given the open source nature of LO, it always seems that the help
files lag behind the improvements to the program itself.

Virgil


On 04/18/2018 03:14 PM, Roy Reese wrote:

>> Enviar: martes 17 de abril de 2018 a las 22:44
>> De: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
>> Para: [hidden email]
>> Asunto: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to another]
>>
>>         Thank you for responding; maybe you've figured this out for me.
>>
>>         I'll be attempting this soon,
> Anne,
>
> Do you have the help files installed? I don't generally use Impress, but I know from changes in Writer that I have had to look for things (including the Insert Document function from 5.x). I just opened Impress (6.0.3.2) and a) (based on Virgil's reply), found the insert file function slide function (oddly to me, under Slide rather than Insert) and b) checked the help file which in an sub-entry for insert has instructions for inserting either a whole file or selected slides.
>
> This is similar to changes in Writer, although, actually, more accessible in the Impress help file than the Writer one. Actually, I cannot find equivalent help in Writer at the moment as the Insert document is now handled by Insert text from document which I do not see documented or at least clearly indexed (at least in my Spanish-language help files), neither do I see the possibility of selecting only part of the text before insertion (which makes the label for the command misleading).
>
> Anne and Virgil,
>
> I am not sure why some menus have changed, but I think that we have to recognize that LO faces two issues. First, some of the menus are exceedingly long at this point (at least in Writer) and so subject to reorganization. Second, some functions may be redone rather than completely lost, and redoing should, perhaps be our first assumption leading us to either hunt around, check the help files, or, later, resort to the forum.
>
> In addition, since we are using the bleeding edge version of LO, we have to expect not only changes, but perhaps some flaws in those changes and be prepared to give feedback. I have discovered one problem with resizing related to Gtk3 in 6.0. I find one change in Word annoying (where one could formerly create columns by marking the text and clicking "columns" and now must insert a section and then the text in the section). There feedback is the crucial thing. The column command change may be related to changing and expanding functionality or simply a lack of understanding of good workflow for the users (although I will give the benefit of the doubt here). In this case I am foregoing feedback at the moment because, while I find the prior organization more flexible and reasonable in terms of workflow, I cannot say it impedes my work. It simply changes the order in which I do things.
>
> Best,
> Roy
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
TomD TomD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Changes in menus, WAS Copying slides from . . .]

Hi :)
Yes, I tend to think it's inevitable that documentation lags behind
implementation - unless one makes promises that may not be able to be kept
or that restrict development or that are going to be broken and then need
to be rewritten.  I too think LO gets it right.

'Recently' 'the' Documentation Team became quite a lot larger.  Up until a
couple of years ago the English Team was mostly reliant on a very tiny
number of total stars - unsung heroes imo.  It was led by 1 individual who
really didn't want the job of leading the team but who was accidentally
really good at leading and just couldn't help doing so.  She even hid for a
few months once but had set things up so well that most of us lurkers
hadn't even realised.

Nowadays that's all changed.  Many more people seem to be involved at
higher levels and new people are joining all the time.  It's still not the
discussion-group that it was in the earlys but it seems to get a lot of
work done on the Published Guides and seems to have expanded it's remit a
bit and liases with the translators more.

The 'in-built' help still seems to be a very tiny crew working with very
technical tools to build something that is easier to translate.  Part of
that is to make sure it doesn't keep changing all the time. ie, it's what
we normal users think of as "stable".  Fixing any of it's problems could
easily result in tons of work for hundreds of language teams even where the
translators have already corrected those things as they were going along.

A stupid fictional example would be adding a space after a full-stop in 1
sentence.  That would send an alert to hundreds of translators and mark
their current translations as incomplete or wrong.  Then for each of the
over a hundred languages one person would have to "Ok" it's translation and
another "Ok" it in the review process and another "Ok" it as being
proof-read and once accepted those 'translations' would be sent to all the
distros for their translator teams to "Ok"!

There is work being done to smooth some of that out and work-flows are
set-up to minimise it but the up-shot is that the in-built help is great
for non-English and the published guides are better for English.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications


Regards from
a Tom :)



On 19 Apr 2018 00:35, "Virgil Arrington" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Roy,

Thank you for your thoughts on menu-redesign.

My comment about not knowing why this particular change was needed was
not intended as a complaint, although I can see how it could have been
taken that way.

I am *extremely* grateful to the LO developers for their overall
consistency in user interface from one release to the next. I'm
especially grateful that they have never followed Microsoft's lead with
the ribbon, a total redesign that did nothing other than take up screen
real estate.

I can understand why some things may make more sense in a different
place on the menu. For example, "Insert > File..." may give the
impression that the only thing that can be inserted is an entire Impress
file rather than select slides from that file, or a user might think it
refers to files other than other Impress files. By moving the function
to "Slide > Insert Slides from File..." a user may more clearly
understand what the function provides.

I consider a change like this to be extremely minor, and once learned, I
will quickly forget that there used to be a different way.

And, given the open source nature of LO, it always seems that the help
files lag behind the improvements to the program itself.


Virgil



On 04/18/2018 03:14 PM, Roy Reese wrote:
>> Enviar: martes 17 de abril de 2018 a las 22:44
>> De: anne-ology <[hidden email]>
>> Para: [hidden email]
>> Asunto: Re: [libreoffice-users] [Copying slides from one presentation to
another]
>>
>>         Thank you for responding; maybe you've figured this out for me.
>>
>>         I'll be attempting this soon,
> Anne,
>
> Do you have the help files installed? I don't generally use Impress, but
I know from changes in Writer that I have had to look for things (including
the Insert Document function from 5.x). I just opened Impress (6.0.3.2) and
a) (based on Virgil's reply), found the insert file function slide function
(oddly to me, under Slide rather than Insert) and b) checked the help file
which in an sub-entry for insert has instructions for inserting either a
whole file or selected slides.
>
> This is similar to changes in Writer, although, actually, more accessible
in the Impress help file than the Writer one. Actually, I cannot find
equivalent help in Writer at the moment as the Insert document is now
handled by Insert text from document which I do not see documented or at
least clearly indexed (at least in my Spanish-language help files), neither
do I see the possibility of selecting only part of the text before
insertion (which makes the label for the command misleading).
>
> Anne and Virgil,
>
> I am not sure why some menus have changed, but I think that we have to
recognize that LO faces two issues. First, some of the menus are
exceedingly long at this point (at least in Writer) and so subject to
reorganization. Second, some functions may be redone rather than completely
lost, and redoing should, perhaps be our first assumption leading us to
either hunt around, check the help files, or, later, resort to the forum.
>
> In addition, since we are using the bleeding edge version of LO, we have
to expect not only changes, but perhaps some flaws in those changes and be
prepared to give feedback. I have discovered one problem with resizing
related to Gtk3 in 6.0. I find one change in Word annoying (where one could
formerly create columns by marking the text and clicking "columns" and now
must insert a section and then the text in the section). There feedback is
the crucial thing. The column command change may be related to changing and
expanding functionality or simply a lack of understanding of good workflow
for the users (although I will give the benefit of the doubt here). In this
case I am foregoing feedback at the moment because, while I find the prior
organization more flexible and reasonable in terms of workflow, I cannot
say it impedes my work. It simply changes the order in which I do things.
>
> Best,
> Roy
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems?
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
deleted

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
12 « Prev