presentation question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
June Newman June Newman
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

presentation question

I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector, and need to use a windows laptop.

Thanks!


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

jmadero jmadero
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

On 11/12/2013 08:08 PM, June Newman wrote:
> I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector, and need to use a windows laptop.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
Yes - but make sure to save it in a format that a) you can verify
formatting works and b) will work on whatever Windows machine you have
to put it on. If the Windows machine only has powerpoint (ie. no
LibreOffice), save the file as a ppt, and make sure to check it before
using it on a Windows machine to ensure that formatting looks right. Try
to check it on a machine that has the same version of Microsoft Office.
If you save as the default odp (the open standard which LibreOffice uses
by default) there is a good chance you'll get errors if the Windows
machine only has Microsoft Office.


Best,
Joel

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

James Knott James Knott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

In reply to this post by June Newman
On 11/12/2013 11:08 PM, June Newman wrote:
> I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector, and need to use a windows laptop.
>

A presentation created in LibreOffice will work on any other computer,
Mac, Windows or Linux, with LibreOffice.  It might also work with recent
versions of MS Office.  You can also get portable versions of
LibreOffice which can be installed on the flash drive for use with
Windows computers that don't have it installed.
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Tom Tom
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

In reply to this post by jmadero
Hi :)
Yes.

It is also good to keep an original in native LibreOffice format as
almost all other office suites and programs use the same format
natively.  Even MS office can sometimes read it fairly well nowadays.

However, as Joel said it is good to use
File - "Save As ..."
to save in the older Microsoft format to view on other machines.  I
think it's listed as "PowerPoint 98/2000/Xp", something like that.

This is also true if you were using Microsoft Office.  Their native
format (.pptX) doesn't work as reliably on other versions of their own
program.  The older format (.ppt) seems to be able to be read most
widely by the largest variety of machines and programs.

You can edit Microsoft formats with Libreoffice but they tend to add
funny bits of unnecessary coding so it's better to edit your original
.Odp file and then only use the "Save As" option when you really need
to use the file on another machine.

One of these days people will stop relying on the variable and
inconsistent MS formats that changes with each release of their
products and move to something more reliable that is developed and
agreed by a committee of software producers rather than by a single
profit-making organisation.  Until then we just have to muddle along.

Regards from
Tom :)





On 13 November 2013 04:12, Joel Madero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/12/2013 08:08 PM, June Newman wrote:
>>
>> I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a
>> presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows
>> computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector,
>> and need to use a windows laptop.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
> Yes - but make sure to save it in a format that a) you can verify formatting
> works and b) will work on whatever Windows machine you have to put it on. If
> the Windows machine only has powerpoint (ie. no LibreOffice), save the file
> as a ppt, and make sure to check it before using it on a Windows machine to
> ensure that formatting looks right. Try to check it on a machine that has
> the same version of Microsoft Office. If you save as the default odp (the
> open standard which LibreOffice uses by default) there is a good chance
> you'll get errors if the Windows machine only has Microsoft Office.
>
>
> Best,
> Joel
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems?
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

June Newman June Newman
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question


On Nov 13, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> Yes.
>
> It is also good to keep an original in native LibreOffice format as
> almost all other office suites and programs use the same format
> natively.  Even MS office can sometimes read it fairly well nowadays.
>
> However, as Joel said it is good to use
> File - "Save As ..."
> to save in the older Microsoft format to view on other machines.  I
> think it's listed as "PowerPoint 98/2000/Xp", something like that.
>
> This is also true if you were using Microsoft Office.  Their native
> format (.pptX) doesn't work as reliably on other versions of their own
> program.  The older format (.ppt) seems to be able to be read most
> widely by the largest variety of machines and programs.
>
> You can edit Microsoft formats with Libreoffice but they tend to add
> funny bits of unnecessary coding so it's better to edit your original
> .Odp file and then only use the "Save As" option when you really need
> to use the file on another machine.
>
> One of these days people will stop relying on the variable and
> inconsistent MS formats that changes with each release of their
> products and move to something more reliable that is developed and
> agreed by a committee of software producers rather than by a single
> profit-making organisation.  Until then we just have to muddle along.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>
>
>
>
>
> On 13 November 2013 04:12, Joel Madero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/12/2013 08:08 PM, June Newman wrote:
>>>
>>> I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a
>>> presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows
>>> computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector,
>>> and need to use a windows laptop.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>> Yes - but make sure to save it in a format that a) you can verify formatting
>> works and b) will work on whatever Windows machine you have to put it on. If
>> the Windows machine only has powerpoint (ie. no LibreOffice), save the file
>> as a ppt, and make sure to check it before using it on a Windows machine to
>> ensure that formatting looks right. Try to check it on a machine that has
>> the same version of Microsoft Office. If you save as the default odp (the
>> open standard which LibreOffice uses by default) there is a good chance
>> you'll get errors if the Windows machine only has Microsoft Office.
>>
>>
>> Best,
>> Joel
>>
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
>> Problems?
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
>> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
>> deleted
>>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

nabbler nabbler
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

In reply to this post by June Newman
On 13/11/2013, June Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a
 > presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows
 > computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector,
 > and need to use a windows laptop.
 >

Alternatively, create the original presentation in native odp format,
 then export to pdf. You can then use a pdf viewer (e.g. acrobat,
 sumatrapdf) in presentation mode on any computer with the pdf viewer
 installed.

 P.S. remember to keep the presentation simple; people are attending to
 see you, not _yet another_ presentation of gratuitous dynamic
 graphics, comic sans type child text and other rubbish!

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Joseph Hogan Joseph Hogan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

Hello,

This is exactly what I ended up doing.  Not for the same reasons.

I made my presentatino on my Mac OS X 10.6 in LO.  I have a Windows laptop.

Regardless what you do, there is always a little "shift" in text,
images, etc...

I saved as PDF and gave the presentation that way:)

I tried different PDF viewers, but Adobe Reader worked perfect for me to
give my slide show.

Joe


On 11-13-13 9:40 AM, e-letter wrote:

> On 13/11/2013, June Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   > I have libreoffice installed on a mac with os x 10.8.  If I prepare a
>   > presentation and put it on a flash drive, will it play on a windows
>   > computer.  I don't have the right adapter to connect to a digital projector,
>   > and need to use a windows laptop.
>   >
>
> Alternatively, create the original presentation in native odp format,
>   then export to pdf. You can then use a pdf viewer (e.g. acrobat,
>   sumatrapdf) in presentation mode on any computer with the pdf viewer
>   installed.
>
>   P.S. remember to keep the presentation simple; people are attending to
>   see you, not _yet another_ presentation of gratuitous dynamic
>   graphics, comic sans type child text and other rubbish!
>





--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
James Knott James Knott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

In reply to this post by June Newman
June, it's not necessary to cc to anyone.  If you send to the list, we
will see your message.


On 11/13/2013 08:53 AM, June Newman wrote:


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Tom Tom
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: presentation question

Hi :)
If it is going to be on your own machine/laptop/whatever then the best
bet is to install LibreOffice and stick to native format.  In this
case that is Odp (the usual default unless you have carefully changed
it)

It's good to have 'back-up' copies in other formats just in case the
venue does something weird and unlikely such as not allowing you to
use your ownm machine (i've never heard of this happening as they
would rather you risked damage to your machine rather than get their
own one out) or in case your machine doesn't work for some weird
reason.  So if you take back-up copies best to have them on usb-stick
or Cd or something.

I know it is a bit paranoid to have such back-ups but i recently saw a
presentation given by someone whose laptop had died on the way to the
venue.  Actually people commented that they preferred the way he
directly engaged with the audience as they had grown weary of the
usual PowerPoint type presentation.  At another gig they just showed
their photos outside of any kind of presentation software and the
results were much more crisp and high-def.

One advantage that LibreOffice Impress has is that you can supposedly
use an Android phone/tablet as the 2nd screen and as the remote for
flicking to the next slide.  I'm guessing that depends on the laptop
being able to receive wireless signals of some kind.

Regards from
Tom :)



On 13 November 2013 14:57, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> June, it's not necessary to cc to anyone.  If you send to the list, we
> will see your message.
>
>
> On 11/13/2013 08:53 AM, June Newman wrote:
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted