question about the best version of libreoffice:

Next » 123
zahra a zahra a

question about the best version of libreoffice:

hi every one.
i tested many versions of libreoffice since version 4.2.5
all versions have there advantages and in cases there bugs and limitations.
whats the best version of libreoffice since version 4.3.0.4 according
to your experience?
whats the best version with more stability, reliability and with less
bugs and crashes, compatible even with the old and not powerful
computers and also sutable for none professional home users?
i only use writer and only use writer for reading books, articles etc
and for writing.
thank you and god bless you all.

--
O people! there has come to you indeed an admonition from your Lord
and a healing for what is in the breasts and a guidance and a mercy

please visit al-islam.org

Philip Rhoades Philip Rhoades

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

nasrin,

On 2016-01-20 19:05, nasrin khaksar wrote:

> hi every one.
> i tested many versions of libreoffice since version 4.2.5
> all versions have there advantages and in cases there bugs and
> limitations.
> whats the best version of libreoffice since version 4.3.0.4 according
> to your experience?
> whats the best version with more stability, reliability and with less
> bugs and crashes, compatible even with the old and not powerful
> computers and also sutable for none professional home users?
> i only use writer and only use writer for reading books, articles etc
> and for writing.

Please leave superstitious nonsense (like the stuff below) out of posts
to lists that are about real-world technology.

P.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Erik Jan Erik Jan

Philip Rhoades schreef op 20-01-16 om 09:15:

> nasrin,
>

> On 2016-01-20 19:05, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>> hi every one.
>> i tested many versions of libreoffice since version 4.2.5
>> all versions have there advantages and in cases there bugs and
>> limitations.
>> whats the best version of libreoffice since version 4.3.0.4 according
>> to your experience?
>> whats the best version with more stability, reliability and with less
>> bugs and crashes, compatible even with the old and not powerful
>> computers and also sutable for none professional home users?
>> i only use writer and only use writer for reading books, articles etc
>> and for writing.
>

> Please leave superstitious nonsense (like the stuff below) out of posts
> to lists that are about real-world technology.
>
> P.

The beauty of the free world is that everyone is free to speak their
mind. You are free to think and proclaim that religion is superstition,
and others are free to think and proclaim God's mercy.

His words are in the "signature"; ignore them if you want to, but do not
despise them by judgmental words, but respect the other human being who
who wants to be known by these words.

Greetings,

Erik.

>> thank you and god bless you all.
>>
>> --
>> O people! there has come to you indeed an admonition from your Lord
>> and a healing for what is in the breasts and a guidance and a mercy
>> for the believers.
>> Say: In the grace of Allah and in His mercy-- in that they should
>> rejoice; it is better than that which they gather.
>> holy quran, chapter 10.
>>
>> please visit al-islam.org

Philip Rhoades Philip Rhoades

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Erik,

On 2016-01-20 19:49, Erik Jan wrote:

> Philip Rhoades schreef op 20-01-16 om 09:15:
>> nasrin,
>>

>> On 2016-01-20 19:05, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>> hi every one.
>>> i tested many versions of libreoffice since version 4.2.5
>>> all versions have there advantages and in cases there bugs and
>>> limitations.
>>> whats the best version of libreoffice since version 4.3.0.4 according
>>> to your experience?
>>> whats the best version with more stability, reliability and with less
>>> bugs and crashes, compatible even with the old and not powerful
>>> computers and also sutable for none professional home users?
>>> i only use writer and only use writer for reading books, articles etc
>>> and for writing.
>>

>> Please leave superstitious nonsense (like the stuff below) out of
>> posts
>> to lists that are about real-world technology.
>>
>> P.
>
> The beauty of the free world is that everyone is free to speak their
> mind. You are free to think and proclaim that religion is
> superstition, and others are free to think and proclaim God's mercy.
>
> His words are in the "signature"; ignore them if you want to, but do
> not despise them by judgmental words, but respect the other human
> being who who wants to be known by these words.
>
> Greetings,

OK, so this list is "anything goes" then - great!  Here is some stuff
which is incredibly funny and very much more worthwhile people spending
their time on than ghosts and goblins:

   BAHFest West 2014 - Matt Inman: Jibbers Crabst

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_BtZ-5O60

Enjoy!

P.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Guy Voets Guy Voets

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Thanks Philip, very instructive!
--
Guy

> Erik,
>

> On 2016-01-20 19:49, Erik Jan wrote:
>
>> Philip Rhoades schreef op 20-01-16 om 09:15:
>>
>>> nasrin,

>>> Please leave superstitious nonsense (like the stuff below) out of posts
>>> to lists that are about real-world technology.
>>>
>>> P.
>>>

>> The beauty of the free world is that everyone is free to speak their
>> mind. You are free to think and proclaim that religion is
>> superstition, and others are free to think and proclaim God's mercy.
>>
>> His words are in the "signature"; ignore them if you want to, but do
>> not despise them by judgmental words, but respect the other human
>> being who who wants to be known by these words.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> OK, so this list is "anything goes" then - great!  Here is some stuff
> which is incredibly funny and very much more worthwhile people spending
> their time on than ghosts and goblins:
>
>   BAHFest West 2014 - Matt Inman: Jibbers Crabst
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_BtZ-5O60
>
> Enjoy!
>
> P.
>

> Erik.
>>

>>> thank you and god bless you all.

> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> PO Box 896
> Cowra  NSW  2794
> Australia
> E-mail:  [hidden email]

Guy
using LibO 5.0.1 on a iMac Intel Yosemite 10.10.5
Dodoes can't afford to have headaches

James Knott James Knott

On 01/20/2016 03:15 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Please leave superstitious nonsense (like the stuff below) out of
> posts to lists that are about real-world technology.

+1

James Knott James Knott

On 01/20/2016 03:49 AM, Erik Jan wrote:

> The beauty of the free world is that everyone is free to speak their
> mind. You are free to think and proclaim that religion is
> superstition, and others are free to think and proclaim God's mercy.

As history and recent events have proven, those who believe in religion
are all too often the cause of violence.  When you believe in a
delusion, you can use it to justify anything, up to and including the
recent murders committed in "God's" name.  Religion is a cancer this
world can well do without.

If "believers" kept their delusions to themselves, this world would be a
much better place.

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 20.01.2016 um 09:05 schrieb nasrin khaksar:

> hi every one.
> i tested many versions of libreoffice since version 4.2.5
> all versions have there advantages and in cases there bugs and limitations.
> whats the best version of libreoffice since version 4.3.0.4 according
> to your experience?
> whats the best version with more stability, reliability and with less
> bugs and crashes, compatible even with the old and not powerful
> computers and also sutable for none professional home users?
> i only use writer and only use writer for reading books, articles etc
> and for writing.
> thank you and god bless you all.

I used 3.5 for many years with no problems.

Am 20.01.2016 um 13:36 schrieb Andreas Säger:

> I used 3.5 for many years with no problems.

Oh, shit. Did I feed a troll?

TomD TomD

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Hi :)
+1
errr, at least wrt 3.5 - i'm not sure about trolls.

I think as a general rule the later versions of a branch tend to be
more reliable in terms of their functionality and probably more stable
too (although i've never had LO out-right crash or anything).  So for
the 3.5 branch the 3.5.4 was probably more stable and reliable than
the 3.5.0.  With the 4.2 branch hopefully it's become smoother and
more reliable with each "Service Pack", such that 4.2.1 was a bit
better, 4.2.2 quite a bit better, 4.2.3 even better and with the 4.2.5
being nearly the best.  The best version in the 4.2 branch 'should be'
the 4.2.6 but sometimes branches don't bother to go that far because
the x.x.5 was plenty "good enough" (or other reasons for moving onto a
newer branch).

The advantage with newer branches 'should be' that they just have
better functionality, greater compatibility with the ever-changing MS
formats.  Although they are initially "stable" (using the devs
definition of the word - errr and extra-ordinarily so, especially when
compared to pretty much any other software apparently) some older
functionality may have temporarily been inadvertently broken.
Hopefully the "code clean-up" has significantly reduced the amount of
unexpected breakages of completely unrelated things.

So the 4.3.6 should be about as stable and reliable as the 4.2.6 and
the 4.4.6.  There is not much point in trying out the earlier releases
of any branch, just skip straight to the one with the highest 3rd
digit.

However what 'should be' and "what really is" are often completely
opposite from each other in so many areas of life.  So i would be
fairly interested in Nasrin's opinions about how closely the last few
branches seem to have followed that "general rule", especially "with
regards to" ( = wrt ) "accessibility issues" such as screen-readers.

There is a separate mailing list for accessibility issues but it's so
inactive that i doubt anyone is still on it and it may have even been
closed down a few years ago without me noticing it being stopped.  I
suspect that a lot of people moved to Apache Open Office when IBM
donated it's fork of OO.o to AOO.  OpenOffice is such a close relative
of LibreOffice nowadays that it doesn't make a huge difference which
is being used imo.

I think the main thing creating a problem for "what should be" is Java
and Base.  If they can be avoided then maybe the "general rule" is
fairly valid.  With either Base or Java being used then it becomes a
lot less clear, unless things have changed radically in the last
couple of years.

On 20 January 2016 at 12:51, Andreas Säger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 20.01.2016 um 13:36 schrieb Andreas Säger:
>>
>> I used 3.5 for many years with no problems.
>>

> Oh, shit. Did I feed a troll?

TomD TomD

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Many people on this mailing list have had signatures that include
Bible quotes or such-like without anyone grumbling or anything.  I
thought it was nice to see something similar from a different religion
for a change.

steveedmonds steveedmonds

On 2016-01-21 13:42, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Many people on this mailing list have had signatures that include
> Bible quotes or such-like without anyone grumbling or anything.  I
> thought it was nice to see something similar from a different religion
> for a change.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 20 January 2016 at 12:08, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 01/20/2016 03:49 AM, Erik Jan wrote:
>>> The beauty of the free world is that everyone is free to speak their
>>> mind. You are free to think and proclaim that religion is
>>> superstition, and others are free to think and proclaim God's mercy.
>> As history and recent events have proven, those who believe in religion
>> are all too often the cause of violence.  When you believe in a
>> delusion, you can use it to justify anything, up to and including the
>> recent murders committed in "God's" name.  Religion is a cancer this
>> world can well do without.
>>
>> If "believers" kept their delusions to themselves, this world would be a
>> much better place.

James E. Lang James E. Lang

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Hi Andreas and Tom,

It was good to see that someone actually responded to the question that was asked about LO. I don't make much use of Writer so I have little but civility to contribute. I have *reflowed* your messages as quoted below my signature.

I would think that for the casual user of Writer who mostly uses it as a text document reader like the original poster said describes his usage of LO, it makes little difference which version of LO one uses.

The diatribe that occurred against the original poster's signature block is regrettable and in my opinion unwarranted. While I'm convinced that Islam is in error and Christianity is true, I can pray for the followers of Islam and for the peace of Jerusalem.

--
Jim

Am 21.01.2016 um 06:54 schrieb James E. Lang:
> Hi Andreas and Tom,
>
> It was good to see that someone actually responded to the question that was asked about LO. I don't make much use of Writer so I have little but civility to contribute. I have *reflowed* your messages as quoted below my signature.
>
> I would think that for the casual user of Writer who mostly uses it as a text document reader like the original poster said describes his usage of LO, it makes little difference which version of LO one uses.
>
> The diatribe that occurred against the original poster's signature block is regrettable and in my opinion unwarranted. While I'm convinced that Islam is in error and Christianity is true, I can pray for the followers of Islam and for the peace of Jerusalem.

I'm still convinced that the poster is not interested in the answer to
his technical question. And like so often we will not see any feedback
regarding the answers to his on topic question. Therefore I call him a
troll.

Am 21.01.2016 um 01:42 schrieb Tom Davies:

> Hi :)
> Many people on this mailing list have had signatures that include
> Bible quotes or such-like without anyone grumbling or anything.  I
> thought it was nice to see something similar from a different religion
> for a change.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

And I tend to ignore all of them instinctively. I would not have
answered this topic if I had noticed that sermon.
Interesting how the least relevant null topics trigger the most
extensive discussions on this list. Trolls at work.

zahra a zahra a

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

hi every one.
i thank you for your time and answering my question.
i was waiting to see all comments and after that reply them.
i recieved my answer from tom and also i i appreciate him specially.

On 1/21/16, Andreas Säger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 21.01.2016 um 01:42 schrieb Tom Davies:
>> Hi :)
>> Many people on this mailing list have had signatures that include
>> Bible quotes or such-like without anyone grumbling or anything.  I
>> thought it was nice to see something similar from a different religion
>> for a change.
>>
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

> And I tend to ignore all of them instinctively. I would not have
> answered this topic if I had noticed that sermon.
> Interesting how the least relevant null topics trigger the most
> extensive discussions on this list. Trolls at work.

O people! there has come to you indeed an admonition from your Lord
and a healing for what is in the breasts and a guidance and a mercy
for the believers.
Say: In the grace of Allah and in His mercy-- in that they should
rejoice; it is better than that which they gather.
holy quran, chapter 10.

please visit al-islam.org

Pedro Pedro

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Hi Andreas, all

Andreas Säger wrote
I'm still convinced that the poster is not interested in the answer to
his technical question. And like so often we will not see any feedback
regarding the answers to his on topic question. Therefore I call him a
troll.
I believe you are wrong. She has contributed with bug reports on the tracker.

If LibreOffice wants to be universally used then it needs users from other countries and cultures.
This is particularly important if LibreOffice wants to handle other characters and Right To Left (RTL) writing such as Persian or Farsi (used by around 100 million human beings)

The fact that she adds a link to a site explaining her religion doesn't shock me. In fact I think it follows the same logic of Open Source projects (such as LibreOffice). If you find a good project you want to share it with others so that they join the community and that advantage of this good thing you found.

I do not believe in any religion but I am sure that insulting people or their religion does not help in any way and am also sure that religion is not a subject for this forum.

Returning to the subject I believe it would be useful to find out what is making people stick to older (and in particular discontinued) versions. If it is because the new features in new versions are not useful to them but the version they use fulfills all their needs, then it is fine. But if the cause are regressions then it is something to worry about.

Just my 2 cents.

All the best,
Pedro
Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

On 21/01/16 12:43, Pedro wrote:
> Returning to the subject I believe it would be useful to find out what is
> making people stick to older (and in particular discontinued) versions. If
> it is because the new features in new versions are not useful to them but
> the version they use fulfills all their needs, then it is fine. But if the
> cause are regressions then it is something to worry about.

I wouldn't think this anything peculiar to LO nor is it anything to
worry about.  It is a reflection of what is happening every where in the
tech world.

Any established product (hardware or software) reaches a point in its
development where a large number of users are entirely satisfied with
the offer.  The devs keep working on new versions with some, although
increasingly fewer, new features because that is what devs do.

These newer versions with extra features are accepted as part of the
background by newcomers to the product but the extra features are
considered as uninteresting bells and whistles by large numbers of the
existing users, the old-timers who stick to what they've already got.

It is becoming increasingly more difficult to invent a new 'wheel' and
in circles where users have to buy the product, this is causing
producers to turn away from selling to renting.

Philip

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

On 01/21/2016 06:43 AM, Pedro wrote:
> Returning to the subject I believe it would be useful to find out what
> is making people stick to older (and in particular discontinued)
> versions. If it is because the new features in new versions are not
> useful to them but the version they use fulfills all their needs, then
> it is fine. But if the cause are regressions then it is something to
> worry about. Just my 2 cents.

I'm currently using LO 4.4.7.2. I recently tried LO 5.0.x (can't
remember the third digit). I suffered daily crashes with it, usually
when trying to open or save documents. I went back to 4.

I was recently thinking that my old OOo 3.2 did everything I ever needed
in an office suite. (I use writer 95% of the time, Calc 4%, and Base
once a year when I create a mailing list for my Christmas cards). I have
upgraded through the LO chain of versions mostly because they were
available. However, aside from better support for Graphite fonts like
Linux Libertine G, my LO 4 does little (for me at least) that my OOo 3.2
didn't do. For my work, OOo 3.2 was just as stable, if not more so, than
LO 4 (and *much* more stable than LO 5). I long ago gave up trying to
get OOo, or LO, or AOO to properly read and write MS Word documents, or
to have Word properly read and write .odt documents. Something is
*always* lost in translation and I only ever expect a close
approximation, which LO 4 gives me.

And there have been some changes along the way that I have definitely
not liked, such as the changes to the Templates dialog boxes (totally
unnecessary in my opinion) and the new multi-functional sidebar. At
least on my machine, (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) the sidebar defaults to a
Properties box, which I *never* use, and I have to manually switch to my
Styles box. I have tried everything to change the default box in the
sidebar to Styles but no avail.

All this to say that I'll continue to use LO 4 until it no longer
performs my work. Then I'll upgrade to the most stable of the "still"
versions available at that time. Who knows, by then it could be LO
6.x.5. But, my days of trying a newer version simply because it's
available are over.

Virgil

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: question about the best version of libreoffice:

Virgil Arrington wrote
On 01/21/2016 06:43 AM, Pedro wrote:
> Returning to the subject I believe it would be useful to find out what
> is making people stick to older (and in particular discontinued)
> versions. If it is because the new features in new versions are not
> useful to them but the version they use fulfills all their needs, then
> it is fine. But if the cause are regressions then it is something to
> worry about. Just my 2 cents.

All this to say that I'll continue to use LO 4 until it no longer
performs my work. Then I'll upgrade to the most stable of the "still"
versions available at that time. Who knows, by then it could be LO
6.x.5. But, my days of trying a newer version simply because it's
available are over.
And that is absolutely fine!  In fact for those with similar inclinations, here is a link to our archived releases:

/librreoffice/old

Of course even from these users we (the LibreOffice project) really need folks to install the developmental and pre-releases, in parallel of course [1], both to see emerging features (or regressions) but more importantly to provide feed back to the design, development and QA process. That is an aspect of care and feeding a FOSS project that users should not abdicate. LibreOffice is a great project, please participate.

Stuart

=-ref-=
1. https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

Next » 123