question

fudmer rieley fudmer rieley

question

On my linux 16.04 box .. each time i perform any function that involves
switching between tabs, or between certain activities within the same A
tab my computer goes into Oh shit mode.. it disables my keyboard
activity, and the disk goes to spinning,, the background of the
spreadsheet goes into grey mode, and it sometimes takes two or three
minutes before the full control reappears and the background returns
back from greyed out to white again.

is this this has been going on since last November.. but it has reached
epidemic proportions .. and has rendered Libre office useless on my machine

fudmer rieley fudmer rieley

Re: question

On 2020-07-27 11:39 a.m., fudmier wrote:

> On my linux 16.04 box .. each time i perform any function that
> involves switching between tabs, or between certain activities within
> the same A
> tab my computer goes into Oh shit mode.. it disables my keyboard
> activity, and the disk goes to spinning,, the background of the
> spreadsheet goes into grey mode, and it sometimes takes two or three
> minutes before the full control reappears and the background returns
> back from greyed out to white again.
>

> is this this has been going on since last November.. but it has
> reached epidemic proportions .. and has rendered Libre office useless
> on my machine

Luuk Luuk

Re: question

On 27-7-2020 20:27, fudmier wrote:

> On 2020-07-27 11:39 a.m., fudmier wrote:
>>
>> On my linux 16.04 box .. each time i perform any function that involves
>> switching between tabs, or between certain activities within the same A
>> tab my computer goes into Oh shit mode.. it disables my keyboard activity,
>> and the disk goes to spinning,, the background of the spreadsheet goes into
>> grey mode, and it sometimes takes two or three minutes before the full
>> control reappears and the background returns back from greyed out to white
>> again.
>>

>> is this this has been going on since last November.. but it has reached
>> epidemic proportions .. and has rendered Libre office useless on my machine

hard to tell without knowing some things like:

1) what is the size of this worksheet?

2) how much internal memory do you have on your machine?

3) what version of LibreOffice?

With 'linux 16.04' you probably mean Ubuntu 16.04 ? This means you should
upgrade before April 2021 (see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: question

On 7/28/20 05:31, Luuk wrote:

> On 27-7-2020 20:27, fudmier wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-07-27 11:39 a.m., fudmier wrote:
>>>
>>> On my linux 16.04 box .. each time i perform any function that
>>> involves switching between tabs, or between certain activities
>>> within the same A
>>> tab my computer goes into Oh shit mode.. it disables my keyboard
>>> activity, and the disk goes to spinning,, the background of the
>>> spreadsheet goes into grey mode, and it sometimes takes two or three
>>> minutes before the full control reappears and the background returns
>>> back from greyed out to white again.
>>>

>>> is this this has been going on since last November.. but it has
>>> reached epidemic proportions .. and has rendered Libre office
>>> useless on my machine
>>>

> hard to tell without knowing some things like:
>
> 1) what is the size of this worksheet?
>
> 2) how much internal memory do you have on your machine?
>
> 3) what version of LibreOffice?
>

> With 'linux 16.04' you probably mean Ubuntu 16.04 ? This means you
> should upgrade before April 2021 (see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)

Ubuntu 20.04.1 is due out in the next couple of weeks unless the covid
19 virus is slowing things down...

Dan

Luuk Luuk

Re: question

On 28-7-2020 15:41, fudmier wrote:

> How do you stop the updates.  ?

to Stop updates: Tools/Options/LibeOffice/Online Update   uncheck the boxes...

> Tell me how to find the version of LO that is running. Maybe its 4 from the
> listing,
> locate libreoffice   <does not say which so may be its version 4? just f/e
> dir listing.
>> 3) what version of LibreOffice?

To find the version of Libreoffice, just start Calc, and from the Menu choose
Help/About Libreoffice.

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Joe Joe

Re: question

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has been available since April. The next due out is
20.10, not due until October 2020.

--
A smile - is a sign of joy.
A hug - is a sign of love.

Blessings, Joe Conner
Joshua 24:15 "...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

mikey mikey

Re: question

I dealt with this on a calc workbook that has many (2-10 million) functions
that span from one tab to another.

On the Data Menu -> Calculate -> Autocalculate and ensure the checkmark
next to autocalculate is off.

After that performance should return to normal, but remember you have to
press the system defined key to recalc. (F9 or Ctrl+Shift+F9 in ubuntu
18.04.)

I do this for all complex sheets now, just so scrolling and editing goes
smoother.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 4:33 AM Luuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27-7-2020 20:27, fudmier wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-07-27 11:39 a.m., fudmier wrote:
> >>
> >> On my linux 16.04 box .. each time i perform any function that involves
> >> switching between tabs, or between certain activities within the same A
> >> tab my computer goes into Oh shit mode.. it disables my keyboard
> activity,
> >> and the disk goes to spinning,, the background of the spreadsheet goes
> into
> >> grey mode, and it sometimes takes two or three minutes before the full
> >> control reappears and the background returns back from greyed out to
> white
> >> again.
> >>

> >> is this this has been going on since last November.. but it has reached
> >> epidemic proportions .. and has rendered Libre office useless on my
> machine
> >>

> hard to tell without knowing some things like:
>
> 1) what is the size of this worksheet?
>
> 2) how much internal memory do you have on your machine?
>
> 3) what version of LibreOffice?
>

> With 'linux 16.04' you probably mean Ubuntu 16.04 ? This means you should
> upgrade before April 2021 (see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: question

Absolutely, but 20.04.1 LTS is a minor upgrade which has some of the
bugs of 20.04 that have been fixed prior to the cut off date set for
20.04.1. I have checked the box which will produce  the notice that a
new version is available. I do not get this notice until the *.04.1
minor upgrade is available.

An example of this occurred several years ago. The *.04 version (I do
not remember the year) failed to contain the proper driver for a
specific monitor. This was added before  the *.04.1 minor upgrade came out.

On 7/28/20 18:54, Joe wrote:

> Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has been available since April. The next due out is
> 20.10, not due until October 2020.
>
> On 7/28/20 8:43 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:

>>> hard to tell without knowing some things like:
>>>
>>> 1) what is the size of this worksheet?
>>>
>>> 2) how much internal memory do you have on your machine?
>>>
>>> 3) what version of LibreOffice?
>>>

>>> With 'linux 16.04' you probably mean Ubuntu 16.04 ? This means you
>>> should upgrade before April 2021 (see:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)
>>
>> Ubuntu 20.04.1 is due out in the next couple of weeks unless the
>> covid 19 virus is slowing things down...
>>
>> Dan

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

Re: question

If you are using the LibreOffice version from the Ubuntu repository,
please remember that it is not the official vanilla version from TDF but
is repackaged by Canonical (and as such may include bugs not present in
the official version from The Document Foundation).

LibreOffice included with Ubuntu 16.04 is very old (four years, for a
product updated every six months, are a geological era), and features of
Calc have been improved on a regular basis. We are now at 6.4.5, and in
a week we will announce 7.0.

On 7/29/20 2:12 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Absolutely, but 20.04.1 LTS is a minor upgrade which has some of the
> bugs of 20.04 that have been fixed prior to the cut off date set for
> 20.04.1. I have checked the box which will produce  the notice that a
> new version is available. I do not get this notice until the *.04.1
> minor upgrade is available.
>
> An example of this occurred several years ago. The *.04 version (I do
> not remember the year) failed to contain the proper driver for a
> specific monitor. This was added before  the *.04.1 minor upgrade came out.
>
> On 7/28/20 18:54, Joe wrote:
>> Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has been available since April. The next due out is
>> 20.10, not due until October 2020.

>>> Ubuntu 20.04.1 is due out in the next couple of weeks unless the
>>> covid 19 virus is slowing things down...
>>>
>>> Dan

mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email [hidden email]
hangout/jabber [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0