"LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Next » 12
marcpare4 marcpare4

"LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on having a
team producing such a beast.

Just an idea.

Opinions?

Marc

dhiren jani dhiren jani

RE: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Hello Marc
Its a great idea, and should be checked for feasibility.
Just a thought,
A quarterly periodical might be easier to manage initially.
Plus it would be easier to collect content over 3 months.

Dhiren Jani
Gujarat, India

> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: [libreoffice-marketing] "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world
> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:47:25 -0500
>
> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on having a
> team producing such a beast.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Marc

Sadiq Saif Sadiq Saif

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

I agree with Dhiren here. It might be difficult to produce unique and
interesting content for the duration of one month.

Also, I assume the magazine will be in PDF format?

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Quoting Marc Paré <[hidden email]>:

> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on
> having a team producing such a beast.

There is/was an openOffice.org magazine, by user's. Benjamin Horst was
the lead editor of such magazine.

Would be interesting to what comes after the fork.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs117.snc4/36216_461497016977_534036977_6216061_180463_n.jpg

> Just an idea.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Marc

Alexandro Colorado
Co-Lead OpenOffice.org ES
http://es.openoffice.org

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Quoting Marc Paré <[hidden email]>:

> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on
> having a team producing such a beast.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> Opinions?

Is actually published by a company called Linux Identity, you can see
other issues of the mag here:
http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/shop/index.php

> Marc

Alexandro Colorado
Co-Lead OpenOffice.org ES
http://es.openoffice.org

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Quoting Marc Paré <[hidden email]>:

> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on
> having a team producing such a beast.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> Opinions?

Is actually published by a company called Linux Identity, you can see
other issues of the mag here:
http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/shop/index.php

> Marc

Alexandro Colorado
Co-Lead OpenOffice.org ES
http://es.openoffice.org

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Hi Marc, all!

Am Samstag, den 27.11.2010, 15:00 -0500 schrieb Sadiq Saif:
> I agree with Dhiren here. It might be difficult to produce unique and
> interesting content for the duration of one month.

Oh, there is enough interesting content, I think ... but at the moment
it seems that we do miss contributors for even smaller tasks. I don't
the current status (Cor?), but I do think that the request for
Interviewing the Developers (or other Contributors) has been missed.

Cor asked for help, some weeks ago:
http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/msg00562.html

If somebody could pick that up and do regular interviews, then this
would help to build a better (known) community.

Cheers,
Christoph

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-27 16:10, Alexandro Colorado a écrit :

> Quoting Marc Paré <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on having
>> a team producing such a beast.
>>
>> Just an idea.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> Is actually published by a company called Linux Identity, you can see
> other issues of the mag here:
> http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/shop/index.php
>

>> Marc

>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Thanks for the links Alexandro. If we had enough manpower, we could
perhaps publish a free mag. like suggested, on a quarterly basis. It
would be interesting for members and users.

We could add it to the ideas wiki page.

Cheers

Marc

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

+1 for the Magazine

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Sadiq Saif <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Dhiren here. It might be difficult to produce unique and
> interesting content for the duration of one month.
>
> Also, I assume the magazine will be in PDF format?

we can add PDF option but just plain text email would be good for low
bandwidth users.

We can cover;

New Features
Community Events
An Interview
LibreOffice Tips
Success Stories

> On 27-11-10 11:57 AM, dhiren jani wrote:
>
>> Hello Marc
>> Its a great idea, and should be checked for feasibility.
>> Just a thought,
>> A quarterly periodical might be easier to manage initially.
>> Plus it would be easier to collect content over 3 months.
>>
>> Dhiren Jani
>> Gujarat, India
>>
>>  To: [hidden email]
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: [libreoffice-marketing] "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official
>>> monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world
>>> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:47:25 -0500
>>>
>>> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on having a
>>> team producing such a beast.
>>>
>>> Just an idea.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>

>>> --
>>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

dhiren jani dhiren jani

RE: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

I cannot commit to regular interviews every few weeks, but I can start this initiative.
I will coordinate with Cor Nouws to get some material for the website soon.

Just for clarification, is this meant to be a part of marketing effort only for the launch and subsequent initial publicity?
Regular interviews could become a release specific activity, but it would fall in the category of "good to have".
On the other hand, regular user/customer interviews, from different segments such as education, non-profit, government are a  "must have".
I can participate in those too, with a little help.

thanks
Dhiren

> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 01:14:50 +0100
>
> Hi Marc, all!
>
> Am Samstag, den 27.11.2010, 15:00 -0500 schrieb Sadiq Saif:
> > I agree with Dhiren here. It might be difficult to produce unique and
> > interesting content for the duration of one month.
>
> Oh, there is enough interesting content, I think ... but at the moment
> it seems that we do miss contributors for even smaller tasks. I don't
> the current status (Cor?), but I do think that the request for
> Interviewing the Developers (or other Contributors) has been missed.
>
> Cor asked for help, some weeks ago:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/msg00562.html
>
> If somebody could pick that up and do regular interviews, then this
> would help to build a better (known) community.
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

jonathon-3 jonathon-3

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-28 06:43, jonathon a écrit :

> On 11/27/2010 02:47 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on having a
>   team producing such a beast.
>
> Isn't that one of the things on the agenda of the marketing conference call?

I don't see it there. I just added it to the agenda.

Cheers

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-28 13:47, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-11-28 06:43, jonathon a écrit :
>>
>> On 11/27/2010 02:47 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>>> Ok if this peaked your interest, then we should really plan on having a
>> team producing such a beast.
>>
>> Isn't that one of the things on the agenda of the marketing conference
>> call?
>
> I don't see it there. I just added it to the agenda.
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

Oops! You can find the agenda here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/ConfCalls#Agenda

Cheers

Marc

Dave Johnson Dave Johnson

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Add my vote!!

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst

On Nov 27, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Is actually published by a company called Linux Identity, you can see other issues of the mag here:
> http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/shop/index.php

I, and other community members, have written for Linux Identity several times. They typically produce a special edition OpenOffice.org Magazine each year, which is printed and sold in bookstores. In NYC at least, I always see it at Barnes and Noble.

I don't know what their plans are regarding LibO, but I expect that we'll be involved again. If anyone has specific questions for them, I will be happy to forward to my contact at Linux Identity, Caroline (I don't think I know her last name).

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

On Nov 27, 2010, at 9:33 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Sadiq Saif <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Dhiren here. It might be difficult to produce unique and
>> interesting content for the duration of one month.
>>
>> Also, I assume the magazine will be in PDF format?
>>
> we can add PDF option but just plain text email would be good for low
> bandwidth users.
>
> We can cover;
>
> New Features
> Community Events
> An Interview
> LibreOffice Tips
> Success Stories

As a email newsletter, this concept matches perfectly with the idea of an end user-focused broadcast email that I've been considering. We would collect user email addresses when they download LibO from our site, and add them to our mailing list.

A precedent for this is the open source project Miro ( http://getmiro.com/ ). Click the download button on the homepage and you'll start downloading the app. While waiting, the page suggests you enter your email address, and they add you to the mailing list. Every month or so, they send a newsletter email, in HTML format, with news, reminders, events, etc. It's a good way to keep users mindful of the application and project. I think it would work for us too.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Mon Nov 29 2010 08:12:42 GMT-0800 (PST)  Benjamin Horst wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2010, at 9:33 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Sadiq Saif <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with Dhiren here. It might be difficult to produce unique and
>>> interesting content for the duration of one month.
>>>
>>> Also, I assume the magazine will be in PDF format?
>>>
>> we can add PDF option but just plain text email would be good for low
>> bandwidth users.
>>
>> We can cover;
>>
>> New Features
>> Community Events
>> An Interview
>> LibreOffice Tips
>> Success Stories
>
> As a email newsletter, this concept matches perfectly with the idea of an end user-focused broadcast email that I've been considering. We would collect user email addresses when they download LibO from our site, and add them to our mailing list.
>
> A precedent for this is the open source project Miro ( http://getmiro.com/ ). Click the download button on the homepage and you'll start downloading the app. While waiting, the page suggests you enter your email address, and they add you to the mailing list. Every month or so, they send a newsletter email, in HTML format, with news, reminders, events, etc. It's a good way to keep users mindful of the application and project. I think it would work for us too.
>
> -Ben

As long as it is made clear to the user what they are getting and that
it is not required to download the program.

Andy

On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Andy Brown wrote:

> On Mon Nov 29 2010 08:12:42 GMT-0800 (PST)  Benjamin Horst wrote:

>>> we can add PDF option but just plain text email would be good for low
>>> bandwidth users.
>>>
>>> We can cover;
>>>
>>> New Features
>>> Community Events
>>> An Interview
>>> LibreOffice Tips
>>> Success Stories
>> As a email newsletter, this concept matches perfectly with the idea of an end user-focused broadcast email that I've been considering. We would collect user email addresses when they download LibO from our site, and add them to our mailing list. A precedent for this is the open source project Miro ( http://getmiro.com/ ). Click the download button on the homepage and you'll start downloading the app. While waiting, the page suggests you enter your email address, and they add you to the mailing list. Every month or so, they send a newsletter email, in HTML format, with news, reminders, events, etc. It's a good way to keep users mindful of the application and project. I think it would work for us too.
>> -Ben
>
> As long as it is made clear to the user what they are getting and that it is not required to download the program.

Yes, this is a very important point!

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:46:02 -0600, Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Andy Brown wrote:

>>> As a email newsletter, this concept matches perfectly with the idea of
>>> an end user-focused broadcast email that I've been considering. We
>>> would collect user email addresses when they download LibO from our
>>> site, and add them to our mailing list. A precedent for this is the
>>> open source project Miro ( http://getmiro.com/ ). Click the download
>>> button on the homepage and you'll start downloading the app. While
>>> waiting, the page suggests you enter your email address, and they add
>>> you to the mailing list. Every month or so, they send a newsletter
>>> email, in HTML format, with news, reminders, events, etc. It's a good
>>> way to keep users mindful of the application and project. I think it
>>> would work for us too.
>>> -Ben
>>
>> As long as it is made clear to the user what they are getting and that
>> it is not required to download the program.
>
> Yes, this is a very important point!
>
> -Ben
>
> Benjamin Horst
> [hidden email]
> 646-464-2314 (Eastern)
> www.solidoffice.com

AFAIK there was an OOo newsletter, we used a Google Friend Connect
solution that offers you Newsletter options. However what we saw is that
there was too many venues to keep people informed. For example, we had
certain subscribers to Google Connect, others to directly the announce@
lists, and other group was on our Facebook/Linkedin groups. So in the end
it was a bit of a checklist strategy/ cut and paste solution to inform
everyone. Sure there were certain solutions like Ping.fm to have every
social network updated but it can only go so far and didnt use all of the
Facebook tools like Group updates or Friend Connect Newsletter.

A different effort in a magazine is that there is a more thorough
information articles and also is more visually acceptable. I am not sure
it has to be a montly issue however. Like people said, there is not enough
content. But having a good tackle on the planet, the tweets and other
media articles and success stories I think it can be done at least
bimonthly.

I would also look into other magazine efforts like Ubuntu Magazine, Fedora
Magazine etc. Distrowatch.com has a good compilation of FLOSS magazines.

http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue43_en.pdf
http://wiki.opensuse.org/Archive:Weekly_news_151
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue253
http://debian.org/News/project/2010/16/

--
Alexandro Colorado

Claudio F Filho Claudio F Filho

Re: "LibreOffice Magazine" -- official monthly magazine to the LibreOffice world

Hi

A later information: We, the BrOffice community, have a BrOffice
magazine[1], where we already have a method, process, volunteers,
including translations to galician[2], french[3], spanish[4] and
english[5]. (find pdf attaches)

[1]http://www.broffice.org/revista
[2]http://wiki.broffice.org/wiki/revista/galego
[3]http://wiki.broffice.org/wiki/revista/frances
[4]http://wiki.broffice.org/wiki/revista/castelhano
[5]http://wiki.broffice.org/wiki/revista/ingles

Luiz Oliveira, that are subscribed in this list, is the "general
manager" of our project. In our maganize, we have contributions from all
parts of world, and before the fork from OOo, we started a work in there
project, restarting the translations from portuguese to english, and
from english for other languages.

Actually, our magazine have sections like "Letter from our readers",
"How do we..", "Article", "Reporting", "Interview", "Tips", "Tutorials"
and "Digest of the month", where we bring news about migrations to OOo
(BrOffice, in Brazil), adoptions around the world of ODF/OOo, and many
more things. Try this edition[6].
[6]http://tinyurl.com/33g2fpj

We have interesting in help in this project, but more that it is get
many more contribution from all parts of the world.

How can we help?

Bests
Claudio

Next » 12