saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

Next » 12
darwinev0lved darwinev0lved

saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

HI, I was having problem with a docx document that work sent me (actually, this isn't the first time, but it'd be nice to sort it if poss.). When I try to save it, it crashes LO, I can recover it, I can save it as an odt but at some point I'm going to have to send it back, so I need to be able to save it as a docx.

I though it might be something off with the document itself, so I opened up a blank document and tried to save that as a docx file - well this time I got "Libreoffice 3.5 has stopped working"

So, not great.

Advice, thoughts?
Jon
darwinev0lved darwinev0lved

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

OK, so it also crashed LO 3.4.4 on ubuntu 11.10. New blank document, save as docx, boom, crash.
RustyRiley RustyRiley

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

just tried this myself, with a blank document, and could save as .docx in LO 3.5.1 and open it in Word 2010 Starter (don't bother with paying for Word) and could open successfully, so are you sure you've installed it correctly -- I tried this on Win 7 32 bit.

Rusty
darwinev0lved darwinev0lved

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

This post was updated on .
Well, I can do everything else, so yes, it's installed OK.

Sticking to testing LO on win7 for the mo.

I think it may be something to do with tables, or headers, or tables in headers.
If I open up a different template, one with no header, then I can save it as a docx, but my standard template has a 3 columned table in it - with page number in one cell, heading in the middle. Maybe it's that?

Though, that's a slight distraction from the fact that my original work document still crashes whenever I try to save it.
RustyRiley RustyRiley

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

that's hardly the same thing as "trying it out with a blank document" that you originally said!
Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 03/20/2012 09:04 AM, darwinev0lved wrote:
> OK, so it also crashed LO 3.4.4 on ubuntu 11.10. New blank document, save as
> docx, boom, crash.

Try saving as doc not docx. The most recent versions of MS Word read both.

I can not confirm the behavior of a blank document crashing LO with LO
3.5.0/Linux Mint 12 (Ubuntu 11.10) or problems routinely opening docx files.

--
Jay Lozier

yeah, sorry - been using that template for so long, that it's 'blank' to me - as was my mind when posting, clearly.
darwinev0lved darwinev0lved

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

If anybody wants to try the template to see if they can save it as a docx, it's here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.11.ott
Guy Voets Guy Voets

2012/3/20 darwinev0lved <[hidden email]>

> If anybody wants to try the template to see if they can save it as a docx,
> it's here:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.11.ott

Hi there,

I can confirm it crashes on my iMac (OS Lion 7.3) too when I try to save it
as docx.
Normally, I have no problem saving as docx in 3.5.1, so I suppose something
sticky in your template. probably easier to make a new template than to
find out why the old one crashes, but it shouldn't happen, should it?

--
Guy
using LibO 3.5 & 3.5.1 on a iMac Intel DualCore Lion

RustyRiley RustyRiley

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

crashes when attempting to save as .docx

saves as .doc

man_without_clue man_without_clue

On 03/20/2012 10:39 PM, darwinev0lved wrote:

> If anybody wants to try the template to see if they can save it as a docx,
> it's here:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.11.ott

Debian squeeze and L.O 3.5.0
Crashed as I tried to save the file as .docx

darwinev0lved darwinev0lved

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

Great minds ... so that's what I did, created a new template.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.12.ott

this still crashed LO 3.5.1 on win7 when trying to save it as docx - but doesn't crash when trying to save it on LO 3.4.4 on Ubuntu 11.10

Not sure if that counts as progress or not ...

On 20 March 2012 14:00, Guy Voets [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/3/20 darwinev0lved <[hidden email]>

> If anybody wants to try the template to see if they can save it as a docx,
> it's here:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.11.ott

Hi there,

I can confirm it crashes on my iMac (OS Lion 7.3) too when I try to save it
as docx.
Normally, I have no problem saving as docx in 3.5.1, so I suppose something
sticky in your template. probably easier to make a new template than to
find out why the old one crashes, but it shouldn't happen, should it?

--
Guy
using LibO 3.5 & 3.5.1 on a iMac Intel DualCore Lion
-- please reply only to [hidden email] --
Dodoes can't afford to have headaches

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/saving-as-docx-crashes-libreoffice-3-5-1-on-windows-7-tp3842244p3842449.html
To unsubscribe from saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7, click here.
NAML

RustyRiley RustyRiley

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

so the better solution might be to save it as a .doc file?

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/saving-as-docx-crashes-libreoffice-3-5-1-on-windows-7-tp3842244p3842471.html

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 03/20/2012 09:39 AM, darwinev0lved wrote:

> If anybody wants to try the template to see if they can save it as a docx,
> it's here:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.11.ott

I confirm it crashes LO when saving as docx but it did not crash when I
saved as doc. Recreating the template may correct the problem with docx.

--
Jay Lozier

Tom Tom

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

Weird.  It crashed my LO 3.4.5 on Ubuntu 10.04 (or 10.10 i never remember which each machine is).  I was going to suggest renaming the UserProfile but the one on this machine is fairly new.

I tried creating a new template but that didn't suffer from the same problem.  So, i attached it and CC'd the op in case that is useful.  I think some templates need to be re-done for 3.4.x branch and again for 3.5.x because LO has developed so rapidly that they go wrong occasionally.  I think it's rare but it's happened before.

I tried having a look inside the zip container but couldn't really see any significant differences.  Both claimed to have been created by OpenOffice.

If anybody wants to try the template to see if they can save it as a docx,
it's here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.11.ott

Tom Tom

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

Yes, doc is much better than docX for greater compatibility between the different Office Suites.  MS's implementation fo docX are not quite the standard they pushed through as an ISO standard.

m.a.riosv m.a.riosv

El 20/03/12 15:52, Tom Davies escribió:

> Hi :)
> Yes, doc is much better than docX for greater compatibility between the different Office Suites.  MS's implementation fo docX are not quite the standard they pushed through as an ISO standard.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

The Chapter field seems to be the problem, removing it doesn't crash.
LibreOffice 3.5.1 Win7Ult.
Miguel Ángel.

nabbler nabbler

On 20/03/2012, darwinev0lved <[hidden email]> wrote:
> HI, I was having problem with a docx document that work sent me (actually,
> this isn't the first time, but it'd be nice to sort it if poss.). When I try
> to save it, it crashes LO, I can recover it, I can save it as an odt but at
> some point I'm going to have to send it back, so I need to be able to save
> it as a docx.

Your company should be paying you to buy a legitimate copy of m$...

Why do you want LO to be a m$-clone? Who benefits?

m$ formats are irrelevant to odf. The priority for LO is superior
behaviour of the software with native formats.

How does the perfect m$-clone behaviour of LO desired by so many
unwilling to pay the m$ tax benefit the preferred proliferation of
odf?

> I though it might be something off with the document itself, so I opened up
> a blank document and tried to save that as a docx file - well this time I
> got "Libreoffice 3.5 has stopped working"
>
> So, not great.

Strategically, it is great; m$ fans are forced to make a decision: pay
the m$ to continue using and propagating the m$ formats.

Have you conducted a full cost-benefit analysis of the time you are
wasting (yours, programmers who choose to write code gratis) compared
to you buying m$ and therefore releasing more time available to
improve odf???

> Advice, thoughts?

Please create a new document in odf using LO. When you open that
document using m$ and notice the destruction of the quality of your
original document, write to m$ and ask them to explain why m$ is
unable to open your odf document properly and correctly. Don't forget
to also ask m$ how to submit a bug report for the faulty performance
of m$. Tell us the response.

uNeedStuff uNeedStuff

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

@darwinev0lved
Based on this email response maybe LibreOffice should remove this from
their website:
"Compatible with all major competitors' file formats. You can easily
import files from Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and many other
formats, and can easily save to Microsoft Office and other formats when
needed."

This person is only asking to do what the website says it can. Either it
can or it can't.
Shari

On 3/20/2012 4:21 PM, e-letter wrote:

> On 20/03/2012, darwinev0lved<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> HI, I was having problem with a docx document that work sent me (actually,
>> this isn't the first time, but it'd be nice to sort it if poss.). When I try
>> to save it, it crashes LO, I can recover it, I can save it as an odt but at
>> some point I'm going to have to send it back, so I need to be able to save
>> it as a docx.
>>
> Your company should be paying you to buy a legitimate copy of m$...
>
> Why do you want LO to be a m$-clone? Who benefits?
>
> m$ formats are irrelevant to odf. The priority for LO is superior
> behaviour of the software with native formats.
>
> How does the perfect m$-clone behaviour of LO desired by so many
> unwilling to pay the m$ tax benefit the preferred proliferation of
> odf?
>
>> I though it might be something off with the document itself, so I opened up
>> a blank document and tried to save that as a docx file - well this time I
>> got "Libreoffice 3.5 has stopped working"
>>
>> So, not great.
>>
> Strategically, it is great; m$ fans are forced to make a decision: pay
> the m$ to continue using and propagating the m$ formats.
>
> Have you conducted a full cost-benefit analysis of the time you are
> wasting (yours, programmers who choose to write code gratis) compared
> to you buying m$ and therefore releasing more time available to
> improve odf???
>
>> Advice, thoughts?
> Please create a new document in odf using LO. When you open that
> document using m$ and notice the destruction of the quality of your
> original document, write to m$ and ask them to explain why m$ is
> unable to open your odf document properly and correctly. Don't forget
> to also ask m$ how to submit a bug report for the faulty performance
> of m$. Tell us the response.

uNeedStuff uNeedStuff

Re: saving as docx crashes libreoffice 3.5.1 on windows 7

You can try saving it as a 2003 xml and office 2007/2010 should be able
to open that. I know in a previous version of Libre this worked for me.

Shari

Next » 12