side by side tables

gcatlast gcatlast

side by side tables

Hi
Ive found out how to resize tables so they dont take up the full page width (though to be honest i usually find it easier and more flexible to simply include an additional  empty column to right and left and adjust widths as required) but what i would really like to be able to do is to have two (or perhaps more) tables juxtaposed horizontally. Is there a way to align tables horizontally (without resorting to frames, which i tend to find are a right pain in the proverbials)?
Im currently using version 5.2.2.2 build 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1
Thanks
Gary

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Re: side by side tables

Gary Collins wrote:
> Hi
> Ive found out how to resize tables so they dont take up the full page width (though to be honest i usually find it easier and more flexible to simply include an additional  empty column to right and left and adjust widths as required) but what i would really like to be able to do is to have two (or perhaps more) tables juxtaposed horizontally. Is there a way to align tables horizontally (without resorting to frames, which i tend to find are a right pain in the proverbials)?
> Im currently using version 5.2.2.2 build 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1
> Thanks
> Gary

If you're set on avoiding frames, this won't help, but to be honest I'd
do it with each table in a separate frame. If you set the width and
height of the frame to the minimum allowed and tick the "AutoSize" box
for each, it will automatically adjust to the size of the table. Then
anchor and position the frames as required.

There will be a blank paragraph after the table, which prevents the
height of the frame from being reduced to only just fit the table. That
can be removed by placing the cursor in the bottom right cell of the
table and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Del.

By default, frames have a border and padding between the outside of the
frame and its contents. You might want to remove those for this purpose.

Once one frame is set up as needed, it might be easier to copy and paste
that as required rather than adding new frames and reformatting them.

--
Mark.

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: side by side tables

On 09/26/2018 03:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Gary Collins wrote:
>> Hi
>> Ive found out how to resize tables so they dont take up the full page
>> width (though to be honest i usually find it easier and more flexible
>> to simply include an additional  empty column to right and left and
>> adjust widths as required) but what i would really like to be able to
>> do is to have two (or perhaps more) tables juxtaposed horizontally.
>> Is there a way to align tables horizontally (without resorting to
>> frames, which i tend to find are a right pain in the proverbials)?
>> Im currently using version 5.2.2.2 build 1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1
>> Thanks
>> Gary
>
> If you're set on avoiding frames, this won't help, but to be honest
> I'd do it with each table in a separate frame. If you set the width
> and height of the frame to the minimum allowed and tick the "AutoSize"
> box for each, it will automatically adjust to the size of the table.
> Then anchor and position the frames as required.
>
> There will be a blank paragraph after the table, which prevents the
> height of the frame from being reduced to only just fit the table.
> That can be removed by placing the cursor in the bottom right cell of
> the table and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Del.
>
> By default, frames have a border and padding between the outside of
> the frame and its contents. You might want to remove those for this
> purpose.
>
> Once one frame is set up as needed, it might be easier to copy and
> paste that as required rather than adding new frames and reformatting
> them.

 ¬†¬† If you do this often, you probably should consider using AutoText.
(Control+F3) I have used it to inserting specific sized tables over and
over again. Actually, you should be able to do what you want with either
frames or tables multiple times.

Dan

gcatlast gcatlast

Re: side by side tables

Thanks for reply; i have indeed used cell mreging to achieve tewuired formatting, but as for sections, that's given me something new to play around with.
On Wed, 26/9/18, Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: [libreoffice-users] side by side tables
 To: [hidden email]
 Cc: "Gary Collins" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, 26 September, 2018, 14:50

 At 05:42 26/09/2018 +0000, Gary Collins
 wrote:
 >Ive found out how to resize tables
 so they don't take up the full
 >page width (though to be honest i
 usually find it easier and more
 >flexible to simply include an
 additional empty column to right and
 >left and adjust widths as required)
 but what i would really like to
 >be able to do is to have two (or
 perhaps more) tables juxtaposed
 >horizontally. Is there a way to
 align tables horizontally (without
 >resorting to frames, which i tend
 to find are a right pain in the proverbials)?

 Yup.
 o Insert a Section.
 o In the section, choose the
 appropriate number of columns. This
 applies with your section only, not the
 whole page or document.
 o Insert your table in the first
 section.
 o Insert a column break in order to
 move the insertion point to the
 next column.
 o Insert your second table.
 o Etc.

 At 05:47 26/09/2018 +0000, Gary Collins
 wrote:
 >PS to previous post
 >I know i could do this by having
 one "giant" table and just leaving
 >some empty columns &/or rows
 but it would be more flexible to have
 >two tables as then they could for
 example have different row heights
 >if necessary.

 You can achieve some of this by
 judicial merging of table cells - in
 this case cells within the one column
 of the table but not others, or
 differently in different columns.

 I trust this helps.

 Brian Barker

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: side by side tables

If I understand your question correctly....

Turn on <View><Text Boundaries> and <Table Boundaries>. This will make
it easier to see what's happening.

Read
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/60604/create-a-page-starting-with-2-columns-and-finishing-with-1-column/

This will result in even columns. Then <Table><Insert Table> in each
column after "Insert manual column break from the Insert menu".

Tested on Win7 with LibreOffice Version: 5.4.7.2 (x64)

It is very likely that you can automate this function by <Record Macro>
for a Menu of your own.

Hope this helps.