simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Next » 12

simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi *,

despite some details not being perfect, the simplified download page
is now activated on www.libreoffice.org

activated = now new-style is in menu, old one was removed from menu,
frontpage links to newstyle-downlaod

However pages below old download have not been moved yet (or better:
URL-segment has not been exchanged, so new-style is still download35
instead of download) so that when you visit the release notes you
won't get the "Download" in the first navigation highlighted.

ciao
Christian

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

I do not like this simpler one when you need to download many help and
language packs.

Is there a way to get to the old way of listing the help and language
packs available for 3.4.5 and do the same for 3.5.0?
I have 80 files to download for the 3.5.0 version and still have to
download ALL of the x86 version of DEB 3.4.5.

On 02/19/2012 10:33 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> despite some details not being perfect, the simplified download page
> is now activated on www.libreoffice.org
>
> activated = now new-style is in menu, old one was removed from menu,
> frontpage links to newstyle-downlaod
>
> However pages below old download have not been moved yet (or better:
> URL-segment has not been exchanged, so new-style is still download35
> instead of download) so that when you visit the release notes you
> won't get the "Download" in the first navigation highlighted.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Christian Lohmaier wrote (19-02-12 16:33)

> despite some details not being perfect,

What details are on the list, currently Christian, as far as you are
concerned ?

> the simplified download page is now activated on www.libreoffice.org

Thanks all!

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

I forgot to add this:

When I pressed the green button to download one of the "help packs" I
did not press the first line of words, but below them.
That gave me the "torrent" file.

I was wondering if it would be better to make that one green button into
three.
One for the actual file, one for the torrent link, and one for the
"info" link.  That way people who do not want the torrent download does
not get it like I did, or sees the button and think it is only for the
torrent downloading.  That is what I first thought when I looked at it.
That may confuse some new users.

So for the new users to LO, except the three downloads combined into one
green button image, this new design may be good.  For "power"
downloading, for those who need to download all the install files, plus
8 languages and their help packs, it does not work as well.  BUT, the
download site is designed for the beginners and newly downloading LO.

On 02/19/2012 12:55 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:

> I do not like this simpler one when you need to download many help and
> language packs.
>
> Is there a way to get to the old way of listing the help and language
> packs available for 3.4.5 and do the same for 3.5.0?
> I have 80 files to download for the 3.5.0 version and still have to
> download ALL of the x86 version of DEB 3.4.5.
>

> On 02/19/2012 10:33 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> Hi *,
>>
>> despite some details not being perfect, the simplified download page
>> is now activated on www.libreoffice.org
>>
>> activated = now new-style is in menu, old one was removed from menu,
>> frontpage links to newstyle-downlaod
>>
>> However pages below old download have not been moved yet (or better:
>> URL-segment has not been exchanged, so new-style is still download35
>> instead of download) so that when you visit the release notes you
>> won't get the "Download" in the first navigation highlighted.
>>
>> ciao
>> Christian

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi Cor, *,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Christian Lohmaier wrote (19-02-12 16:33)
>
>> despite some details not being perfect,
>
> What details are on the list, currently Christian, as far as you are
> concerned ?

I dislike that changing even one of the parameters (like switching
from rpm to deb, or switching from en-US to another language) means
going through the whole three-step process (select platform, select
language, select version).

I also don't really like moving away from the download page for this
(an the selection pages are not really sexy either) - I'd prefer if it
would be an overlay/in-page-selection instead of separate page loads.
Not sure whether you remember the demo I did on pumbaa a while back
(the one with the animations on change of one of the values).

Another item is the version selection/presenting of the different
versions - the whole thing about .0 releases and conservative users
being better served with the old release/one of the following bugfix
releases.

I'm also not entirely sure on whether it is really good to hide the
second-level navigation as it is initially planned - I find it nice to
be able to access the features page of the old release without having
to switch the version on the download page. But I did not made my mind
up on how to deal with that really/where to put the pages instead.

On the implementation side, I'd somewhat prefer if the related pages
were not flagged by hijacking meta-tags, but rather use a dedicated
control within the CMS-backend instead. But that's a minor thing
really, users don't ever see meta tags..

Even lower end: the code uses (semi) raw sql queries, and doesn't
really make use of silverstripe's datamodel - but I didn't look into
those really  - it is just a first-sight impression without giving it
a deeper look, after all it does its job :-) (thanks once again to
Anders)

ciao
Christian

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi *,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not like this simpler one when you need to download many help and
> language packs.

For the time being, the old/classic downlod page is still available -
http://www.libreoffice.org/download

> Is there a way to get to the old way of listing the help and language packs
> available for 3.4.5 and do the same for 3.5.0?

See above. But no, if you mean the full list of downloads that was at
the bottom of the old page, then no, it is not planned to get that
back.

> I have 80 files to download for the 3.5.0 version and still have to download
> ALL of the x86 version of DEB 3.4.5.

If you need to download all files, then you might want to use rsync
instead anyway.

Alternatively, you can use the plain mirrorlisting. (i.e. use
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.5.0 )

But once again: If you really want to download *all* of something,
then I suggest to pick one of the mirrrors that support rsync and use
rsync to download.
http://download.documentfoundation.org/mirrors/all.html
(or use rsync only to retrieve a list of files, and run it through
xargs (for creating parallel processes) and curl/wget))

ciao
Christian

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Anders Holbøll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 19-02-2012 21:15, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
>>
>> When I pressed the green button to download one of the "help packs" I
>> did not press the first line of words, but below them.
>> That gave me the "torrent" file.
>
> The torrent and info links should of course be removed entirely.

VETO! I strongly disagree here. I absolutely want the torrents links
to be available. Removing the possibility to use torrents will only
happen when my computers catch fire and cut me off from reverting any
changes that remove this possibility :-)

ciao
Christian

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Thanks
I did not know that the old version was still there.

I will try to download the 3.5.0 files in a few days.

I just finished the 3.4.5 DVD and I am hoping to get the NA-DVD .iso
file for 3.4.5 added to the LO list for 3.4.5 DVDs in the next few
days.  Then I will work on the 3.5.0 version after that.  I will have to
create a 3.5.x line on my "testing portal" on the LibreOffice-NA.US
site, so people can choose between 3.4.x, and now 3.5.x.  I still do not
have the Win-only 3.4.x pages up-to-date with 3.4.5 as well.  So I have
a bit of work.  Then I will need to upgrade my "kpp"
American/British/Canadian dictionary sets to the new word lists with
about 1,000 open-source, computer, and other words.  The .dic files are
finished, and I just have to redo the .oxt files to reflect them.

Now I am adding the creation of some railroad-related TV-DVD movies for
some special-needs individuals to my list.  So I am very busy for the
few hours I am able to sit at this desktop.  Today I have been on the
desktop 3 time longer than I should, and I am going to regret it with
tomorrow's pain levels.

On 02/19/2012 04:06 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Anders Holbøll<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 19-02-2012 21:15, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
>>> When I pressed the green button to download one of the "help packs" I
>>> did not press the first line of words, but below them.
>>> That gave me the "torrent" file.
>> The torrent and info links should of course be removed entirely.
> VETO! I strongly disagree here. I absolutely want the torrents links
> to be available. Removing the possibility to use torrents will only
> happen when my computers catch fire and cut me off from reverting any
> changes that remove this possibility :-)
>
> ciao
> Christian

Those links need to be there.  I would take them out of the single green
button image, and place them in a list below the "regular" file list.
Ubuntu and other Linux sites seem to have the "normal" downloads listed
first, then a "torrent" file download listing.  The "Info"  download
might need to be listed after that.  But Torrents need to be listed
somewhere.

epix epix

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi Christian, *

Am 19.02.2012 16:33, schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
> despite some details not being perfect, the simplified download page
> is now activated on www.libreoffice.org

hey cool   :-)  'clearview'

If possible I'd suggest to hide the detected language output for Windows
for one won't load e.g. 'German' but "multi" and also change the heading
from PortableApps (which it is not) to LO Portable to look less misleading.

@ Tim:  you'd better fetch your files from here
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/
or a mirror close to you,

ciao
Erich

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi all!

Cool, thanks for improvements already made.

Am Sonntag, den 19.02.2012, 16:24 -0500 schrieb webmaster for Kracked
Press Productions:

> On 02/19/2012 04:06 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> >> The torrent and info links should of course be removed entirely.
> > VETO! I strongly disagree here. I absolutely want the torrents links
> > to be available. Removing the possibility to use torrents will only
> > happen when my computers catch fire and cut me off from reverting any
> > changes that remove this possibility :-)
> >
> > ciao
> > Christian
> >
> Those links need to be there.  I would take them out of the single green
> button image, and place them in a list below the "regular" file list.
> Ubuntu and other Linux sites seem to have the "normal" downloads listed
> first, then a "torrent" file download listing.  The "Info"  download
> might need to be listed after that.  But Torrents need to be listed
> somewhere.

I feel free to point at my initial proposal for that page :-)

Here is the page example "latest features, expanded options":
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/8/80/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Features_Linux_Expanded.png

I've placed the torrent and info links in the "Download Options" area,
so that these do not interfere with the rest of the buttons content.
Plus, it makes it possible to explain stuff like "Torrents" to less
experienced users.

Here is the default page hiding the special links (collapsed options):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/7/7c/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Default_Windows_Collapsed.png

This page should work for 99% of all users. In comparison to the latest
download page being online (featuring three very similar download
buttons), it varies size/color of the buttons to visually guide the user
what download is essential and what pieces are optional. That should
speed up the decision process of users.

The full documentation and requirements list for the page is here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page

By the way, I surely missed the discussions about the button captions
and I'm sorry for being late. To me, the labels mix up what users might
expect from "LibreOffice" and how we "need" to deliver LibreOffice.
      * "Main installer": What might a user expect when downloading the
        main installer? To me, it is about the "LibreOffice Software" or
        just "LibreOffice" In my initial mockups, I've used
        only"LibreOffice", since users are primarily searching for this
        item.
      * "Translated user interface": Does a user really need that to run
        LibreOffice? The page design suggests that you need to download
        all three pieces to get (in my case) the automatically detected
        "Linux - deb (x86_64), version 3.5.0, English (US)", whilst
        en-US is included in the main installer. Finally, is it just
        about the UI, or does the language pack also include stuff like
        spellchecking? If yes, then its a language pack or localization
        pack.
      * "LibreOffice built-in help": To me it sounds a bit confusing if
        I need to separately download something which (from its name)
        suggests to be already "built-in". Again, the page design
        suggests that it is not possible to work with LibreOffice if
        this item is missed.

Again, thanks to all who helped to already improve that page so
drastically!

Cheers,
Christoph

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi Christian et al: Thanks for this.

Le 2012-02-19 10:33, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :

> Hi *,
>
> despite some details not being perfect, the simplified download page
> is now activated on www.libreoffice.org
>
> activated = now new-style is in menu, old one was removed from menu,
> frontpage links to newstyle-downlaod
>
> However pages below old download have not been moved yet (or better:
> URL-segment has not been exchanged, so new-style is still download35
> instead of download) so that when you visit the release notes you
> won't get the "Download" in the first navigation highlighted.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Here is what I do like:

* "Release notes" are now in prominence and users will read it, HOWEVER,
the "release notes page" is difficult to read -- it should be broken up
by OS, people are really not interested in reading about other systems.
They go there to read up on their OS requirements/setups.

* "X.X.X Features" are now in prominence and users will now actually
look at these! Thanks.

* Finally! our license is more at the forefront and even if users will
only skim or not even go to the page, we will train our downloaders to
recognize the acronym "LPGL" which is good marketing. Let's not forget
that this is one of the largest reason we quote people for adopting our
software.

* buttons -- I like the simplicity. HOWEVER people may get confused over
the "torrent" designation on the buttons and may wrongly assume that
they are to download in "torrent", which, for the vast majority of users
is still unknown territory. Do we really need torrent download? Can our
servers serve our user base without torrents? We are as large as the
Mozilla project -- do they use torrents? Do we not have enough server
capacity?

What I think is missing:

* java! This keeps coming up all the time with user complaints. The
dreaded "Java is missing" message. This should be addressed on the page,
especially seeing as the majority of our downloaders are Windows users.
*NOTE that I particularly like the way this is treated on the
http://fr.libreoffice.org/telecharger/#script_telechargement page. This
gives the user clear information on Java. I would also place the Java
warning note right under the buttons as this takes precedence over the
SDK and Source code notes.

* I also download 3 (EN,FR,ES) interfaces and the steps to do so are
quite lengthy. This needs to be streamlined more.

* "Handy ressources" should have one more entry saying either "Last
stable version" or something like that, and, route people to the 3.4.x
features page. This page should then have a sentence saying something
like "Recommended for those needing a fully stable product." or
something such as this. This may be of importance for institutional
installations where a stable product is important and often necessary
for implementation. People needing this last version could then find
their way back to the downloads page OR we could hang a download button
on the 3.4 page to ease them back to a simplified 3.4.x download page
(preferred).

Overall, I think this is an improvement. Offering people the choice of
one product is great. Now if we could just get the updates on the fly
rather than whole re-installation bit. ... :-)

Cheers

Marc

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Christian Lohmaier wrote (19-02-12 21:57)

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Cor Nouws<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>> What details are on the list, currently Christian, as far as you are
>> concerned ?
>
> [...]
> Another item is the version selection/presenting of the different
> versions - the whole thing about .0 releases and conservative users
> being better served with the old release/one of the following bugfix
> releases.

Picking out just this one:
maybe it's fine if there is a link to the release policy on top (1st
item) of the release notes?
The release notes have a clear link now, and people bearing more
responsibility for IT tasks, for sure will check those.

For the rest: I think the new page serves for the vast majority of the
visitors, so that is a huge improvement.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Goran Rakic Goran Rakic

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi all,

Thank you for the new download page. While I like very much Christoph
Noack's mockups, I see the current download page as a progress in a good
direction.

I would like to ask if someone can fix the language mistitle. As stated
before "sh" language code is used for "Serbian Latin" language (native:
"srpski latinicom"). I am sorry not to notice this before page went live.

For more info please see this message from the archive:
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/msg02115.html

Many thanks,
Goran Rakic

Goran Rakic Goran Rakic

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Git pull request with a patch is on Github. It would be great if someone
can push it to the main repo and update the site.

Thanks,
Goran

Dana Uto, 21 Februar, 2012 23:19 , Goran Rakic je napisao/la
> I would like to ask if someone can fix the language mistitle. As stated
> before "sh" language code is used for "Serbian Latin" language (native:
> "srpski latinicom"). I am sorry not to notice this before page went live.

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi Goran, *,

2012/2/22 Goran Rakic <[hidden email]>:
> Git pull request with a patch is on Github. It would be great if someone
> can push it to the main repo and update the site.

Make sure to also update it in pootle, otherwise the changes will be
overridden when the export from pootle is imported to the site.

Also as there have been no people screaming "nooooo! - how could you
f'k up the download page that much" but rather "coool!" - the switch
to the new-style download is now complete (i.e. url-segment of
new-style download is now /download, so existing links from external
sites, google, etc. now will get the new style one as well)

The old-style download is still available as
https://www.libreoffice.org/downloadold for the time being, and
/downlaod35 is redirecting to /download but both will be retired
without replacement after 3.5.1 is released to not confuse website
editors too much.

ciao
Christian

Goran Rakic Goran Rakic

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Dana Sre, 22 Februar, 2012 13:40 , Christian Lohmaier je napisao/la

> Make sure to also update it in pootle, otherwise the changes will be
> overridden when the export from pootle is imported to the site.

Thanks Christian.

Something is wrong with pootle, I can type new translation for mysite.pot
in "Templates" language, but there is no Save/Suggest button. If I click
prev/next arrow, my input is lost.

I beleive this is because I do not have required rights. Can you do it for
me?

Goran

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

On 12-02-19 10:33 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> despite some details not being perfect, the simplified download page
> is now activated on www.libreoffice.org
>
> activated = now new-style is in menu, old one was removed from menu,
> frontpage links to newstyle-downlaod
>
> However pages below old download have not been moved yet (or better:
> URL-segment has not been exchanged, so new-style is still download35
> instead of download) so that when you visit the release notes you
> won't get the "Download" in the first navigation highlighted.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Wow, that looks great. Many thanks for putting so much time into
improving perhaps the most important first-impression part of LibreOffice :)

Here are a few comments:

- - The Torrent and Info should not be part of the green area, I clicked
by mistake on the torrent link. Perhaps only show torrent bit *on
release day* ? At least distinguish them better.
- - I love to see the clear link to the license! Many FLOSS projects
fail on that important part.
- - The "3.5 features' link should actually be "New features in version
3.5" or similar.

I also would like to add some logic - now that you *know* that I am
using a Debian Gnu/Linux distribution, it would be important to let me
know that packages are included and available from my package manager
(in version 3.X... ) or, should i prefer to install *Manually*, then I
can use the downloads links. I am willing to help with the logic *
testing for that, for Trisquel and Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Fabián Rodríguez
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:MagicFab

- --
- --
Fabián Rodríguez

Andras Timar Andras Timar

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Hi Goran,

2012/2/23 Goran Rakic <[hidden email]>:
> Something is wrong with pootle, I can type new translation for mysite.pot
> in "Templates" language, but there is no Save/Suggest button. If I click
> prev/next arrow, my input is lost.
>
> I beleive this is because I do not have required rights. Can you do it for
> me?

Pootle is OK, but you did not have rights. Have you ever had? Now I
gave you right.

Best regards,
Andras

Goran Rakic Goran Rakic

Re: simpler download page activated for live test on www.libreoffice.org

Dana Čet, 23 Februar, 2012 22:24 , Andras Timar je napisao/la

> Hi Goran,
>

> 2012/2/23 Goran Rakic <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Something is wrong with pootle, I can type new translation for
>> mysite.pot in "Templates" language, but there is no Save/Suggest button.
>> If I click prev/next arrow, my input is lost.
>>

> Pootle is OK, but you did not have rights. Have you ever had? Now I
> gave you right.

No, I was not using Pootle before. Now I have rights to edit sr and sh,
that is great.

On the other hand I can not edit "templates" language. I do not need
rights for this, just someone to make the edit. Can you please open
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/templates/website/mysite.pot/translate/
and change message $lang['en_US']['LocaleName']['sh'] to "Serbian (Latin)"
and message $lang['en_US']['LocaleName']['sr'] to "Serbian (Cyrillic)"?
Thanks.

Unit urls are:
sh
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/templates/website/mysite.pot/translate/?unit=15308309
sr
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/templates/website/mysite.pot/translate/?unit=15308233

I sent a pull request before on Github that was commited, but this need to
be changed in Pootle too or the change will be lost on next update.

Thanks,
Goran

Next » 12