spadmin fails to run

rcdawson rcdawson

spadmin fails to run

In order to change the default printer language I attempted to run spadmin.  Logged in as root, I located the directory containing spadmin and issued the command +./spadmin".  The result was to return four lines, each reading "No protocol specified".

I am running Linux Mint 13 with KDE.

Where can I learn more about how to use this command?
Tom Tom

Re: spadmin fails to run

Hi :)
Sorry for the late response!

An 'obvious' way to get a little bit more information about any unix-based command is to add the tag "-h" or "--help" after the command.  In this case it would be something like:

spadmin -h

or

spadmin --help

It's just a quick-help, "cheat sheet".  There is a lot more info in the manual which you can access using the "man" command (seems a little sexist but it's really just short for manual).  So, try

man spadmin

Hmmm, i don't have spadmin installed on my machine so i got nothing from either of those commands.
Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: spadmin fails to run

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Tom wrote:

> Hi :)
> Sorry for the late response!
>
> An 'obvious' way to get a little bit more information about any unix-based
> command is to add the tag "-h" or "--help" after the command.  In this case
> it would be something like:
>
> spadmin -h
>
> or
>
> spadmin --help
>
> It's just a quick-help, "cheat sheet".  There is a lot more info in the
> manual which you can access using the "man" command (seems a little sexist
> but it's really just short for manual).  So, try
>
> man spadmin

my understanding is that the OP (you have deleted the original post)
wasn't getting it to run at all.

he had a funny sign in front of the command which I thought might be
an artifact produced by his email. he should be sure to invoke the
command as

./spadmin

assuming he is in the same directory or give the whole path (without
the leading dot).

> Hmmm, i don't have spadmin installed on my machine so i got nothing from
> either of those commands.

I have it but it seems to belong to openoffice in my case (on this
machine) and seems to require 'sudo' to invoke it as it's owned by
root.

> Regards from
> Tom :)

regards to you too!

F.

--
Felmon Davis

Everything in the world may be endured except continual prosperity.  -- Johann von Goethe

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: spadmin fails to run

On 08/26/2012 08:39 PM, rcdawson wrote:

Hi,

> In order to change the default printer language I attempted to run spadmin.
> Logged in as root, I located the directory containing spadmin and issued the
> command +./spadmin".  The result was to return four lines, each reading "No
> protocol specified".
>
> I am running Linux Mint 13 with KDE.
>
> Where can I learn more about how to use this command?

I have a version of Linux Mint 12 with Mate (except that I'm running
enlightenment mostly), with the following versions of LibreOffice :

/home/alex/LODEV/core/padmin/Executable_spadmin.bin.mk
/home/alex/LODEV/core/padmin/source/spadmin.sh

The above two are files from my LO development git tree.

/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/spadmin
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/spadmin.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/spadmin
/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/spadmin.bin
/opt/lodev3.6/program/spadmin
/opt/lodev3.6/program/spadmin.bin

These 6 entries all correspond to daily, or development, builds of
LibreOffice downloaded from the LibreOffice web site.

/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin.bin
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin.bin

The above 3 entries represent the version of LO provided with Mint or
via the Ubuntu PPA repositories.

You should preferably use the full path to spadmin in order to get it to
run. I don't need to be root though, for me, it runs just fine from a
Terminal as a normal user and I don't need to put the dot in front of
the script name.

Alex

Tom Tom

Re: spadmin fails to run

Do we know if this problem has been solved yet?  Has the OP been in contact?

>________________________________

rcdawson rcdawson

Re: spadmin fails to run

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 09:00:40 AM you wrote:

Hi :)
Do we know if this problem has been solved yet?  Has the OP been in contact?

This problem hasn't been solved, but I did find a work-around. The problem I was trying to address with spadmin was to change the default printing language from pdf to postscript. I didn't think reading the man page was going to solve my problem, so I didn't persue that possibility. Instead, I have just created templates with the postcript as the default. That seems to work.

It would be nice to know why spadmin doesn't run, however.

Richard

>________________________________

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/spadmin-fails-to-run-tp4003722p4004571.html

To unsubscribe from spadmin fails to run, click here.
NAML

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: spadmin fails to run

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, rcdawson wrote:

> It would be nice to know why spadmin doesn't run, however.

I was never sure what command you used.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

Warning:  Dates in calendar are closer than they appear.

rcdawson rcdawson

Re: spadmin fails to run

I attempted to run spad min as follows:

I found the directory containing spadmin.

I changed into that directory "./spadmin".

--

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/spadmin-fails-to-run-tp4003722p4004878.html

To unsubscribe from spadmin fails to run, click here.
NAML

NoOp NoOp

Re: spadmin fails to run

On 09/01/2012 05:07 PM, rcdawson wrote:
> I attempted to run spad min as follows:
>
> I found the directory containing spadmin.
> I changed into that directory  "./spadmin".
> The result was to return four lines, each reading "No protocol specified".

Then you have an installation issue:

$ locate spadmin
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/spadmin
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/spadmin.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/spadmin
/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/spadmin.bin
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.5/program/spadmin.bin
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/spadmin
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin.bin

$ cd /opt/libreoffice3.6/program/
:/opt/libreoffice3.6/program$ ./spadmin

works fine. Works the same with:
:/opt/libreoffice3.5/program$ ./spadmin
:/usr/lib/libreoffice/program$ ./spadmin

.

rcdawson rcdawson

Re: spadmin fails to run

I'm afraic my fingers got ahead of my brain.

I changed into the directory containing spadmin.

In that directory I issued the command "./spadmin" with the disappointing result mentioned before.

locate spadmin returns:

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/spadmin-fails-to-run-tp4003722p4004974.html

To unsubscribe from spadmin fails to run, click here.
NAML

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

Re: spadmin fails to run

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, rcdawson wrote:

> I attempted to run spad min as follows:
>
> I found the directory containing spadmin.
> I changed into that directory  "./spadmin".
> The result was to return four lines, each reading "No protocol specified".

ok, I don't have an answer.

I can generate a similar error switching to root using

su -

since display environment is not set up to present it for root (and
the error I get mentions the X display).

if I do

sudo opt/openoffice.org3/program/spadmin

it works; also there is a handy little program called 'sux' which
carries the X environment over when you become root.

but this may not be the cause. perhaps someone else has a better
diagnosis.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

Warning:  Dates in calendar are closer than they appear.

rcdawson rcdawson

Re: spadmin fails to run

Bingo!!!! That solved it. Run with sudo, not as root.

Thank you

Richard

--

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/spadmin-fails-to-run-tp4003722p4004975.html

To unsubscribe from spadmin fails to run, click here.
NAML

H. Stoellinger H. Stoellinger

Re: spadmin fails to run

I am at LO 3.6.0.4 under Linux-Mint-13 with KDE. My spadmin is therefor at
/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/spadmin.
Everything works fine for me when using Alt-F2 (KDE-run) and then entering
the above program.
Regards from Salzburg
H.S.