[steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

[steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hello,

this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
would be a good idea to show our support.

What do you think?

Florian

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Funny you bring this up I was just thinking about bringing it up on the
list. I +1 this i think we should have a banner that says support those
in japan or something of the sort.

On 3/12/11 2:48 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
> would be a good idea to show our support.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Florian

de-jourdain de-jourdain

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hi everybody,

2011/3/12 Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]>

> Funny you bring this up I was just thinking about bringing it up on the
> list. I +1 this i think we should have a banner that says support those in
> japan or something of the sort.
>
> On 3/12/11 2:48 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
>> would be a good idea to show our support.

I agree.

It can't be ignored. Something that is in our reach should be done. A banner
and/or maybe a message on our website.
Perhaps if there is contact with an respected institution for donations, we
can make some reference to the site of this institution.

Unfortunately, I don't have any to recommend.

David

Olivier C Olivier C

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 14:48 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
> would be a good idea to show our support.
>
> What do you think?

This is an unsolvable moral question. Anyone can always find causes more
urgent than TDF at any time.
The Japan earthquake hit the news today but what about other tragedies
going on in the background or about to happen tomorrow?

Presenting a choice to potential donors:
1) makes the assumption that TDF fundraising necessarily decreases
humanitarian donations
2) causes paralysis by making decision more difficult and painful [1]
3) will never tend to a satisfying position.

Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.

Olivier.

[1] See
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html
http://xkcd.com/871/

On 3/12/11 7:30 PM, Olivier C wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 14:48 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says it
>> would be a good idea to show our support.
>>
>> What do you think?
> This is an unsolvable moral question. Anyone can always find causes more
> urgent than TDF at any time.
> The Japan earthquake hit the news today but what about other tragedies
> going on in the background or about to happen tomorrow?
>
> Presenting a choice to potential donors:
> 1) makes the assumption that TDF fundraising necessarily decreases
> humanitarian donations
> 2) causes paralysis by making decision more difficult and painful [1]
> 3) will never tend to a satisfying position.
>
> Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
> or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.
>
> Olivier.
>

> [1] See
> http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html
> http://xkcd.com/871/

Oliver i have to disagree. No matter the amount we can offer every
little bit helps.

spaetz spaetz

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:30:22 +0100, Olivier C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is an unsolvable moral question. Anyone can always find causes more
> urgent than TDF at any time....
> Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
> or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.

Thanks for raising that. I agree

Sebastian

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hi Olivier, @ll,

Olivier C schrieb:
> On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 14:48 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:

>> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says
>> it would be a good idea to show our support.

>> What do you think?

[..]

> Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
> or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.

I also second this.

Yes, it's hard to see people needing help and can't do anything. But on
the other hand I can't see how we from TDF could help effectively. Money
in a country like Japan isn't the bottleneck which makes help failing.

So my vote:
don't stop or decrease efforts of fundraising.

Setup a solidarity note on a prominent place instead. I think it's this,
we all feel deeply.

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

sophi sophi

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hi Olivier, all,
On 13/03/2011 01:54, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

> Hi Olivier, @ll,
>
> Olivier C schrieb:
>> On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 14:48 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>>> this topic was raised on the website list, and my gut feeling says
>>> it would be a good idea to show our support.
>>> What do you think?
> [..]
>
>> Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the authority
>> or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for Japan.
> I also second this.
>
> Yes, it's hard to see people needing help and can't do anything. But on
> the other hand I can't see how we from TDF could help effectively. Money
> in a country like Japan isn't the bottleneck which makes help failing.
>
> So my vote:
> don't stop or decrease efforts of fundraising.
>
> Setup a solidarity note on a prominent place instead. I think it's this,
> we all feel deeply.
Yes, I second your point of view too.

Kind regards
Sophie

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Le Sun, 13 Mar 2011 14:37:58 +0300,
sophie <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Olivier, all,
> On 13/03/2011 01:54, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> > Hi Olivier, @ll,
> >
> > Olivier C schrieb:
> > [..]
> >
> >> Please focus on the Document Foundation. TDF neither has the
> >> authority or ability to save lives or efficiently fund relief for
> >> Japan.
> > I also second this.
> >
> > Yes, it's hard to see people needing help and can't do anything.
> > But on the other hand I can't see how we from TDF could help
> > effectively. Money in a country like Japan isn't the bottleneck
> > which makes help failing.
> >
> > So my vote:
> > don't stop or decrease efforts of fundraising.
> >
> > Setup a solidarity note on a prominent place instead. I think it's
> > this, we all feel deeply.
> Yes, I second your point of view too.

+1 as well. I think what's going on in Japan is shocking and terrible
(I'm stuck to online news and twitter feeds atm) but we TDF has no
fundamental material way to help out -unless someone comes up with an
idea.

Let's hope and pray for Japan,

Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2011-03-13 12.58:
> +1 as well. I think what's going on in Japan is shocking and terrible
> (I'm stuck to online news and twitter feeds atm) but we TDF has no
> fundamental material way to help out -unless someone comes up with an
> idea.
>
> Let's hope and pray for Japan,

two hearts are beating in my breast here -- on the one hand, sure, we
cannot do that much. On the other hand, it's a question of grace to
freeze our fundraising for a few days, to show there are more important
things at the moment... but I am undetermined.

What I did, however, was sending out this Tweet, and I guess I did this
on behalf of everyone: https://identi.ca/notice/66819328

Florian

André Schnabel André Schnabel

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hi,

> Von: Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>

> two hearts are beating in my breast here -- on the one hand, sure, we
> cannot do that much. On the other hand, it's a question of grace to
> freeze our fundraising for a few days, to show there are more important
> things at the moment... but I am undetermined.

I'd like to second Olivier Cleynen's mail - there will *always* be things
that are more important than TDF fundraising. No matter how important
we feel TDF is - it is only just a very little piece in what is
important for mankind at any given time. But - it actually is the
piece we decided to take care about.

So - really, my thoughts and wishes are with all the people in Japan,
I owe highest respect to all those people who are currently going
to Japan to help there - I hope, all these helping people will be
successfull and get the situation under control very soon and will be
able to save lives.

But these are my private thoughts - and as the person that I am I'd
encourage everyone to see if there is something she could do to help
to ease many of the problems (currently in Japan, but there are many
more problems).

Anyway - TDF should continue to take care about TDF's mission.

regards,

André

Hirano Kazunari Hirano Kazunari

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hi all,

Thanks for your consideration.

Your words on the TDF lists are really encouraging.

Since I live in Ichinoseki next to Rikuzentakada and Ofunato, the
coast area devastated by the tsunami, I will do my best to help and
support people who are evacuated from the area.

We Japanese, from the bottom of our heart, appreciate your help and
supports form abroad.

If you take a look at some articles in my blog " http://openoffice.exblog.jp/ "
you will see the grave situation.

Thanks,
khirano

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Andre Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Von: Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
>

>> two hearts are beating in my breast here -- on the one hand, sure, we
>> cannot do that much. On the other hand, it's a question of grace to
>> freeze our fundraising for a few days, to show there are more important
>> things at the moment... but I am undetermined.
>
> I'd like to second Olivier Cleynen's mail - there will *always* be things
> that are more important than TDF fundraising. No matter how important
> we feel TDF is - it is only just a very little piece in what is
> important for mankind at any given time. But - it actually is the
> piece we decided to take care about.
>
> So - really, my thoughts and wishes are with all the people in Japan,
> I owe highest respect to all those people who are currently going
> to Japan to help there - I hope, all these helping people will be
> successfull and get the situation under control very soon and will be
> able to save lives.
>
> But these are my private thoughts - and as the person that I am I'd
> encourage everyone to see if there is something she could do to help
> to ease many of the problems (currently in Japan, but there are many
> more problems).
>

> Anyway - TDF should continue to take care about TDF's mission.
>
> regards,
>
> André

Tom Tom

Re: [steering-discuss] Reducing donation ads

Hi :)

I think the devastation is on such a massive scale it makes the twin towers
incident seem tiny, contained and inconsequential by comparison yet that had
repercussions globally.  All disasters are, of course, horrendous but the scale
of this is unprecedented.

The Japanese people have given us some great technological advances and a higher
level of production and productivity than we would have had otherwise.  I think
it is time the rest of the world took the opportunity to repay some of that
debt.

I don't think that switching our fund-raising from TDF to the Japanese people
would set a precedent for supporting any and every relatively minor disaster
from now on.  At least i hope we never see anything of this scale again.

________________________________

Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti

On 18/03/2011 Kazunari Hirano wrote:
> We Japanese, from the bottom of our heart, appreciate your help and
> supports form abroad.
> If you take a look at some articles in my blog " http://openoffice.exblog.jp/ "
> you will see the grave situation.

Thanks khirano for your reconstruction efforts and your frequent updates
from Japan.

For those who haven't followed, khirano asked the OpenOffice.org
community (for the broadest possible meaning of this term, I'd say) for
help; donations are being collected using the existing channels, see
http://openoffice.org/projects/qa/lists/dev/archive/2011-03/message/39
and the first donations have already been sent him.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Andrea Pescetti wrote on 2011-03-25 23.59:
> Thanks khirano for your reconstruction efforts and your frequent updates
> from Japan.
>
> For those who haven't followed, khirano asked the OpenOffice.org
> community (for the broadest possible meaning of this term, I'd say) for
> help; donations are being collected using the existing channels, see
> http://openoffice.org/projects/qa/lists/dev/archive/2011-03/message/39
> and the first donations have already been sent him.

we had a hard time thinking of what is right - but we received lots of
feedback from Japan, also from people who were directly affected, and
most of them told us that TDF should follow its mission.

What I will do today, is to privately tweet some information from
friends in Japan, to raise awareness and make people donate.

Florian