tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

Next » 12
krackedpress krackedpress

tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

I just read a article about adding "tabs" to Word that allows you to
have multiple Word documents own in tabs, like you have for Firefox or
IE.  The lady was saying that she had 4 or 5 Word documents open at the
same time and the "tab" option.  She said she would be lost without web
browsers having tabs, so it just makes sense to have such an option in Word.

So I was wondering if anyone knows any add-on to LibreOffice that would
allow multiple Writer docs open at the same time in without having
multiple instances of LO open at the same time.  That would make life
easier sometimes.  Since OOo's extension site is not working half the
time, I thought someone here might know of such an extension.

I just wish she would get her ""story" straight since she promotes open
source office suite options as the alternative to MSO.  Here she tells
people she uses Word, while other articles tells people about the virtue
of using OOo, then LibreOffice, instead of MSO.

toki toki

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

2011/5/27 webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <[hidden email]>:

> I just read a article about adding "tabs" to Word that allows you to have
> multiple Word documents own in tabs, like you have for Firefox or IE.  The
> lady was saying that she had 4 or 5 Word documents open at the same time and
> the "tab" option.  She said she would be lost without web browsers having
> tabs, so it just makes sense to have such an option in Word.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone knows any add-on to LibreOffice that would
> allow multiple Writer docs open at the same time in without having multiple
> instances of LO open at the same time.  That would make life easier
> sometimes.  Since OOo's extension site is not working half the time, I
> thought someone here might know of such an extension.

Not that I know of, but I can't really see the need for it. I would
just put all the Writer documents at the same desktop area and all the
other applications on other desktop areas, making it easy to switch
between them with a keyboard shortcut (Mod4+⇥ in my case) and just
about as easy to switch to another open application by Ctrl+Alt+→ or
Ctrl+Alt+←.

But if you really want this, you could file a ”bug report” about it.
Yes, it's not a bug, but you can also wish for enhancements there.

Best regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 11:14 27/05/2011 -0400, Nobody Noname wrote:

>I just read a article about adding "tabs" to Word that allows you to
>have multiple Word documents own in tabs, like you have for Firefox
>or IE.  The lady was saying that she had 4 or 5 Word documents open
>at the same time and the "tab" option.  She said she would be lost
>without web browsers having tabs, so it just makes sense to have
>such an option in Word.
>
>So I was wondering if anyone knows any add-on to LibreOffice that
>would allow multiple Writer docs open at the same time in without
>having multiple instances of LO open at the same time.  That would
>make life easier sometimes.  Since OOo's extension site is not
>working half the time, I thought someone here might know of such an extension.

I think you are missing the point here!  If you open, say, Internet
Explorer, when it's already running, you get another instance.   Tabs
change that - don't they? - so that you can have multiple pages
within one instance.  But it's been a very long time since Word has
behaved like that: if you start Word when it is already running, it
merely opens another document in the same instance of the
program.  This is despite your seeing separate windows.

In fact, OpenOffice and LibreOffice are already ahead of that, since
they are integrated suites, so you can even open multiple documents
of different types in one instance of the program.  You can have a
text document and a spreadsheet both open in the same instance of the
suite (which is why it's sometimes unhelpful to think of Writer and
Calc as being separate programs).  Try opening a spreadsheet from
within Word or a text document from within Excel: no joy!

The way you move between multiple documents in applications is
generally using the Window menu - and this works in OpenOffice and
LibreOffice as in anything else.  And with these suites, you even get
all open documents, even if of different types.  (With the ribbon,
this appears under View | Window in recent versions of Word.)

What you could be asking for, then, is not the ability to have
multiple documents open in a single instance - which is already here
- but simply a move from a Window menu to tabs as a way of handling them.

Unless I misunderstand things ...

>I just wish she would get her "story" straight since she promotes
>open source office suite options as the alternative to MSO.  Here
>she tells people she uses Word, while other articles tell people
>about the virtue of using OOo, then LibreOffice, instead of MSO.

Isn't it possible that both may have their pros and cons?

Brian Barker

On 05/27/2011 12:19 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 11:14 27/05/2011 -0400, Nobody Noname wrote:
>> I just read a article about adding "tabs" to Word that allows you to
>> have multiple Word documents own in tabs, like you have for Firefox
>> or IE.  The lady was saying that she had 4 or 5 Word documents open
>> at the same time and the "tab" option.  She said she would be lost
>> without web browsers having tabs, so it just makes sense to have such
>> an option in Word.
>>
>> So I was wondering if anyone knows any add-on to LibreOffice that
>> would allow multiple Writer docs open at the same time in without
>> having multiple instances of LO open at the same time.  That would
>> make life easier sometimes.  Since OOo's extension site is not
>> working half the time, I thought someone here might know of such an
>> extension.
>
> I think you are missing the point here!  If you open, say, Internet
> Explorer, when it's already running, you get another instance.   Tabs
> change that - don't they? - so that you can have multiple pages within
> one instance.  But it's been a very long time since Word has behaved
> like that: if you start Word when it is already running, it merely
> opens another document in the same instance of the program.  This is
> despite your seeing separate windows.
>
> In fact, OpenOffice and LibreOffice are already ahead of that, since
> they are integrated suites, so you can even open multiple documents of
> different types in one instance of the program.  You can have a text
> document and a spreadsheet both open in the same instance of the suite
> (which is why it's sometimes unhelpful to think of Writer and Calc as
> being separate programs).  Try opening a spreadsheet from within Word
> or a text document from within Excel: no joy!
>
> The way you move between multiple documents in applications is
> generally using the Window menu - and this works in OpenOffice and
> LibreOffice as in anything else.  And with these suites, you even get
> all open documents, even if of different types.  (With the ribbon,
> this appears under View | Window in recent versions of Word.)
>
> What you could be asking for, then, is not the ability to have
> multiple documents open in a single instance - which is already here -
> but simply a move from a Window menu to tabs as a way of handling them.
>
> Unless I misunderstand things ...

I do not deal with more than 1 to 3 different office type of documents
at a time.  But for the person who writes books, papers, and other
things like that, could have the main document in one tab, the
bibliography in a 2nd, a footnote section in a 3rd, notes and other
research in still others. Then tabbing between documents might be easier
than between "programs" shown on the task bar.  I know of one author
that went from StarOffice to OOo and from Windows to Linux since he used
a different style of keyboard, instead of QWERTY, and Linux was easier
to setup that keyboard that was easier for him to use.  He also wrote
his own macros to do functions he needed, or wanted, that would help him
write his 3 to 5 paperback novels a year.  His wife still use Windows
since they could not get the Linux machine to work with the dial-up
modem.  I do not know if he will be moving over to LibreOffice, not that
Oracle owns the rights to the name.

I think the tabbed document idea would work great for the type of work
he described doing in his author's note at the end of most of his books,
or his monthly blog.  For me having tabbed web pages in Firefox works
for my need to page back and forth between web "documents" to keep up
with weather reports[2 pages], hourly/daily reports on what my computer
is doing with BOINC, several LibreOffice related pages including several
wiki pages, and whatever other web pages I need to keep an eye one and
do not want to have to open up every time I want to see some info.

If I wanted to deal with writing, like I use to work on for thesis
papers, I thing having a tabbed work environment would help keeping all
the various documents together and arranged more neatly than the ways I
had to deal with in the past.  Also it would give me only one listing in
the task bar realistate when I have to have many different programs open
at the same time.  I currently have a simple schedule, computer monitor,
BOINC manager, LibreOffice, Thunderbird-main, this email in Thunderbird,
and FireFox [with its own 7 tabs].  If I had to have 3 or more
LibreOffice documents open, the task bar package names would get too
small to mean anything to identify which LO task belongs to which
document.  I once has over 15 tasks open at the same time, and it was a
pain.  Tabbed document management withing LibreOffice would reduce that
mess sometimes.

>> I just wish she would get her "story" straight since she promotes
>> open source office suite options as the alternative to MSO.  Here she
>> tells people she uses Word, while other articles tell people about
>> the virtue of using OOo, then LibreOffice, instead of MSO.
>
> Isn't it possible that both may have their pros and cons?
>
> Brian Barker

Cliff Scott-3 Cliff Scott-3

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

** Reply to message from webmaster for Kracked Press Productions
<[hidden email]> on Fri, 27 May 2011 15:53:44 -0400

> [...]
>
> If I wanted to deal with writing, like I use to work on for thesis
> papers, I thing having a tabbed work environment would help keeping all
> the various documents together and arranged more neatly than the ways I
> had to deal with in the past.  Also it would give me only one listing in
> the task bar realistate when I have to have many different programs open
> at the same time.  I currently have a simple schedule, computer monitor,
> BOINC manager, LibreOffice, Thunderbird-main, this email in Thunderbird,
> and FireFox [with its own 7 tabs].  If I had to have 3 or more
> LibreOffice documents open, the task bar package names would get too
> small to mean anything to identify which LO task belongs to which
> document.  I once has over 15 tasks open at the same time, and it was a
> pain.  Tabbed document management withing LibreOffice would reduce that

Organizationally I can see it as being useful. Are you aware that, at least
in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I find that much
faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a bunch of tasks running it's
not so handy, but normally you are only switching between a few windows and
it is very quick.

Pedro Pedro

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

>Are you aware that, at least
>in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I find that much
>faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a bunch of tasks running it's
>not so handy, but normally you are only switching between a few windows and
>it is very quick.

Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)
Pedro Pedro

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

@toki, thank you for the tip.

The extension does work with LO version 3.4. It's a shame it has no options. I would rather have the tabs on top (like in Firefox :) )

Maybe one of the developers (I heard there are nearly 200 :) ) can do a quick fix to this extension ;)

It would surely be useful when I have 6 or 7 spreadsheets open at once...

On 05/27/2011 06:27 PM, plino wrote:
>> Are you aware that, at least
>> in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I find that much
>> faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a bunch of tasks running
> it's
>> not so handy, but normally you are only switching between a few windows and
>> it is very quick.
> Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between
> documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)

Sorry, but I use Ubuntu as my main system.
I use Vista on my dual boot laptop only when I have no other choice.

Earl Melton Earl Melton

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

> >> in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I  find that
much
> >> faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a  bunch of tasks running
> > it's
> >> not so handy, but normally you  are only switching between a few windows
and
> >> it is very  quick.
> > Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same  between
> > documents (or tabs) within the same program?  :)
> >
> Sorry, but I use Ubuntu as my main system.
> I use Vista on my  dual boot laptop only when I have no other choice.

I just opened two Writer docs, a Calc workbook, and Sunday's service
presentation in Impress. Using Ubu 10.04 LTS, I can Alt+Tab to/from any of these
LibO files and/or Firefox to my little ticker's content. But then, perhaps I
don't understand the problem. :-(

I also have a query about Impress and PowerPoint, but s'pect I'd better send it
in another post.

--
I'm so busy, I can't remember whether I found a rope or lost my horse!
 <>< Earl

Cliff Scott-3 Cliff Scott-3

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

** Reply to message from plino <[hidden email]> on Fri, 27 May 2011
15:27:13 -0700 (PDT)

> >Are you aware that, at least
> >in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I find that much
> >faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a bunch of tasks running
> it's
> >not so handy, but normally you are only switching between a few windows and
> >it is very quick.
>
> Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between
> documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)

That works also, but ALT+Tab for me, is an easier finger movement and Win
treats each document in LO or OO as a separate window so if I have to bounce
between two LO windows either one accomplishes the task.

Tom Tom

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

In Ubuntu the Alt & Tab works fine but Ctrl Tab works differently in different
apps.

In a command window it just seems to try to tab-complete the command rather than
switching to the next tab.  When i had tabs open in the default file-browser
(nautlius) or the default text-editor Ctrl Tab just moved me around the
buttons/icons (with shift it moved me backwards through them).  It did work in
both web-browsers i use quite often, FireFox and Seamonkey and i really like it
there.

Thanks for the tip :)

2011/5/28 webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <[hidden email]>:

> On 05/27/2011 06:27 PM, plino wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you aware that, at least
>>> in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I find that
>>> much
>>> faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a bunch of tasks running
>>
>> it's
>>>
>>> not so handy, but normally you are only switching between a few windows
>>> and
>>> it is very quick.
>>
>> Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between
>> documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)
>>
> Sorry, but I use Ubuntu as my main system.
> I use Vista on my dual boot laptop only when I have no other choice.

A bit off topic:
Then your options are even better. Ctrl+Tab (Ctrl+⇥) works in Ubuntu
(and probably in all the other GNU/Linux-distributions as well), but
if you installed the Compiz-Fusion settings manager, you have so many
more options.
Of course I tweaked everything in my system, so I don't really
remember how it worked before all those tweaks, but I am 100% sure
that Ctrl+⇥ works by default. Maybe also Mod4+⇥ (I think the Mod4 key
is associated to the Win-key by default), or maybe I tweaked that one
myself…

And I am pretty sure you can switch between desktops with Ctrl+Alt+→
and Ctrl+Alt+←, but as I said, explore the Compiz-Fusion settings
since there is so much more you can do there. Compiz-Fusion is
installed by default in Ubuntu these days, but for some strange reason
the settings manager is not…! You can easily install it with Synaptic
or the Ubuntu software center though, just search for
”compizconfig-settings-manager” in there. Or install it from a
terminal:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

The settings manager will end up at System → Preferences, so go there
and have some fun…!

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

On 05/27/2011 09:33 PM, Cliff Scott wrote:

> ** Reply to message from plino<[hidden email]>  on Fri, 27 May 2011
> 15:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
>
>>> Are you aware that, at least
>>> in Win. that you can move between documents using Alt+tab? I find that much
>>> faster than trying to use a mouse. If you have a bunch of tasks running
>> it's
>>> not so handy, but normally you are only switching between a few windows and
>>> it is very quick.
>> Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between
>> documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)
>>
> That works also, but ALT+Tab for me, is an easier finger movement and Win
> treats each document in LO or OO as a separate window so if I have to bounce
> between two LO windows either one accomplishes the task.

As I said, that is Windows, but what about both Linux or Mac?  The idea
of tabbed documents IN LibreOffice would be a cross-platform idea and
not depend on knowing a shortcut for a particular platform.

It would be nice to have this tabbed option like in Firefox.  It would
be easier to use than having multiple LO tasks in the task bar [bottom,
side, or top of the screen] when you already have 4 or 5 other packages
open at the same time.  The idea is a good one to look into.  Other
non-office packages are either doing it by default, or by extension.  LO
user might benefit from such an idea, since they may already using the
idea in those other packages.  I sure use tabs in my Firefox and
Thunderbird use.  It would help me when I use LibreOffice, sometimes.

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

2011/5/28 webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <[hidden email]>:

> On 05/27/2011 09:33 PM, Cliff Scott wrote:
>>
>> ** Reply to message from plino<[hidden email]>  on Fri, 27 May 2011
>> 15:27:13 -0700 (PDT)

>>> it's

>>> Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between
>>> documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)
>>>
>> That works also, but ALT+Tab for me, is an easier finger movement and Win
>> treats each document in LO or OO as a separate window so if I have to
>> bounce
>> between two LO windows either one accomplishes the task.
>>
> As I said, that is Windows, but what about both Linux or Mac?  The idea of
> tabbed documents IN LibreOffice would be a cross-platform idea and not
> depend on knowing a shortcut for a particular platform.

I accidently said earlier that you switch between open applications in
GNU/Linux (at least with Gnome as the desktop environment; I don't
know about KDE, LXDE and the others) with Ctrl+⇥. I don't really know
why I wrote that, because it's plain wrong. Of course I meant Alt+⇥,
nothing else (yes,  .

On 05/28/2011 07:22 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> it's
>>> Are you aware that if you press Ctrl+Tab you can do the same between
>>> documents (or tabs) within the same program? :)
>>>
>> Sorry, but I use Ubuntu as my main system.
>> I use Vista on my dual boot laptop only when I have no other choice.
> A bit off topic:
> Then your options are even better. Ctrl+Tab (Ctrl+⇥) works in Ubuntu
> (and probably in all the other GNU/Linux-distributions as well), but
> if you installed the Compiz-Fusion settings manager, you have so many
> more options.
> Of course I tweaked everything in my system, so I don't really
> remember how it worked before all those tweaks, but I am 100% sure
> that Ctrl+⇥ works by default. Maybe also Mod4+⇥ (I think the Mod4 key
> is associated to the Win-key by default), or maybe I tweaked that one
> myself…
>
> And I am pretty sure you can switch between desktops with Ctrl+Alt+→
> and Ctrl+Alt+←, but as I said, explore the Compiz-Fusion settings
> since there is so much more you can do there. Compiz-Fusion is
> installed by default in Ubuntu these days, but for some strange reason
> the settings manager is not…! You can easily install it with Synaptic
> or the Ubuntu software center though, just search for
> ”compizconfig-settings-manager” in there. Or install it from a
> terminal:

Never heard of Compiz-Fusion.  I just installed it and will look at it
when I have time.

2011/5/28 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:

> 2011/5/28 webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <[hidden email]>:
>> On 05/27/2011 09:33 PM, Cliff Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> ** Reply to message from plino<[hidden email]>  on Fri, 27 May 2011
>>> 15:27:13 -0700 (PDT)

>>> That works also, but ALT+Tab for me, is an easier finger movement and Win
>>> treats each document in LO or OO as a separate window so if I have to
>>> bounce
>>> between two LO windows either one accomplishes the task.
>>>
>> As I said, that is Windows, but what about both Linux or Mac?  The idea of
>> tabbed documents IN LibreOffice would be a cross-platform idea and not
>> depend on knowing a shortcut for a particular platform.

Oops, I accidently sent this before I was finished… I hate my keyboard…

Okay, I'll take it from the beginning:

I accidently said earlier that you switch between open applications in
GNU/Linux (at least with Gnome as the desktop environment; I don't
know about KDE, LXDE and the others) with Ctrl+⇥. I don't really know
why I wrote that, because it's plain wrong. Of course I meant Alt+⇥,
nothing else (yes, ”⇥” is the Tab key), so it's just like in Windows,
except that you have more than one desktop (user settable between 1
and 1024 with Compiz if I recall correctly, and most of the well known
GNU/Linux-distributions comes with Compiz pre-installed).

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

>> It would be nice to have this tabbed option like in Firefox.  It would be
>> easier to use than having multiple LO tasks in the task bar [bottom, side,
>> or top of the screen] when you already have 4 or 5 other packages open at
>> the same time.  The idea is a good one to look into.  Other non-office
>> packages are either doing it by default, or by extension.  LO user might
>> benefit from such an idea, since they may already using the idea in those
>> other packages.  I sure use tabs in my Firefox and Thunderbird use.  It
>> would help me when I use LibreOffice, sometimes.

>> deleted

eresus eresus

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

I strongly back up this request. I created a bug requesting this feature on 2011-05-12 .

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37134

It's very helpful when you write a paper or an article and have to deal with 5-15 reference/source texts at once. Without tabs you are simply lost...

As most of the users and developers don't see the point in it, it could be done as an extension, i.e. the existing OO.o extension can be reworked. The current version breaks when you start the application-choice window in OO.o/LO and want to see the Window tab in Menu.
Tom Tom

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

________________________________
I strongly back up this request. I created a bug requesting this feature on
2011-05-12 .

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37134

It's very helpful when you write a paper or an article and have to deal with
5-15 reference/source texts at once. Without tabs you are simply lost...

As most of the users and developers don't see the point in it, it could be
done as an extension, i.e. the existing OO.o extension can be reworked. The
current version breaks when you start the application-choice window in
OO.o/LO and want to see the Window tab in Menu.

Hi :)
+1
People said that web-browsers wouldn't benefit from tabs and often people
initially find the transition to using tabs in newer IEs difficult at first.
Once they do start using tabs  people find them indispensable fairly quickly!
Now i find Windows clumsy because it doesn't have tabs for file-browsing or
anything else.  IE's implementation is really clumsy but by following Firefox,
Opera, Chrome and all the rest it seems to be getting there.
Roland Hughes Roland Hughes

Re: tabs in LibreOffice - like you can do for MS-Word?

Until you implement tabbed document divisions exactly as existed in
Lotus WordPro all this discussion of tabs is like Microsoft talking
about how good their security is...of no benefit to anyone because it is
a joke.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com
http://www.infiniteexposure.net

No U.S. troops have ever lost their lives defending our ethanol
reserves.

Next » 12